in case you missed it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

in case you missed it

Bob Ryan in the Globe;

OK, Patriots fan, I have a question for you.

Are you happy?

I mean, are you OK with them? Is being reasonably assured that your team is going to win its customary 11 or 12 (or more) games and will win yet another AFC East title and then enter the postseason as not really a Serious Contender but more like a Quality Opponent enough for you?

If you are, that’s fine. I’m with you. We know there will be many pleasurable Sundays and Mondays, with only a few real clunkers. This assumes, of course, that certain people stay healthy, but that’s the case with every team in this most hazardous of team sports.

But time marches on and Tom Brady turned 37 on the third of this month and there are only so many opportunities to stock the trophy case in Foxborough with another Lombardi. Come February, it will be (gulp) 10 seasons since the third Super Bowl triumph. That’s a disturbing number of X’s, L’s, I’s, and V’s ago.

Given some of the monumental teasing you, the fan, have been subjected to, most notably the bitter conclusion to the Super Bowl in February 2008, and the subsequent run of highly successful regular seasons — the team is a gaudy 51-13 the last four years — it would be completely understandable if you are not satisfied with the product. You have expected more. This bridesmaid’s deal is getting old.

You’ve got to be in one camp or the other. I can’t imagine any middle ground.

Continue reading below

I’m sure most, but not all, of you were jolted and angered by the recent Bill Belichick eve-of-the-season bombshell, the trading of Logan Mankins, who might very well have been the second-best offensive lineman in the history of the franchise, out-accoladed only by John Hannah. I say it is OK to be angered, but not to have seen this coming means you haven’t been doing your Belichick homework. If you check the public utterances of one Logan Mankins, going back to the OTAs, you will see that he knew he was vulnerable. He heard about the Lawyer Milloy deal. He lived through the Richard Seymour episode. He’s a smart guy.

I’m sure Mankins kept saying to himself, “Nah, I hope Bill wouldn’t really do that to me.” But his rational self knew very well that the coach and chief grocery shopper of the New England Patriots saves his emotions for trips to Canton. When Coach Bill says in reference to any personnel move that “I was acting in the best interests of the team,” he means just that. You don’t think that if he ever determined that Brady was slipping beyond redemption and he thought he had a QB available whom he really thought gave the Patriots a better chance to win on that particular Sunday or Monday evening he wouldn’t do it? Of course, he would.

That brings us to another Patriots issue. Is “In Bill I Trust” still your personal mantra?

Just asking.

That has been the governing principle in Foxborough for 15 years. Coach Bill sometimes moves in mysterious ways. One dare not question his judgment. After all, is he not always acting “in the best interests of the team?” Why, yes. As he sees it. The buck stops with him.

The truth is he is right often, but not always. Admitting an occasional error would make him more endearing and human, but he is not inclined to do that. Wouldn’t you pay cash money to hear him say, just once, “You know, I must admit I’ve made a mess of the a) wide receiver and b) defensive back positions in the last several years?” Because he has, and, especially with regard to the wide receivers, his moves smack of arrogance. His Father Flanagan, “there’s no such thing as a bad boy” signings haven’t been so fruitful, either, with the notable exception of Randy Moss’s record-setting performance in 2007.

Now then, brace yourself. I’m going to bring up the dreaded “S-word.”

Coach Bill was a bad boy. He was an envelope-pushing bad boy, and he got caught. He got caught and he didn’t care. He did it again and then offered up a preposterously lame and thoroughly disingenuous excuse about not being sure of the rule in question. Let’s make one thing clear: Nobody in the NFL knows the rules and regulations better than Bill Belichick.

People hereabouts want to pretend the S-word didn’t happen. The rest of the world knows better. And many Patriots and Belichick haters love to point out that since that S-word thing happened the Patriots have not won a Super Bowl. They coulda/shoulda/woulda won both times against the Giants, but they didn’t. Hats off to the Giants, and to Eli Manning, who twice one-upped Brady by taking the ball behind on the scoreboard and then orchestrating winning touchdown drives in the biggest showcase the sport has to offer.

Some people believe it must be divine intervention, punishing Coach Bill for being a naughty, envelope-pushing boy. I’m not going there.

The specific reason the Patriots have not won a Super Bowl since February 2005 is that time and again they have not had a defense good enough to get the other guys off the field in a three-and-out when they absolutely, positively had to do so. The chief grocery shopper’s ingredients were not good enough. Mr. Brady hasn’t always been all that sensational in some of those games, either, but the primary reason for the Patriots’ premature season endings since that last Super Bowl triumph has been a so-so defense.

So, here comes Darrelle Revis. Here, in time, comes Brandon Browner. Here, ready for that proverbial breakout season, is Chandler Jones. Welcome back, Vince Wilfork. Is this the defense you’ve been waiting for?

If it is, then perhaps this interminable, embarrassing decade-long title drought is over (Try not to phrase it that way to your college roomie living in Cleveland). If not, hey, 12-4 is better than 4-12.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: in case you missed it

Interesting piece by Mr. Ryan.  Reasonable fans of the game can find fault here and disagree with a point there, that's what opinion pieces are about.  The one word I find fault with is the word 'embarrassing'.  Disappointing perhaps, but I've never been embarrassed with the Pats performance since BB took over management of the team with the possible 2010 playoff game performance against the Ravens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting piece by Mr. Ryan.  Reasonable fans of the game can find fault here and disagree with a point there, that's what opinion pieces are about.  The one word I find fault with is the word 'embarrassing'.  Disappointing perhaps, but I've never been embarrassed with the Pats performance since BB took over management of the team with the possible 2010 playoff game performance against the Ravens.

[/QUOTE]

ATJ, I would agree with you that disappointing or even frustrating would be more accurate but embarrassing…. okay here's my opinion Bob Ryan should be embarrassed that he put in print the last 10 Patriot seasons were embarrassing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Without getting into the whole spygate thing, I thought Ryan was spot on with some of the article...the defense, the mistakes, about us entering the post season as a quality opponent, rather than a serious contender. The serious contender part is something that most would argue, my feeling is this...despite our record last year I in no way thought we were a serious contender for the Super Bowl, we didn't get there and if we had we would of been embarrassed. The year prior I thought the cards fell in our favor in terms of match ups and home field advantage...I thought we'd get to the Super Bowl and lose to a better team in the 49ers...turns out Baltimore had different plans. The year before that I thought we were a long shot to beat the Giants in the Super Bowl...I didn't think it was impossible, but I figured it would be close and the better team would win...and that's what happened.

I can only think of two times in the past ten years that I thought we were "serious contenders" for the Super Bowl...07 and the year we lost to the Jets. I guess it depends on what you consider to be a "serious contender", I consider it to be a team that has a very good chance of not only getting there, but winning it. 

I think our never ending quest for value, return on investment, fiscal responsibility and business model, has put us out of the serious contender category too many times over the last decade. I realize that is debatable, but that's what I believe. And I also realize that the years I thought we were serious contenders we didn't win the Super Bowl anyway, but I can live with that. What I have a hard time with is watching us not generate a pass rush against a good team in the post season...or not be able to convert on short yardage...or watching us get punched in the mouth by a deeper team, while we walked into the season millions under the cap. That's what I don't like.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Bob Ryan, I have a question for you.

If you're "embarrassed" by the Patriots last ten years averaging more than 12 wins a year since they last won the Super Bowl (12.2 to be precise, or better than 75% of the games they've played), you must be mortified by the sheer ineptitude of the local basketball team? Without looking it up, I'm guessing they haven't won anything close to 75% of their games since they last won a championship.

For that matter, except for about a three or four year run, haven't they been truly embarrassing for the last 25 or so years?  One lousy championship in nearly 30 years!? Now, that's what I call embarrassing. In a watered down league. They've taken a great legacy and turned it into trash. 

Stick to that boring sport Bob. We don't need you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Clearly Kraft and Belichick have taken a page out of the Jacobs/Sinden playbook:  Be good enough to make the playoffs all the time and the fans can't complain.  Belichick's pitiful drafting, FA signings and trades have left a lot to be desired.  Brady is good enough to have many more rings.  It's tough for a QB to compete, however, when the GM drafts such losers year in and year out then ends up filling the roster with average players holding superstar contracts.

Whatever.  It's just sports, so it's not like it means anything in real life, but it's a lot more fun when you aren't looking at opportunities wasted because the GM sucks at his job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Clearly Kraft and Belichick have taken a page out of the Jacobs/Sinden playbook:  Be good enough to make the playoffs all the time and the fans can't complain.  Belichick's pitiful drafting, FA signings and trades have left a lot to be desired.  Brady is good enough to have many more rings.  It's tough for a QB to compete, however, when the GM drafts such losers year in and year out then ends up filling the roster with average players holding superstar contracts.

Whatever.  It's just sports, so it's not like it means anything in real life, but it's a lot more fun when you aren't looking at opportunities wasted because the GM sucks at his job.

[/QUOTE]

Of all the possible responses from potential posters in this thread this is, in my opinion and by far, the most predictable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm with ATJ, I'd say disappointing but not embarrassing in the least. I do find the last line comical in relation to this forum in particular. It reflects a lot of people around here "If not, hey, 12-4 is better than 4-12." It seems people are perfectly content with a 12-4 season because it's a winning season but a championship is icing not the goal in the end. That's fine and all but to me in the end we are the Patriots, the goal should be championships not just making the playoffs. To put it in perspective, if you made fun of the Colts in the early 00's for being a great regular season team but never getting it done, well oddly enough we have matched them almost win for win in the post season the last 6 years. The difference being they won in 06. So, if you made fun of the Colts in the early 00's how can you possibly be happy with the Pats right now?

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He did suggest BB was arrogant too. That will fan flames I bet

But, but I'm a good poster!

Remember Tyler Sash!  Rinngggg ringgggg

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I still think a super bowl winning team is most years the luckiest team in the league. A year like Chicago had and probably the Seahawks last year are the exceptions. Every week in the NFL there are big 'upsets' which points to the freakish nature of the game. And every week there are major injuries and lots of minor ones that alter the team that plays the next week. To be successful you have to be 'lucky' in the nature of, number, and specific players that get injured. And it isn't just not losing a 'pro bowl caliber' player for the season because for some of those players the team has a rising back-up who can play almost as effectively. And if the injured players are able to return and the team is able to get to the playoffs the post season team can be much stronger than the mid-season team (see Giants.)

The Pats have been very lucky a few times and very unlucky a number of other times, and just not good enough even more often. But there are 32 teams trying for a single prize and while 10 of those teams have been basket cases for most or all of the past 15 years, the other 22 have occasionally or frequently been serious contenders.

And then you have the Patriots who stand alone over that period as the most consistently good team even in the hunt the year their star QB goes down for the season in the first game. Do we want more SBs - sure, but a SB is a lll about the stars aligning just right and for ten years that hasn't quite happened. And we are not alone in that. But we are alone in supporting a team that wins every year, year after year, and makes the playoffs.

And what no one talks about much is the building of teams depends a lot on draft capital - and during that 15 years the Pats have had the worst draft capital of any team because even when they aren't real SB material, they still with those 12 games and pick in the 20s. That is a big penalty compared to teams like the Giants that win a Super Bowl and then miss the playoffs for a few years and then win another and again compete for a wild card. Or a team like the Colts that 's__k for Luck'.

BB isn't perfect - far from it. But I don't need him to apologize for his mistakes - he cuts them, isn't that pretty obviously admitting a mistake? But he does give me a team each year that has a chance even when devastated by major injuries like they were last year - a Championship game while losing three plus star players is pretty darned impressive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324" rel="nofollow">http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well he is, but so are all the greats

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bob Ryan, I have a question for you.

If you're "embarrassed" by the Patriots last ten years averaging more than 12 wins a year since they last won the Super Bowl (12.2 to be precise, or better than 75% of the games they've played), you must be mortified by the sheer ineptitude of the local basketball team? Without looking it up, I'm guessing they haven't won anything close to 75% of their games since they last won a championship.

For that matter, except for about a three or four year run, haven't they been truly embarrassing for the last 25 or so years?  One lousy championship in nearly 30 years!? Now, that's what I call embarrassing. In a watered down league. They've taken a great legacy and turned it into trash. 

Stick to that boring sport Bob. We don't need you.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, he's not talking about BB is he?  Wait, I guess he is, but not that BB.

So, what is it you find offensive enough to deflect and tell the author that he's (his opinion or question) is not wanted?  Seems rather harsh but as a member of group B, I've come to expect that.

I get it.  You're a group A guy.  There's nothing wrong with that and many might disagree, but I don't think anyone has ever told you that "you're opinion" was not needed.

Can you tell me what's wrong with this piece?

Isn't it accurate?

There is a division and no middle ground.  Fact!

The draft picks, Fa signings, especially in the secondary and B's have been disastrous.   There's plenty of evidence to support that and it lasted for the duration of the drought.

I don't see how that can be ignored, without blinders, as blinders are meant to block out distractions..

Hasn't the D been an on-going issue?  Haven't the receivers been, somewhat, lacking in talent, even compared to lessor teams.?  Hasn't the QB (team) been hindered by those peculiarities?  Why shouldn't people question if things wouldn't have worked out better if those things didn't exist?

The S-word, I agree was much to do about nothing as the infraction was way over blown......

But, he was warned and did interpret the memo "his way" and we did pay a price for arrogance.  Truth.

This isn't the first time you've heard any of this, it's been argued here daily, for years. 

As each year passes, there seems to be more "Questioning"  the master,  and converts of the "in BB we trust", if you may.

At some point, when the desired results are not achieved, it's warranted to start questioning, "why"????

Of course, if you're not unhappy, it's fine, but in the business world, I don't think any CEO is happy being a "Brides Maid". 

I don't think the goal is to win the AFC, every year.  Do you?  I think anybody that is honest about that would say, no.  I think BB and Kraft would also disagree although being a brides maid, does benefit them.

I just don't think it's the ultimate goal for them being viewed as a player in the game, rather than "the" player in the game.

As long as that's the case (for 10 years now), people are going to wonder why..

People have every right to question an inadequate defense or receivers who lead the Nfl in drops.

They ARE problems.  That's undeniable!

That's probably not going to change until the situation changes, one way or the other.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324" rel="nofollow">http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324" rel="nofollow">http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well he is, but so are all the greats

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

i don't blame him the way the press has treated him. My opinion is you can't win it unless you get to the playoffs first. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

On that draft capital issue - the Colts S--- for Luck draft value based on those charts was probably the equivalent of the Patriots next three drafts combined. Not that those charts are all that accurate and do not count for volume of picks, but a #1 overall is equal to about three or four #30 picks in the first and second rounds.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Same here.  I find it very arrogant to call being in 2 SBs in the last brady 8 seasons to be considered "embarrassing".

It is people like bob ryan, his ego and disingenuous coverage behind a keyboard who are embarrassing.

I also do not think bad luck is embarrassing.  Sb winning teams need that good luck and fortune.

All 3 of our sb winning teams had it, really in all 3 games:  rams arrogance, jon kasay and mcnabb puking.

In all 3 sb wins, the d blew leads time and again.

In each sb loss, the offense underperformed greatly as compared to their capabilities.  

3rd down stops at the end of a sb in a dome, in a flag happy goodell era, is not realistic.  Look at baltimore.  Kaepernick choked so a d that gave up 30plus is why they won?

Please.  Kaepernick choked.   Put any top 10 qb in that situation and the ravens lose the sb after allowing 30+ points.

You have got to score points in this league because your opponent will. We did not in both super bowl losses, obviously.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

This gets to the crux of the debate:  is the Pats' player-acquisition strategy great at keeping a team competitive year in and year out, but not great at producing a team that has enough exceptional players to have a strong chance of winning it all?  Is it better sometimes to sacrifice long term consistency for a short term peak (likely followed by a valley)?  I don't know the answer, but it's a heck of a question. 

In response to Ryan's question, "Are you happy"--I'd say "No . . . I'm ecstatic."  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324" rel="nofollow">http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324

[/QUOTE]

Bob ryan and his goofy lips should look in the mirror.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

I think the difference between this team and so many others is that in the "down" years the are still quality opponents, and in the "up" years they are real contenders. I think they were build to be contenders in 2007, 2008, 2012 and again in 2014. 2007 was the most obvious, but the core from that team was still there in 2008. If only Brady hadn't been injured...

Even making the SB in 2011, there were too many holes on the team. 2012 I thought they had a shot, and at least they should have been in the SB. That AFCCG was terribly disappointing.

This year I see them as serious contenders again (but then again, I say that every year before the season starts). They have the best D they've had in a decade, and a lot of diverse talent on O. Question marks on Oline, LB depth, maybe outside receiver. But with elite talent in so many spots. I'm thrilled.

Supra societatem nemo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to mia76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still think a super bowl winning team is most years the luckiest team in the league. A year like Chicago had and probably the Seahawks last year are the exceptions. Every week in the NFL there are big 'upsets' which points to the freakish nature of the game. And every week there are major injuries and lots of minor ones that alter the team that plays the next week. To be successful you have to be 'lucky' in the nature of, number, and specific players that get injured. And it isn't just not losing a 'pro bowl caliber' player for the season because for some of those players the team has a rising back-up who can play almost as effectively. And if the injured players are able to return and the team is able to get to the playoffs the post season team can be much stronger than the mid-season team (see Giants.)

The Pats have been very lucky a few times and very unlucky a number of other times, and just not good enough even more often. But there are 32 teams trying for a single prize and while 10 of those teams have been basket cases for most or all of the past 15 years, the other 22 have occasionally or frequently been serious contenders.

And then you have the Patriots who stand alone over that period as the most consistently good team even in the hunt the year their star QB goes down for the season in the first game. Do we want more SBs - sure, but a SB is a lll about the stars aligning just right and for ten years that hasn't quite happened. And we are not alone in that. But we are alone in supporting a team that wins every year, year after year, and makes the playoffs.

And what no one talks about much is the building of teams depends a lot on draft capital - and during that 15 years the Pats have had the worst draft capital of any team because even when they aren't real SB material, they still with those 12 games and pick in the 20s. That is a big penalty compared to teams like the Giants that win a Super Bowl and then miss the playoffs for a few years and then win another and again compete for a wild card. Or a team like the Colts that 's__k for Luck'.

BB isn't perfect - far from it. But I don't need him to apologize for his mistakes - he cuts them, isn't that pretty obviously admitting a mistake? But he does give me a team each year that has a chance even when devastated by major injuries like they were last year - a Championship game while losing three plus star players is pretty darned impressive.

[/QUOTE]

Well said!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Seriously guys???

Winning the Super Bowl is hard. No team has been in the mix as often as the Pats over the last decade. Yes they have not been the best team at every single position, but they have consistently been good enough to go all the way and but for some dumb luck by the Giants would have won 2 more titles. 

To say that BB has wasted time is to be a complete moron. Let me repeat again - NO team has been in the mix as often, and when we did get beat they were fights to the very end. Not the rollover the Broncos took last year. 

Before Spygate we almost won another title (let's face it the Bears weren't going to beat any team in the AFC that year). After Spygate we almost won 2 and were in the AFC championship twice more. Name me a team... ANY team who has even done that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Simply put, Bob Ryan is full of S.

The Patriots have been one of the best run franchises in the NFL during the BK - BB era.  He downplays the amount of joy and satisfaction watching this team from from September to January and exaggerates not winning the super bowl every year.    Yes he does say that 12 and 4 is better than 4 and 12 at the very end to cover his A.  But for the most part he wrote this in a provoking manner which I suppose is his job in an opinion piece.  I also wonder why he felt compelled to bring up S? 

He must have been hungover when he wrote this piece.   If anybody is an embarrassment it is him with his WC Fields nose on ESPN for all to see. 

But to be fair, it was an opinion piece and he can write what he wants.  However, I have the right to form my own opinion of him and that is he is a complete A  Hole. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

All the back seat GMs in the media are clearly yearning for a return to the days of Bobby Grier so their criticisms can actually stick.  I hope Kraft implodes Gillette too so we can go back to the good old days of sitting on aluminum benches.  We can laughably disagree with stuff that BB does that makes us scratch our heads, but I find it beyond ridiculous that the media and the fans have become so used to fielding a winner that a Super Bowl win is the only acceptable outcome.  The Patriots are victims of their own success based on what I read and hear in this town.   

Post Brady and BB I'm hoping we can replicate 80% of the success we've seen over the past decade plus. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

As I have said repeatedly in the RKarp started threads this offseason trying to bad mouth BB and Robert Kraft, I don't give a rats @ss how anyone in the media view them. The media is ALWAYS agenda driven to put out a product that will sell more papers, get more clicks on their website, or attract more viewers (or listeners for the radio shows) as this is how their product generates revenue dollars through advertising. That is their ONLY goal. The more controversial and adversarial the better. 'Hey, did you see Bob Ryans piece??'. No I didn't, and if it wasn't posted here, I would not have 'missed' it in the least...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Where to start, obviously it's disappointing to not win a SB every single season when you know you have the best coach/QB combo in the league. But Super Bowl's are hard to come by. People think we can find the talent and luck we had from 2001-2004 all over again in a snap.

Fact is, we should have 5 rings. If Asante makes the easy INT, or Tyree doesn't perform a miracle or Welker catches the pass we have 5 rings.

Can we just turn at look at any other great in this era?

Manning - one ring and 3 SB app.

Rodgers - one ring and only one SB app.

It's hard to do.

I mean people can be critical of the team I have no problem with that. Belichick certainly has made mistakes, like every other single GM has. His mistakes are fewer than most though which separates him from others.

I disagree with Mthurl when he says he didn't think we were serious contenders in 2011-2013. The only season I had legit doubts was 2009 after so many ups and downs in the regular season. Last season, we obviously weren't serious contenders because the equivalent of the black plague hit us. But we were contenders in 2011 and 2012 without a doubt.

Winning a super bowl is hard. have chances been blown through GM's decisions? maybe, but that's the fun in being part of it all. Yes I'll be pissed about it too, but idk its tough to complain that much when you see what the Patriots are doing compared to every other team in the league. No other team has started a dynasty. YEs some teams get hot and win a SB, cool. We've been very close to winning 5 and I think this team has a very legit chance at getting the 4th.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

All the back seat GMs in the media are clearly yearning for a return to the days of Bobby Grier so their criticisms can actually stick.  I hope Kraft implodes Gillette too so we can go back to the good old days of sitting on aluminum benches.  We can laughably disagree with stuff that BB does that makes us scratch our heads, but I find it beyond ridiculous that the media and the fans have become so used to fielding a winner that a Super Bowl win is the only acceptable outcome.  The Patriots are victims of their own success based on what I read and hear in this town.   

Post Brady and BB I'm hoping we can replicate 80% of the success we've seen over the past decade plus. 

Spot on!  I owned season tickets back in the early 70s and sat on those miserable aluminum benches when they were for the most part a 2 and 12 team (for those too young to remember, it was only a 14 Game Season back then.)  The team was so bad for so long that during one season we had more higher 1st round draft choices playing for the team then any other team.  All of these number ones didn't make any difference.  The Pats were an absolute laughing stock of the NFL back then.  I just don't understand some of the posters here.  Oh and BTW, I'm a Homer and proud to be one.  If anybody has a problem with that they can KMA.

I believe that if we polled most older fans along with most of the fans who came on board after the Pats began to be consistently successful, the results would be like night and day.