Improved D No Doubt Helps, But Expect The Offense to Bring Home the Lombardi Trophy.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Improved D No Doubt Helps, But Expect The Offense to Bring Home the Lombardi Trophy.......

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

But in 2007 they passed 57% of the time and ran 43%.  That's less balanced actually than they were last year or in 2010 and only slightly more balanced than 2011.

In 2007, in a typical game they would have passed 37 times and ran 28 times.  In 2011, in a typical game, they passed 38 times and ran 27 times.  The increased balance amounts to one play per game switching from a pass to a run. 

Again, I don't know how many times I can repeat myself, in 2007 the Pats ranked 9th in rushing attempts, they were 5th in rushing TD's in the entire NFL... giving percentages is nonsense because the dynamic of the league changes every season with new rules and increased offense.  

Judging teams against their peers is the only way to truly measure balance or anything else for that matter.

Also the Patriot offense has been more talented than just about every other team in the NFL at positions that matter most; QB and offensive line.  Many other teams have fabulous running backs, wide receivers etc... but without the O Line in front, nothing else matters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Improved D No Doubt Helps, But Expect The Offense to Bring Home the Lombardi Trophy.......

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

But in 2007 they passed 57% of the time and ran 43%.  That's less balanced actually than they were last year or in 2010 and only slightly more balanced than 2011.

In 2007, in a typical game they would have passed 37 times and ran 28 times.  In 2011, in a typical game, they passed 38 times and ran 27 times.  The increased balance amounts to one play per game switching from a pass to a run. 

Again, I don't know how many times I can repeat myself, in 2007 the Pats ranked 9th in rushing attempts, they were 5th in rushing TD's in the entire NFL... giving percentages is nonsense because the dynamic of the league changes every season with new rules and increased offense.  

Judging teams against their peers is the only way to truly measure balance or anything else for that matter.

Also the Patriot offense has been more talented than just about every other team in the NFL at positions that matter most; QB and offensive line.  Many other teams have fabulous running backs, wide receivers etc... but without the O Line in front, nothing else matters.

[/QUOTE]

Great point! I know I'm gonna draw major criticism from those who don't really know any better, but based on the evolution of the game and my personal experiences, I say with complete confidence that the most important positions for having a winning team in the NFL in reverse order are:

3. CB

2. QB

1. O-line, especially "blind side tackle" LT for a right handed QB, and RT for a left handed QB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I think others have posted before, but, mebbe it's not whether it's pass dominated vs. rush dominated vs. "balanced" (whatever that might mean to fan) - but it's doing whatever (all three phases of the game) is needed to beat a specific opponent.

The Patriots arguably have had a top 3 offense in the entire NFL in the past 2-3 years (with a below average defense).  As they stand right now, they are going to beat most average or poorer teams. After that, who knows how well they actually do vs. "better" teams.  

When it comes to winning one game (i.e., the Superbowl) - the outcome will depend on who they're matched up against, the health of the team, and luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The raw number of rushing attempts means nothing if you don't look at overall scrimmage plays run. The more plays in total the more rushing attempts and passing attempts you'll have given a fixed mix of running and passing plays. And rankings will vary based on what other teams are doing, which says nothing about your own balance.  That's why percentages are a better measure of balance because they take into account how many plays were run and aren't influenced by what other teams do. Still in 2011 (their most unbalanced recent year), by raw numbers, they were 17th in rushing attempts, with 438, compared to 9th with 451 in 2007.  That's just a difference of 13 attempts, not even one per game.  It's insignificant. And in 2011, just 18 more rushing attempts for the season would have moved the Pats from 17th to 9th in the rankings. Again, a fairly minor difference.