In perspective

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In perspective

At this time of year, I particularly enjoy reading articles on individual players such as today’s article by Alex Prewitt on Josh Barrett and Jeff Howe’s article on Spencer Larsen. Article’s such as these put a face on the individual player, and give insight into the player’s background and persona. It’s akin to meeting a new acquaintance albeit in absentia. But, nonetheless, it makes it so much easier to root for them to succeed.

The downside however comes with the knowledge that no matter how much work and effort and dedication was expended, some of these guys are going to have their dreams derailed when the ‘Turk’ comes around and tells them that "Coach wants to see you in his office and bring your playbook."

Naturally, I want to see Coach Belichick continue to select those 53 players that he feels can best help the Patriots to win. But, I still feel badly when some of those players who I’ve come to know via the individual profile-articles, and whom I’ve rooted for during training camp, don’t make the team and end up being ‘cut’.

As each name appears on the cut list, in my heart I bid them fond adieu and wish them well in their continuing journey. And as each day passes and the roster continues to be whittled down, it becomes increasingly more difficult. On the one hand, I want the best players on the squad but on the other hand, there are certain players who have become favorites because of who they are as a person.

Such is the nature of training camp, and knowing how these personal feelings could easily sway my objectivity, I cannot possibly imagine the strain and hurt that Coach Belichick must feel when he has to call certain players into his office and give them the news. But, he too must, "Do your job."

Of course, once the season begins, and ‘the’ 53 run out of the tunnel and onto the turf at Gillette, the wonderful young men who aspired to be there, that didn’t make it and got left behind are fast forgotten.

So if you have the good fortune to make it out to Gillette for one of the team practices, don’t be shy about offering a robust cheer of encouragement to all of the players, for to some this will be the extent of their NFL career memories.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: In perspective

In Response to Re: In perspective:
    Good thread.  It is a shame, but that's part of it.  This year, I see a lot of good players being cut from this team and hopefully they find good work elsewhere, preferably in the NFC. hehe You mention Barrett. It simply may be too late for him. He was too big last year, which made him look like an LB, too slow to play in space. Add in his injury issues since his rookie year and he looks like a guy who would only make it if there were injuries to the Safeties in camp. He, Brown and Ventrone look like guys outside looking in.  WIl Allen, whom I am not a big fan of, apparently, looks very good in camp and could also be used in a Safety role or as a reserve CB. Obviously, things change, but this is a nice problem to have.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

Why don't you like Allen?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Seems like safety is his best position yet, and let's hope so because injuries have plagued that position. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Classy thread, dustcover.  I've thought and felt some of the same things but never actually expressed them.  You've done so rather well.  Thanks for posting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

In Response to Re: In perspective:
    Classy thread, dustcover.  I've thought and felt some of the same things but never actually expressed them.  You've done so rather well.  Thanks for posting.
    Posted by ATJ

indeed.  well-written and classy

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I actually liked the Will Allen signing a lot.  I think he is overrated if you think he is anything more than a slot guy these days, but he has been excellent in that role including last year.

"According to Pro Football Focus, he was in the slot for 419 snaps last season (tops in the league) and he yielded 0.81 yards per coverage snap for 3rd best in the league. In addition, he allowed a catch once every 11.6 coverage snaps, a rate that was sixth best in the league."

Obviously at his age you worry about diminished physical skills (in addition to adapting to BB's schemes), but he would be a valuable addition to the secondary if he can play like he did last season.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts