Inexpensive strong S to pair with DMC? Would you do it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Inexpensive strong S to pair with DMC? Would you do it?

Safety Brandon Meriweather signed a two-year, $6 million contract with theWashington Redskins in 2012 and reworked the deal last offseason. As it turns out, he now is set to become an unrestricted free agent. 

"Safety Brandon Meriweather’s contract with the Washington Redskins voids next week to make him an unrestricted free agent this offseason, according to a person familiar with the deal," wrote Mark Maske of the Washington Post. 

"According to that person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the contract details publicly, Meriweather’s contract voids five days after the Super Bowl and there is no option year in the deal to potentially tie him to the team next season." 

In other words, Meriweather will be able to sign with any team he chooses once the free-agent market opens up in mid-March. 

Meriweather had two interceptions and 69 tackles this season, but the 30-year-old safety has had trouble staying healthy in recent years and Pro Football Focus graded him out as their No. 77 safety this season. Further diminishing Meriweather's free-agent value is his unyielding devotion to dangerous hits, which has led to him being suspended from game action. 

He'll probably get some nibbles of interest, but he shouldn't expect much of a payday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Inexpensive strong S to pair with DMC? Would you do it?

Head case...he and BB no longer exchange XMAS cards as well....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

How many big hitting SS's are available at 30 years of age, maybe at a very attractive cost? Is this locker room strong enough to handle a player such as Merri?

Talib, Dennerd, Ryan, Arrington, DMC, Merri, Harmon, Gregory (restructured)

Would there be a deeper or better secondary in the NFL? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Haven't we seen enough of Gregory? How many times have we seen him leap over and around people to avoid contact? A Safety that doesn't like hitting?

BM had potential at one time...he himself stated he would rather "free lance" than follow a defensive plan. That was never gonna work out here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many big hitting SS's are available at 30 years of age, maybe at a very attractive cost? Is this locker room strong enough to handle a player such as Merri?

Would there be a deeper or better secondary in the NFL? 

[/QUOTE]

Cut Gregory, why extend him? Plus, I'd rather have Pollard. At least he's a disciplined SS, Merriweather was released because he was prone to mistakes. Lots and lots of mistakes...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Haven't we seen enough of Gregory? How many times have we seen him leap over and around people to avoid contact? A Safety that doesn't like hitting?

BM had potential at one time...he himself stated he would rather "free lance" than follow a defensive plan. That was never gonna work out here.

[/QUOTE]

No, I disagree on Gregory. He is not a starting S in the NFL. He is a valuable rotational player that can play either S position if called upon, and can play a multitude of defenses...cover 2, cover 3, man. He can blitz and he can tackle. Of course he has physical limitations, that is why he is a rotational player. Poor draft decisions forced him to play more snaps than he should have. It is not his fault his salary is higher than his production, that is also faulty management decision. At the correct dollar value, he should have a role with this defense. It just should not be as a player playing major snaps unless injury forces the coaches hand. 

I would think with DMC as the defensive QB at S, and Talib able to control either 1 side of the field or a specific match up, that this defense can accept and thrive with a big hitter that is allowed to free lance. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

no thanks on Meriweather. He proved his first go round here he just isnt a very good player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

My knowledge of free agent SS's is lacking, is BM really the best alternative among cheap hard-hitters? I don't remember too many people on this board crying when he left. Liability in coverage, too many mental mistakes, too free lancing.

I think BB has a higher opinion of Gregory than most on this board. If Harmon can take the next step, I see him cutting into Gregory's snaps this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My knowledge of free agent SS's is lacking, is BM really the best alternative among cheap hard-hitters? I don't remember too many people on this board crying when he left. Liability in coverage, too many mental mistakes, too free lancing.

I think BB has a higher opinion of Gregory than most on this board. If Harmon can take the next step, I see him cutting into Gregory's snaps this year.

[/QUOTE]

We could always make a play for Pollard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

40 GIFs That Say NO - Image 9

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

sign Byrd, Bell,Ward or Pollard no to Merriwiffer

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sign Byrd, Bell,Ward or Pollard no to Merriwiffer

Pollard, but I don't think he'll ever play for the Patriots....we need attitude on this team

[/QUOTE]

I've never heard him speak ill of The Patriots. Why wouldn't he play for New England?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Would there be a deeper or better secondary in the NFL

[/QUOTE]

Is this a serious question?  You think the secondary we have would be the best by replacing Gregory with  Meriweather??   Wow, what did you smoke this morning?  Let me try some. ...

You got 2 uprovens on that list(Harmon, Ryan) plus turnstyle arrington and Dmac as good as he is playing deep middle, cant cover a TE to save his life.....lol and smh all at once..

Just wait a few days and then you will see the best secondary which is also the deepest.  Browner not playing... havent missed a beat. We lose a CB, our whole D stinks....lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Is this a serious question?  You think the secondary we have would be the best by replacing Gregory with  Meriweather??   Wow, what did you smoke this morning?  Let me try some.

not a smoker. found out however I may be in the minority after going out to the PAts/Broncos game

You got 2 uprovens on that list(Harmon, Ryan) plus turnstyle arrington and Dmac as good as he is playing deep middle, cant cover a TE to save his life.....lol and smh all at once..

How can you say "unproven". What did Ryan show that says he cannot be part of a 4 man group, getting rotational snaps? And if called upon, can step up against 80-85% of the WR's in the league? Harmon I am a little more skeptical of, but willing to see what happns year #2 with him in that 4th S slot taking TWilsons roster spot

Just wait a few days and then you will see the best secondary which is also the deepest.  Browner not playing... havent missed a beat. We lose a CB, our whole D stinks....lol

Seahawks would be no different Sunday if Sherman goes down against Manning. Seahawks are outsnading but not as deep as our group if we could get a physical S at a reasonable price.

I am not sitting here typing that Merri is better than Byrd or Pollard, but I am saying that the PAts could secure him for approx the vet min, where as Byrd and Pollard will be signing in a zip code the Pats cannot afford

[/QUOTE]

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Is this a serious question?  You think the secondary we have would be the best by replacing Gregory with  Meriweather??   Wow, what did you smoke this morning?  Let me try some.

not a smoker. found out however I may be in the minority after going out to the PAts/Broncos game

How can you say "unproven". What did Ryan show that says he cannot be part of a 4 man group, getting rotational snaps? And if called upon, can step up against 80-85% of the WR's in the league? Harmon I am a little more skeptical of, but willing to see what happns year #2 with him in that 4th S slot taking TWilsons roster spot

Seahawks would be no different Sunday if Sherman goes down against Manning. Seahawks are outsnading but not as deep as our group if we could get a physical S at a reasonable price.

I am not sitting here typing that Merri is better than Byrd or Pollard, but I am saying that the PAts could secure him for approx the vet min, where as Byrd and Pollard will be signing in a zip code the Pats cannot afford

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thats fair but I think Big ban g clock is done here. I like Ryan as long as he is where they want them. VS Denver, he took a step back but make no mistake, I like what I saw but it was limited time.

Dennard, as good as he looked early on has always been a guy I wanted to play inside. He makes up for lack of size with physical play but eventually a bigger guy is gonna burn him. I call it the Ellis Hobbs effect. Great 1st couple years until he started to wear down and get exposed. Dennard is already wearing down with all the small injuries he incurred this year.

I Sherman goes down, atleast they have a servicable guy on other side. They have 2 great Safeties who make plays and hit hard. Not even close. Chancellor and/or E.Thomas could have been nominated for DPOY with noone complaining. Gregory and Dmac...not so much. That secondary does it all. No weaknesses that I see. Ours...dont get me started. I dont overate players. Dennard is good but do we really think he went all the way to the 7th for off field issues?? NFL employs plenty of hot heads.

Arrington is only good if everyone is healthy. I havent seen our secondary healthy by years end in quite some time now yet other teams have their guys there in the end. Its always something with us. NO talent or injuries. We will have to agree to disagree if your opinion is that our secondary is deeper than Seattles. So we may have one backup that is better but their starters TRUMP ours... is that a saving grace..a backup player??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Get McCourty back at DB and build him up again.....I know what I saw in 2010.

Besides, when McCourty's deal expires after this season you think he stays as a former DB doing an OK job at FS? NO freakin way...so he's gone anyway.

Get him back at corner and get his confidence back.

Put Talib's money at:

1.SS

2.TE

3.C

4.DT

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Merriweather has some talent but his problem is he cant play within a system. He wants to freelance. That might work in college but not in the NFL (unless perhaps your name is Lawrence Taylor).

No thanks. Been there. Done that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Get McCourty back at DB and build him up again.....I know what I saw in 2010.

Besides, when McCourty's deal expires after this season you think he stays as a former DB doing an OK job at FS? NO freakin way...so he's gone anyway.

Get him back at corner and get his confidence back.

Put Talib's money at:

1.SS

2.TE

3.C

4.DT

[/QUOTE]

This is true as Eugene Wilson was shown the door and never offered a contract but I dont know if going back to CB is the answer. Dmac has already bulked up and became a safety. He would be just a jag CB now and a slow one.  and last I checked CBs get paid more than safeties so my guess is BB signs him because he IS smart. He prevents the big play which is what BB wants from his B.B.D.B. defense. He wont cover TEs or make many plays but BB doesnt value that over consistency and TDs given up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Would rather take Pollard and see what's in the draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Merri has burnt his bridge here, IMO.  He is simply not disciplined enough to play in NE.  I see where you are coming from due to his size, athleticism, and inexpensive contract, but I just don't think he fits into BB's team system, no matter the cost.  I'd like to see Harmon get a chance to start alongside DMC, and keep Gregory as a specialty player.  I know Gregory has his limitations, but BB seems to love his smarts and leadership.  I think he still has a place here.  Then I would cut Ebner and draft a young Safety with upside.  If a good vet Safety hits the market that fits our budget, then I would bring him in and cut T. Wilson too.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

No Pollard, Whitner, Bethea, Mundy, or even someone like Quinten Mikell would be an upgrade from gregory

Meriweather isnt Patriot material hence why he's in Wash

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Byrd want someone to back the brinks truck up, Merriweather had his chance in NE,Pollard would be great, but he was trained by Suggs to be a hater of all things New England, Ward would be a great addition but cost prohibitive. Here's a novel Idea draft one!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]  Safety Brandon Meriweather signed a two-year, $6 million contract with theWashington Redskins in 2012 and reworked the deal last offseason. As it turns out, he now is set to become an unrestricted free agent. 

"Safety Brandon Meriweather’s contract with the Washington Redskins voids next week to make him an unrestricted free agent this offseason, according to a person familiar with the deal," wrote Mark Maske of the Washington Post. 

"According to that person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the contract details publicly, Meriweather’s contract voids five days after the Super Bowl and there is no option year in the deal to potentially tie him to the team next season." 

In other words, Meriweather will be able to sign with any team he chooses once the free-agent market opens up in mid-March. 

Meriweather had two interceptions and 69 tackles this season, but the 30-year-old safety has had trouble staying healthy in recent years and Pro Football Focus graded him out as their No. 77 safety this season. Further diminishing Meriweather's free-agent value is his unyielding devotion to dangerous hits, which has led to him being suspended from game action. 

He'll probably get some nibbles of interest, but he shouldn't expect much of a payday.
     [/QUOTE]

Are you nuts? Been there done that with ole marryweather. No way the 77th ranked safety. How many safeties are in the league? 78?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Byrd want someone to back the brinks truck up, Merriweather had his chance in NE,Pollard would be great, but he was trained by Suggs to be a hater of all things New England, Ward would be a great addition but cost prohibitive. Here's a novel Idea draft one!

[/QUOTE]

Chung, TWilson, Harmon. Need I say more

Sections
Shortcuts