Impact balance can have on a great offense.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Impact balance can have on a great offense.

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The impact of balance is blatantly evident in the rushing 1st down stat.  They have almost as much rushing 1st downs through 8 games as they did for the entire season last year.

It's evident that Brady's hyper efficiency and 3 interceptions are a direct result of running and play action, if Brandon Lloyd didn't drop about 2 TD's on average a game his numbers would be that much more impressive.  Did I mention the Patriots rank #1 in the NFL with the fewest INT's?

But the impact will really be evident in the post season.

I'm pretty sure Ridely, Vereen and Law Firm were on this team last year and Obie used none of the above.  Last year they finished 17th in the NFL in rushing attempts and 20th in rushing yards, Danny Woodhead had a featured role and Tom Brady was their 4th leading rusher with 43 rushing attempts.  This year they're ranked #2 in attempts and 5th in yards, that's not an increase, that's not more balanced?

This year Brady's run 11 times mostly on third and inches type situations, not because he was running for his life. Since the O Line has started gelling, Brady hasn't been sacked in the last two games and his sack % is shrinking every week, it's already substantially lower than last year.

This team is getting better, it started getting better the moment they signed Josh McDaniel. #1 in points, yards and 1st downs, top ten in every offensive statistical category.  They've never come close to being that good under Obie, never came close to that kind of balance.

It's funny how every news outlet, sports talking head on the planet acknowledges this, but the pass happy proponent here are in a state of denial... laughable.

[/QUOTE]

They just can't be honest. They think because they're a group here who can bully people around, that they own the board in their Brady panties at a computer in a basement.

Most normal adults would simply say "you know what, you've been right this whole time, kudos to you", but they can't do it due to an immaturity and an apparent devastating embarrassment within a delicate human existence.

Sick, really.

All the evidence sits there and they want to tell us 2+2 = 5.

[/QUOTE]

The evidence is 2 more runs per game last year would have just about equaled this year's so called balance. Refute that or zip it junior.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The impact of balance is blatantly evident in the rushing 1st down stat.  They have almost as much rushing 1st downs through 8 games as they did for the entire season last year.

It's evident that Brady's hyper efficiency and 3 interceptions are a direct result of running and play action, if Brandon Lloyd didn't drop about 2 TD's on average a game his numbers would be that much more impressive.  Did I mention the Patriots rank #1 in the NFL with the fewest INT's?

I'm pretty sure Ridely, Vereen and Law Firm were on this team last year and Obie used none of the above.  Last year they finished 17th in the NFL in rushing attempts and 20th in rushing yards, Danny Woodhead had a featured role and Tom Brady was their 4th leading rusher with 43 rushing attempts.  This year they're ranked #2 in attempts and 5th in yards, that's not an increase, that's not more balanced?

This year Brady's run 11 times mostly on third and inches type situations, not because he was running for his life. Since the O Line has started gelling, Brady hasn't been sacked in the last two games and his sack % is shrinking every week, it's already substantially lower than last year.

This team is getting better, it started getting better the moment they signed Josh McDaniel. #1 in points, yards and 1st downs, top ten in every offensive statistical category.  They've never come close to being that good under Obie, never came close to that kind of balance.

It's funny how every news outlet, sports talking head on the planet acknowledges this, but the pass happy proponent here are in a state of denial... laughable.

[/QUOTE]

They just can't be honest. They think because they're a group here who can bully people around, that they own the board in their Brady panties at a computer in a basement.

Most normal adults would simply say "you know what, you've been right this whole time, kudos to you", but they can't do it due to an immaturity and an apparent devastating embarrassment within a delicate human existence.

Sick, really.

All the evidence sits there and they want to tell us 2+2 = 5.

[/QUOTE]

NO BODY IS SAYING DIVERSITY IS BAD.  Where do you morons even get this.

We are saying in the 3 losses the running game was ineffective and the D gave up 2 score leads.  (twice in one game)

What part of this is hard to understand?  When the RB's are averaging 2.8 ypc, that is not a good thing.

When the D gives up 2 score leads half way through the 4th, that is not good.

When the D is still losing games despite being on the field for  only 28 minutes, that's not good.

When the highly effecient O is AHEAD by 2 scores half way thru the 4th, that IS good.

Twisted sister's!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

One loss was a replacement ref debacle.

One loss (Cards) they deserved to lose because the entire team played poorly.

One loss was a close game that they should have closed out but didn't (see above).

By the way all these losses have occurred early in the season, with a lot of moving pieces; new coordinator, receivers, O line, defense, since then they have improved at all three phases and statistically improve every week but it's hard to improve on #1 offensively and what might be the biggest offensive outburst in the history of the NFL since 2007.

Babe I'd say that being ranked #2 in rushing attempts is leagues away from being ranked 17th, and considering Ridley and Bolden are receiving the bulk of these carries, that is substantially different than Woody getting them... unless of course you don't see the difference between a 225 pound back vs a 190 pound 5'7" guy?

#2 rushing attempts VS 17th...  I formations, offset I formations, the returned use of fullbacks and 5 tightends on the roster... Yeah we're more balanced and better for it.

Do you admit that we're in a better place offensively than at any point under Obie?  

Can't you admit that play calling has been substantially better and that has translated to the best offense in the NFL and possibly, when it's all said and done, maybe the best offense of all time?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

You don't need to make that a possessive (twisted sisters is a plural, not a possessive).

I am so thrilled to be lectured by someone who not only doesn't get it, he thinks he does, and then is condescending on the back end with incorrect grammar. The irony.

Yes, you are saying subbing the RBs and promoting a lack of hidden balance and diversity is bad because you think the shotgun spread base run with Woodhead means we beat good Ds.

Guess what? We don't. You can't change facts and history.

[/QUOTE]

Facts are we didn't score until we went shotgun in the seatle game unless you call 6 points in 3 1/2 qtrs, scoring.    Please stop with the grammar when you can't even figure out what 8 x's 2:45 ='s.  Still fuzzy?

Fact is the RB's sucked and they had to go to the pass to score and you can't change or dispute that.  We all saw it.  I guess you were too busy sticking pins in your homemade Brady voodoo doll.  Or did you order one?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Seahawks are the 3rd best defense in the NFL... nothing is easy against them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Obviously some fans have a hard time understanding that when you have 1 of the greatest QB's and 1 of the greatest offensive rosters in NFL history scoring points is only part of your responsibilities.

Contributing to complimentary football by getting 1st downs, and using the clock to your advantage while still being tops in the league in scoring is the ultimate goal.

Being a finesse offense like the 04 Colts should have never been the goal, unfortunately, that is what we became for the majority of Obriens campaign.

Just because you excuse it by saying it was a talent deficiency doesn't make it any less true.

Anyway I thank BB the coach and GM for drafting some RB's last year and bringing in McD to run the offense. He saw the flawed philosophy and focused on fixing it!

Can't wait till next game. Buffalo is in for a drubbing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Below is from McD's conference call today.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4733459/mcdaniels-feels-good-to-see-smooth-offense

"McDaniels stated that adjusting to what a defense presents and being able to react and execute for four quarters will be an emphasis going forward."

"St. Louis presented us with some different challenges that we hadn’t necessarily seen before, but our guys followed their rules and reacted and executed even so and I think that’s a good thing and we need to do that on a consistent basis," he continued. "It’s something that we haven’t necessarily done each week for four quarters, and that has to be a focus for us going forward."

McDaniels really summed up the problem of the offense for the past 3 years. Poor adjustments and guys not "following their rules". Sounds like an O.C issue to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The offense played to its potential for the first time in a while last week. Lots of new pieces, added the running game, new coordinator, all those changes takes a while to come together. Watch out NFL, the Patriots are going to steamroll everyone in their path now.

The bye week is good for the guys to get healthy but stinks for us fans. Buffalo is going to get crushed .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obviously some fans have a hard time understanding that when you have 1 of the greatest QB's and 1 of the greatest offensive rosters in NFL history scoring points is only part of your responsibilities.

Contributing to complimentary football by getting 1st downs, and using the clock to your advantage while still being tops in the league in scoring is the ultimate goal.

Being a finesse offense like the 04 Colts should have never been the goal, unfortunately, that is what we became for the majority of Obriens campaign.

Just because you excuse it by saying it was a talent deficiency doesn't make it any less true.

Anyway I thank BB the coach and GM for drafting some RB's last year and bringing in McD to run the offense. He saw the flawed philosophy and focused on fixing it!

Can't wait till next game. Buffalo is in for a drubbing.

[/QUOTE]

Do you consider a 95 DPR as "complimentary football" on the part of the D?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The offense played to its potential for the first time in a while last week. Lots of new pieces, added the running game, new coordinator, all those changes takes a while to come together. Watch out NFL, the Patriots are going to steamroll everyone in their path now.

The bye week is good for the guys to get healthy but stinks for us fans. Buffalo is going to get crushed .

[/QUOTE]

I have a REAL problem with this "potential" nonsense. Because the offense is one of the best, and the defense one of the worst, somehow the defense isn't to blame when they suck but the offense is. That's the epitome of BS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The defense will be fine by playoff time. The offense is going to be better than last year. We are lucky to have such a good team. If  Brady along with a few other key players stay healthy the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

I think Brady was right about Patriots fans being spoiled, myself included. They have been good for so long that a lot of us take them for granted.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have a REAL problem with this "potential" nonsense. Because the offense is one of the best, and the defense one of the worst, somehow the defense isn't to blame when they suck but the offense is. That's the epitome of BS.

[/QUOTE]Go ahead and be miserable dude. The defense looked pretty good last week and if you have followed the Patriots the past 10 years you would know that BB always has the d playing its
    best later in the year. I know you hate the defense and that's your right. I'm a fan of the whole team and believe they are going to win it all this year. It's all speculation and we will see in Feb but count me in as being on board.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

The defense will be fine by playoff time. The offense is going to be better than last year. We are lucky to have such a good team. If  Brady along with a few other key players stay healthy the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

I think Brady was right about Patriots fans being spoiled, myself included. They have been good for so long that a lot of us take them for granted.

[/QUOTE]

They certainly have been spoiled. Brady has production off the charts and goobers around here say they would rather have Alex Smith. But the fans certainly haven't been spoiled by good defense for a number of years now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Nobody would rather have Alex Smith. I'm very happy with this team as is. The only thing I would like to see improve is pass defense. I think putting Dennard back there is a step in the right direction.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Go ahead and be miserable dude. The defense looked pretty good last week and if you have followed the Patriots the past 10 years you would know that BB always has the d playing its
    best later in the year. I know you hate the defense and that's your right. I'm a fan of the whole team and believe they are going to win it all this year. It's all speculation and we will see in Feb but count me in as being on board.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not miserable in the least. Our chances of winning the SB with this defense are iffy. With a good D I would be shocked if we didn't win it. Unlike you, my expectations aren't unrealistic. To each his own. But I'm not going to sit by while an outstanding offense gets slammed and a tawdry defense gets praised. That just isn't right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Nobody would rather have Alex Smith. I'm very happy with this team as is. The only thing I would like to see improve is pass defense. I think putting Dennard back there is a step in the right direction.

[/QUOTE]

Rusty would. He has said so.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Patriots are number one in passing offense and number four in rushing. That is unheard of to be that efficient in both modes. That's where the offensive potential comes in, although they struggled in a couple of games it was all because of mistakes, lack of  cohesion. It was obvious that once they gelled the offense would be awesome. We saw that last week, scoring on nearly every drive. IMO they could score on every drive at some point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Funny how all the usual suspects were dead silent after last week's pedestrian offensive showing and now this week are blowing the balance/running/josh horn.

Bottom line

After eight games last year : 5-3

After eight games this year: 5-3

And many of those offensive statistics last year were similar to those this year. 

As far as the running game goes, the talent is way better this year. Talent makes a difference, just like we were saying last year. 

[/QUOTE]

Right and even though the record is the same they are better than last year. The running game is light years ahead of last year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not miserable in the least. Our chances of winning the SB with this defense are iffy. With a good D I would be shocked if we didn't win it. Unlike you, my expectations aren't unrealistic. To each his own. But I'm not going to sit by while an outstanding offense gets slammed and a tawdry defense gets praised. That just isn't right.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what is unrealistic about my expectations . Vegas seems to agree with me. We will see come Feb. I say they win it all. Who is "slamming" the offense ? They are the best in the league.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Patriots are number one in passing offense and number four in rushing. That is unheard of to be that efficient in both modes. That's where the offensive potential comes in, although they struggled in a couple of games it was all because of mistakes, lack of  cohesion. It was obvious that once they gelled the offense would be awesome. We saw that last week, scoring on nearly every drive. IMO they could score on every drive at some point.

[/QUOTE]

The O is great. But it can be bogged down against a tough D. That's were we need the good D to stand tall at the endgame when the O has carved out a late lead for them. People expect the O to just march down the field every time against tough opponents to bail the D out of the lead they just squandered. That isn't going to happen all the time. You need good play on both sides of the ball. I hope the pass D improves.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what is unrealistic about my expectations . Vegas seems to agree with me. We will see come Feb. I say they win it all. Who is "slamming" the offense ? They are the best in the league.

[/QUOTE]

Plenty of people slam the O every time they can't bail the D out of the hole they dig by blowing a 2 score lead late.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Growing pains dude, lots of new pieces and a new coordinator. They are coming together now and are a machine. It's rare to have a team that dominates on both sides of the ball in the salary cap era. Last year they were 2nd to last in defense, this year there are 9 teams behind them, including  the Giants. They have improved a team that was a minute away from winning the Super Bowl last season. That's where my optimism comes in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's funny how every news outlet, sports talking head on the planet acknowledges this, but the pass happy proponent here are in a complete state of denial... laughable.

[/QUOTE]

Do you deny the "balance" this year is about 2 runs per game difference from last year's "balance"?

[/QUOTE]

Babe....where are you getting this 2 more rushing attempts per game? If you read the article Russ  posted, it clearly indicates we are running the ball 10 more times per game, plus, we are running it more effectively...look at the rushing attempt ranking and yards per game average...both up considerably. 

I have to admit I was more surprised by the defensive stats, in that statistically across the board we are a better defense this time this year than we were last. This is ncouraging. 

Thanks for posting Russ