Important Question about Free Agents and Patriots...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Important Question about Free Agents and Patriots...

To ALL:

Look, we have many, many astute & studious NFL Fans on this forum, and I don't want to go with my scarry gut-feeling on NE's Free Agency Moves regarding placing restricted or unrestricted or whatever the other myriad of potential tenders on their own players, BUT Can ANYone Answer Me This So I Can Rest More At Ease About My Team's Personell Moves:

WHY On Earth, Did New England Place a Second Round Tender on their kicker (Gostkowski) AND use another all-important tender on a backup of a backup linebacker (Pierre Woods)?  COULDN'T and SHOULDN'T NE's front office have used such tenders on more important players in more-important positions of interest by placing some sort of tender on unrestricted free agents, Jarvis Green & Leigh Bodden?

Why use up that tender on a kicker?  It's one of the cheapest positions to sign, so just sign a great all-around place-kicker and clutch field goal kicker to Top 5 Kicker-money in this uncapped year as it is...  IF it's some sort of a "gamble" to see if another team will bite, THEN gamble that another team will be far more interested in a solid starting CB and secure a draft pick towards that more coveted & more expensive for you yourself to resign player in Leigh Bodden, and just sign one of the least expensive positions (kicker) and/but best ones around (Gostkowski)...  It's just a stup!d and senseless gamble imho... 

Same goes for Pierre Woods, He plays a critical position NE might be 2 starting players short in OLB, but he's awful...  So WhoTH is gonna bite on giving something or anything up for Pierre Woods?  WHY, then NOT place a draft-pick tender on Jarvis Green, who's a back-up as well, YET is a better far more coveted to other team's back-up than Woods, and at a position on the field (3-4 DE) that's insanely difficult to secure even a decent back-up player for one's 3-4 team?  

Please, maybe I'm jumping the proverbial gun here on this one, So ANYone better in the know than I, perhaps can show me with the "Official/Unofficial New England Patriots Free Agents Page" whos link I will provide at the bottom for ALL...  I AM probably wrong here on this, but I really DO want to think my team & the franchise I've loved for well-over 2 decades is ANYthing but being cheap by franchising and gambling that on 2 cheaper players rather than placing tenders on 2 more coveted better positions & players where they'd be forced to match a more expensive offer...  Sorry, if I'm ranting, I'm just confused & the page I'll provide reads like stereo instructions to an English Major here.  Anyway, here's the link, and my questions and concerns are open to ALL of course:

http://www.patscap.com/patsfreeagency.html

http://www.patscap.com/patsfreeagency.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from munichpatsfan. Show munichpatsfan's posts

Re: Important Question about Free Agents and Patriots...

Prove me wrong but as far as i know you can only tender RFAs and Bodden and Green are UFAs. So the only way to keep them would have been to franchise them. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Prove me wrong but as far as i know you can only tender RFAs and Bodden and Green are UFAs. So the only way to keep them would have been to franchise them." 

See THIS would make sense...But now, O.k. Pardon me for asking what some may deem an elementary question (even though I'm sure I'm not alone), but this FA tender-stuff is so utterly foreign to me:  ARE these designations (RFA vs UFA) given when signing with the team initially, and/or a designation label that is set in place based on whatever (accrued seasons or placed in initial player's contract), RATHER than labels a franchise can place on anyone, anytime, and anywhere?  See, I'm pretty singular in thought here (busted my rear for a b- in Philosophy of Logic), Therefore I understand Bodden had it in his contract that he could not be "Franchised" which is a label that's only allowed given to 2 (actually 1) Unrestricted Free Agent, BUT See, I thought it was The Patriots (or any team's) prerogative ("absolute rights") to be able to place a label of Unrestricted Free Agent OR Restricted Free Agent/Exclusive Rights Free Agent on ANY Free Agent whatsoever or whomsoever they really wanted to? 

Sheez, I understand the difference between a nickel and a Big Nickel D or what a WILL a SAM and a million other things are, As clear as day...but anything I CANNOT place exclusively in the "Real & Tangible Universe" as a real thing...well, is my absolute shortcoming (I'm like a genius at id!ot bartender's math, but throw an abstract in there, and ya might as well just k!ll me)...  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from munichpatsfan. Show munichpatsfan's posts

Yes, it´s indeed a question of the accrued seasons in the league. This year, because it´s uncapped, all the fourth and fifth year players are RFAs. These are players you can tender but they are free to negotiate with other teams. The players with up to 3 years are ERFAs. You can tender them, but they are not free to negotiate with other teams. The players with more season under their belt are UFAs unless you franchise them.

Sections
Shortcuts