I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith

If either of these two kids were so important to the Pats offense, why would they release them both with the first game only a week away?  I could see risking one but not both unless a third tight end is not as essential as we think.  The coach must have other plans.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Not liking Yeatman being a Dolphin for monday night, he was closer to being ready than Lee. Not worried too much about Lee to Buffalo but Miami got a good TE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I think we are over valuing both of these guy's a bit. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

They were both solid inline blocking tightends, neither was Gronk.  I think we'll carry an extra O Lineman and Solder with play tightend in a pinch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith:
    I think we are over valuing both of these guy's a bit. 
    Posted by tcal2-

Yea a little, but depth never hurt anybody

and I think Yeatman is already better than 10 starting TEs in the league today.  He was 6'8" and had the footwork and speed to be a factor in the passing game.  You can't teach physical talent

I wouldn't be shocked if some team tried to talk him into converting to left tackle, but even at TE I think he'll still be a factor

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

In Response to Re: I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith : Yea a little, but depth never hurt anybody and I think Yeatman is already better than 10 starting TEs in the league today.  He was 6'8" and had the footwork and speed to be a factor in the passing game.  You can't teach physical talent I wouldn't be shocked if some team tried to talk him into converting to left tackle, but even at TE I think he'll still be a factor
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Please get real.  Saying an UDFA that was just cut is better than 10 starting TEs in the league today is a stretch.  Also, he's not 6'8"...Notre Dame and Maryland listed him at 6'6", but when measured before the draft he came in at 6'5" (most sites have him at 6'6" or 6'5") and he ran a slow 4.91 40 after dropping weight to play TE.  His 40 times in various settings ranged from a glacial 5.24 to a very suspect 4.75 on a fast surface at the Maryland pro day, but most sites list either 5.14 or 4.91 as his 40 time, which means he really doesn't have the speed to be a factor in the passing game.  His upside was as a 3rd TE.  

He's a great story and I'm rooting for him, but let's not get carried away. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

In Response to Re: I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith :  His upside was as a 3rd TE.   He's a great story and I'm rooting for him, but let's not get carried away. 
    Posted by DCSoxFan13

I am not rooting for him, he is a dolphin! I hope he s u c k s. OK, i hope he burns the Jets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I don't think anyone was expecting either of these two to light up the stat sheets. Their value was in blocking with the added value of having decent pass catching ability.  They were prospects that needed more seasoning in the system as both missed assignments in blocking and route running.  I think Yeatman could have had a decent amount of success as a Patriot if he had made it through to the PS and learned the system.  Gronk and Yeatman with Connolly as lead blocker or pulling guard would have been a formidable power running package.  One other thing to think about: no more 3 TE sets.  That seemed to be a popular formation in the red zone during preseason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

The question is.... Will Dan Gronkowski be better than Yeatman or Smith?

I guess BB thinks so... time will tell...

I'll have to go with the master and say that he see's something in Dan...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

The question is.... Will Dan Gronkowski be better than Yeatman or Smith? I guess BB thinks so... time will tell... I'll have to go with the master and say that he see's something in Dan...
    Posted by Patsfaninswflorida

I think BB expected at least one of them to clear waivers so he get one of them on the practice squad. That way he could have carried 2 TEs with the 3rd ready to be called up in case of injury. He wanted to carry Butler. The loss of both means he had to clear a roster spot and get a TE on the active roster. I think Gronk 2 was the best guy available, but it's not at all because he thinks Gronk 2 is better than Smith or Yeatman. The only thing he sees in Dan is he's the best guy he can pick up in a pinch at this point. If BB knew for sure neither Yeat or Smith would have cleared waivers he would have kept one and dumped Butler a couple days ago. It seems clear to me that he didn't want to release Butler yet, and wanted to hold off for couple of regular season games before opening a roster spot for a TE. If he got one of his guys to the practice squad he could have done this. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

In Response to Re: I'm stunned about Yeatman and L. Smith : I think BB expected at least one of them to clear waivers so he get one of them on the practice squad. That way he could have carried 2 TEs with the 3rd ready to be called up in case of injury. He wanted to carry Butler. The loss of both means he had to clear a roster spot and get a TE on the active roster. I think Gronk 2 was the best guy available, but it's not at all because he thinks Gronk 2 is better than Smith or Yeatman. The only thing he sees in Dan is he's the best guy he can pick up in a pinch at this point. If BB knew for sure neither Yeat or Smith would have cleared waivers he would have kept one and dumped Butler a couple days ago. It seems clear to me that he didn't want to release Butler yet, and wanted to hold off for couple of regular season games before opening a roster spot for a TE. If he got one of his guys to the practice squad he could have done this. 
    Posted by Macrawn

Those are some tough decisions...  BB usually comes out on top of those kind of deals...  I'm hoping Dan Gronkowski pays close attention to his brother and learns a few things....

Sections
Shortcuts