Influencing factors for GB not going 19-0

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Influencing factors for GB not going 19-0

I know a Greenbay fan who is all poised to declare GB the greatest team of all time if they go undefeated. (of course).

What happens this weekend has quite a bit of influence whether they remain undefeated and get to the SB and of course giving  bragging rights to annoying GB fans forever.

1. If Chicago is in a must win situation when they play GB (2nd to last game of season) that will be big. They need to win vs. Seattle this weekend to make that possible. A team that only can lose players (to injury) and cannot make their playoff position any better vs. a team playing for their playoff life is does open up the chance for an upset.

2. Detroit is interesting, they probably will not have anything on the line the last game of the season against GB unless they lose one more to SD or OAK but not sure that bodes well for their chances to beat GB..so if they need to really beat up OAckland this weekend to show they still have it and then lose to a SD team that gets red hot for one game(no shame in that)  that is the best situation. Then they can go to GB with something on the line.

3. NYG need to make the playoffs by winning out where they could face GB again. They are obviously much more clutch than the Cowboys and a great threat to GB in the NFC. (winning out had the side benefit of most likely eliminating the Jets)

BTW..I am not a '72 Dolphins freak

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: Influencing factors for GB not going 19-0

They already played the Giants

I think the Lions will want to play hard if only to spite the team that pants'd them on Thanksgiving.  They have the D-line to get to Rodgers in under 3 seconds, which is a must considering his release speed (ultra-Peyton-fast, versus Brady getting all kinds of time to make his reads versus designed plays with less option routes and more traditional reads).  They also have the offense to hang with the Packers, if they execute, which they didn't

The Bears only stand a chance if Cutler comes back, but if any team can play great defense against the Packers, it's the Bears.  They mostly hold the Packers to relatively low totals due to familiarity (and talent).  Outside shot.  Maybe 5-10% chance.  But a chance nonetheless

But let's not sleep on the real threat to the Packers' undefeated season: the almighty Chiefs :-P

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: Influencing factors for GB not going 19-0:
    They already played the Giants I think the Lions will want to play hard if only to spite the team that pants'd them on Thanksgiving.  They have the D-line to get to Rodgers in under 3 seconds, which is a must considering his release speed (ultra-Peyton-fast, versus Brady getting all kinds of time to make his reads versus designed plays with less option routes and more traditional reads).  They also have the offense to hang with the Packers, if they execute, which they didn't The Bears only stand a chance if Cutler comes back, but if any team can play great defense against the Packers, it's the Bears.  They mostly hold the Packers to relatively low totals due to familiarity (and talent).  Outside shot.  Maybe 5-10% chance.  But a chance nonetheless But let's not sleep on the real threat to the Packers' undefeated season: the almighty Chiefs :-P
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

MEant play off wins and losses too...can face Giants in playoffs.

Actually did not consider could face Detroit again in playoffs. I agree Detroit is a big threat too. Would rather have them lose in the playoffs actually than in the regular season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Seems a lot of things are happening right for the Pack this season.  Hardly any serious injuries, the other team not playing their best when they face the Packers, who has really stepped up against them this year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

It is funny, Pats fans seem more obsessed with the idea of the Packers going 19-0 then old school Dolphin fans do. Unless the Patriots end up facing the Pack in the Super Bowl, what does it matter?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Detroit is a threat  because anyone on their D Line would probably risk a personal foul call to crush Rodgers and that game could get ugly very quick.

Giants and Saints still a threat in the playoffs. San Fran's D is playing very good football I just can't see them stopping Rodgers for all 4 quarters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

It is funny, Pats fans seem more obsessed with the idea of the Packers going 19-0 then old school Dolphin fans do. Unless the Patriots end up facing the Pack in the Super Bowl, what does it matter?
    Posted by FrnkBnhm

Few points:
    First if a few on this forum are 'obsessed' don't think that is representative of all NE fans.

If the Pats face them would rather they still be undefeated.

NE fans have an appreciation for football/NFL history, it just does not sit right that this years Packers go undefeated when teams like the '85 Bears and the '62 Packers did not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Detroit is a threat  because anyone on their D Line would probably risk a personal foul call to crush Rodgers and that game could get ugly very quick. Giants and Saints still a threat in the playoffs. San Fran's D is playing very good football I just can't see them stopping Rodgers for all 4 quarters.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

The rules and the way they are enforced have changed just enough so the adage 'good defense stops good offense' has been turned around. Now it is 'good offense trumps good defense.' That is the main reason why GB is doing so well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

No one in the NFC is going to beat that team.  No one.  Best shot was the Giants; actually, replay showed that the knee was in bounds in the endzone.  Giants got robbed.  They still might have lost the game, but they would have opened up a lead against GB, something no other team has done this season.

But they won't win the SB.  I got flamed weeks ago for stating that they might lose one game this season, but those who flamed were stating the Pack would lose 3 or 4 games.  How'd that go?

They have had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this season.  Maybe the easiest.  I just think that until and unless you have to play the Steelers in Pitt, the Ravens in Baltimore, or NE in NE, you haven't been tested.

They're hosed if they get the Ravens.  The Giants blew up GB's line for half that game; Baltimore would do it for 4 quarters.

There's going to be a lot of downtrodden GB fans in about two months' time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Posted by FrnkBnhm

I do not think it is an obsession so much as the realization another team is on the cusp of having an undefeated season within 4 years of the Pats 16 - 0 season.  Recall at that time how many said this may not happen again for decades given the makeup of the league, parity rules etc?  What we also have, as I mentioned in my earlier comment, is the Packers have yet to face a team that is making them "earn" this undefeated status.  Giants came close, though.  Add to this is the fact there are no real strong teams left for the Packers on their schedule on the road and they get to finish out the season at home against teams who haven't been playing too well lately or have injuries impacting their lineups. The stars are in align for them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

In Response to Re: Influencing factors for GB not going 19-0 : The rules and the way they are enforced have changed just enough so the adage 'good defense stops good offense' has been turned around. Now it is 'good offense trumps good defense.' That is the main reason why GB is doing so well.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76

Yeah that's why I put the Saints in there. They could win a shoot-out. I am just not that certain they could win at Lambeau in frosty conditions. The Lions will be playing for pride and could easily perceive this game as a litmus test for either how good they are or what they need to beat the Packers. Stafford is quietly having a good season, but they play too undisciplined to beat the Packers. The Giants were obviously very competitive and they have the D line that, when healthy, could cause problems.

The Pats could play them in the Super Bowl. Heck the over/under would be Texas Tech-like (eg; 70+ points).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

No one in the NFC is going to beat that team.  No one.  Best shot was the Giants; actually, replay showed that the knee was in bounds in the endzone.  Giants got robbed.  They still might have lost the game, but they would have opened up a lead against GB, something no other team has done this season. But they won't win the SB.  I got flamed weeks ago for stating that they might lose one game this season, but those who flamed were stating the Pack would lose 3 or 4 games.  How'd that go? They have had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this season.  Maybe the easiest.  I just think that until and unless you have to play the Steelers in Pitt, the Ravens in Baltimore, or NE in NE, you haven't been tested. They're hosed if they get the Ravens.  The Giants blew up GB's line for half that game; Baltimore would do it for 4 quarters. There's going to be a lot of downtrodden GB fans in about two months' time.
    Posted by soups

I wasn't aware NO was such a Patsy, no pun intended.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Influencing factors for GB not going 19-0 : Few points: First if a few on this forum are 'obsessed' don't think that is representative of all NE fans. If the Pats face them would rather they still be undefeated. NE fans have an appreciation for football/NFL history, it just does not sit right that this years Packers go undefeated when teams like the '85 Bears and the '62 Packers did not.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76

This is what I do not get. I like to think that I have a full appreciation of football history, but why is this team less deserving than any other team to go undefeated? If they are capable of pulling it off then they totally deserve it.

The impression I get from a lot of Patriots fans is more along the lines of "If the Patriots could not do it, then I do not want any team to go 19-0".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Detroit is a threat  because anyone on their D Line would probably risk a personal foul call to crush Rodgers and that game could get ugly very quick.

Giants and Saints still a threat in the playoffs. San Fran's D is playing very good football I just can't see them stopping Rodgers for all 4 quarters.

The pressure is going to build from this point. Remember how it was for us. If they go 15-0 and play the Lions they will play all their starters for the whole game. Remember how hard the G-Men played us? That game would have been a good superbowl as well. My guess... they lose to the Lions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Packers have to face Caleb Haine and the Bears and Plako and the Chiefs for a shot at 16-0. When Brady went for 16-0 & 50 TDs, he had to deal with snow storms and 25 MPH winds. Has it even snowed in GB this season? Also, we had tougher defenses down the stretch while the Packers faced off against no names. I'm not impressed at their 16-0, 19-0 I would be though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

Us winning the Superbowl would stop them

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The Pack's chances of going 19-0 are not great. The 2007 Pats were a better football team and they didn't quite make it. I'm hoping GB goes all out for the undefeated season the next 3 games. That increases the chances greatly that they lose a key cog.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: Influencing factors for GB not going 19-0 : This is what I do not get. I like to think that I have a full appreciation of football history, but why is this team less deserving than any other team to go undefeated? If they are capable of pulling it off then they totally deserve it. The impression I get from a lot of Patriots fans is more along the lines of "If the Patriots could not do it, then I do not want any team to go 19-0".  
    Posted by FrnkBnhm

Lot of truth to that but I guess I need to speak for myself.

The next 6 games will do a lot for me just resigning to the fact they deserve it and are worthy. I would like to see the team with the greatest season in NFL history  get the best effort put against them from at least 3 out of the 5 best teams in the NFL (which is what you expect a team to do on the way to the SB.) I only have N.O. as a top team that actually played well against them SO FAR.

So I am looking for challenging hurdles if GB can hop over them then I will marvel and appreciate their season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

The Pack's chances of going 19-0 are not great. The 2007 Pats were a better football team and they didn't quite make it. I'm hoping GB goes all out for the undefeated season the next 3 games. That increases the chances greatly that they lose a key cog.
    Posted by BabeParilli

That is the dillema...The bears and lions are both physical teams. What is GB to do? I think they will NOT pull an Indy:Colts flop which I will respect but if they lose a key player for the playoffs then they will be getting second guessed by many.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

No one who is not a GB fan wants see the undefeated season happen. Just remember, Rodgers is just one pop from another concussion and out for the season. Without Rodgers, no 19-0. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

No one who is not a GB fan wants see the undefeated season happen. Just remember, Rodgers is just one pop from another concussion and out for the season. Without Rodgers, no 19-0. 
    Posted by LittleTimmy31

I totally disagree. If they are playing anyone other than the Patriots in the Super Bowl, I will definitely be routing for Green Bay to go 19-0. I just think it would be awesome to see. I was too young to remember the Dolphins 17-0 season, and I would like to see it done.

And the Patriots are not one Brady, Gronk or Welker injury away from not being a playoff team?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I would like to see the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

If they don't, I really don't care who wins (except for the YETS), and if the Pack goes 19-0, great for them; it would be an outstanding acccomplishment. The "soft schedule" argument is immaterial; you can only play who they schedule you to play, and the Pats have had some shaky games against so-called "soft" teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think they will go undefeated in the regular season.  In the playoffs they could run into trouble with the Saints in the NFC or whoever wins the AFC.  Still, I think their chance of going 19-0 is fairly good. There just aren't a lot of great teams in the NFL this year, and the Packers really do look like the class of the league right now.  

All that said, I hope it's the Pats who win the Super Bowl . . . 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

Keep in mind what it took for the Giants to win.  They hit an incredible streak of playing very good football at the right time, played the game of their lives in that SB and Tyree had the most incredible super glue catch in SB history to keep a drive alive.  It happens when the best team does not win every game and folks remember the last game.  History is littered with many "best teams ever" who did not win that last game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I would like to see the Patriots win the Super Bowl. If they don't, I really don't care who wins (except for the YETS), and if the Pack goes 19-0, great for them; it would be an outstanding acccomplishment. The "soft schedule" argument is immaterial; you can only play who they schedule you to play, and the Pats have had some shaky games against so-called "soft" teams.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4

I, too, will give all the credit in the world to the Packers for completing this feat, if they do.  Also, unlike the Pats of 2007, we will see a majority of the country root for the Packers to win while the majority in 2007 wanted to see the Pats lose.

Sections
Shortcuts