In hindsight, this season was positive.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In hindsight, this season was positive.

We have 6 players left from the last Championship that we won... 2 of which (Koppen and Faulk) barely contributed. That dynasty ended when that core group of players left. Hate on BB all you want, but the fact that he has taken a completely different team to the Super Bowl speaks volumes about his coaching excellence. He hasn't won a super bowl since, but getting back to the big game is an achievement in itself. Obviously the true test for this team will be when Brady leaves...but thus far, in this regime, his program is working. The pats havent just been playoff contenders, but super bowl contenders for the past decade, with two very different rosters.

Id still take this situation over what 90% of the other teams have been going through

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: In hindsight, this season was positive.

In Response to In hindsight, this season was positive.:
    [QUOTE]We have 6 players left from the last Championship that we won... 2 of which (Koppen and Faulk) barely contributed. That dynasty ended when that core group of players left. Hate on BB all you want, but the fact that he has taken a completely different team to the Super Bowl speaks volumes about his coaching excellence. He hasn't won a super bowl since, but getting back to the big game is an achievement in itself. Obviously the true test for this team will be when Brady leaves...but thus far, in this regime, his program is working. The pats havent just been playoff contenders, but super bowl contenders for the past decade, with two very different rosters. Id still take this situation over what 90% of the other teams have been going through
    Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of what you said, as long as Brady is there it is not a completely different team. Whoopie, we went from being the early 90s Dallas Cowboys to the late 80s Denver Broncos. 

Over the past seven years (since the dynasty ended) the Patriots have 77 regular season wins, but are 0-2 in the Super Bowl. The Steelers have 74 wins and are 2-1 in the Super Bowl, and the Giants have 65 wins and are two an 2-0 in the Super Bowl. I think both of those teams could claim to be better over that stretch (I know I prefer Championships to regular season wins). Heck in the Colts are 1-1 in the Super Bowl in that stretch!

If you are talking about winning with different rosters, I think Joe Gibbs set the standard. 3-1 in the Super Bowl over a 10-year span with three different starting quarterbacks none of whom are going to the Hall of Fame like a Brady or Montana.

Honestly, I do not think we will ever know how good BB could be without Brady. I suspect they will hang them up around the same time. They will always be tied together like Walsh and Montana. We will never know how good one would have been without the other. 

Unless they get another title, Brady's career is Elway's in reverse. Elway couldn't win a Super Bowl on his own early, but got a defense and a running game at the end and got to titles. Belichick will be more like Don Shula. Won early and often, (an NFL Championship with the Colts pre-Super Bowl and two Super Bowls with the Dolphins), but he was 0-2 in the Super Bowl later in his career. I just hope that BB doesn't hang around for 10 years after the game has passed him by like Shula did.

Unrelated, did you realize that at 65, Tom Coughlin became the oldest coach to win a Super Bowl passing Dick Vermeil (63), Weeb Ewbank (61) and himself four years ago (61). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3841593. Show user_3841593's posts

it over they s#ck and i think we waste are time watching bone head plays and it over for this team thats the last SB they will make it to.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3841593. Show user_3841593's posts

oh and positive yes chear for another team these guys can't winn anything looks like we all know which area has the players to make  championships not NE. Kraft move this team out we dont need not championship teams here they will never make it back TB lost it a few years back as did BB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koot. Show Koot's posts

Totally agree.  The team pulled it together, was competitive every game and was fun to watch.  I can't complain about a team that has a chance every season.  It's hard when they win three Super Bowls in four season, the expectations get so high.  But, this is still one of the elite franchises in the NFL.

If this is enough to weed out some fans, I'd love to see what would happen if the Patriots had a decade like the Bills have had.  The fans who want to fire everyone after WINNING THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP just make all the other fans look stupid.  This isn't Madden 05... there's a reason no one goes undefeated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

nepats38,

Very poor trolling work.  Go away Jets fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I thought this season was a positive.  I think it reinforced a few things on both sides of the ball...some players stepped up made some plays, developed at different positions, etc.   I think there's some positives to take out of it.

Couple of things I hope they improve on:

- I hope the coaches rethink their pass-happy philosophy - it doesn't work well in the playoffs or against stout teams.  That would be a most welcome change come next season.
    - Continue to work on that defensive backfield.  It's still a mess, truth be told.
    - Work on getting of the field on third down...still an issue, see above.
    - Develop some WRs and use them!
    - See how a disruptive pass rusher (or four with the Giants) can really put some pressure on the other line?  We did better with the pass rush this year...but could improve a bit more...general rule for ever team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Uh, let's see.. one of only TWO teams to make it to the SB, the Pats may have lost, but, fans of 30 other cities wish they were one of us.  Granted, winning the SB is the ultimate prize and bragging rights for the fans of a team, but, you also can't beat being the fan of a team who is in the hunt so often.  I'd rather have that than be half way into a season and you feel it is already lost!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

From an outsiders perspective, I've got to agree with this post title. 

I can't imagine that most thought the pats would have been as good as they were.  The defense was significantly better than expected.  Yes they gave up yards, but even Belichick's great defenses frequently gave up yards (maybe not to the extent they did this year).  That they were middle of the pack in points and performed to that level in the playoffs demonstrates they were better than initially advertised or thought to be. 

In fact, in the playoffs, the pats d gave up fewer points on average than they did throughout the season.  Pretty good job by the defense. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: In hindsight, this season was positive.:
    [QUOTE]it over they s#ck and i think we waste are time watching bone head plays and it over for this team thats the last SB they will make it to.
    Posted by nepats38[/QUOTE]

F- on trolling skill. They got to the SB which is a great acomplishment obviously and again were just a few plays away. That's the only thing that really irkes me is Crazy eye Caldwell drop, Tyree catch, Welker Brady miss that's a potential 6 championships but it is what it is as they say. The team has the right character guys on it. They need to acquire a few game changing talents on both sides and they will be back. The only team in the AFC that really improved was Houston so I see another homefield advantage next year.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The Pats massively overachieved this season and gave us all true fans a great ride. Another great positive is that this should shed some of the bandwagon spoiled brat entitled fans who think sports is supposed to be their self-esteem buffet. 

Having said all that losing in the Super Bowl carries with it a particular sting and that's a reality. Hopefully the guys use it as motivation, the track record of how teams fare that lose the Super Bowl the prior year isn't good.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Ya-but, this New England Patriots team super over achieved most of the year. They pulled rabbits out of hats multiple times to win game. Tom made them look terrific when they really weren’t and they still won.

They are not anywhere near their prime and they still made it to the Super Bowl.  The best is yet to come for this young team.

Hopefully Tom and Bill stay around a few more years. If they do, the young tight ends will get better, the young backs they drafted last year will improve, making the offensive core a genuine force in the NFL.

The defense is two defensive back draft choices away from NFL top five for years to come.

This team will make a few more Super Bowl runs before it’s through. Lots to be happy about.      

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Hey nepats38,

I'd worry more about going back to school & learning english and how to actually communicate before trying to troll. My 7 year old writes better.

As to the thread at hand. Was the season a complete loss? No. But we play to win the championship, and we came up short. A solid season, that missed at the end.

Hard to complain too much about 5 superbowls in the last decade......I am trying to just enjoy the ride as the 80s & 90s were the price we paid to experience this run.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I'm not going to lie and say that loss wasn't hard to take, but at the same time we've got a lot of draft picks, not as many holes in our roster as 90% of the league and we still have the best quaterback in football. I'm still gonna be stoked no matter what. It's just gonna take me a little bit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

In Response to Re: In hindsight, this season was positive.:
    [QUOTE]oh and positive yes chear for another team these guys can't winn anything looks like we all know which area has the players to make  championships not NE. Kraft move this team out we dont need not championship teams here they will never make it back TB lost it a few years back as did BB.
    Posted by nepats38[/QUOTE]

Is this English?

Sections
Shortcuts