I'm picking the Pats over the Saints

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Re: I'm picking the Saints over the Pats

In Response to Re: I'm picking the Saints over the Pats:
    [QUOTE]So the D is middle of the road huh? Thats a good one. First off I wonder in all honesty just how many games you have watched on D. Oh on ESPN highlights? Thats rich. The Saints are better then you and most people up there probably don't get our games and we have only been on Monday night once this year. Just don't expect to be 8-3. Who Dat? ArchieFan Go Saints!
    Posted by ArchieFan[/QUOTE]

It is a middle of the road defense.  Sure, you guys get turnovers, but you allow quite a few points and yards as well.  How about the Miami dolphins? 34 points.  Atlanta - 27 points.  Detriot - 27 points.  St. Louis - 23 points.  Giants - 27 points. Carolina - 20.   Sure, they won all of those games but their defense is giving up quite a few points for what some call an elite team. 

The Pats Defense has given up 20+ points twice - 20 to Denver in OT and 35 to the Colts.  Ravens scored 21, but 7 of those came from a strip sack returned for TD; Bills scored 24 and 7 of those were from a pick-six. 

Brees has been turning the ball over a lot lately, with the exception of the game against the Bucs.  I think he went on a 4-game stretch with 6 TD's and 7 INT's.  He's going to have to clean that up against better teams when playoff time comes or else New Orleans will be watching the SB from their couches.

Am I saying the Pats are a sure-fire winner this coming monday? No, but I do like their chances.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints

This is an imperative win for the second spot and for other reasons.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintfan46. Show saintfan46's posts

First of all, its great to see a forum where football can be discussed without insults to the oppossing players, coaches, cities or fans. ESPN's forum was filled with knucleheads from both cities yesterday. As for the game, I'll take the Saints, in a close game,(28-27), because its a home game. Should be a great one. 2 of the best qb's of this era, and two coaches who trust their teams enough to take a gamble. For a regular season game, it don't get much better than this.With the exception of this week, good luck the rest of the year, and hopefully a rematch will occur in February.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to I'm picking the Pats over the Saints:
    [QUOTE]I picked the Pats over Indy, I thought the Colts were due for a loss.  I was almost right.  I think the Saints are also due for a loss and the Pats are ready to go on a roll and sustain it into the playoffs.  The Saints have some good wins (at Philly, at Miami, Atlanta) and I think they're legit.  But the Pats will be ready and will be more than a match offensively.  I think they will be able to run the ball and I don't see Brady slowing down any.  The Saints are a middle of the road D and they're hurting.  I'm going with Pats 31, Saints 28.   When are we gonna hear from the N'awlins posters?    
    Posted by BrooklineRob[/QUOTE]

Brookline,
    There's chatter coming out of New Orleans urging their fans to Blackout for the game on Monday. This is a good idea and I hope they go through with it, because, if this game gets away from them, and it will, they'll be dressed appropriately for a funeral - Theirs!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

In Response to Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints:
    [QUOTE]First of all, its great to see a forum where football can be discussed without insults to the oppossing players, coaches, cities or fans. ESPN's forum was filled with knucleheads from both cities yesterday. As for the game, I'll take the Saints, in a close game,(28-27), because its a home game. Should be a great one. 2 of the best qb's of this era, and two coaches who trust their teams enough to take a gamble. For a regular season game, it don't get much better than this.With the exception of this week, good luck the rest of the year, and hopefully a rematch will occur in February.
    Posted by saintfan46[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the board man... You will find a few tools here that still insult and know nothing about football or anything... but just ignore them like most of us do (when we can!!)

This is going to be a gret game and should live up to the hype.  I like the Pats in this one because I think both teams have great weapons and will go toe to toe, but I gotta give the defensive edge to the Pats and I think that will be the difference.

I'm going with Pats 42-31...

Can't wait for the game!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints : Whew, i'm sure the rest of us were worried you wouldn't approve..
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]

HAHHAHAHA. I was thinking the same thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]First of all, its great to see a forum where football can be discussed without insults to the oppossing players, coaches, cities or fans. ESPN's forum was filled with knucleheads from both cities yesterday. As for the game, I'll take the Saints, in a close game,(28-27), because its a home game. Should be a great one. 2 of the best qb's of this era, and two coaches who trust their teams enough to take a gamble. For a regular season game, it don't get much better than this.With the exception of this week, good luck the rest of the year, and hopefully a rematch will occur in February.
    Posted by saintfan46[/QUOTE]

Saintfan, we're all reasonable around here when guys like yourself are reasonable in return, so the civil chat is appreciated.  I am actually a Saints fan since way back, I have family in Marrero.  I remember the days of Pat Swilling and the dominating D and Bobby Hey-bear.   It's funny but we all think we have this game figured out and it will probably be the opposite.   I'll laugh if the final score is like 13-10.  As you say, bon chance, except this week of course. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

We can't play for shite in the second half and we haven't won a road game all year (Sorry I'm not counting Tampa). We have zero pass rush and we've all seen what Drew Brees does when he has the time to throw.

We can beat the Saints with a little luck, but as far as I can see that's about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]We can't play for shite in the second half and we haven't won a road game all year (Sorry I'm not counting Tampa). We have zero pass rush and we've all seen what Drew Brees does when he has the time to throw. We can beat the Saints with a little luck, but as far as I can see that's about it.
    Posted by KellieMB[/QUOTE]

Kellie, some true points, but the pass rush isn't gonna be in full force this week or Brees will eat the Pats alive.  I wouldn't blitz that guy and it will be a limited rush I'm sure.  With that speed, the Pats are gonna have to be disciplined and stay home and worry about containing the offense rather than trying to get to Brees or force him into mistakes like Sancho last week.  Lots of DB's will be on the field this game I'm sure in the nickel.     

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]We can't play for shite in the second half and we haven't won a road game all year (Sorry I'm not counting Tampa). We have zero pass rush and we've all seen what Drew Brees does when he has the time to throw. We can beat the Saints with a little luck, but as far as I can see that's about it.
    Posted by KellieMB[/QUOTE]

How true regarding the Pats playing on the road.  They have been a "Jekyl & Hyde" team when we compare their first half play versus second.  In each loss, they looked like world beaters in the first half, playing significantly better than the second.  Why is a question we can never answer.  Hopefully, we'll see a 60 minute game out of them Monday night. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I'm picking the Pats over the Saints

Drew Brees take on the Pat's. He is a class guy. Now lets go kick his asssss.

"It’s gonna take our best game (to beat the Patriots)," Brees said. "We know the type of team that they are. We know the type of team that they’ve been now for the last decade. They’re a dynasty. Obviously, that’s one of the organizations we try to emulate. That’s who we’re trying to be."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints : Your right our schedule stinks, we played you losers. Saints are going to smoke you. Then you will be like the following, as always.
    Posted by ColtsMan73[/QUOTE]

Hay Dicky, where did you get that cool picture of Manning????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints : Kellie, some true points, but the pass rush isn't gonna be in full force this week or Brees will eat the Pats alive.  I wouldn't blitz that guy and it will be a limited rush I'm sure.  With that speed, the Pats are gonna have to be disciplined and stay home and worry about containing the offense rather than trying to get to Brees or force him into mistakes like Sancho last week.  Lots of DB's will be on the field this game I'm sure in the nickel.     

We're in a tough position that's for sure,  they have a lot of weapons. The one saving grace for me comes down to Belichick. If he can out-coach this team I think we can win.

With Thanksgiving on Thursday, this is hardly the week they can afford to miss a day of practice. Will they pracitce on Saturday to make up for it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints : absolutely. I've been holding my breath. i'm also going to go out on a limb here and take the colts over the next powderpuff, uh.. i mean..., uh... powerhouse opponent on their grueling schedule, the 5-5 texans.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Hey Uncle long time no talk to... I agree I have been beating that drum for a long time (Colts powderpuff schedule) going so far as to say if the Patriots had played that schedule we would have lost probably just one of those games due to Brady coming back and if Indy had to play our schedule I think they would have had a loss somewhere in there as well. WHich leads me to believe that Indy and Pats are pretty close to even with a slight nod to Colts with their H2H win.

As to the game at hand... I like the Patriots as long as they can go into this game healthy and make it out the other side in the same fashion. One thing I havent seen mentioned here yet unless I missed it is NFC vs. AFC... in particular the Patriots DOMINATE the NFC.  I say Patriots 36 (I threw a Safety in there for the fun of it) Saints 24.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]So the D is middle of the road huh? Thats a good one. First off I wonder in all honesty just how many games you have watched on D. Oh on ESPN highlights? Thats rich. The Saints are better then you and most people up there probably don't get our games and we have only been on Monday night once this year. Just don't expect to be 8-3. Who Dat? ArchieFan Go Saints!
    Posted by ArchieFan[/QUOTE]

Hey Archie, people on this board are from all over the country and a few foreign nations.  But of course we don't follow the Saints as closely as you do.  Maybe your D is better than the numbers suggest.  Monday night will tell us a lot about both of our teams.  Don't bet the house on going 11 and 0.

Love that Blue Plate Mayonnaise and that Community Coffee but not as much as Dunkin'.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm picking the Saints over the Pats : Hey Archie, people on this board are from all over the country and a few foreign nations.  But of course we don't follow the Saints as closely as you do.  Maybe your D is better than the numbers suggest.  Monday night will tell us a lot about both of our teams.  Don't bet the house on going 11 and 0. Love that Blue Plate Mayonnaise and that Community Coffee but not as much as Dunkin'.
    Posted by bostatewarrior[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I'm from Arkansas, which is where I still currently reside.  I see plenty of Saints games, almost all of their home games and some of the away games. 

What i've seen from them is a strong offense (unless somebody gameplans to take away Shockey and Colston) and a good defense (although it can be run on and the underneath passes can eat them alive).   So that's why I don't think they're the elite-type defense some people claim them to be.

But i'm glad to see some Saints fans on here that act like civilized human beings, it's nice to see fans of other teams coming over and having good debates/discussions without them making insults and trying to be jerks.  So hopefully they'll stay around and keep up the good discussions after the game, win or lose!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Kellie..  you speak to BB outcoaching the Saints... well, he can coach all he wants and come up with the best game plan, but, the players need to execute.  The losses to the Jets, Broncos and Colts could be laid more at the feet of the players and lack of execution when needed. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

I must admit, this board is much more civil than many I have seen this season.  Now on to the game ...

The Saints defensive stats were skewed over the four game stretch against Miami, Atlanta, Carolina and St. Louis.  Coming into that stretch the Saints were limiting opponents to a stingy 83 yards rushing per game.   Several key injuries in the Miami and Atlanta games decimated the run defense.  The loss of nose tackle Sedrick Ellis and the SLB Scott Fujita coupled with the Murder's Row of runningbacks including Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams, Johnathon Stewart and Stephen Jackson led to some pretty ugly first halves.  But, adjustments were made in each of those games at the half and the rush was contained.

Both Ellis (the man is a stud!) and Fujita are back and healthy for this Monday's matchup.  As are CB Jabari Greer and FS Darren Sharper who both missed much of that same defensive downturn.  If one ignores that four game stretch the Saints defense easily ranks in the top five overall.

I feel fairly confident that the Saints have all the parts that it takes to handle the Pats.   I feel their defense matches up better against the Pats than does the Pats against the Saints D.  One must also take into consideration the known difficulties that the Patriots have faced on the road, as well as the very real advantage that the Saints enjoy in the Superdome.  I cannot see the Saints coming into this game unprepared or unfocused, therefore I do not expect a letdown on their side.  If the Pats put up a perfect game it should be close, but if defensive coordinator Gregg Williams schemes put the pressure that I expect to see on Brady the result should be far less than the needed perfection.

No team in the NFL has been as successful in the second half of games this year with the Saints outscoring their opponents 188-84, while the Patriots have had their struggles during that same period.

I can realistically see a 38-23 type of game in the favor of the Saints.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

i just wanna see a good game i dont want to see a blowout on either side.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]I must admit, this board is much more civil than many I have seen this season.  Now on to the game ... The Saints defensive stats were skewed over the four game stretch against Miami, Atlanta, Carolina and St. Louis.  Coming into that stretch the Saints were limiting opponents to a stingy 83 yards rushing per game.   Several key injuries in the Miami and Atlanta games decimated the run defense.  The loss of nose tackle Sedrick Ellis and the SLB Scott Fujita coupled with the Murder's Row of runningbacks including Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams, Johnathon Stewart and Stephen Jackson led to some pretty ugly first halves.  But, adjustments were made in each of those games at the half and the rush was contained. Both Ellis (the man is a stud!) and Fujita are back and healthy for this Monday's matchup.  As are CB Jabari Greer and FS Darren Sharper who both missed much of that same defensive downturn.  If one ignores that four game stretch the Saints defense easily ranks in the top five overall. I feel fairly confident that the Saints have all the parts that it takes to handle the Pats.   I feel their defense matches up better against the Pats than does the Pats against the Saints D.  One must also take into consideration the known difficulties that the Patriots have faced on the road, as well as the very real advantage that the Saints enjoy in the Superdome.  I cannot see the Saints coming into this game unprepared or unfocused, therefore I do not expect a letdown on their side.  If the Pats put up a perfect game it should be close, but if defensive coordinator Gregg Williams schemes put the pressure that I expect to see on Brady the result should be far less than the needed perfection. No team in the NFL has been as successful in the second half of games this year with the Saints outscoring their opponents 188-84, while the Patriots have had their struggles during that same period. I can realistically see a 38-23 type of game in the favor of the Saints.
    Posted by AsylumGuido[/QUOTE]

Some good Points Mr. Sarducci.  But a four game stretch is a more of a trend than an aberration.  We shall see.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints : Some good Points Mr. Sarducci.  But a four game stretch is a more of a trend than an aberration.  We shall see.   

I would normally agree if not for the fact that the injuries on the Saints' defense and the studly RB's faced coincided exactly with the downturn.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints : I would normally agree if not for the fact that the injuries on the Saints' defense and the studly RB's faced coincided exactly with the downturn.
    Posted by AsylumGuido[/QUOTE]

Aah, but how to account for Drew Brees' 6 TDs vs. 7 INTs over that same stretch against some of NFC's more mediocre teams?  And all teams have the injury bug, the Pats as much as anyone.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBcheats. Show BBcheats's posts

[QUOTE]I dont even think its a stretch to pick the Pats. The Saints have a patch work CB core right now due to injurys and our awesome WR core will run up and down those guys. Saints will lose this game.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

Same thing you said about the Colts! Ha!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm picking the Pats over the Saints : Aah, but how to account for Drew Brees' 6 TDs vs. 7 INTs over that same stretch against some of NFC's more mediocre teams?  And all teams have the injury bug, the Pats as much as anyone.   

With the defense struggling it allowed the other teams defense to turn up the heat.   This led to a couple of those picks.  The others were more of the tipped variety.  We all know that they seem to come in bunches.  In fact, five of them came in two games (Miami and St. Louis).  Brees has only four picks in the other eight games.  Considering how often the Saints take a look down field that isn't bad at all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Alright Mr. Sarducci, so essentially what you're telling me is that the Saints got outplayed on both offense and defense for a good part of these games and still managed to go 4-0?  The D got run over and the opposing D managed to stymie Brees?  That's what you've told me in your posts, which to me says the Saints are able to be had, even at home.  Again, I see a bit of a trend and some potential weaknesses exposed, exacerbated by some injuries.  Which to me means if the Pats can capitalize they will win.

I can buy some of your reasoning but I'm still going with the Pats in a close one.  This win means more to the Pats than it does to the Saints.       

Sections
Shortcuts