Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year!

torn acl in practice! how big of a deal is this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/05/colts-lose-starting-cornerback-jackson-for-season/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year!

In Response to Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year!:
    [QUOTE]torn acl in practice! how big of a deal is this?
    Posted by Patsfan24-7[/QUOTE]

Not as big because Bob Sanders is back playing one half of their Tampa-2 defense.  Losing Jackson AND Hagler at the same time, though, might snowball and make it that much more difficult for them to adjust quickly (although I have no doubt that they will at some point adjust and acclimate).

I see the Texans trying to get Andre Johnson lined up on whoever replaces Jackson and seeing if they can get clean releases at the line of scrimmage against a lesser player.  I see at least one or two play-action or double move plays to see if the new corner bites and also to freeze the safeties for an extra second so Johnson can get behind them.

I also see the Texans trying to get Owen Daniels matched up against whoever replaces Hagler at linebacker.

It should be interesting - especially because I think the Texans' offense is somewhat similar in personnel to the Patriots' (sans Wes Welker)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Re: Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year! : Not as big because Bob Sanders is back playing one half of their Tampa-2 defense.  Losing Jackson AND Hagler at the same time, though, might snowball and make it that much more difficult for them to adjust quickly (although I have no doubt that they will at some point adjust and acclimate). I see the Texans trying to get Andre Johnson lined up on whoever replaces Jackson and seeing if they can get clean releases at the line of scrimmage against a lesser player.  I see at least one or two play-action or double move plays to see if the new corner bites and also to freeze the safeties for an extra second so Johnson can get behind them. I also see the Texans trying to get Owen Daniels matched up against whoever replaces Hagler at linebacker. It should be interesting - especially because I think the Texans' offense is somewhat similar in personnel to the Patriots' (sans Wes Welker)
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Sorry dude but Owen Daniels is out for the season too.Torn ACL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year! : Not as big because Bob Sanders is back playing one half of their Tampa-2 defense.  Losing Jackson AND Hagler at the same time, though, might snowball and make it that much more difficult for them to adjust quickly (although I have no doubt that they will at some point adjust and acclimate). I see the Texans trying to get Andre Johnson lined up on whoever replaces Jackson and seeing if they can get clean releases at the line of scrimmage against a lesser player.  I see at least one or two play-action or double move plays to see if the new corner bites and also to freeze the safeties for an extra second so Johnson can get behind them. I also see the Texans trying to get Owen Daniels matched up against whoever replaces Hagler at linebacker. It should be interesting - especially because I think the Texans' offense is somewhat similar in personnel to the Patriots' (sans Wes Welker)

bob sanders did come back from an injury, but he got hurt again and missed practice this week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year! : Sorry dude but Owen Daniels is out for the season too.Torn ACL.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

There goes their matchup advantage.

I liked the Texans' chances with an over-under game using Johnson and Daniels, but if that's not there then I'm not sure the Texans can hang with the Colts unless Slaton and Mario Williams have big days.

I still see them trying to get Johnson matched up on the newb, though

And @Patriots-24-7, not that I cheer for injuries because I definitely don't, but I think at his size Bob Sanders is always an injury risk, although I think it would take something more severe than a wrist problem to take him out of the game

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yay, some guy who entertains us has suffered severe bodily injury!  Hooray!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]Yay, some guy who entertains us has suffered severe bodily injury!  Hooray!
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

The nagging injuries that keep players from actually performing in their primes are nice . . .

but it's the long-term brain damage that I really get excited about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

This is a bigger loss than what somen people think, especially going along with the fact that Hagler is done for the year.  If Bob Sanders gets any type of injury that keeps him out for any length of time the rest of this year then they're going to be hurting really bad.  I think Brady/Belichick will take advantage of it though and try to exploit that side of the field. 

Hate to see anyone go down with something like that tho.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

This is bad news BUT...Jackson was coming off of a season ending injury from last year.  This year he could never really crack the starting line up at his old CB spot.  What he was doing was playing the starting nickel role, which was stellar, because having Marlin Jackson as your nickel says alot about your secondary. 

That said, Hayden has also been out this year as well as Sanders.  This just indicates that Indy may have the deepest/most quality secondary in the league but...Hayden still has been suffering nagging injuries, Sanders was back for one week and is suffering from something else (at least thats what the injury report said yesterday). 

That said, Powers (rookie 3rd rounder) has started and played incredibly well in the absence of Jackson at CB, and Lacey (rookie udfa) have played very well all year in their absence.  The issue is that this takes a hit at our depth, especially if Hayden and Sanders are not ready to go. 

Finally, Sanders has nothing to do with these guys.  He's a safety.  But with Hagler out, that evens things with Daniel out.

Don't like the way the colts are getting more injured.  They've dealt with enough issues on D this year

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year! : There goes their matchup advantage. I liked the Texans' chances with an over-under game using Johnson and Daniels, but if that's not there then I'm not sure the Texans can hang with the Colts unless Slaton and Mario Williams have big days. I still see them trying to get Johnson matched up on the newb, though And @Patriots-24-7, not that I cheer for injuries because I definitely don't, but I think at his size Bob Sanders is always an injury risk, although I think it would take something more severe than a wrist problem to take him out of the game
    Nick, if you are going to comment on other teams, you should know what is going on with them.  Daniels was listed as out Mon.  Slaton has been ineffective all year.  So much so that after he fumbled in the 1st last week they replaced him with Moats who ran all over Buaffalo.  If Slaton sees game time it will be to spell Moats. Not vice versa.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]This is bad news BUT...Jackson was coming off of a season ending injury from last year.  This year he could never really crack the starting line up at his old CB spot.  What he was doing was playing the starting nickel role, which was stellar, because having Marlin Jackson as your nickel says alot about your secondary.  That said, Hayden has also been out this year as well as Sanders.  This just indicates that Indy may have the deepest/most quality secondary in the league but...Hayden still has been suffering nagging injuries, Sanders was back for one week and is suffering from something else (at least thats what the injury report said yesterday).  That said, Powers (rookie 3rd rounder) has started and played incredibly well in the absence of Jackson at CB, and Lacey (rookie udfa) have played very well all year in their absence.  The issue is that this takes a hit at our depth, especially if Hayden and Sanders are not ready to go.  Finally, Sanders has nothing to do with these guys.  He's a safety.  But with Hagler out, that evens things with Daniel out. Don't like the way the colts are getting more injured.  They've dealt with enough issues on D this year
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

There's a lot of front line guys not practicing this week. I'm not sure what the extent of the injuries are but this has to be a little scary with this Jekyl and Hyde team coming. They have an awesome passing attack if they're hitting.

Good luck this week and I don't mean that derogatory

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

[QUOTE]This is bad news BUT...Jackson was coming off of a season ending injury from last year.  This year he could never really crack the starting line up at his old CB spot.  What he was doing was playing the starting nickel role, which was stellar, because having Marlin Jackson as your nickel says alot about your secondary.  That said, Hayden has also been out this year as well as Sanders.  This just indicates that Indy may have the deepest/most quality secondary in the league but...Hayden still has been suffering nagging injuries, Sanders was back for one week and is suffering from something else (at least thats what the injury report said yesterday).  That said, Powers (rookie 3rd rounder) has started and played incredibly well in the absence of Jackson at CB, and Lacey (rookie udfa) have played very well all year in their absence.  The issue is that this takes a hit at our depth, especially if Hayden and Sanders are not ready to go.  Finally, Sanders has nothing to do with these guys.  He's a safety.  But with Hagler out, that evens things with Daniel out. Don't like the way the colts are getting more injured.  They've dealt with enough issues on D this year

Well, not to be starting anything, but... By your reasoning, then the Pats would have an incredibly deep secondary since we've had 3 different starters at Safety this year and 4 different starters at CB this year.  But that's not the reality of how it is and I don't believe that's how it is for the Colts either. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Sam - Hayden and Jackson have been at half speed all year. 

Hayden has started only 3 games this year and didn't play at all in 3 others.  Jackson had not started in a game this year but was the primary nickel in a few.  The good news is the rookie corners have gained valuable experience this year and have played well.  The bad news is the depth is dwindling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Colts defense is a myth. Although they have played very well so far this season, the Colts defense is non-existent. I fully expect Matt Schaub to pick that defense apart.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year! : Well, not to be starting anything, but... By your reasoning, then the Pats would have an incredibly deep secondary since we've had 3 different starters at Safety this year and 4 different starters at CB this year.  But that's not the reality of how it is and I don't believe that's how it is for the Colts either. 
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]
    Except that your reasoning is poor.  I am sure you will correct me where I am wrong. 

NE
    2007 Primary starters
    CB - Hobbs; Samuel - neither is on the team today
    SS - HGHarrison - no longer on the team
    FS - Sanders
    2008 Primary starters
    CB - Hobbs, O'neal - No longer on the team
    SS - Merriweather - (hgharrison out with injury)
    FS - Sanders
    2009 - As you noted - all over the place. 

The facts are that the pats are trying to figure out their secondary which is why they brought in so many veterans.  The only constant was Merriweather because Sanders apparently isn't the answer.  The colts on the other hand have had the same 4 primary starters since 2007 - Jackson, Hayden, Sanders, Bethea. 

The issue is that Jackson has been slow to recover from his season ending 2008 knee injury and is now gone for the year.  Hayden is near probowl status.  Bethea is a probowler and Sanders is a DPOY.  

As I am sure you know (and I know you were trying to start something) depth isn't just players.  depth is quality which the colts have had in spades.  Now it just appears to be dwindling.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]The Colts defense is a myth. Although they have played very well so far this season, the Colts defense is non-existent. I fully expect Matt Schaub to pick that defense apart.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]
    Nice paradox.  How does a myth play well? 

I am not here to say the colt d is as good as their stats, because it is not, but do you think you just dreamt that league leading 13.0 pts allowed/game?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Who would you guys say is the best team the Colts have played this far?  I guess I would say Arizona or Seattle??  (NFC teams BTW!!).

I think we'll find out more about the Colts this week with Shaub coming to town. Has their secondary really been tested?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree we begin to learn about Indy this week. I am not sold on them yet when you look at who they have played. Definately a playoff team but what level playoff team is what we begin to learn now.
    Their defense could fall apart as it is held together with Bailing twine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

its no loss to the colts.they are saying jackson will draw little interest in the free agency next year,and some no name has taken over his spot this year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&line=157830&id=3175

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Moss, I agree and disagree that it is not a loss. 

Jackson was a rising, big hitting CB before he tore his ACL last year.  Certainly there was hope that he would return to his old form from that injury this year which unfortunately had not happened to date and limited him to Nickel duties.  Yes, the colts have been fine without him in his starting role, but that does not mean they would not have been better if he could have healed fully. 

Now with this injury, the hope for a full return is gone.  In fact, with this second tear to the other knee, unless he is going to be a lineman, I think this finishes his career which is a shame. 

I would have expected interest from the market for him if he had been able to return to full strength.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]Moss, I agree and disagree that it is not a loss.  Jackson was a rising, big hitting CB before he tore his ACL last year.  Certainly there was hope that he would return to his old form from that injury this year which unfortunately had not happened to date and limited him to Nickel duties.  Yes, the colts have been fine without him in his starting role, but that does not mean they would not have been better if he could have healed fully.  Now with this injury, the hope for a full return is gone.  In fact, with this second tear to the other knee, unless he is going to be a lineman, I think this finishes his career which is a shame.  I would have expected interest from the market for him if he had been able to return to full strength.
     Are you talking about the same Marlin Jackson that we are? The Marlin Jackson we are talking about is an injury prone first round bust who has a combined 4 INT's and 1/2 sack in 5 years of playing in the NFL. I wouldn't call that a "rising" player. What "old form" were you hoping for him to return to?  Our 2nd round rookie nickel CB, in 7 games, already has half of Jackson's 5 year career total in INT's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year! :  Are you talking about the same Marlin Jackson that we are? The Marlin Jackson we are talking about is an injury prone first round bust who has a combined 4 INT's and 1/2 sack in 5 years of playing in the NFL. I wouldn't call that a "rising" player. What "old form" were you hoping for him to return to?  Our 2nd round rookie nickel CB, in 7 games, already has half of Jackson's 5 year career total in INT's.

yup i agree, Darius Butler is clearly goin to have a better career than Marlin Jackson.

Underdogg doesnt know what hes talking about.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year! :  Are you talking about the same Marlin Jackson that we are? The Marlin Jackson we are talking about is an injury prone first round bust who has a combined 4 INT's and 1/2 sack in 5 years of playing in the NFL. I wouldn't call that a "rising" player. What "old form" were you hoping for him to return to?  Our 2nd round rookie nickel CB, in 7 games, already has half of Jackson's 5 year career total in INT's.

Exactly my point.  There has to be a reason he dropped on the depth chart, it's not because he was so great, yet another player who was even more great came in.  The guy wasn't panning out to be a starting CB and dropped on the depth chart.   So no, Indy doesn't have the deepest secondary.  Maybe one of the most injury-prone, but not the deepest.

I'm not too worried because once it faces a QB who can actually throw the ball around they will get exposed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

INTs ain't everything, my friend, but you keep telling yourself differently.  Ellis Hobbs played 4 yrs for the pats started all games the last 2 years and more than half his first 2.  He has more ints than Jackson and before Jackson's injuries I wouldn't take Hobbs over Jackson if you paid me to do it. 

The colts pass d over the past few years has been one of the best in the league and that was with Jackson playing.  So call it as you will.  I liked my guy, but unfortunately, he may be done for good, now. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Indy's Marlin Jackson is out for the year! : Exactly my point.  There has to be a reason he dropped on the depth chart, it's not because he was so great, yet another player who was even more great came in.  The guy wasn't panning out to be a starting CB and dropped on the depth chart.   So no, Indy doesn't have the deepest secondary.  Maybe one of the most injury-prone, but not the deepest. I'm not too worried because once it faces a QB who can actually throw the ball around they will get exposed.
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]
    Yep, its a pretty easy reason.  He wasn't getting healthy, but you believe whatever you need to, if it makes you feel better. 

Sections
Shortcuts