indy #5 ,bengals #6 locked in... so ravens rest players and lay down in cinci. pats #3 regardless should rest players also

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: indy #5 ,bengals #6 locked in... so ravens rest players and lay down in cinci. pats #3 regardless should rest players also

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

You can still game plan to win the miami game... Just do it with different players. 

Dropping to 4th seed should be avoided so if Baltimore  wins early, I would play it out with full strength.

Why, 4th seed plays Indy. I'd rather deal with them again than Cinci's pass rush. 

agreed. 4th over 3rd but 2nd over 3rd. so he should be decidiing based on what happens in the early games AND what happens in the first quarter and a half in denver/kc if denver already went to town we begin manipuatling the game for the 4th seed. if the game is within 3 he should get up to the minuite updates. if its over 14 forgetaboudit. kc can only win if its a low scoring defense and run dominated game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: indy #5 ,bengals #6 locked in... so ravens rest players and lay down in cinci. pats #3 regardless should rest players also

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

Indy has zero to play for so they won't play at all.  That locks up #1 for Houston.

KC in Denver?  Denver locks up #2.

The Pats should play Mallett the entire game.  If he plays really well his stock may rise like Matt Flynn in week 17 last year.

Agree about Houston game...  Indy should be coy and not show Houston much, since this will assure a rematch in 2nd round where Indy would be at advantage as underdog with a little something up their sleeve.   

If ravens play it safe and lose in Cincinnati then I agree with mallet going the whole game.   resting players will pay off more likely than wishing broncos to lose.

i dotn see baltimore who has been playing awful for weeks and with ahrbugh as coaching, laying down. 'ditto with pagano returning , a young team, etc. if indy plays to win they will be better in teh playoffs period (lest luck gets hurt). i think they both play to win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:

This thread is funnier than Babe explaining away a Brady 3 INT game.

it's been said that the Pats NOT having a first round bye isn't important, and recent SB winners have won having had to play on wild card weekend. Yet, these same fplks want to sit down critical Pats to prep for the playoffs, to be as healthy as possible.  Seems tpo me that if I want a healthy team, I'd want a week when no one plays. Sort of like a "bye".

Play 'em all, all out Sunday. After yesterday's stinker, both sides of the ball badly needs the work. Games like yesterday guarantee an early golf vacation. I'd rather see a nicked up team that is on their5 game than a fully rested debacle. 

thats one strategy. another is use the eek as a bye and get the injured players healed up.

all 3 strategys (above 2) and playing according to who wins, have good points

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I say play to win. Get momentum for the playoffs. Get a good lead and pull Brady if they want but none of that 2009 crap where they put him in after the back ups blew the lead. Peyton Manning has traditionally struggled with a bye so no reason to panic about it. The Pats beat Denver once allready and the game did not feel nearly as close as the final score. Trust me Denver is petrified of the Pats in the second round. It will be tough to beat them but the Pats played tougher play off schedules than this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Even if the Texans win, I say you still start Brady with an eye on the Broncos game. If that game gets out of hand you can rest guys. 

If the Texans lose, you need to go for the bye. The worst case scenario is that either the Broncos or Texans (or both lose) and the Patriots play starters the whole game getting beaten up and still fail to win, but I think that is highly unlikely.

"Even if the Texans win, I say you still start Brady with an eye on the Broncos game. If that game gets out of hand you can rest guys. "

i am on this plan

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Let us not forget the Patriots did not exactly blow out the Dolphins last time they played. The Dolphins may be playing for pride and beating a Patriots team that has a shot at a bye is going to be the closing thing they have to a playoff game. 

The Patriots have to play a lot better than they did versus the Jaguars in order to beat the Dolphins. We need to stop talking like if the Patriots want to win they can just turn it on and walk all over Miami.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Let us not forget the Patriots did not exactly blow out the Dolphins last time they played. The Dolphins may be playing for pride and beating a Patriots team that has a shot at a bye is going to be the closing thing they have to a playoff game. 

The Patriots have to play a lot better than they did versus the Jaguars in order to beat the Dolphins. We need to stop talking like if the Patriots want to win they can just turn it on and walk all over Miami.

I don't expect a blow out or anything but New England has traditionally been a tough road game for Miami. Even with Marino it was tough for them winning in the cold. September games in New England are diferrent than december ones. I never thought yesterday would be easy since Henne has given the Pats fits before. I didn't think the Pats offense would struggle like it did though. Maybe Al Michaels was right about the pace of the 49ers game. Both the Pats and 49ers looked flat yesterday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

4th seed means if Baltimore gets through to title game it would be in balt instead of NE....  this is possible since ravens are more playoff tested than Houston and could knock them off.  So stay ahead in the seedings.

cinci is better in 1st round since Dalton hasn't faced NE D this year and should have problems.  Indy is a scary team of "destiny " . I'd rather face them after they upset somebody else...

only way to push everybody hard is if Baltimore wins IMO or TEXANS LOSE.  So game plan A is business as usual,  plan B , pull those guys and beat Miami with B team.   lets face it mallett needs more reps.  Get him some work .

worst scenario IMO... would be if balt loses, texans win , pats go all out to beat dolphins and it means nothing when Peyton scratches out a victory at home.  

That raises another question whether Denver does its own strategy to rest players, but not likely until game is in hand. 

You put way too much thought into this. Just play the game against Miami and then beat whoever shows up the following week, Cinci or Indy.  Let's not overcomplicate it.

Agree about over thinking about hypothetical circumstances... Lol...  Guilty... Haha.  Hey don't gloss over it entirely, there are some good comments in there.

One comment that only azpat spoke about is whether it might be better for this team to play the wildcard weekend because of continuity and the "partial bye week of playing a game with selected players resting against Miami...  there are advantages to playing every week, as jints and packers have proven.

#3 seed might be best position strategically.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

rest the injured (talib, dennard, mankins, etc). play to win. if balt lose, hou  wins and kc is gertting blown out at half, pull the starters at half. otherwise win the damn game

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

I don't expect a blow out or anything but New England has traditionally been a tough road game for Miami. Even with Marino it was tough for them winning in the cold. September games in New England are diferrent than december ones. I never thought yesterday would be easy since Henne has given the Pats fits before. I didn't think the Pats offense would struggle like it did though. Maybe Al Michaels was right about the pace of the 49ers game. Both the Pats and 49ers looked flat yesterday.

I don't disagree on the whole, but last year the Dolphins came up here in December and went up 17-0 to start the game then only lost by a field goal. That was a Dolphins team that was worse than this year's team. 

I am trying to calm down people who think just because the Broncos or Texans lose, the bye is the Patriots if they want it. This Miami team is capable of beating the Patriots if the Patriots do not bring their A-game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My Power Ratings:

1.  Seattle 13.9

2.  New England  12.9

3.  Denver 12.4

. . .

11.  Cincinnati 9.3

12.  Houston 9.1

15.  Baltimore 8.9

22.  Indianapolis 6.3

My purely formulaic ratings and rankings aren't designed to slam any team, but not everybody can be in the front of the pack.  In this case, the AFC has two legitimate contenders for the Super Bowl and three Radio Shack look and feel pretenders outside of the NFL's top ten.  The absolute pits is Indianapolis, a team in a weak division and playing a fourth place schedule. 

If you can be the #4 team and play Indianapolis, then Houston, by all means do so!  If you have to be the #3 team and play #11 Cincy at home and then Denver at Denver, my sympathies. 

If Houston blows it against Indy then New England can possibly advance to the #2 slot.  Then New England gets a bye week and somebody not named Denver comes to Foxboro.  That's the way to go, if it's possible.  So, New England has every reason to threaten to win, UNLESS Houston is way ahead in the fourth quarter and Baltimore is way ahead in the fourth quarter (these three are all 1:00 games).  At that precise point, Bill Belichick will have a moral dilemma.  Should he deliberately lose, risk the ire of the commish and take the good #4 seed, or should he win and hope against hope for a Kansas City Christmas miracle?

My line on the Kansas City @ Denver game is now 17.3 points.  Peyton Manning would have to come down with food poisoning for this game to be close. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

My Power Ratings:

1.  Seattle 13.9

2.  New England  12.9

3.  Denver 12.4

. . .

11.  Cincinnati 9.3

12.  Houston 9.1

15.  Baltimore 8.9

22.  Indianapolis 6.3

My purely formulaic ratings and rankings aren't designed to slam any team, but not everybody can be in the front of the pack.  In this case, the AFC has two legitimate contenders for the Super Bowl and three Radio Shack look and feel pretenders outside of the NFL's top ten.  The absolute pits is Indianapolis, a team in a weak division and playing a fourth place schedule. 

If you can be the #4 team and play Indianapolis, then Houston, by all means do so!  If you have to be the #3 team and play #11 Cincy at home and then Denver at Denver, my sympathies. 

If Houston blows it against Indy then New England can possibly advance to the #2 slot.  Then New England gets a bye week and somebody not named Denver comes to Foxboro.  That's the way to go, if it's possible.  So, New England has every reason to threaten to win, UNLESS Houston is way ahead in the fourth quarter and Baltimore is way ahead in the fourth quarter (these three are all 1:00 games).  At that precise point, Bill Belichick will have a moral dilemma.  Should he deliberately lose, risk the ire of the commish and take the good #4 seed, or should he win and hope against hope for a Kansas City Christmas miracle?

My line on the Kansas City @ Denver game is now 17.3 points.  Peyton Manning would have to come down with food poisoning for this game to be close. 

If I agreed with your rankings I would agree with your post. I believe the Texans are a lot better than the Bengals and i think the Ravens are better than the Bengals also. Don't forget the Bengals played a 3rd place schedule this year compared to the Texans and Ravens first place schedules. I for one was very impressed by the Ravens yesterday. I thought they would lose because the Giants are so up and down I expected a major up performance with their backs against the wall.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

My Power Ratings:

1.  Seattle 13.9

2.  New England  12.9

3.  Denver 12.4

. . .

11.  Cincinnati 9.3

12.  Houston 9.1

15.  Baltimore 8.9

22.  Indianapolis 6.3

as i said. rerst teh injured play to win.

if balt lose and hou wins adn kc is gettign blown up in the fiorst qtr you pull everyone. f teh commish. he aint gonna pull a team from the playoffs.

play for the 2.

if thats gone id play for the 4

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

they will play it like any other game. houston could lose and put the patriots up to the two seed should they win. the first round game against the Bengals will not be as easy as some here think. they have a good defense, the type of defense that has given brady and this offense trouble in the past,  plus the bengals will come into the game fired up. the Patriots will have to match their intensity and not come out flat again or it will be a quick post season. I'm not predicting a bengal win by any means, just saying that the Patriots can't take them lightly or they will lose.

Sections
Shortcuts