I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith

I didn't think both 3rd string TEs would get waived

I wonder if they'll make it through waivers... I thought they both had something to offer, but maybe they showed so poorly on route running or blocking or something to make it through unwanted.  Yeatman is a physical specimen at 6'8" and quick feet...

Would be nice to have them both clear AND bring back Crumpler to teach all the kids how to play in the league.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith

I don't know why you are stunned? Both had a very short prseason, robbing them of any chance. In practice and during the games, it was clearly obvious that neither were ready for the NFL. Smith, has been hurt, missing significant time as well.
    Potential? Yes! Ready? No....I know the Giants are sniffing around Smith and Alge. Lets see who pony's up the $$$

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith:
    [QUOTE]Bill definately has something brewin in his mind. Im thinking hes hoping 1 or both make PS and then bring in Crumpler to mentor them like he did with Gronk and Hernandez.
    Posted by APpats21[/QUOTE]
    That is all well and good, but if Crump is going to take a roster spot he needs to be physically ready to contribute, not only "mentor".
    And if Crump is ready, the Pats needs to outbid a few other teams for his services

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

After watching both Te's compete at both camp and in the "exhibition games" , I honestly was at a loss to see what all the fuss was about . I also thought that Yeatman looked only marginally better than Lee Smith ( in fact their skill sets were so close , If they changed uni numbers at halftime I don't think many fans would be able to discern the dif...
    That said I think BB was willing to roll the dice because he thinks that the chances of BOTH being snapped up is remote ( who knows...he may have even been giving Yeatman more reps to close out camp in order to confuse the other teams scouts... wouldnt put it past the mad genius )

At any rate as noted by others , Crumpler is probably the fall back plan .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeatman is apparently now on practice squad (according to Mike Reiss)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Yeah, I think the posters who said there was no way Yeatman or Smith wouldn't get claimed were definitely overrating them

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Mike Reiss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Mike Reiss

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

To quote that great philospher HOMER :

D O H  !

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

look at that both division rivals claim potentially good players...disappointed

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Yeatman is apparently now on practice squad (according to Mike Reiss)
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Negative he got picked up by the Dolphins, and Smith got picked up by the Bills

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/04/your-roundup-of-early-waiver-moves/

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'm thinking the Bills and Fins snagging up our 2 te's has to bother BB a little bit. I think we were expecting to land one on at least on the practice squad. Hope we have a back up plan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Patriots cut Maneri to make room for Waters then they cut Dearth in order to bring in Aikens L/S,they lost Austin to Seattle,Tate found a job in Cincy it looks like the NFL Gm's were really just waiting to see who BB would cut.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

No worries
    ( Better to have your teams potential PS players being picked clean than ignored ... indicator of overall teams talent )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]I'm thinking the Bills and Fins snagging up our 2 te's has to bother BB a little bit. I think we were expecting to land one on at least on the practice squad. Hope we have a back up plan.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

The more I think about it the more I don't like what happened here.  Did BB really think it was worth the risk to put BOTH out there for other teams to sign them?  Did he really think that he could get one back to the practice squad?  I hope he did this with other plans in mind instead of pure speculation that he could get one back.  Two good young TE's now gone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Me thinks everyone is overrating them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Not to mention that they were signed in our own division and the TE sets are a HUGE part of our offense. Doesn't help that two rivals get a little more info on how we use Gronk and Hernandez.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

fiest , as to overrating them - really all I see is when
    they are on TV - and I think Cross was kinda high on them?
    I trust Cross - he's been there and done that with the besst
    and never has an ulterior motive

The 53 man roster had 1 more D player than was forecasted
    and that difference was the TE vs DL
    Better they go to Bills and Miami than Jets

right now
    Herrnandez is  2nd TE/ probably 4th wr depending onn scheme
    and #1 Hback

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

the pats (ie BB) is putting a major emphasis on veterans... and gambled with young players... im not concerned about merriweather as we have seen enough of him... i dont think we will get any of the claimed players back (this year)

it does show that we have players that lessor teams value...but at what future cost...  i was hoping we would /could go to a more power running set this year to offset the trend of just trying to get brady off his game...

i guess its wait and see now how all that works out... but he def gambled on some, on all those younger players that were claimed...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Seeing all the Patriots cuts getting picked up so fast probably makes BB feel good that they got jobs elswhwere and it also reflects well on him too that other teams desire ex-Patriots, even if sum didn't cut it it as one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Not to mention that they were signed in our own division and the TE sets are a HUGE part of our offense. Doesn't help that two rivals get a little more info on how we use Gronk and Hernandez.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

this

and we lose a lot of developmental prospects

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

[QUOTE]Me thinks everyone is overrating them.
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

Agree, I think both will be marginal NFL players/journeymen types.  I hope I'm wrong for their sake, but I didn't see anything in the games that says otherwise, most of what came out of camp said they were both inconsistent as blockers in practice (which is supposed to be their strength), and neither stuck on the roster for a reason.  I think this may be much ado about nothing.