Improved D No Doubt Helps, But Expect The Offense to Bring Home the Lombardi Trophy.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Improved D No Doubt Helps, But Expect The Offense to Bring Home the Lombardi Trophy.......

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Can Brady be responsible just in part for these losses, TrueChamp? Why do you stop short in holding him accountable?

It's not like it's one game. I can list a handful of games since Welker arrived in 2007, we've run less and fizzled out in Januarys or Februarys.

Finally, do you you think Brady is capable of playing better (more consistently well) throughout the postseason?

Darn it Brady!  Why weren't you out on the field to help that defense from giving up another 80+ yard SB losing drive?

There how is that? 

2 SB's lost on final minutes 80+ yard game losing drives.  1 four and out, games over and the Pats win.  They couldn't do it! Pathetic!  The games were  was won going into the final minutes.... 80+ yards later and they are over.  2 losses! Pathetic!

[/QUOTE]

He's the only QB in SB history to take a Safety on the first play of the game. He also might be the only QB in SB history to throw an INT on 1st down in the 4th qtr like that.  I;d need to double check that one, but what he does earlier in these games, kinda counts too.

All 3 of our SB wins came with the D blowing the lead late due to being tired or injured, or both.

Difference was, Brady didn't suck donkey balls in those SBs. He was focused, made good decisions, limited turnovers and played well for 60 minutes. He did not do that in SB 42 and ESPECIALLY SB 46.

Just think if Brady wasn't so awful in leading our offenses earlier in those games, any points given up late, would have been totally meaningless. 

[/QUOTE]

He is NOT the only QB in SB history to take a safety on the first play of a SB.  SB IX !!!!!

There was also one two weeks earlier in the Falcon game.  And an intentional one in the last SB, although not first drive.

He is certainly not the first or only QB to throw a pic on 1st down, and that was the 4th first down of the drive.  You act like he walked on the field and threw a pic.

He is the FIRST AND only QB to score a 98 yrd TD in a SB and....

The only QB to complete 16 passes in a row    BOTH SB RECORDS!

When you have to lie to make a point, ( which you always do) that means your point is FALSE!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Improved D No Doubt Helps, But Expect The Offense to Bring Home the Lombardi Trophy.......

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Can Brady be responsible just in part for these losses, TrueChamp? Why do you stop short in holding him accountable?

It's not like it's one game. I can list a handful of games since Welker arrived in 2007, we've run less and fizzled out in Januarys or Februarys.

Finally, do you you think Brady is capable of playing better (more consistently well) throughout the postseason?

I certainly am not speaking for TrueChamp, but I feel the correct answer, Russ, is that it is the staff's job to identify obvious tendencies and vulnerabilites in both game planning and player performance. Obviously, Tom Brady does an excellent job with what the coaches give him and with the style of plays and tactical actions they have designed around his abilities. The infatuation with the big numbers and realtive offensive success appear to have made these offensive strategists a bit lazy and blinded by the media hype surrounding the Patriots O unit for so many years. Tom certainly could have executed on a handful of plays better than he has, but the real issue is that the talent evaluators and scheme architects didn't correct the deficiencies sooner. It appears that they have finally admitted to themselves that a change is needed. The player is not at fault if he is not winning because the staff hasn't put him in the best position to win. Its hard to fault Tom for any losses, but I would prefer to see him as an accessory to them given the level of "football IQ" that the NFL world and fans say he is blessed with.

[/QUOTE]

We don't know that people like BB or O'Brien weren;t in Brady's ear asking him to watch out or whatever.

The've been very close two times with the Welker-centric offenses, but clearly, it's not good enough.

People like to blame BB for that but I put more of that failure on the players themselves. The players have to be responsible for the decisions, the throws, the dropped balls, etc.

They used the approach, took it to the hilt, and now they are moving on from that.  The cap era, etc, football is tough. There are playbooks, schemes, etc, you can't just swap out bodies every other year on a whim because of that and the cap.  He would have needed a trading partner in 2011 to move Welker and get a legit lead back, so instead he kind of double dipped in the RB area in the draft.

The only way he could have addressed it earlier, which I suggested AFTER the 2010 playoff loss to the Jets was to deal Welker and Woodhead to Jax for Jones-Drew. It was merely a suggestion as a way to fix this finesse problem of our offense.   I won't get into my hunch of Brady/Welker's friendship subliminally affecting this problem again. But, I do feel that has played into it and that's not BB's fault.  Not every single element or problem is at the foot of BB  here. He's classy and the leader enough to say it's all on him publicly, which is what leaders do, but it's not all on him.

The fact is, 95% of franchises would have loved to have had the weaponry Brady had here since 2007 (generally speaking). Reall, it's been GB, NOs and those teams who can be in the same caetgory as what Brady has had here. 

I've mentioned many times, Brees and Rodgers are under center WAY more than Brady is. Way more, especially Brees.

Anyway, I don't want to argue or ruin your thread. I am excited about the new season, Welker and Woodhead gone (they represent these losses due overuse), the new guys in here to see what they can do, and a fresh start with more traditional Weis style plays and schemes.

The writing is very clearly on the wall here. 

[/QUOTE]
    That is exactly the point Russ. The changes that they have made were needed. I believe that what they are doing will lead to another dominant and exciting year. A more diverse offense and a measureably improved defense means we will have a chance to win another Superbowl. Hopefully, the handful of critical plays that usually make or break one's season won't hold as much weight this year because we will have more margin for error as a result of the changes..........I believe we will.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

I certainly am not speaking for TrueChamp, but I feel the correct answer, Russ, is that it is the staff's job to identify obvious tendencies and vulnerabilites in both game planning and player performance. Obviously, Tom Brady does an excellent job with what the coaches give him and with the style of plays and tactical actions they have designed around his abilities. The infatuation with the big numbers and realtive offensive success appear to have made these offensive strategists a bit lazy and blinded by the media hype surrounding the Patriots O unit for so many years. Tom certainly could have executed on a handful of plays better than he has, but the real issue is that the talent evaluators and scheme architects didn't correct the deficiencies sooner. It appears that they have finally admitted to themselves that a change is needed. The player is not at fault if he is not winning because the staff hasn't put him in the best position to win. Its hard to fault Tom for any losses, but I would prefer to see him as an accessory to them given the level of "football IQ" that the NFL world and fans say he is blessed with.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and there is a difference between "partially responsible" for a loss and Brady being the problem....a very big difference.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh they will do it Rally, especially with Tebow at TE!! Laughing

Good original post.  Still need to have the D step up and not allow any 83 or 88 yard game winning drives within the last couple of minutes of the game.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Sort of like in SB 36 nd 38? lol

We won those games.  Why? We ran the ball, Brady wasn't awful and hence, we won.  Funny huh?

Since when does crappy or mediocre QB play win you SBs?

[/QUOTE]

Right dumbkoff. 3 TDs and 1 INT in Brady's last two SBs is being crappy or mediocre. Learn the game. LMAO@U

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Oh they will do it Rally, especially with Tebow at TE!! Laughing

Good original post.  Still need to have the D step up and not allow any 83 or 88 yard game winning drives within the last couple of minutes of the game.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Sort of like in SB 36 nd 38? lol

We won those games.  Why? We ran the ball, Brady wasn't awful and hence, we won.  Funny huh?

Since when does crappy or mediocre QB play win you SBs?

[/QUOTE]

Right dumbkoff. 3 TDs and 1 INT in Brady's last two SBs is being crappy or mediocre. Learn the game. LMAO@U

[/QUOTE]

You forgot his compl% or Safeties.  Also, bad decisions or poor throws to ice a game aren't listed.

lmao

[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with his 63% completion rate over those 2 SBs dumbkoff?

You mean safeties where 7 blockers can't hold 4 rushers for more than 4 seconds dumbkoff?

Are you referring to the Welker "butterfingers" drop here dumbkoff?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If you strictly enforce a five yard bump zone and teams run short seven yard hitches to the Y how do you not have contact or some sort of impediment that is perceived by the ubiquitous zebras? Short of playing a soft zone or some variation of a prevent that covers the big plays or an intelligent INT it is very difficult to defend WR and TEs that are already difficult for DBs to match-up with (at times due to superior athleticism; especially if you play tight man. Not really okay with the notion that more offense equals bigger ratings and much dinero, but then I don't have the corner office on Park Avenue. There are plenty of towns that love the bone-jarring hit as much or more than the self-proclaimed supremecy of the passing game.  It would be very narrow-minded to assume that NFL popularity is predicated on more offense. It would be tantamount to a "tastes great" versus "less filling" circuitous argument.

All that I ask is that the rules do not affect the outcome of the game. It depends on the style of offense you run; as I stated in an earlier post (aoens ago) neither Goodell  nor the head of officating can legislate aggression out of the game. Do the rules favor the offense considerably more than the defense? Definitely. All the more reason why an intelligent defense with great sub-packages is necessary or more succintly scheme versatility from players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

your defense is not going to win you a championship if it is required to hold an offense below 15 ppg. That is what we have asked of our defense in our last 3 championship games

Good post.

[/QUOTE]

The defense sure is going to win a game for you if they manage to give up less than 15 points in a superbowl game and your offense manages to score 16 points.  Are you learning the modern math they're teaching in schools today?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Darn it Brady!  Why weren't you out on the field to help that defense from giving up another 80+ yard SB losing drive?

There how is that? 

2 SB's lost on final minutes 80+ yard game losing drives.  1 four and out, games over and the Pats win.  They couldn't do it! Pathetic!  The games were  was won going into the final minutes.... 80+ yards later and they are over.  2 losses! Pathetic!

He's the only QB in SB history to take a Safety on the first play of the game. He also might be the only QB in SB history to throw an INT on 1st down in the 4th qtr like that.  I;d need to double check that one, but what he does earlier in these games, kinda counts too.

All 3 of our SB wins came with the D blowing the lead late due to being tired or injured, or both.

Difference was, Brady didn't suck donkey balls in those SBs. He was focused, made good decisions, limited turnovers and played well for 60 minutes. He did not do that in SB 42 and ESPECIALLY SB 46.

Just think if Brady wasn't so awful in leading our offenses earlier in those games, any points given up late, would have been totally meaningless. 

He is NOT the only QB in SB history to take a safety on the first play of a SB.  SB IX !!!!!

There was also one two weeks earlier in the Falcon game.  And an intentional one in the last SB, although not first drive.

He is certainly not the first or only QB to throw a pic on 1st down, and that was the 4th first down of the drive.  You act like he walked on the field and threw a pic.

When you have to lie to make a point, ( which you always do) that means your point is FALSE!!!

SB IX? Who was the choking QB in that one? Ok, so he's the second QB to start a SB with a Safety. Great. So, he has a partner.

I don't care when he threw the pick. It was on FIRST DOWN and completely reckless and unnecessary.

The 98 yard drive is great, but it is completely soured by the mistakes. Who cares and why would anyone even remember that anyway? It's about the small things and decision making in close games not gawking at a record setting drive stat from the 2nd qtr.

Edit:

I just caught you in a MASSIVE LIE as you call me a liar.

Second Quarter

• PIT - Safety: Dwight White tackled Fran Tarkenton in end zone 2-0 PIT

The first play of the game for an offense happens in the 1st qtr, not the 2nd qtr. LOL

Caught LYING again. Tom Brady is the only QB in SB history to take a sack on the first play from scrimmage. Yes. Fact.

Summary: First QB ever to take Safety on first play from scrimmage.

First QB ever to throw an INT on 1st down in the 4th qtr of a SB.

fORTH QUARTER:

1-10-CHI38 (11:59) R.Grossman pass deep right intended for M.Muhammad INTERCEPTED by K.Hayden at IND 44. K.Hayden for 56 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by CHI and Upheld. (Timeout #2 by CHI at 11:44.)

tOOK ABOUT 3 MINUTES TO FIND.

Also you are right about the first play but it wasn't the first time that a safety opened the scoring.  Also there have been 7 safeties in  SB's, 15% of them.

Who cares if it was the first drive or 3rd or 12th.  Oh yeah, couldn't have been in the 10th or 11th or 12th.  That would impossible.  Those possessions never happened.

Probably the only time in history though, that the O had to start from their own 6 to start the game because the D failed to make a stop in gints territory, THE ENTIRE GAME!

Also probably the only time the D failed to get even one 3 & out.  Pathetic

Even in the 46/10 thrashing, the Pat's D managed 3, 3 & outs and 2, 2 & outs fumble recoveries) against Chicago.   LOL!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

PLease post Brady's AFC Title game stats since 2007,

I see. I schooled you like the fool you are on your BS statements about the SB, so now you run away to the AFCCGs. LMAO@U

Another day, another bludgeoning of the VI.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

2011 Superbowl. Score is 17-15 going into the 4th quarter. Giants OFFENSE scores on their last possession, ultimately winning the game at 21-17.

So, if the Patriots DEFENSE didn't give up the last score, looks like only giving up 15 points would have won the game for the patriots.

Point is, the DEFENSE couldn't/didn't make the ONE STOP when needed the most. And, if memory serves me correctly, Brady doesn't play defense.....lol.

I would imagine quite a few fans would acknowledge that the Patriots defense  has had problems stopping opponents during critical parts of various games.

Hopefully, this year, the Patriots have added enough defensive playmakers to help win some games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There how is that? 

SB IX? Who was the choking QB in that one? Ok, so he's the second QB to start a SB with a Safety. Great. So, he has a partner.

I don't care when he threw the pick. It was on FIRST DOWN and completely reckless and unnecessary.

The 98 yard drive is great, but it is completely soured by the mistakes. Who cares and why would anyone even remember that anyway? It's about the small things and decision making in close games not gawking at a record setting drive stat from the 2nd qtr.

Edit:

Second Quarter

The first play of the game for an offense happens in the 1st qtr, not the 2nd qtr. LOL

Caught LYING again. Tom Brady is the only QB in SB history to take a sack on the first play from scrimmage. Yes. Fact.

fORTH QUARTER:

1-10-CHI38 (11:59) R.Grossman pass deep right intended for M.Muhammad INTERCEPTED by K.Hayden at IND 44. K.Hayden for 56 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by CHI and Upheld. (Timeout #2 by CHI at 11:44.)

Also you are right about the first play but it wasn't the first time that a safety opened the scoring.  Also there have been 7 safeties in  SB's, 15% of them.

Who cares if it was the first drive or 3rd or 12th.  Oh yeah, couldn't have been in the 10th or 11th or 12th.  That would impossible.  Those possessions never happened.

Probably the only time in history though, that the O had to start from their own 6 to start the game because the D failed to make a stop in gints territory, THE ENTIRE GAME!

[/QUOTE]

So, Rex Grossman and Tom Brady. You're walking right into my trap swimmingly.   Rex Grossman and Tom Brady are the only two. Do you realize how stupid you sound?

Rex Grossman was HORRENDOUS and may have been the worst QB in SB history.  He wasn't better than Vince Ferragamo. Even Dilfer was better.

I care if the Safety was on the first drive because it was a chance for our offense to respond after the D forced the Giants to punt on their first drive. 

This is the part you don't get. Our D makes a stop or a series of stops and then you make excuses as to why Brady was to lazy to run to his right and just throw it away. Instead he either didn't run and just reared back and threw it recklessly for a Safety, and later, the INT.

Now it's Rex Grossman and BRady hand in hand for the worst 4th qtr by a QB in SB history. Great.  Super.

The other thing that makes it embarrassing for you is Grossman's Bears were TRAILING. We were leading 17-15!

Even more reason for Brady to take care of the ball. 

[/QUOTE]

Didn't say Grossman was Brady.  Just pointing out one more of your many lies.

You might want to check stats before you make outrageous, cherry picking, claims.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Good post, BUT! The last 4 Superbowl Champs have had Top-10 Offenses, while only 1 of those teams had a top-10 D. Case closed. I do however believe more offensive balance is key for the future. 

The winner of last year's Super Bowl was ranked #2 in rushing attempts per game in the playoffs, only the Broncos had more but they only played one game and were ousted quickly.  Ground and pound.

The previous year the Super Bowl winner (Giants) were ranked 4th in attempts per game but overall were far and away the rushing attempts leader.  They jumped from 26 attempts to 28 attempts in the post season and ran ten more plays in the Super Bowl than their opponents and were the winners.  Ground and pound.

The winners of the 2010 Super Bowl were the Steelers were ranked 2nd in post season rushing attempts per game at 32.3 attempts per game, a huge leap from their regular season 29 attempts per game.  Ground and pound.

The only year that wasn't a ground and pound affair in the playoffs was 2009, where we had two dome teams who won home field advantage throughout the playoffs... needless to say the Saints ran more than the Colts and won the Super Bowl.

I could go on and on but why bother, there will always be those who deny the obvious, the team that runs more, pass well of course but run a lot win the Super Bowl.  Goodell may have made a mockery of the regular season with all these penalty flags a flying but the playoffs are left to the toughest ground and pound teams to win.  2009 was an anomaly, two dome teams winning home field throughout is such a statistical improbability that it almost never happens and probably wouldn't have happened without the NFL making it possible with a healthy dose of flags.

The playoffs are about toughness and finesse teams, offensively or defensively get weeded out quickly.

Rusty don't bother trying to put words in mine or Truechamps mouth, Brady hasn't been the problem, the biggest problem has been the loss of offensive coordinators...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There how is that? 

Edit:

Second Quarter

fORTH QUARTER:

[/QUOTE]

So, Rex Grossman and Tom Brady. You're walking right into my trap swimmingly.   Rex Grossman and Tom Brady are the only two. Do you realize how stupid you sound?

Rex Grossman was HORRENDOUS and may have been the worst QB in SB history.  He wasn't better than Vince Ferragamo. Even Dilfer was better.

I care if the Safety was on the first drive because it was a chance for our offense to respond after the D forced the Giants to punt on their first drive. 

This is the part you don't get. Our D makes a stop or a series of stops and then you make excuses as to why Brady was to lazy to run to his right and just throw it away. Instead he either didn't run and just reared back and threw it recklessly for a Safety, and later, the INT.

Now it's Rex Grossman and BRady hand in hand for the worst 4th qtr by a QB in SB history. Great.  Super.

The other thing that makes it embarrassing for you is Grossman's Bears were TRAILING. We were leading 17-15!

[/QUOTE]

You might want to check stats before you make outrageous, cherry picking, claims.

[/QUOTE]

You might want to check the parameters of my statements. The Bears were trailing.  Brady is the only QB to throw an INT in the 4th qtr on 1st down in a SB with a lead.

The fact Grossman is the only other one to do it, but while trailing, makes the Brady stat in the  NFL annals far, far worse. Obviously.  The idea is to protect the football, not give it right back.

He's been awful with that in recent postseasons. The D makes a stop and momentum shifts in our favor and what does Brady do?  Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

Here is your statement

LIAR!

And who said that was the only one?  I stopped  looking just as soon as I proved you a LIAR.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There how is that? 

Edit:

Second Quarter

fORTH QUARTER:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You might want to check the parameters of my statements. The Bears were trailing.  Brady is the only QB to throw an INT in the 4th qtr on 1st down in a SB with a lead.

The fact Grossman is the only other one to do it, but while trailing, makes the Brady stat in the  NFL annals far, far worse. Obviously.  The idea is to protect the football, not give it right back.

He's been awful with that in recent postseasons. The D makes a stop and momentum shifts in our favor and what does Brady do?  Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

Here is your statement

LIAR!

And who said that was the only one?  I stopped  looking just as soon as I proved you a LIAR.

[/QUOTE]

Nope. Here's what you did.

You chose the worst QB in NFL history in a SB (Rex Grossman) throwing one in a game that was OVER. OVER.

Brady, with a lead, does it when the idea was to do anything positive but at all costs do not throw an INT.

You also lied earlier, outright in a sneaky fashion, saying Tarkenton took a sack on the first play from scrimmage in SB IX, which was a lie.  I never even knew he took a Safety in SB IX. You offered that up, I checked knowing you lie, and I caught you cold again. Again!

lmao

Face it, Brady sucked in the 4th qtr of SB 46. He sucked. He crapped em good. Oh yes he did. If he ate 5 burritos at halftime and crapped himself it couldn't have been worse.

[/QUOTE]

The safety was the first score of the game in both games. POINT?  Yes it was the first play in the second quarter.  I said that already.

Again we are not comparing QB's we are proving that TB was not the only QB to throw a pick on first down in the 4th, which is what you said.

How many times do I need to re-post your quote?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

^^^Pezzy in his panties = Unglued

How many more times do I have to post that Grossman wasn't involved in a game with a lead?  I's just the cherry on top that's your reference point, too. Grossman is what we wan with our QB in Brady. Brady is a HOFer. Brady now plays like a 1st rd bust in the 4th qtr of a SB and this is what you want?

And you most CERTAINLY did not proclaim Brady wasn't alone in the Safety as the first play of the game in the SB. You said it happened in SB IX. It did not. Another lie.

You said I was wrong and it happened in SB IX. You did your usual "you're a liar" routine with highlighting and exclamation points.

That's when I knew something was up. Whenever you sound firm, I know you're over-selling. I double checked SB IX's box score and caught you redhanded.

Once more: First QB ever to throw an INT on 1st down in the 4th qtr of a SB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Second. Brady is also the first to take a Safety from the first play from scrimmage in SB history.

- Fran Tarkenton

LOL!!!

PS Was Rex Grossman ever an official NFL QB? Tears!

Funny, I lived in Chicago at the time and said Orton was better.  Hmm. Funny, Orton is WAY better than Grossman.

Apparently, it's a great thing Pezzy feels Brady is like Grossman. LMAO!  Cannot be made up.

Hey, did Tarkenton run around in SB IX on the first play or sometime in the 2nd qtr? LOL!!!!

Patriots might have worst defense in Super Bowl history   2 Print Email   February 01, 2012 12:15 am  •  Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 0 Bernie: It's Peyton's place, but Eli is the man this week

Giants QB is Peyton's biggest fan, but he'd like to double his brother's Super Bowl success. Read more

Bernie Bytes: Faulk not thrilled with Rams

Hall of Famer won't be cutting Fisher and the new regime much slack. Read more

INDIANAPOLIS • If the New England Patriots claim the Lombardi Trophy on Sunday night, one could build a convincing case that theirs is the worst defense in Super Bowl history.

The caveat would be saying such a thing about any unit coached by Bill Belichick.

New England's defensive personnel bear not a whit of resemblance to the typical powerhouses that generally make it to Super Sunday. Other than three to five players, it's a melange of mediocrity few teams would even want on their rosters.

"Green Bay's defense is more talented than New England's," said one personnel man with more than 25 years of experience working for National Football League clubs. "New England has got to be the least talented team in the league on defense. They're horrible in the secondary. The Mark Andersons of the world, they're just kind of castoffs."

He and a personnel director for another AFC team said the Patriots would have to go down as the poorest defense in Super Bowl annals if they win.

There is no foolproof method to rank a defense. The performance of the offense and special teams impact points allowed as well as takeaways. Yards allowed per play is a good barometer, but for the sake of uniformity let's just stick with the standby of yards allowed.

New England, which gave up 8 yards fewer than the Packers and ranked 31st, would be far and away the worst in this category. New Orleans, which won two years ago, presently has the lowest ranking of No. 25. Next would be the surprising Patriots of 2001, who ranked 24th.

Of the 45 Super Bowl champions, 11 ranked first in yards allowed, five ranked second and six ranked third. Thirty-eight defenses, or 84 percent, ranked among the top 10.

New England's defense has shown signs of life in the playoffs. Still, let's not get carried away because their first opponent was Tim Tebow and Denver. Then Baltimore's Joe Flacco shredded them for 306 yards in the AFC title game.

Massive Vince Wilfork is a blue-chip player all the way. In his eighth season, the 350-pounder still managed to play 86.1 percent of the regular-season snaps and 67 of 70 against the Ravens.

Inside linebacker Jerod Mayo is a red-chip player, runs the defense and is capable of making some big plays. However, scouts say he hasn't been as good this season, partially because of knee problems.

Patrick Chung, easily the best player in the secondary, returned three games ago after missing seven weeks with a foot injury. He'd rank among the top seven to 10 safeties in the league.

Brandon Spikes, the inside linebacker on the strong side, probably is the fourth most attractive player. He ran 40 yards in a slow 5.03 seconds two years ago and scored poorly (13) on the Wonderlic intelligence test, but on first and second downs he is a rugged run stuffer.

Of the other 19 players on defense, 12 have been released in their careers, and eight have been cut more than once. Rob Ninkovich, one of the starting outside linebackers, has been waived six times after managing to stay in the league as a long snapper. Starting cornerback Kyle Arrington has been whacked on four occasions.

Shuffling bodies and schemes, Belichick has given 40 players at least one snap on defense.

Given the revolving door in the locker room caused by a dizzying number of roster transactions, Belichick at least has prevented a catastrophe by minimizing the number of blown assignments.

Rusty says.  TB is the only QB in SB history to EVER throw a pick in the 4th qtr. on 1st down.  Rusty lied!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

SF 21 1–10 Marino rollout, pass to Rose right end zone intercepted by Williamson, touchback.

Gee, another 4th quarter int. on 1st down in a SB.  How many more do you need?

Here's another.  Gee this is easy.

Dallas (8:41)
    Gerela kick to D 15. P. Pearson recovered own fumble, no return. D 15 1–10 Staubach pass to D. Pearson middle intercepted at D 26. Wagner 19 return (Neely).

And

Fourth quarterW 36 3–4 Theismann 10 pass to Warren middle (L. Blackwood). W 46 1–10 Riggins 9 run middle (Duhe). M 45 2–1 Riggins 2 run left (Rhone). M 43 1–10 Riggins lateral to Theismann, Theismann pass to Brown intercepted at M 1, L. Blackwood no return.

another.  Believe they won that one and had the lead.

Then there was this one, LOL  Think they won this one too.

3-9-CAR9 (7:48) T.Brady pass intended for C.Fauria INTERCEPTED by R.Howard at CAR -2. R.Howard to CAR 10 for 12 yards (D.Koppen)

Oh, and I counted 22 plays from shotgun.  That int was not one of them.  13 possessions with 7 in the first half which is 1 less then 42 & 46. 

Guess you do need posessions to score. eh?

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

CLARK JUDGE______7/13/13_____________________________________

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Rusty says.  TB is the only QB in SB history to EVER throw a pick in the 4th qtr. on 1st down.  Rusty lied!

all the time. Simply doesn't know the difference between a real fact and opinion. Consistent with his delusions of grandeur.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

GB beat Pitt in the 2010 SB (January 2011).   GB had a group of runners they used, but they made sure they ran in that SB to keep Pitt honest, similar to how Indy did it vs Chicago in the 2006 SB down in Miami.

Wozzy, don't bother being 99% there with realizing Brady needs to be better, pretty much saying it and then refusing to, because it's pretty obvious you are admitting as much, just refusing to follow through and say the words. You can pretend all day long it's not on Brady, but it is.   I've run through the Rolodex of who to blame for years before coming to Brady's name, but the more research I did, it was Brady's name who continued to be the main source of this.

This has been going on for years. I wanted to blame O'Brien, too. But, it's not O'Brien. It ain't McDaniels. It's Brady. He runs the show. Weis ran it here for 4 years with Brady, then left, and Brady is the same age as McDaniels and friends with McDaniels.

Our OCs can't control Brady audibling or doing what he chooses based on what Ds show him pre-snap. That's on Brady just like it's on Gomer in Denver. When each fails, each should be held accountable.  Denver didn't blame Mike McCoy for Gomer's 3 INTs last year in the playoffs.

I'd simply like more running and more work under Center like Rodgers and Brees are.

Yeah I had that backwards but there is enough information there to glean the obvious, last year for example the Ravens had the most rushing attempts per game in the playoffs and the 49ers ran the most after them, both made it to the Super Bowl.  In the playoffs you have to play old school, you have to be tougher than your opponent and impose your will, nothing does that better, more effectively or opens up play action better than running.

I know you have a script to follow here but don't even attempt to put words in my mouth, you give way too much credit to QB's, they need a strong offensive corps around them the same way everybody else does.  The earlier 2000 offenses had more grit, more mental fortitude, that's how they drove the length of the field three times to win Super Bowl hardware, not because Brady alone played better but because the unit as a whole played better and the play calling was better.

Stop listening to Colin Cowherd, QB's are only a cog in the machine, yes an important piece, but a piece just the same.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

your defense is not going to win you a championship if it is required to hold an offense below 15 ppg. That is what we have asked of our defense in our last 3 championship games

Good post.

[/QUOTE]

The defense sure is going to win a game for you if they manage to give up less than 15 points in a superbowl game and your offense manages to score 16 points.  Are you learning the modern math they're teaching in schools today?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry but unfortunately the offense hasn't been that good in the last couple Super Bowls, or didn't you actually do the math?  There are more pitiful examples like the Jests creaming us at home in the first and only playoff game of 2010... embarrassing is a word that comes to mind.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

A lot of mixed points throughout this thread. Some perspective:

1. You need a high scoring offense to have a high seed in the playoffs. Still, we are seeing a handful of Ds starting to emerge. Check out the entire NFC West for example.

2. You need to be able to run effectively in cold weather, bad weather, and more particularly during the playoffs. And when you play a team with a D in the playoffs (which you must eventually do) you will need to be able to run to keep the D honest or suffer the consequences for key first downs or red zone plays.

3. While the Os may be dominating the Ds most of the time it is a good D that can rise to the occasion in a playoff game that can determine the winner. If their D cannot stop you in the clutch but you can come up with a big series and/or turnover you will likely win. Even in higher scoring games a D coming up big at the most critcal time(s) makes the difference.

So why is it that from football to politics so many people think in the most simple terms; in black and white, good and bad.... as if the world is binary and there are no shades of gray, no nuances, no sublties, just a cartoon world? The question of D v O and the question of running the ball are just examples.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I wonder if some people even watch the games.  I mean, really, in 2010, the Packers ran 43.5% of the time through the playoffs and won the Super Bowl while passing 43 times and running just 13 times.  In 2009, the Saints, "breesed" through the playoffs running just 41.9% of the time and won the Super Bowl passing 40 times and running just 18 (and the 18 includes Brees's kneel down).  Yeah, the Steelers and Ravens were more balanced, but they also are good defensive teams.  You can win with "ground and pound" balance when you have a good defense.  When you have a bad defense, you have to pass a lot and try to score.  Bill Belichick knows this, which is why he does what he does.  It has nothing at all to do with Brady calling the wrong plays or bad offensive coordinators.  It's basic football. And Belichick does it exactly the way it should be done.  The team lost because the defense isn't good enough to hold leads and the offense has been too one-dimensional.  But the problem is not, never has been, and never will be Bill Belichick's (or his OCs or QBs) play calling.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I wonder if some people even watch the games.  I mean, really, in 2010, the Packers ran 43.5% of the time through the playoffs and won the Super Bowl while passing 43 times and running just 13 times.  In 2009, the Saints, "breesed" through the playoffs running just 41.9% of the time and won the Super Bowl passing 40 times and running just 18 (and the 18 includes Brees's kneel down).  Yeah, the Steelers and Ravens were more balanced, but they also are good defensive teams.  You can win with "ground and pound" balance when you have a good defense.  When you have a bad defense, you have to pass a lot and try to score.  Bill Belichick knows this, which is why he does what he does.  It has nothing at all to do with Brady calling the wrong plays or bad offensive coordinators.  It's basic football. And Belichick does it exactly the way it should be done.  The team lost because the defense isn't good enough to hold leads and the offense has been too one-dimensional.  But the problem is not, never has been, and never will be Bill Belichick's (or his OCs or QBs) play calling.  

In general I agree. THough BB does not generally call O plays and there are times when anyone, including BB, will and has made mistakes in calls.

But also, it is not simply calling a run or a pass but the details that can make the difference. In 2007 SB we scored and then could do no right till near the end of the game. So there was clearly a problem with WHAT that team was doing on O. They were flumoxed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I would say a coordinators job entails a lot more than play calling, they have a huge say in personnel matters on their side of the ball as well, if the offense became a lopsided imbalanced unit (which it did 2009-1011) it probably had a lot to do with Bill O'Brien not being able to express what he thought he needed on his side of the ball and/or not knowing what was missing.  

I was also pretty explicit when I mentioned that 2009 Super Bowl was an anomaly in comparison to the overall history of the big game and only made possible by Goodell's new mandate that the zebras control the outcomes of the games with penalty flags.

Ground and pound can be run with any defense, it will make the defense better and is particularly good with an opportunistic defense that gathers turnovers.  The idea that you don't run the ball because you think your defense is no good is a fabrication in your mind as silly as Rusty's notion that "Brady is a problem."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[QUOTE]

In general I agree. THough BB does not generally call O plays and there are times when anyone, including BB, will and has made mistakes in calls.

But also, it is not simply calling a run or a pass but the details that can make the difference. In 2007 SB we scored and then could do no right till near the end of the game. So there was clearly a problem with WHAT that team was doing on O. They were flumoxed.

[/QUOTE]

Super Bowll 42 was clearly won by the Giants D line beating our O line.  You can point to a hundred other things that also affected that game, but nothing was more important than that.  We couldn't run against that front and we couldn't get enough time to pass effectively.