Im so tired of hearing about........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Im so tired of hearing about........

SPECIAL TEAMS...its one thing if our kick coverage/return blocking teams were acing everyone but they r horrible! we have given up numerous big returns all year so im tired of hearing about guys that suck like slater and ihedebho and how they can play special teams it dosent matter special teams won us 1 game last year vs miami defense has lost us numerous in the last few years lets focus on that. Not tracy white

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Im so tired of hearing about........

In Response to Im so tired of hearing about........:
    [QUOTE]SPECIAL TEAMS...its one thing if our kick coverage/return blocking teams were acing everyone but they r horrible! we have given up numerous big returns all year so im tired of hearing about guys that suck like slater and ihedebho and how they can play special teams it dosent matter special teams won us 1 game last year vs miami defense has lost us numerous in the last few years lets focus on that. Not tracy white
    Posted by Bspikes55[/QUOTE]

I guess with our weaknesses, perceived or real, with the pass rush and secondary...I guess special teams took a back seat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree. We often talk offense and defense, but no threads dedicated to ST. Thanks for bringing up BSPIKES. Hopefully we'll have some regulars chime in on this topic.
    What pains me most about ST is our return guys specifically. I hurt everytime I see Woodhead returning kicks. We need to have someone a bit more dynamic back there, that is a threat to go all the way, or at least give us better field position.
    Edelman I can live with. Overall he's pretty good here.
    What I would like to see is Underwood returning kicks for us. He has experience doing this and did pretty well for Jacksonville. I'm not sure what's taken BB so long to insert him in over Woodhead.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Overall, their ST unit is pretty decent, atleast based on the numbers. 

Summary below:

Their coverage units are pretty good, ranking 26th in avg yards per KR against (21.7) all while ranking 2nd in with returns against (51), they were also 20th in avg yards per PR against (8.9) while ranking 31st with only 21 punts forced.  They haven't allowed a return TD.

They're tied for 13th with a 84.6 FG rate (22-26) and are a perfect 46-46 in Extra Points.

They're 11th in yards per punt (46.1) and 6th in net yards per punt (42).

Their main weakness is with their own KR team where they rank 30th with 21.2 yard per KR with 0 TD's, they're 9th in number of returns.  Conversely, they're 10th in yards per PR with an 11.3 average and 1 TD.  They're tied for 13th in number of punts returned (31)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

The only problem with our ST is our return game, we don't have any explosive runners and Woody is so small he can never out run anyone on the field. Edelman wasn't that great either besides that return for a TD. Welker is ok on punt returns sometimes , but we need an elusive guy back there and someone who can kick in the afterburners and at least pick up another 10 yards so we don't always start at the 20 or worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Maybe it's just perception but it seems whenever the Pats take a kickoff they never get past the 20 but teams they kickoff to consistently get past the 20.  

Now I'm in the vast minority here but I wanted them to keep Tate.  Last year there were about 5 teams that chose not to kick to Tate (Connolly 70 yard return) because he ran 2 back for TD's in the beginning of the year.  This led to excellent field position, number two I think in the NFL as they consistently started drives at the 30 or 40.  When you do that, you score a lot of points- and they did.

The thought going into this season was that KR men were less valuable with the new rules.  I think it was greatly exaggerated, and the Pats cut Tate figuring a guy who could only return kicks wasn't as valuable.

Fact is, there are very few great KR guys in the NFL, and nobody tries to kick away from most guys, Tate had teams kicking away.

He was replaced with -Slater, Underwood, whoever.  Guess what, they aren't very good receivers either, in fact Tate had better numbers last year than Slater, Underwood, Price, Ocho, and Edelman.

Slater may be a great guy, but I don't know why he gets less criticism than Tate.  He isn't a good receiver, less productive than Tate and his specialty of “tackling” on special teams is not that special.  The Pats get guys off the waiver wire every year than can bring what he brings to the table. 

Great KR men are much harder to find than great special teams tacklers, and considering the Pats have 3 WR's on the bench who contribute to nothing but special teams I would have rather kept the guy who was a great ST guy the any of the mediocre ones we have now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Brandon Tate has had 0 receptions for the Bengals this season.

Just saying.................

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Im so tired of hearing about........:
    [QUOTE]Overall, their ST unit is pretty decent, atleast based on the numbers.  Summary below: Their coverage units are pretty good, ranking 26th in avg yards per KR against (21.7) all while ranking 2nd in with returns against (51), they were also 20th in avg yards per PR against (8.9) while ranking 31st with only 21 punts forced.  They haven't allowed a return TD. They're tied for 13th with a 84.6 FG rate (22-26) and are a perfect 46-46 in Extra Points. They're 11th in yards per punt (46.1) and 6th in net yards per punt (42). Their main weakness is with their own KR team where they rank 30th with 21.2 yard per KR with 0 TD's, they're 9th in number of returns.  Conversely, they're 10th in yards per PR with an 11.3 average and 1 TD.  They're tied for 13th in number of punts returned (31)
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Exactly. So why not give Underwood the start vs. Woody on KRs? Look at Underwood's stats when he played for Jacksonville returning kicks. His career average is 23.0 per return. I couldn't find Woody's, but assume it to be less than this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Im so tired of hearing about........:
    [QUOTE]SPECIAL TEAMS...its one thing if our kick coverage/return blocking teams were acing everyone but they r horrible! we have given up numerous big returns all year so im tired of hearing about guys that suck like slater and ihedebho and how they can play special teams it dosent matter special teams won us 1 game last year vs miami defense has lost us numerous in the last few years lets focus on that. Not tracy white
    Posted by Bspikes55[/QUOTE]

Kick coverage has been unspectacular

Punt coverage has been great, though.  Slater deserves to go to the Pro Bowl for his coverage.  Even on kicks he's regularly one of the first guys down the field spilling the returner (or, to use a basketball term, stopping ball)

Other than the Jets' kick return, special teams hasn't HURT us.  On a team with Tom Brady at QB, that's all I can ask.  Don't give up a chance for Brady to run the offense, and make the opponent drive the length of the field

Oh, and the Pats' special teamers won that ome opener against the Bills a couple years ago on the forced fumble on the kickoff (Merriweather/McGowan could do nothing if not hit hard).  Just sayin'

If you look at any team in the league, how many teams without someone who's name rhymes with Kevin Lester or Matrick Eaterson are winning MULTIPLE games with their special teams???

???

?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bosoxer29. Show Bosoxer29's posts

BB losing his coaching ability. Can you imagine any one else who could coach this team - with this defense to 10 wins. He deserves Coach of the Year?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: Im so tired of hearing about........:
    [QUOTE]Overall, their ST unit is pretty decent, atleast based on the numbers.  Summary below: Their coverage units are pretty good, ranking 26th in avg yards per KR against (21.7) all while ranking 2nd in with returns against (51), they were also 20th in avg yards per PR against (8.9) while ranking 31st with only 21 punts forced.  They haven't allowed a return TD. They're tied for 13th with a 84.6 FG rate (22-26) and are a perfect 46-46 in Extra Points. They're 11th in yards per punt (46.1) and 6th in net yards per punt (42). Their main weakness is with their own KR team where they rank 30th with 21.2 yard per KR with 0 TD's, they're 9th in number of returns.  Conversely, they're 10th in yards per PR with an 11.3 average and 1 TD.  They're tied for 13th in number of punts returned (31)
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmm....... numbers.....

Like their DFL defense, right?

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts