Implications of Gronk not being ready

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

Implications of Gronk not being ready

The prevaing thought is that BB is retooling the Pat's defense to reflect the obvious that this is a passing league. It would not be shocking if our offense was 60% passing and 40% running. This game ratio has caused playoff problems for the Pats in the past because defenses adjusted accordingly. In addition with no outside wr threat defenses could overload the middle combined with a ferocious pass rush to thwart Brady's passing game.

Brady has had problems adjusting to new wr personnel in the past. Since he already had reliable receivers in Welker, Hernandez and Gronk the passing game featured those individuals. Consider that Welker is no longer here and with Gronk sitting on the sidelines the only remaining option is Hernandez...but how often can you go to the well with him?

What I'm suggesting here is that there is suddenly an added need for Brady to LEARN to TRUST his other new  receivers. As that process matures the Pats offense becomes less predictable. This could be viewed as Gronk's absence accelerating the sophistication of the passing game. We will certainly know more about Ballard too.

Player injuries have accelerated the growth process in the past...Brady? Our OL? etc...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Implications of Gronk not being ready

Interesting perspective.  It will be equally interesting to see how it all unfolds.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Agree. Brady does not need to practice with Welker, Gronk or Hernandez. Obviously, they need their reps at some point, but the fact Gronk may not be ready is fine by me.

Get all those receivers out there and may the best ones win.  Throw to all of them, Brady and work with all of them, please.

No special meetings with Welker or Edelman in LA.  Work with ALL of them, please.

Welker????  Did the Pats get Welker back?  Dude, I wish!!! But Welker is gone. 

We need all these new receivers to be studying their playbooks, knowing what they need to do so they can come in and be impact players from the start.  This team needs to be rolling from the get go in case Gronk isn't ready to go.  Work hard, stay healthy and know the playbook because the main receiver of this team is now in Denver with a plathora of offenes talent. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

priceless TFB12!

Well, preparation is one thing and execution is completely different. 

Lets assume for a second that Dobson & Boyce see some reps. Best case, they both work out, and can contribute to the offense. IF this is the case, i feel much better about the Pats offense putting up points in Gronk's absence until he is able to play. IF not, what are the options? Danny, Hern and crossing fingers Ballard is healthy and picks up the offense? That's a lot of eggs to put into that bucket. 

I am not kidding myself on Gronk. A healthy Gronk makes this offense go. He is in my opinion even a larger contributing factor to the success of the Pats offense than Welker. He simply does more and is uncoverable. There is no other offensive player on our team that requires the same attention as Gronk from opposing defenses. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Yep. It would not hurt them if they learn to make passing options not named Gronk work well.

All in all I see Gronk's absence as an opportunity to integrate Boyce and Dobson, or even the RBs in the passing game. That is unless the offense relies too much on DA early on. I think putting the same focus on DA as they did with WW is asking for DA to go back to the DL. 

My wish: They show early that they can consistently sustain drives and score without having to resort to no huddle/ hurry up. That would indicate to me that the O knows how to grind out yards and points -- important in the playoffs.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Yep. It would not hurt them if they learn to make passing options not named Gronk work well.

All in all I see Gronk's absence as an opportunity to integrate Boyce and Dobson, or even the RBs in the passing game. That is unless the offense relies too much on DA early on. I think putting the same focus on DA as they did with WW is asking for DA to go back to the DL. 

My wish: They show early that they can consistently sustain drives and score without having to resort to no huddle/ hurry up. That would indicate to me that the O knows how to grind out yards and points -- important in the playoffs.

Thank you, sir. Exactly.  We will never win a SB again if our offense is based around intertwining gimmicks.

You can't win in this league if you overuse gimmicks or wrinkles in an offense. Wild Cat, Read Option, Shotgun Spreads, you name it.....Won't work.

Prolate and his friends here will act like it's not an issue and all is well(!), but they're wrong. Welkie is gone because BB didn't want to cave in to a deeper problem. They had 2 million more if they wanted to keep him, but they didn't.  Not a coinidence.

You work from a balanced base.  That's the backdrop. If we get back to that we will be in the SB with a chance to win it again.

Well first BB needs to be able to have a consistent running game.  Maybe instead of drafting and bringing in a handful of mediocre backs, a featured back might be a better option.  The running back merry-go-round isn't the answer, it isn't working in this time and age in the NFL and certainly isn't working against the better defenses.  With a QB like TFB and a half dozen mediocre backs, it's a no brainer why they run the offense they do.  If the Pats had a more dominate back in this offense, one they can count on, then maybe, just maybe they could run a balanced offense and do so with success against the better teams.  I'm sorry, as much as I like Riddley and Vereen, they just aren't the type of backs this team needs to be able to run the ball more with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Actually Hernandez is recovering from shoulder surgery so he probably won't be availablel for OTA's and mini camp.  

Brady should have plenty of opportunity to get on the same page with these new receivers. If they can't then the Pats need to find guys with ESP so they have the ability to know exactly where Brady's mind wants them to be.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

This tells me something about Lloyd. no one seems to want him. He must have done something real dumb. Seems there's always that guy who can't get long with anyone, or the one who's just annoying.   Notice how that was delivered with out names? But remember, it's the thought that counts even this time of year.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If he's ready when it matters in the playoffs, then he should take all the time he needs.  They have enough talent to win in the regular season.  They need him full speed for the playoffs.  If he is healthy and going well, then the Pats will be right up there as contenders.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Just saying, Brady adjusted just fine to Gronk and Hern when they came in. The problem is find the right type of WR for Brady. I think the bigger WRs we drafted will work well with TB. But as far as our offensive planning, it's predicated on our running game as mentioned. Ridley was a great RB, but all we remember is the troubles in the final game of the Pats season. It's hard to draft a AP or MJD or find a Foster just sitting around in UDFA. What Ridley gave us was very very good compliment too our offense.

The real problem is the offensive play calling. After 2007 we got into the mindset of we are going to go up to the line and show you what we got and you can try to stop us. unfortunately even the couch coaches could see what's coming. If you pull Ridley and put a guy in like Woodhead, you know that we are 80% chance throwing the ball. Even if Woodhead runs the ball,,the defense is content letting us get short yardage for him. Then you pull Woodhead and bring in Ridley or Vereen, whoever else who is a legit RB, then the defense knows the run is coming and can stuff it. We need to make Ridley or Vereen an every down back, that will truly keep defenses honest and make our play calling more effective, especially on audibles. When we don't have our two big TEs on the field, we can't just say go up to the line and expect to cram it down their throats every play.

For 2013 we got bigger with pretty much every WR we have. Sure they are all new for the most part, but it adds a dimension that works best with TB. I always hated watching him have to throw down to guys like Welker and Woodhead, then he would get into a groove with Hern and Gronk and start overthrowing everyone else. With the bigger WRs I think it will make the adjustment period shorter, not to mention its not like any of the guys we brought in ever had a problem with catching passes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Hey Rusty... Smith was not a great RB stats-wise, but he was great when they needed a big back (232 lbs) who can pound when needed, explode for 10-15 or catch balls to catch Ds off guard. Ridley can do the latter two, but is not big enough to be that pounder (He'll get hurt if he does it often). Vereen is more like KF.

Blount is not that back either. Bolden and Ridley to me are the same kinds of backs. They may need to find another back to back up Ridley. Ideally, a 230 lb back who has some ability to catch, ans is faster than Blount. There may be an opportunity when teams trim down their rosters.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReturnofBologna. Show ReturnofBologna's posts

Is it safe?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You can't win in this league if you overuse gimmicks or wrinkles in an offense. Wild Cat, Read Option, Shotgun Spreads, you name it.....Won't work.

Prolate and his friends here will act like it's not an issue and all is well(!), but they're wrong. Welkie is gone because BB didn't want to cave in to a deeper problem. They had 2 million more if they wanted to keep him, but they didn't.  Not a coinidence.

You work from a balanced base.  That's the backdrop. If we get back to that we will be in the SB with a chance to win it again.

Prolate has always preferred more diversity in the offense.  Where he disagrees with Rusty and his friends is in believing that the lack of diversity is the result of stubborness or incompetence on the part of the QB and the coaches.  Prolate believes the lack of diversity stems from a lack of diversity in the talent.  Fact is, we had medicre running backs and no real perimeter/deep wideouts but also had very good slots and TEs.  So we ended up throwing between the hashes a lot.  Not surprising at all.

Hopefully we have a more diverse set of talent now.  All depends on how these receivers pan out. Personally, I'm pretty optimistic because I think the running game got better last year.  If the receivers are better this year, we have a complete offense finally. 

Just have to hope the line plays well and avoids the injuries that have plagued it in the past. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to jfaust1954's comment:

I mean, there's got to be a reason why the guy (Lloyd) has been on so many teams in such a short period of time.

He also showed some signfiicant limits in his skills last year.  Besides the back shoulder grab along the sidelines, he really didn't have much success at other routes.  And he was incapable of standing up once he caught the ball.  It was as if it was too heavy for him or something . . .

Still, he was more effective than Branch, which explains why the receiver corp has so desperately needed the makeover it is now getting . . .

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Gronk needing double team and sometimes triple, where as Ballard needing single coverage, will hurt the run game. Teams can put extra players in the box to stop the run.

Gronk is also the best blocking TE on the team, which also hurts the run game...

If the Pats wish top commit to 40% run, they need Gronk on the field to make it effective.

Sections
Shortcuts