I'm shocked at our draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

I'm shocked at our draft

We had a huge need at WR and I cannot believe we could not find a more productive receiver than Dobson from Marshall.  The kid from Baylor ( Terrence Williams ) was extremely productive during his career.....why? 

I guess BB thinks he is always going to outsmart all the other GMs with these off the wall picks.......hell half our defense is from Rutgers.....might as well change our name to the Scarlet Knights.

It seems we continually bypass potential impact players opting for the second level type of talent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: I'm shocked at our draft

who were the "potential impact players" we bypassed? I think Dobson is a potential impact player. The glass is half full my friend!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

The guy NEVER dropped one pass his senior year . . . how do you get better than that?  Mel Kiper said in two years people will be asking why he wasn't taken in the first round . . . sounds like a ringing endorsement to me!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He was more productive than Cordarelle Patterson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

The guy NEVER dropped one pass his senior year . . . how do you get better than that?  Mel Kiper said in two years people will be asking why he wasn't taken in the first round . . . sounds like a ringing endorsement to me!

I was liking the pick . . . then you tell me Mel Kiper likes him.  Now I'm worried . . .Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

I question the two Rutgers backs, were they ranked top 20 in pass d? Did the door close on Abraham coming with the Collins pick? Such a deep draft at DT why wait for the forth or beyond? 

Anyways.... Crazy how a few years ago we drafted Wilhite, Wheatley and Butler, all under 5'10 180. Last two years we've drafted four guys all over 5'10 190. They latter didn't stick cause they were undersized or was it brutal Boyer as the secondary coach? Year two turns our db's into Swiss cheese. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I was liking the pick . . . then you tell me Mel Kiper likes him.  Now I'm worried . . .Laughing

[/QUOTE]

lol!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That scarys me. When was the last time Kiper was right?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think what the OP really means is that the Pats never draft his favorite 'impact' player. My take on the receivers taken after #29.

Patterson = major red flag on intelligence and ability to run good routes.

Hunter = major red flag on health and durability - 'high percentage of drops'

Woods = just not that good with occasion drops

Williams = small hands and mediocre ball skills

Allen = 'meh' - he was my personal favorite and felt sure we would need to trade up for him in the 2nd as he would be gone by #52. Ooops - seemed all the teams looking for WRs knew more than me as he lasted to #76 (Big surprise that someone knows more than me!Embarassed)

Goodwin = tiny hands and small body - meh. Split focus with Olympic track and that didn't work too well with a certain Pat's RB.

Wheaton = liked him - FAST, but everything else is 'meh' And no one else thought that highly - back end of 3rd round means teams passed on hime 2 or 3 times.

Bailey = liked him in the range he was taken - end of the 3rd but nothing really jumps with him.

Soooo - in this universe Dobson looks pretty great. A+ ball skills (does not drop passes - zero in 2012) B+ discipline and route running. A on body type, B on speed (but a 4.37 at pro day which is in A+ territory) and an A in football IQ and character. I can live with that.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

BB drafts a tall, fast receiver with good hands, and yet people are still b.itching....LMAO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Heres the deal, BB drafted players that can come into the PAtriots system and produce in the first year or two. The PAts system is precise, lots of moving parts not many of these top prospects will be able to come up to speed in the 'Brady Window'. These kids from Rutgers have great on-field communication already and a good relationship with McCourty..check, they seem humble and hard working...in my experience that trumps huge upside potential almost every time.

Dobson, intelligent and skillful in winning body position battles wit CB's, catching the ball and running routs..high IQ, the anti chad Jackson / Johnson.

Collins looks to be versitile enough to help weather any DE, LB injury and can cover! Actually also a mobile guy that can help a bunch in marking QB's like Kapertnik or Wilson one of which we will be seeing in the SB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I have no problem with this draft so far. Their most pressing needs were in my mind 1) OLB/DE check! 2) WR Check! and 3) DB/S Double checks!! I like the two Rutgers kids and the advantage is they've played together for a long time and they have played with McCourty! With the familiarity should come easier communication a very important aspect of playing in the secondary. Overall I grade this class a solid A-. I edited this grade after the selection of Boyce he can play outside or inside X,Y or even the Z receiver! Speed and power!!! BB did the best anyone could expect considering that most of these guys were taken in the lower part of rounds 2 and 3, with Boyce being the lone exception and he was a steal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I have no problem with this draft so far. Their most pressing needs were in my mind 1) OLB/DE check! 2) WR Check! and 3) DB/S Double checks!! I like the two Rutgers kids and the advantage is they've played together for a long time and they have played with McCourty! With the familiarity should come easier communication a very important aspect of playing in the secondary. Overall I grade this class a solid B+.

Agreed. Just need to look at interior DL, another WR, and then an interior OL late. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to jaxpat's comment:

We had a huge need at WR and I cannot believe we could not find a more productive receiver than Dobson from Marshall.  The kid from Baylor ( Terrence Williams ) was extremely productive during his career.....why? 

I guess BB thinks he is always going to outsmart all the other GMs with these off the wall picks.......hell half our defense is from Rutgers.....might as well change our name to the Scarlet Knights.

It seems we continually bypass potential impact players opting for the second level type of talent.

Going into yesterday I wanted them to take Williams at WR but this Dobson kid is intriguing.  Now I'm not going to compare him to the great Randy Moss but his size (same weight, 1 inch difference in height), the way he runs, from the video's I have seen he makes some Moss type catches, coming out of Marshall I can see some Moss in him. Now, no way am I going to say he will be great like Moss was, might not have even half the career Moss had but there are certainly some similarities there that I like.

His NFL Comparison is Sidney Rice.... I'll take that!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

BB drafts a tall, fast receiver with good hands, and yet people are still b.itching....LMAO

Lol, plus 1!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Best quality a receiver can have... Running a 4.4 is also nice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Best quality a receiver can have... Running a 4.4 is also nice.

What's the word Getzo? How do you like our draft this year?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

I am glad they made they trade. Thinking 4 of the first 5 picks will stick and one from the 7 round will surprise the Heck out of us. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

I think the Pats made a sharp move with Boyce.  Good route runner, quick, strong, versitile.  Seen alot of him over the last few years.  He's a guy I was hoping they'd jump on.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Love the double dip - worked for TE, is working at RB, hopefully we get the same success at WR!!!

Really like this draft so far - and that means I like it period, since 7th orund picks really really do not change the quality of the expectation except in a positive way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

no shock here. this is how the pats roll. we all had a pretty good idea they were trading down and then taking players on their board which None of us had! nor the so called experts. i think Dobson is going to be a super sleeper pick! it was he and hopkins i really likedand they got Dobson while addressing other needs. no glitter, just football players please...

Sections
Shortcuts