Indy so far...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Indy so far...

In Response to Re: Indy so far...:
    Dude, I didn't call it a Belgian wheat style. I called it high alcohol content beer similar to Belgians (think Allagash) or French beers.   Dude, please learn to read.  Jesus. Believe it or not I know what I am talking about here.  lol
    Posted by RustyGriswold

gotcha.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Can't say I recognize it.  Any particular style that is better than another?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In Response to Re: Indy so far... : Bynums is fine.  Kind of a local workingman's steakhouse in a blue collar area just south of downtown.  Its not St. Elmos or anyone of the prime steakhouses (Mortons, Ruths Chris, etc.) although I'll bet they'll have prime on their menu this week.  I am sure you'll like it just fine.  Glad you are hitting a local establishment in the face of all of the prime steakhouses.  Have not been to the wild beaver although you just can't miss it down there.  As I have aged, my bar days have dwindled.  Kilroys is a bar of local lore out of Bloomington (home of IU), who has opened in Indy in the past few years.  I would imagine that most bars will have the same feeling this week.  they'll be packed to the gills.  One good thing about the wild beaver is that it is very close to the concert stage at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. 
    Posted by UD6

Thank you UD6.

I am coming into to town on Friday night with my brother. We will be dropping lots of green backs on the local establishments as I am a small business owner myself.

I have a paking pass for Sunday ($60) should I worry about Friday night and Saturday. We are good with walking a few blocks. The weather looks great and we are in good shape.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Sun King's pretty good UD.  Agree.  I had Flat 12 IPA last night, which is a local fare.  That was okay.  Never have had it. Not that you're asking me, but Wild Beaver blows I think.  Good call on Bynum's.  Lotta people just go to St. Elmo's b/c it has that name recognition, but it's not the best steakhouse in town.  They have the best bloody mary's though, if you're into a little Hair of the Dog. Go Patriots!
    Posted by buttgrundle

buttgrundle - thanks for the info. Why does it blow? I know the their website blows!
    I had a good friend give me the heads up on Bynum's. The online reviews stink - but I am going on my friends recomendation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttgrundle. Show buttgrundle's posts

Eh, it's a younger 20s type bar, like a lotta stuff in downtown Indy, and even thouogh I'm not much older than the younger 20s crowd,  I'm not much of a loud music, not-all-that-good-looking bartenders expecting massive tips so I can listen to terrible music until I get a headache type of guy.  I'd rather sit and drink myself stupid at a table with buddies and watch sports.  If you can't find that, heck, the Red Garter's close.

Ike and Jonesy's isn't bad.  Chumley's up in Broad Ripple isn't that bad.  Lotta stuff on tap. 

UD...have you had that Hoosier Momma bloody mary mix?  Stuff's good.  Real good.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Indy so far... : Thank you UD6. I am coming into to town on Friday night with my brother. We will be dropping lots of green backs on the local establishments as I am a small business owner myself. I have a paking pass for Sunday ($60) should I worry about Friday night and Saturday. We are good with walking a few blocks. The weather looks great and we are in good shape.
    Posted by thehub

Parking will be tough, but you should find something within a few blocks of everything.  I really hope you enjoy your time here.  I hope Indy puts on a good show for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Eh, it's a younger 20s type bar, like a lotta stuff in downtown Indy, and even thouogh I'm not much older than the younger 20s crowd,  I'm not much of a loud music, not-all-that-good-looking bartenders expecting massive tips so I can listen to terrible music until I get a headache type of guy.  I'd rather sit and drink myself stupid at a table with buddies and watch sports.  If you can't find that, heck, the Red Garter's close. Ike and Jonesy's isn't bad.  Chumley's up in Broad Ripple isn't that bad.  Lotta stuff on tap.  UD...have you had that Hoosier Momma bloody mary mix?  Stuff's good.  Real good.
    Posted by buttgrundle

Hoosier Mama's been a nice story around here.  Hardest thing about being a town like Indy with Chicago 3hrs north, Cincy 2 hrs southeast, Lvill 2hrs south, St Louis 4 hrs west, columbus 3 hrs east is that aside from Chicago and maybe StL, its hard to keep talent in Indiana when the coasts and larger cities beckon. 
    So even small stories like hoosier mama are well received.  good stuff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Eh, it's a younger 20s type bar, like a lotta stuff in downtown Indy, and even thouogh I'm not much older than the younger 20s crowd,  I'm not much of a loud music, not-all-that-good-looking bartenders expecting massive tips so I can listen to terrible music until I get a headache type of guy.  I'd rather sit and drink myself stupid at a table with buddies and watch sports.  If you can't find that, heck, the Red Garter's close. Ike and Jonesy's isn't bad.  Chumley's up in Broad Ripple isn't that bad.  Lotta stuff on tap.  UD...have you had that Hoosier Momma bloody mary mix?  Stuff's good.  Real good.
    Posted by buttgrundle

Good info - I am with you. No need to over pay for avergae looking waitress and drinks I can get elsewere.

Broad Ripple is getting sokme good comments (Rusty) so I think we will check it out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I would just stay out downtown almost all together and stick to the arts district or broad ripple. Cheaper, more room, etc. Sat night, maybe stop in to the clubs if you are single, etc, but you're just going to end up struggling to get drinks and be annoyed by hangers on wanting to be a part of the party. It's not like Bourbon Street where that's where the action is and there are plenty of ways to get drinks, etc. No offense to Undies,  but I can't imagine it being that incredible in the roped off sections. ALl I can think of is pre game at Fenway on Yawkey Way. It's fine, but it's really a trendy tourist trap.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Russ - its a valid point, but at least for this party, I think you'd be surprised at everything being done to make sure there are places to get drinks.  Along Georgia street (SB village there are probably more than a dozen (if not significantly more by the weekend) vendors selling beers.  restaurants are even creating makeshift bars to accomodate. 

Further, open containers are being allowed so no problem having drinks regardless of where you are.  Indy's got a pretty good idea of the crush of people who will be here or already are here and the bar has been raised significantly to accomodate the visitors. 

There is no "naptown" feeling downtown.  They are geared up and ready to serve. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Indy so far... : Good info - I am with you. No need to over pay for avergae looking waitress and drinks I can get elsewere. Broad Ripple is getting sokme good comments (Rusty) so I think we will check it out.
    Posted by thehub

About 6 miles straight north of downtown. 

If you want some real indy flavor, I'd recommend Conners Pub.  Ownership has changed so its lost some of its feel.  You really aren't welcome there before 1 AM and its not a good idea to go there sober. 

That said, you might catch some sh*t there, so maybe you wouldn't want to go.  Its the local rugby bar off the main drag, and across the canal.  And yes the canal I mention is the canal that the colts punter made national news for choosing to swim in at 3 AM one summer morning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ruckus93. Show Ruckus93's posts

Can't wait to get there.  My brother and I are flying in out of Los Angeles later this week.  We moved to California in '78 but our dad instilled our love of the Patriots at a very young age.  I wish he was still alive so he could enjoy this moment with us.  Go Pats!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttgrundle. Show buttgrundle's posts

In Response to Re: Indy so far... : Hoosier Mama's been a nice story around here.  Hardest thing about being a town like Indy with Chicago 3hrs north, Cincy 2 hrs southeast, Lvill 2hrs south, St Louis 4 hrs west, columbus 3 hrs east is that aside from Chicago and maybe StL, its hard to keep talent in Indiana when the coasts and larger cities beckon.  So even small stories like hoosier mama are well received.  good stuff.
    Posted by UD6

The stuffs good.  Got a chance to sit down with one of the owners and took a jar of the spicy mix to task that weekend.

Broad Ripple's got better old school style bars, and some of that younger crowd jazz. I know the Dolts punter is hosting a party at a place called "The Vogue." Broad Ripple's a mixed bag though. You walk a block or two the wrong way, you can get yourself in some poopie.

Honestly, there's almost too much to do downtown.  It's fantastic. I wouldn't see a need to go out elsewhere. I haven't been to Broad Ripple in a few years, but if the Old Pro's Table is still up there, the juice is worth the squeeze to drink there too.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Indy so far... : The stuffs good.  Got a chance to sit down with one of the owners and took a jar of the spicy mix to task that weekend. Broad Ripple's got better old school style bars, and some of that younger crowd jazz. I know the Dolts punter is hosting a party at a place called "The Vogue." Broad Ripple's a mixed bag though. You walk a block or two the wrong way, you can get yourself in some poopie. Honestly, there's almost too much to do downtown.  It's fantastic. I wouldn't see a need to go out elsewhere. I haven't been to Broad Ripple in a few years, but if the Old Pro's Table is still up there, the juice is worth the squeeze to drink there too.
    Posted by buttgrundle

OPT's still there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

I've read this post from start to finish...twice. Its great! Keep up the great job UD6/Gris/butt..etc. Very, very cool insight. My body is in Eastern Maine but my mind is in downtown Indy. I can smell the food, taste the beer, hear the crowds, see the ladies and feel the excitement!  Good stuff guys.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Arrived in Indy Sunday afternoon. Weather is fantastic. Other places:
    Massachusetts Ave district is downtown and has a bunch of great bars and restaurants. Old Point Tavern is a classic dive, Rathskeller is a huge German restaurant and bar. Front Page sports bar and Chatham Tap are good.  Sun King Brewery has bands and beer tastings for cheap prices.  There are also sushi restaurants and locally owned joints. These places are within walking distance of Super Bowl village but far enough away the waits wont be so long.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/40/3910/Indianapolis/Massachusetts-Avenue-restaurants

Everyone have fun.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Broadripple is worth the trip and will have great nightlife.  Its a safe area and close to Butler University. Parking is cheap and is probably less than a $25 cab from downtown. Tons of bars and good restaurants all withing walking distance from each other.  Go see Bobby Plump (Jimmy Chitwood) at Plumps Last Shot from the movie Hoosiers.  A place called Bazbeaux pizza is outstanding.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/40/3901/Indianapolis/Broad-Ripple-restaurants

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

If you're downtown make it a point to visit the Slippery Noodle. Blues and Jazz bar thats off the charts rowdy. 

http://www.slipperynoodle.com/

Buddy Guy is playing Saturday night for about $1000 a ticket. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

If you look closely, you'll see the Giants car is lined up offside.  Definitely worth a challenge, with the penalty enforced on the opening kickoff.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I've read this post from start to finish...twice. Its great! Keep up the great job UD6/Gris/butt..etc. Very, very cool insight. My body is in Eastern Maine but my mind is in downtown Indy. I can smell the food, taste the beer, hear the crowds, see the ladies and feel the excitement!  Good stuff guys.
    Posted by Gravelten4

come one.  come all!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Arrived in Indy Sunday afternoon. Weather is fantastic. Other places: Massachusetts Ave district is downtown and has a bunch of great bars and restaurants. Old Point Tavern is a classic dive, Rathskeller is a huge German restaurant and bar. Front Page sports bar and Chatham Tap are good.  Sun King Brewery has bands and beer tastings for cheap prices.  There are also sushi restaurants and locally owned joints. These places are within walking distance of Super Bowl village but far enough away the waits wont be so long.    http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/40/3910/Indianapolis/Massachusetts-Avenue-restaurants Everyone have fun.
    Posted by MarcW1

glad you checked out mass ave.  try a bazbeaux pizza.  you wont be disappointed.  nice thing about mass ave is it just might be far enough away (6-10 blocks northeast of the festivities) for a bar  (i'd expect the restaurants to still have crowds) to have some space.  

Hope we have been hospitable Marc.  Enjoy.

Sections
Shortcuts