Impact of Martin on the Culture of the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Impact of Martin on the Culture of the NFL

Martin has hired a top NFL attorney to represent him and Incognito, the Dolphins and the NFL itself will need to heed what comes out of this case. Up till now the NFL has been permissive in its approach to hazing. The Martin case illustrates how wrong all that can go: racism, extortion and physical threats to one's safety and family.

Not only do I look for Incognito and the Dolphins to be sued but the NFL may be on the hook as well for it's negligent attitude in allowing destructive behavior to occur in the workplace. To prevent that I look for the NFL to take steps immediately to clean this up and bring the league into the 21st century. How much change can we expect? Gone are the days when rookies will be pressured to pay for vets, gone are the days when rookies will be expected to do anything out of the ordinary for vets or take anything seen as abuse.

No doubt we all have our thoughts about that? Some will lament the loss of rites of passage, others will reference their own experience with abuse while growing up and applaud these protections.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Impact of Martin on the Culture of the NFL

In short, the NFL may be forced to graduate from junior high school. 

Those who regret it . . . well, glory days.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can take the behaviour in the Dolphins' locker room and camp as something that is indicative of the NFL as a whole. 

Hazing exists. 

The Dolphins locker room is toxic. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can take the behaviour in the Dolphins' locker room and camp as something that is indicative of the NFL as a whole. 

Hazing exists. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  There was a bit of sarcasm in my post directed more at those coming out of the woodwork to defend Incognito than at the NFL. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

This will be interesting to watch what the outcome will be here.  Totally interesting to see the changes of this daily.  It's like watching the Hernadez fiasco as it played out, just on a smaller scale.

I don't see the NFL getting sued but they will be changing some things around the league no doubt about it.  As for the Dolphins, there has to be some people fired for this if the coaches and GM knew what was going on.

Will we now see league security in locker rooms?  on practice fields? Watching for anything like this going on with teams for now on?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Interesting take from Brandon Marshall of all people.  Link here

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Interesting take from Harvey/Rusty link here

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:

Interesting take from Harvey/Rusty link here

Ignore Rusty and talk football.

Please.

Thank you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Phins look like  bunch of losers. Period. Scratch "look like" - they are a bunch of losers. Moronic. Stupidity. Igcognito is at best a louse- at worse a psychopath. I'm not kidding. This guy doesn't have a moral compass.  The culture is created from the top down- so yeah I expect the NFL to have zero tolerance for the culture of abuse we're hearing about. Hardly profesional, defintetly not marketable, and stupid, stupid, stupid!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hazing exists. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes this ^^^^ From my viewpoint, The NFLPA is more responsible and culpable from both a legal and human standpoint. I'm interested in knowing what the Union Team Representative knew about this mess. There must be some process(s) of reporting up from Team Union Rep to the NFLPA. If the Union Rep knew all along then it could be that he was also intimidated by just reporting it, then he being the catalyst of breaking the story? Or perhaps The UR did report and the PA, did nothing? This is way over the top of just hazing.

Certainly if the NFL itself broke an article of Rule it would have been reported by the UR. This mess is all within the Dolphins house.

Have a good evening all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Martin will get his payout...his mom is Chief Counsel for some top corporation, and I gaurentee you she knows A LOT about "un-supportive workplace" lawsuits...hiring a top attorney that also happens to be afro-american is a great counter to the NFL's hiring of an african american atty....the NFL's "independent investigation" will be an attempt to insulate the NFL and place all the blame on the Phins, and frankly, I couldn't be happier...someone there in MGT. (Ireland) and coaching (Philbin) have incriminated themselves with comments made to players about toughening Martin up...Incognito being placed on the "6 man leadership" council after the payoff last year to the woman volunteer he sexually assaulted at a Phins-Charity golf tourney is mind boggling....comments of support made by other Phins players are a joke...what are they suppossed to say while Ireland /Philbin can cut them and their paychecks at any time? Racism, extortion, death threats, assaults (all Martin has alleged) is a heavy package of screwups to make go away without some of it sticking.....

This should be fun....

[/QUOTE]

Eloquently said.

The culture will change. Not changing will cost them too much money year in year out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The NFL is a meritocracy, your social engineering experiments will not work.  A team of Martins will lose, and your going to have to change the whole world for people to accept that.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Nope, The NFLPA needs to graduate. Since the Bountygate fiasco, did'nt the NFLPA learn anything? These NFL players are thier people, all Teams have a Union Rep. Meanwhile the Union plays devils advocate, not knowing nothing? That is BS. It's about time the NFLPA steps in and becomes proactive and puts the slammer down on this nonsense, not the NFL Team owners.

In other matters, if Bellichick or any other coach oversteps the Union agreement all he!! breaks loose. They know or should know everything going on with the team, through the UNION Rep. The Union should be held - at least - equally accountable not the NFL alone.

As for the OP, the 'Culture of the NFL' would be more positively impacted by the NFLPA Union actually getting involved with thier own paying members.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting take from Brandon Marshall of all people.  Link here

[/QUOTE]

Pretty astute of Marshall.  He's had his share of problems, but I admire him for taking a big leap and going public about his struggles with mental illness.  Since he's been getting treatment, he's been doing fine.

Of course all facets of this story about this whole sordid mess must be heard, but if these new allegations about Incognito and A) his sexual assault using a golf club on that poor woman and B) the "mandatory strip club meetings"with the OL guys or pay him a fine if they don't show (esp. when some of them are married or have girlfriends), I hope he gets the wosre end of it - both of those things are felonies: assault and extortion.

The Fins knew this guy's history of being a dirty player AND all-around jerk, to put it lightly, and put him in their locker room and allowed him a "leadership" role.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The NFL is a meritocracy, your social engineering experiments will not work.  A team of Martins will lose, and your going to have to change the whole world for people to accept that.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't see how taking harassment out of the workplace makes the NFL less of a meritocracy.  Quite the contrary, actually.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nope, The NFLPA needs to graduate. Since the Bountygate fiasco, did'nt the NFLPA learn anything? These NFL players are thier people, all Teams have a Union Rep. Meanwhile the Union plays devils advocate, not knowing nothing? That is BS. It's about time the NFLPA steps in and becomes proactive and puts the slammer down on this nonsense, not the NFL Team owners.

In other matters, if Bellichick or any other coach oversteps the Union agreement all he!! breaks loose. They know or should know everything going on with the team, through the UNION Rep. The Union should be held - at least - equally accountable not the NFL alone.

As for the OP, the 'Culture of the NFL' would be more positively impacted by the NFLPA Union actually getting involved with thier own paying members.

[/QUOTE]

I agree the union has some role to play, too.  Ultimately (and legally) the employer has the most responsibility for maintaining a non-hostile work environment (and the employer is the Dophins, not the NFL).  But ultimately this issue needs to be addressed by the league and the union together.  

We haven't spoken about the impact of some of this on the CBA, but that's in the background too. I think the most interesting thing is the CBA "binds" a player to a particular team for the length of his contract and prevents him from going to another team unless the employing team releases or trades him.  If the employing team is found to have created a hostile work environment, though, can the employing team still prevent the player from going elsewhere?  To me, that's a thorny issue that may impact the CBA and that the NFL and NFLPA (or their lawyers) both must be concerned about.  And if the EEOC were ever to become involved, that could really upset the apple cart.  I suspect both the NFL and NFLPA are worried about that and are probably cooperating to prevent that.  Note that both the league and the union have been pretty quiet so far, which makes me think they're truly worried about this. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]

Note that both the league and the union have been pretty quiet so far, which makes me think they're truly worried about this. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Union is particularly in a peculiar position being both guys are members. It appears, anyway, that Martin may throw the first legal volley and once that happens it would become very intriguing, calling all parties into a legal fray. Imagine this coming to a head in Court? Whew. We would need to dedicate a thread. Perhaps an arbitrator is the wisest way out, that would keep the bleeding to a minimum but that would need to be agreeable up front ...... and negotiated behind the scene, up front ... lol

Have a good day ....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I heard on the radio today that when he was a rookie Wilfork had to pay $30,000 towards a team party where players were taking home bottles of champagne.

Not the same as what was going on in Miami but not exactly kosher either however they also said on the radio that Wilfork was upset about it meaning Wilfork put an end to it after that. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

IMpact:

Media obsession and over-reaction. 

When dust settles, Weenies will quiet down and Dolphins will continue with their season .  Martin will get his therapy and would be an idiot to take this crybaby story into a courtroom...  Incognito will get reinstated with a slap on the wrist.  No crime was commited.

End of story.    Thankfully.   NEXT.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First off, the Dolphin season is pretty dead.  Incognito can't play under these conditions.  Martin isn't playing.  The circus will take precedence over Miami's beating anybody at all.  This includes week 15 at home versus the Patriots.

It's possible that the settlement between Martin and the Dolphins will happen soon.  If the Dolphins drag this out, not only do they lose Martin's salary off of their cap space and get no football player for their money, but they're interfering with Martin's limited time in which he has to make a living as a football player.  Plus, the Miami circus shall be in town until the day that the Dolphins settle, which means no victories ever and too few fans to fill a stadium.  So, part of the early deal may be Martin's contract release and good riddance.

Assuming that Martin scores a few million from the Phins, will he retire?  Not if he can help it.  Will he play in the CFL?  Not for their chicken feed.  Where shall he go if he's a free agent?  Well, where does any disgruntled malcontent player end up?  Foxboro, and probably playing for the NFL minimum wage.   He'll make an ok backup guard.  I don't think that he can play tackle because he doesn't have the feet.

This opens one other possibility.  Martin will be traded by Miami to anyone that isn't in the AFC East if humanly possible.  Unfortunately, nobody in the NFL will want Martin's current contract. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First off, the Dolphin season is pretty dead.  Incognito can't play under these conditions.  Martin isn't playing.  The circus will take precedence over Miami's beating anybody at all.  This includes week 15 at home versus the Patriots.

It's possible that the settlement between Martin and the Dolphins will happen soon.  If the Dolphins drag this out, not only do they lose Martin's salary off of their cap space and get no football player for their money, but they're interfering with Martin's limited time in which he has to make a living as a football player.  Plus, the Miami circus shall be in town until the day that the Dolphins settle, which means no victories ever and too few fans to fill a stadium.  So, part of the early deal may be Martin's contract release and good riddance.

Assuming that Martin scores a few million from the Phins, will he retire?  Not if he can help it.  Will he play in the CFL?  Not for their chicken feed.  Where shall he go if he's a free agent?  Well, where does any disgruntled malcontent player end up?  Foxboro, and probably playing for the NFL minimum wage.   He'll make an ok backup guard.  I don't think that he can play tackle because he doesn't have the feet.

This opens one other possibility.  Martin will be traded by Miami to anyone that isn't in the AFC East if humanly possible.  Unfortunately, nobody in the NFL will want Martin's current contract. 

[/QUOTE]

After watching a bunch of film to see how he plays, this is his biggest weakness.  He's terribly vulnerable to quick OLBs who line up outside and make a quick move to the inside.  He just can't change direction fast enough once he starts to move to the outside and the defender makes a quick cut inside. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I ask myself: if I were the owner of the Dolpins how much would I be willing to pay to get rid of this headache and move on. I don't think we'll ever find out the settlement amount and I am far from being an expert in these kinds of negotiations but I think the Dolphins would commit 5 to 10mil to get rid of this. And if I were Martin, what would I want to go away and not embarass the Dolphins in court? 25 mil? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

It is possible that by taking this all the way through Court that the culture that spawns this type of incident (as if this or worse hasn't happened before) will be changed.

People will reform if their wallet is lightened enough.  

The NFL would have to require that teams hire a squad of security to observe behavior and enforce rules by taking it to the GM and the league (no confrontation problems).  I'm sure there are some retired ex players that could use the money and would gladly step into those roles.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

Martin went to Stanford and I truly believe he set the Dolphins up to be sued for abuse of an employee. Ritchie Incognito was duped into playing a role, and though a very reprehensible indivigual he's not the culprit in this scenario. At any rate both may be done in Miami. I can't see the Dolphins wanting Martiin back ever!  One thing too complain and point a finger another to cry wolf and threaten the organization with law suits. Also I wouldn't want him on my team either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

um ... trade deadline passed....

Sections
Shortcuts