In Defense Of McCourty...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Defense Of McCourty...?

http://musketfire.com/2012/10/16/the-state-of-the-defensive-backfield-for-the-new-england-patriots/

McCourty getting lots of heat from fans...justified?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: In Defense Of McCourty...?

I've been saying that if the rest of our secondary played at DMC's level we'd be fine.  I think this article puts a few things in perspective.  I think part of our problem has been that we have been so weak at the other corner that the CS wants our safeties to help out more in coverage, but we've got guys like Chung who are better playing in the box.  If Dennard or someone can put it together on the other side we might be able to put our safeties in a better position to succeed.  We'll see how it goes as the season develops.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:

Of course you have been saying that.  That's why you are thought to be a complete joke.   Only in New England are all the best players found on the worst defense.

You're a dumbass.  I never said McCourty was the best of anything.  I don't think he's a top corner in this league, but if the rest of the secondary played as well as he does it would be good enough.  You don't need a top 5 secondary to win a SB when you have the offense and front 7 we have.  Your stupidity knows no bounds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont think it is coaching. I think it is lack of talent to the type of defense the Pats wish to play. I do think that McCourty and Wilson can be very good players in this system. Wilson needs experience, and that is going to result in some blown plays while he gets the experience.

Gregory is a 3rd or 4th S imo

Arrington is a 3rd or 4th CB imo

Ras is similar to Asante. He is going to gamble, jump routes and make plays. But he is also going to get beat on double moves and not hold the edge. He will be a mediocre open field tackler. It seems the Pats dont want that type of CB play in this defense.

Dennard is very short, and even in the best of coverage, he is not going to win a lot of 1 on 1 battles

Ebner is a rugby player

Moore shouldnt be on the team imo, I had prefered Ihedigbo

Chung is the wild card. So far he seems to have regressed from his rookie year. He looks like he is going to be a tweener. Not big enough to be a physical S, and not athletic enough to be a traffic cop back there.

I am a firm believer that if the drafted talent is lacking, that falls on BB

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

McCourty is the one guy I trust out there.  Hoping the rookies will develop into sound players, but right now McCourty is the only decent player we have in the secondary. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

McCourty is the one guy I trust out there.  Hoping the rookies will develop into sound players, but right now McCourty is the only decent player we have in the secondary. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I've been saying that if the rest of our secondary played at DMC's level we'd be fine.  I think this article puts a few things in perspective.  I think part of our problem has been that we have been so weak at the other corner that the CS wants our safeties to help out more in coverage, but we've got guys like Chung who are better playing in the box.  If Dennard or someone can put it together on the other side we might be able to put our safeties in a better position to succeed.  We'll see how it goes as the season develops."

...I've never seen a New England Patriots Safety, near Devin McCourty...think he wears some sorta "detracting" musk, which keeps them anywhere near him.  Hear'a "Revis Island?"  -Difference is, Revis DOES get the benefit of both exotic & far more multitudinous, Rex Ryan Front 7 blitz packages & upfront pressure...  Likewise, Revis DOES get over-the-top Safety help...not as much as some other Jets CBs, but a WHOLE helluva alot more than DMC.  We should start forwarding, "Isolation Chamber" into some DMC catch-phrase.

Here's how NE Fans think of Devin McCourty (EX.): On that last Seattle TD, there was actually (I sh#t you not) a respondent on here discussing How the blame should fall partly on NE's CB whom was beat, THEN a lot LESS blame on the NE Pats Safety at least making a play on the ball...THEN, the greatest aspect OF the blame on this final Seattle TD play, should lay squarely on the shoulders of 1, Devin McCourty (whom was just still catching up a few feet behind)...  Because...?  "He was just standing there..."  Q:  Why was he there at all, considering the fact that he was covering the topmost WR on the screen, who ended his route while the ball was in mid-air, @ the 5-7 yardline on the top sideline?  A: Because Devin McCourty jumped off of his man, like he regularly does more than any CB I know, simply to make that additional effort to at least ATTEMPT to do his best at all times, in order to get near enough to the inevitable ball's play-direction, simply for in the smallest chance, that even just 1 in 10 or even 20X, DMC actually CAN be in position to help out & make even ANY of the most minute plays on the ball and/or ball-carrier in order to help out his team, in any & every way possible...

^ This is the guy that we're throwing under the bus...(oftentimes within the same breath of lauding like a God, the ALL-Me, "Pay-Me", 20 Total Tackles a year, route jumping en route for 10 MASSIVE scr#w-ups for every 1 great play, A$ante Samuel).  GREAT...fanbase.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i guess its possible that he sucks less than arrington

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Here's how NE Fans think of Devin McCourty (EX.): On that last Seattle TD, there was actually (I sh#t you not) a respondent on here discussing How the blame should fall partly on NE's CB whom was beat, THEN a lot LESS blame on the NE Pats Safety at least making a play on the ball...THEN, the greatest aspect OF the blame on this final Seattle TD play, should lay squarely on the shoulders of 1, Devin McCourty (whom was just still catching up a few feet behind)...  Because...?  "He was just standing there...'"

"i guess its possible that he sucks less than arrington." ~redsoxfan

Were you that little fat kid, redsoxfan?

<fyi: the correct response can be found in "One crazy Summer", and begins as such: "No, noh, na-oh; But I used ta beat 'im up...">

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

McCourty's actually grading out really well this year. It may not look like it but a vast majority of his plays he's actually in good-great coverage but it's those couple of plays that he gives up big yards a game everybody points to. However, the more I look at those plays the more I'm realizing most of those plays were caused by either a perfect pass from opposing QB's or lack of help with over the top coverage. Don't forget NE plays a lot of S zone and a large number of plays McCourty has underneath coverage. If the S is out of position or late getting to the ball all you see is McCourty chasing behind. As such there are times he can't turn around and bumps into the WR for an easy PI call. With the right S help I doubt you'd even be hearing his name called (which is a good thing). Now Arrington on the other hand is just plain and simple being beat and beat bad, like a $5 fake drum at an Indians game. Seriously Arrington gets beat deep, on slants, on hooks, on posts, even with help over top Arrington is showing why he's not a starting caliber CB even though he'll be looking to get paid as one after this season

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

On the winning TD play, in Seattle, he had great coverage of the 20 yard line stripe. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

On the winning TD play, in Seattle, he had great coverage of the 20 yard line stripe. 

That was his responsibility to play the coverage as it was written. McCourty was to play the underneath and take away the sidelines (which he did). Wilsons job was to play over top and keep the play in front of him (which he didn't). Wilson blew that play not McCourty

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I just can't wrap my mind around BB designing and calling a play, in such a critical situstion knowing the tendencies of his DB's to give it up over the past 25 games, that if your correct Eng would basically allow for a WR to be single coverage with a Safety while the CB plays with himself at the 20. 

If that is the case then at the very least Kraft needs to fire the Defensive Coordinator since BB never would.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I just can't wrap my mind around BB designing and calling a play, in such a critical situstion knowing the tendencies of his DB's to give it up over the past 25 games, that if your correct Eng would basically allow for a WR to be single coverage with a Safety while the CB plays with himself at the 20. 

If that is the case then at the very least Kraft needs to fire the Defensive Coordinator since BB never would.

That's a cover 2 defense TCal. The point is that the CB's assignment are two fold:

1 - take away to outside lane forcing the WR inside. When you do this you can cheat both your S's in and essentially double cover both WR's on the edge using only 2 players with both S's covering overtop in the middle

2 - watch for the flat dump off and prevent the receiver from not only gaining a lot of yards but also getting to the sideline. We see this with Woodhead and use to with Faulk all the time. A simple flat out with all day to run because a LB can't cover the RB's speed and the CB chased a WR down the length of the field. The RB easily gains 15+ yards and gets to step out of bounds to stop the clock

By McCourty being were he was it forces the outside WR to either go inside and have to work double coverage with both S's or to take an odd angle to a dead spot just behind McCourty towards the sideline in which any pass would be coming directly over his head which he's have a very hard time trying to track it. If the QB decides to dump it off in the flat then McCourty is there to provide immediate pressure limiting the yards gained and could prevent the receiver from getting to the sideline to stop the clock. It also adds the risk that the QB doesn't see McCourty sitting back and McCourty could jump the route for an easy pick 6 if the QB lobs the ball in for the easy receipt (be surprised how often that happens).

That's how a cover 2 prevent is designed and setup and both McCourty and Dennard played it that way on their respective parts of the field. The S's jobs are to stay in their lanes and cheat to the inside but always keep the plays in front of them. They should only move to the sidelines if one of the WR's commits to the sideline and the DL can't get to the QB (it takes a long time for this type of play to develop). S's should never in any situation commit themselves to a direction before a WR does and never, ever move forward on an angle until the ball is in the air. Wilson did both leaving a gapping hole between him and Ebner breaking the cover 2

Sections
Shortcuts