I'm not going to freak out...yet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm not going to freak out...yet

Welker gone. Amendola in.

If this were the END of free agency...well, I'd be very unhappy. But it isn't. It's the beginning.

I assume the Pats will spend to the cap, as they often do. That being said...maybe Talib comes back. Maybe Jennings gets added. Perhaps someone like Abraham.

Immediately...I'm not one bit happy Welker is gone for incrementally more money than they gave a far less proven wr. Then I remember, Welker was once Amendola...maybe Amendola stays healthy, and he'll be a decent replacement. More importantly, maybe Gronk and Hernandez actually stay healthy, together, for a whole season.

It hard to accept as the "sexy" free agents go fast and furious...but let's give it a little time.

We won't really know the impact of all  of this until january anyway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Re: I'm not going to freak out...yet

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Welker gone. Amendola in.

If this were the END of free agency...well, I'd be very unhappy. But it isn't. It's the beginning.

I assume the Pats will spend to the cap, as they often do. That being said...maybe Talib comes back. Maybe Jennings gets added. Perhaps someone like Abraham.

Immediately...I'm not one bit happy Welker is gone for incrementally more money than they gave a far less proven wr. Then I remember, Welker was once Amendola...maybe Amendola stays healthy, and he'll be a decent replacement. More importantly, maybe Gronk and Hernandez actually stay healthy, together, for a whole season.

It hard to accept as the "sexy" free agents go fast and furious...but let's give it a little time.

We won't really know the impact of all  of this until january anyway.

All you have to remember is there has been a Tom Brady since 2000-2001 without Wes Welker, who was Welker before Brady

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Fortunatly, games aren't played right now. So Jack...or Greg, or Aqib...don't need to be seen right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Welker had some great regular season numbers, but never made the catch in the playoffs when it needed to be made. The last SB appearence is one example, & last season's playoffs he looked like he was afraid to get hit. If I saw that, you know know NE's staff saw that & it's backed up by tapes of the game they've watched. There's a reason they offered what they did.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What kills me is the Rams were only offering Amendola 4mil a year for less years (gee think they know his injury risk?) but the Pats had to offer 6.1 (.1 more then Welker) for 5 yrs (didn't Welker want 5 yrs last year?). It seems like they overpayed just to spite Welker and that I can't stad on multiple levels

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tman0325. Show tman0325's posts

He took less to spite them, they paid more to spite him.  Is life happens all the time.  32 year old receivers going over the middle equals disaster waiting to happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to tman0325's comment:

He took less to spite them, they paid more to spite him.  Is life happens all the time.  32 year old receivers going over the middle equals disaster waiting to happen.

according to reports they only offered him 2yrs 10mil so no e actually took more. And if the Pats gave more then they should have just to spite a player then they shouldn't be dealing with contracts in the first place because that's insanely bad business and petty

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

What kills me is the Rams were only offering Amendola 4mil a year for less years (gee think they know his injury risk?) but the Pats had to offer 6.1 (.1 more then Welker) for 5 yrs (didn't Welker want 5 yrs last year?). It seems like they overpayed just to spite Welker and that I can't stad on multiple levels

It's possible the Pats really thought they could get Welker at 5 million, then when they lost him got scared and felt they had to sign Amendola.  I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is one of several possible scenarios.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

It's possible the Pats really thought they could get Welker at 5 million, then when they lost him got scared and felt they had to sign Amendola.  I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is one of several possible scenarios.

come on Pro. The .1 per season more and the 5 years exactly that welker was looking for previously? Esp how quick Amendola signed the deal. It was a spite contract and way above everything else Amendola was given. Amendola needs to send Welker a fruit basket with a thank you card

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

come on Pro. The .1 per season more and the 5 years exactly that welker was looking for previously? Esp how quick Amendola signed the deal. It was a spite contract and way above everything else Amendola was given. Amendola needs to send Welker a fruit basket with a thank you card

I don't believe the Pats would throw away 2 million dollars just for revenge. Kraft is Jewish not Sicilian! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't believe the Pats would throw away 2 million dollars just for revenge. Kraft is Jewish not Sicilian! 

and BB wouldn't keep his #1 receiver off the field in an important playoff game because he made some funny comments at a presser. Look at FA histories with the Pats they are full of spiteful events. The one lesser I get out of this if I was a player is to never sign that franchise tag and hold out because they will screw you if you do. When playing poker the key to bluffing is sometimes you have to hold the cards and the Pats have shown once you sign the tag the negotiations are off

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

and BB wouldn't keep his #1 receiver off the field in an important playoff game because he made some funny comments at a presser. Look at FA histories with the Pats they are full of spiteful events. The one lesser I get out of this if I was a player is to never sign that franchise tag and hold out because they will screw you if you do. When playing poker the key to bluffing is sometimes you have to hold the cards and the Pats have shown once you sign the tag the negotiations are off

Hmmm . . . maybe.  I do think that signing that franchise tag is risky.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'd be more inclined to agree but Hartline inked an identical contract in MIA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i could see that, but why triple his yearly. coudl have been someone else was wooing amendola, else why pay so much per year with a guy who has been injured for 2 years in a row

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

bb spite i can see

usign money to overpay to spite, doesnt sound like  bb. he's shrewd or cheap, however you want to see it. im more inclined ot bellieve there was another bidder.drivign the price up.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Definitely a concern.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to tman0325's comment:

according to reports they only offered him 2yrs 10mil so no e actually took more. And if the Pats gave more then they should have just to spite a player then they shouldn't be dealing with contracts in the first place because that's insanely bad business and petty

Depends on which reports you want to believe. the Pat's offer was for 10 mil guaranteed with incentives to drive it to a total package of 16 mil. There is also another report that says a third team offered him a 2 year package for 15 mil.

That's the problem - the reports are so inconsistent, I really think these reporters just make stuff up!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

How about we wait until the season actually starts before we judge this move. I remember scratching my head when the Pats gave up a 2nd rounder to get Welker.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

The deal for Welker was $12 million guaranteed for 2 yrs.  Amendola is $10 million guaranteed.   So, Wes took 6mil/yr--Amendola got at least $5mil/yr.  Nothing to hate about Wes--but as I look at clips of Amendola notice a few things:  1.  He has breakaway speed---honestly, Wes did not.  Unless the defender fell down--he wasnt getting away from them.  2.  Amendola has "miss" moves--again, Wes did not.  Now, Wes has quick create space moves to get open--but again, in the open field he very rarely lost people.  3.  NO ONE controls the middle better than Wes--and NO ONE is tougher/more durable.  4.  Amendola was used on the outside and on end arounds way more than Wes. Again--that goes back to that speed.  Reality is--Wes is gone--there will not be another Wes.  We can't compare Amendola to him--it is not fair to either one.  Wes should be received warmly when he comes back --and then the game starts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Maybe this, Maybe that.  But so far I ain't seen Jack!

DontquestionBB is my best advice for you. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: I'm not going to freak out...yet...or AT ALL!!!!

Well well WELL!

Amendola, Wilson, Talib, Sanders (leap of faith here, he's worth the 3rd!) IN!

Patience pays off in the end!

Dumerville/Abraham still in play!

"Just sign someone"? No thanks. The Pats have done it this way for a decade, I wouldn't want it any other way.