Indy's own Butler Bulldogs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Indy's own Butler Bulldogs

In Response to Re: Indy's own Butler Bulldogs:
    Encin - This is actually a Butler thread, your attempt to change it by inaccurately disparaging the colts won't change that.  But you keep living in the past.  Its all you got right now.  Sad, huh?  The good news is that there are some more respectful posters here who know how to have a conversation without starting spats like you.  For those of you (not like petty Encinitas) do you think Butler can beat Michigan State?  
    Posted by underdoggg

I think Butler can beat Michigan State but Duke is a different story. Duke is going to get the calls home court or not. Duke has really been able to ride the gravy train through the tournament and I figured Baylor had  the best shot at Bumping them out today. But Butler having home court advantage should take MSU down. Let's hope the officials get into the spirit of things and help them out a little. I thought Butler got sckrewed on a couple of 2nd half calls against KSU that kind of changed the momentum for a few minutes but they battled back pretty good. They're a well coached team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

E - as I watched the Butler Baylor game (when Baylor was dominating inside), I thought there is no way Butler can play that game.  If they managed to beat Michigan State, maybe Duke would be better (If they beat WVU) than Baylor. 

I just hope they get the chance to find out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

E - as I watched the Butler Baylor game (when Baylor was dominating inside), I thought there is no way Butler can play that game.  If they managed to beat Michigan State, maybe Duke would be better (If they beat WVU) than Baylor.  I just hope they get the chance to find out.
    Posted by underdoggg

I'll be rooting for WVU but the Duke thing is tough to overcome. They are really good but after watching hoops for this many years I know how the officiating works as I'm sure you do too. These Refs get wrapped up in the hype like they write about and Krzyzewski( Yeah I had to google it to spell it) is a legend. I don't like seeing teams like Duke, Kentucky, NC and Uconn win.  I'm pulling for Butler to have their own Villanova moment this year. I don't have any chips in the game and really haven't since Calipari left Umass so I watch and pull for all the doggs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

E - I agree.  Local discussion here now is - having the local school play in a local final four is great for the fans, but is it great for the team?  It kind of changes the preparation perspective.  If the team were to have played elsewhere, they would have boarded a plane in a day or two to go to that site.  Very similar to their prep for the other games in the tournament.

Now, as student athletes (don't hear that much anymore) who don't have to travel, the players will be attending class all week except for their media and practice commitments downtown. 

As for Krzyzewski, he really is a great coach and gets really good kids.  Actually, I think his worst one was Laettner who may have been one of the most smug and arrogant overrated players in history.  Good college player, but never translated to the pros.

I am hoping for great things.  Butler has become the "modern day" embodiment of Hoosiers and the city and state are eating it up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

go state.......lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Good defense and good free throw shooting. Go Mountaineers now!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

They couldn't score in crunch time for TEN minutes.  If they're choking in the Final Four, how do you think they'll do in the NCAA Championships???

Don't get me wrong: I'm pulling for them.  I just don't like their chances against a stacked and experienced Duke team.  I doubt many if not any of the Butler players have the big game experience that the Duke players have gotten while playing for a much bigger program in front of a lot more fans on a regular basis while also dealing with the national media attention that Duke regularly attracts.

But yes, GO BUTLER!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Nick - With the game Duke played tonight which was easily the best they've had in the tournament, the odds are stacked heavily against the Dogs, but odds don't play the game. 

I can nearly guarantee you that Duke will not get as many open threes on Monday as they did against WVU, but Duke's size will be a big advantage for them.

You may be right about their chances, but I am not sure what you mean by big game experience.  Sure Duke is an ACC team, but Butler in this tournament has played Syracuse, Kansas State, and now Michigan State and won them all.  Additionally, in the 3 years prior, Duke has been in the tournament and lost in the first rd, lost in the second rd, and lost in the sweet sixteen.  Butler over the same last 3 years did the exact same thing in the tournament. 

Butler once again will be doubted by everyone but themselves. 

Good Luck Butler.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Nick - With the game Duke played tonight which was easily the best they've had in the tournament, the odds are stacked heavily against the Dogs, but odds don't play the game.  I can nearly guarantee you that Duke will not get as many open threes on Monday as they did against WVU, but Duke's size will be a big advantage for them. You may be right about their chances, but I am not sure what you mean by big game experience.  Sure Duke is an ACC team, but Butler in this tournament has played Syracuse, Kansas State, and now Michigan State and won them all.  Additionally, in the 3 years prior, Duke has been in the tournament and lost in the first rd, lost in the second rd, and lost in the sweet sixteen.  Butler over the same last 3 years did the exact same thing in the tournament.  Butler once again will be doubted by everyone but themselves.  Good Luck Butler.
    Posted by underdoggg

I'm not discounting the credibility of their wins thus far in the tournament, but I am saying that the spotlight in the Final Four got a LOT brighter than that to which a small school like Butler would be accustomed.

Duke may not have made it very far in recent years, but their program is under constant scrutiny.  They also play in front of sold out arenas full of much larger crowds of people who all hate them on a regular basis, whereas I can't see Butler having played in 15,000+ stadiums ever before.

I thought this showed in the Michigan State game, where they looked scared and tentative on offense at the end of the game.  Maybe it was the injury to that kid Mack, but their shot selection was poor and Butler looked like they were all trying to defer the responsibility of hitting a big shot to the next guy.  Butler's saving grace was that Michigan State seemed to have a similar problem.  Despite the adrenaline-jacked defense, I thought each team still got looks.

I just think there is value to Duke's experience playing on some of the biggest stages on a regular basis, and I'm suspicious of Butler after watching them tonight.  The only thing that reassures me is that Butler has nothing to lose - they've already trumped by a mile anything that anyone else expected of them and now they're playing with house money (and their coach should remind them of this).  They'll be underdogs by a big margin, and I feel obligated to cheer for a team that may not ever get another chance to play for a championship.

We'll see soon enough.  Go Butler!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Jason - you mean like Brady did against the colts in 06?

Nick - if you mean the spotlight that the east coast sees, then I guess you might be right, but Butler's not in NY or Bos watching themselves play a game in Indy so why would they care?  Besides, this year, Butler has now played - Syracuse, KSU, MSU, Minn, UCLA, Georgetown, Ohio State, Xavier.  Do you really believe that they are intimidated by the big program?

Obviously, you have not seen them play too much this year, but remember 2 of their big three were sitting most of the game - Mack and Howard - and they STILL WON.  They were down in the first half and were ahead in the second without these guys.  Explain that?

Look - you are right that Butler is the underdog, but you are more or less damning them with faint praise.  Not really giving them the credit they deserve.  They are in the national final and had a much tougher road than Duke to get there. 

I will say this, however,  Duke's interior size and depth concern me greatly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

10:42 without a field goal
    11 straight misses
    Butler can't do that against Duke and win.
    They do play good defense, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Digger - without a doubt you are correct.  and frankly, they can't win if Duke has another game like last night where all three of their big 3 are hitting on all cylinders unlike they have all season. 

Lets hope Duke's got that good fortune out of their system.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't think this is the game the selection committee had in mind when it choreographed the cakewalk Duke took to the final.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO  BUTLER!!!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Jason - you mean like Brady did against the colts in 06? Nick - if you mean the spotlight that the east coast sees, then I guess you might be right, but Butler's not in NY or Bos watching themselves play a game in Indy so why would they care?  Besides, this year, Butler has now played - Syracuse, KSU, MSU, Minn, UCLA, Georgetown, Ohio State, Xavier.  Do you really believe that they are intimidated by the big program? Obviously, you have not seen them play too much this year, but remember 2 of their big three were sitting most of the game - Mack and Howard - and they STILL WON.  They were down in the first half and were ahead in the second without these guys.  Explain that? Look - you are right that Butler is the underdog, but you are more or less damning them with faint praise.  Not really giving them the credit they deserve.  They are in the national final and had a much tougher road than Duke to get there.  I will say this, however,  Duke's interior size and depth concern me greatly.
    Posted by underdoggg

To be frank, I don't know sh*t about Butler beyond the small glimpse I got the other night.  I saw way too many scared people handling the basketball at the end of the game to feel comfortable picking them to win.  But if you say that two of their top three players sat most of the game, then I'm excited to see what Butler might be able to do at full strength.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Pmike and all -

You may be correct, but if I might rant a minute, I don't give a FLYING F*CK what the committee choreographed or anyone else hoped or expected to happen.  For most of the week, I listened to national talk radio media whine that this final four provides the perfect example for reseeding teams when they get to the final four. 

I am not naive enough to think that they always believe the arguements they create (although they might), but I do get sick of them taking such a position just to create a discussion and hold to it as if it is a valid point.  

Being the little guy from the small midwestern city, this perspective smacks of nothing less than east coast elitism AND doing everything to squeeze the last extra buck out of the consumer.  

First, it was clear that some of these commentators were incredibly distraught that their beloved big east which they played up to 8 invites to the tourney fizzled miserably in front of an entire country.  But the suggestion of reseeding to allegedly give the only one left a better shot at making into the final game is ridiculous.  

As far as the idea that only big schools should make the finals thereby ensuring the biggest national audience (read revenue) is ridiculous as well.  I am capitalist as much as the next guy, but if anyone really believes that the long term success of the tournament requires some kind of reseeding, I recommend they return to Aesop for some direction.  If that doesn't work (and forgive me for this) look at Baseball.  If the Yankees Red Sox domination in the sport isn't reason for revenue sharing, I don't know what is.  If you don't believe that, then look at the success of the NFL. 

My bias for the little engine that could (Butler) is obvious, but I would say this every day.  I loved when George Mason made it to the final four. 

For the sake of these national guys and beyond my own personal feelings, I hope Butler slays Duke.  If that happens, I am sure that we will hear that they did not deserve it, because Duke wasn't that good, and had an easy road to the finals.  Forget that to get there Butler has gone through, Syracuse, Kansas State, and Michigan State, if East Coast elitists don't get what they want, they will use their mic to complain about it to the masses.  I say F*ck em!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Personally, I like to see the "little guys" make it. I was actually rooting for WV to beat Duke. I will be rooting for Butler as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

this tourny is killing every team i like.  BC -never came close lol. horrendous season Kansas -upset by ALI Syracuse -taken down by butler i got no one left to cheer for. 
    Posted by btownteamsrking

Kansas lkost to northern iowa

i think Duke will trash Butler. heck look what they did to west virginia

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

GO BUTLER!  Need them t-night!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

If you have money on the game, better get some extra points for the possibility that Howard may not play and even if he does may be ineffective.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Its all about Butler's D - they basically won without Howard the last game.  If they can somehow keep it close - they can pull this thing out!  this is how they have been winning.....they find ways to win.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Noise - without a doubt you are correct. 

It will be interesting to see what Duke does.  Do they outsmart themselves by trying to dish the ball inside to their big men who have a decided height advantage but are not particularly skilled (Plumlee brothers are 2 Northern Indiana kids).  I kind of hope they do, because Butler will find a way to defend them down there, although Howard almost always seems to be in foul trouble. 

I just don't expect all of Duke's big three to be on tonight like they were Sat night.  Sat night was an abberation for Duke and if they get back to normalcy, then at least one of those 3 has an off night which will help Butler. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Who cares about the pats today or any other NFL team for that matter (including the colts). 

The NCAA has been trying to fit the glass slipper on a team for years and it has never been closer.  Hell, Cinderella has been in the NCAA's back yard all along.

Go Dawgs!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Cinderella dies tonight

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Come on Harley,

Cinderella never dies.  If Butler does not win then they never were Cinderella. 

Go Dawgs!!!