Injuries To TEs or WR Inexperience A Bigger Factor For Offense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Injuries To TEs or WR Inexperience A Bigger Factor For Offense?

We have injuries to the core TE players (Gronk, Hernandez, and Ballard) - and we have a stable of new WRs who have little playing experience with Brady and the offense. Which factor will have a greater impact on this offense?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Injuries To TEs or WR Inexperience A Bigger Factor For Offense?

the WR situation is concerning. so far the reports have not been encouraging, and Boyce missing time only puts him further behind...I can live with a red shirt year from Dobson and Boyce if the coaching staff sees the potential, but that puts added pressure on Amendola and Edelman and Jenkins(?) to stay on the field. I would assume this group also warrants keeping 6 WR's on the 53 man, or maybe 5 TE's?

I fully expect Gronk to return to norm, and the down time helps his wrist. I also expect Hern to be back to norm for the preseason. Ballard I am not quite as sure of...I like what is being reported on Sudfeld...and Fells and Hooma can definately hold down the position if need be.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

the WR situation is concerning. so far the reports have not been encouraging, and Boyce missing time only puts him further behind...I can live with a red shirt year from Dobson and Boyce if the coaching staff sees the potential, but that puts added pressure on Amendola and Edelman and Jenkins(?) to stay on the field. I would assume this group also warrants keeping 6 WR's on the 53 man, or maybe 5 TE's?

I fully expect Gronk to return to norm, and the down time helps his wrist. I also expect Hern to be back to norm for the preseason. Ballard I am not quite as sure of...I like what is being reported on Sudfeld...and Fells and Hooma can definately hold down the position if need be.

How is it "concerning"?  3 days of mini camp and it's "concerning"?  It's an open competition. 

Anyone claiming to fully be able to tell how players look in 2 days of mini camp without pads, etc, is full of crap.

It's fine if some players stand out or whatever, but no rookie in ANY camp after 2 or 3 mini camp days can be lighting it up because it's just not that involved yet.

Wait a minute...first of all, I was there only 1 day, and Dobson and Boyce were not on the field. second of all, you are on another thread here getting bludgeoned about the Jets WR's...so it is ok to comment about the Jets WR's and not ok to comment on the Pats WR's? I understand you are a Jets fan and wish to discuss that team. But the rest of us here are Pats fans and have some concern over the WR's that are on the field, and the injury to Gronk.

my comments about being concerned are regarding Dobson and Boyce not being on the field...it is not about how they looked.

I believe Reiss commented that the OTA WR's that were on the field other than Amendola were the "JV team" 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Neither will have any impact on the offense. They will only impact the sensationalist media and posters to this board.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

my comments about being concerned are regarding Dobson and Boyce not being on the field...it is not about how they looked.

I believe Reiss commented that the OTA WR's that were on the field other than Amendola were the "JV team" 

I read that Dobson was not on the field due to an injury.  Was it ever reported what the injury is.  I don't think it's a serious injury but it's still an injury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

I read that Dobson was not on the field due to an injury.  Was it ever reported what the injury is.  I don't think it's a serious injury but it's still an injury.

[/QUOTE]

of course nothing is ever said around here regarding injuries, so it is left to speculation and heresay. What I had heard was that he had a very minor injury, but since he is unsigned he sat out due to "agents decision"...meaning his agent told him to sit down for fear of greater injury.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

WR has to be the bigger area of concern, like Rusty said Ballard will be ready, so will Hernandez, Huey, Fells and Sudfield; that's a great group of tightends/fullbacks even after you take the best tightend in the game out of the equation.

You can never count on rookies until you get into the preseason, see them compete, Jenkins if he can stay healthy will be better than expected but he's shown this false promise of health and talent over his entire career, Edelman also.  I like our rookies, we'll miss the potential of TJ Moe but one of the rookies will be solid, possibly both, I like their chances.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Funny thing is that peeps were saying how Gronk was ready to go, but then has had several setbacks; including the recent surgery on his back. I would not be surprised if he is out for the year.

In regards to Ballard, he's had well over a year to rehab his torn ACL - and this appears to be longer than average for a professional athlete.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/05/29/with-rob-gronkowski-ailing-tight-end-jake-ballard-line-help-patriots/E2SW4YT6AIm3zyYkZbKKOL/story.html

“They’re not having me go full-go the whole practice. It’s not like they’re turning me to the wolves,” Ballard said. “I talked with the trainer and the coaches and they all tell me what I’m limited to do and what they think I’m going to be able to do. We just gradually improve from there every week and day to day.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4744352/te-aaron-hernandez-checks-in

Hernandez was limited in Tuesday's practice, the first of a three-day mandatory minicamp, as he continues to rehab from offseason shoulder surgery. 

"Shoulder's doing great. Feeling good. Better and better each day," Hernandez said. "(I'm) taking it day-by-day. Because you want to be healthy for the season. You don't want to over-do it now and then have it hurt you for the season." 

I suppose we can merely speculate that both are completely healthy and that the team physician is being conservative.

However, I'm thinking if all 3 TEs are NOT ready by the beginning of the season - that the loss of the big 3 will have a greater impact on the team because of their importance to the running game too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Okay, so - who knows how the latest news will affect Hernandez. Bad things happen in threes. Maybe Ballard won't be ready by the beginning of the season either....lol Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/60350/buyers-remorse-for-patriots-tightends

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

Interesting question, had the Pats waited to lock Gronk and Hernandez up long term it certainly would have been interesting to see what the Pats would have decided to do with them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/60350/buyers-remorse-for-patriots-tightends

Interesting question, had the Pats waited to lock Gronk and Hernandez up long term it certainly would have been interesting to see what the Pats would have decided to do with them.

well, locking them up I think was a good idea - considering their importance to the offense at the time of the signings.  Noone could foretell the injuries to either player or the possible legal problems for Hernandez.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

well, locking them up I think was a good idea - considering their importance to the offense at the time of the signings.  Noone could foretell the injuries to either player or the possible legal problems for Hernandez.

[/QUOTE]

+1

At the time they were resigned they were the top TE duo in the league. Gronk didn't show major issues to that point and was looking at a possible top 5 all time type of career. Hernandez was an explosive TE that created mismatch problems against every team and appeared from the outside to be trying to clean up his past. Hindsight is 20/20 but going back to when they resigned, if they let the contracts run out and Gronk and Hern continued down the path they were going without the injury and off field issues then there is no doubt in my head that you'd be looking at an extra $2mil/per increase at the end of their contracts compared to what they actually signed. Resigning them was the smart move at the time. Now I hope given Hern's past that they had a morals clause put in. If not that's on the Pats for not being smart enough to protect themselves. Knowing what we know today I would still have resigned Gronk to that contract and hope he can overcome the injury bug, as many are hoping Amendola does, simply because he's a once in a lifetime type of talent. Hern on the other hand wouldn't get the extension given recent events and past history, but like I said hindsight is 20/20

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

OK, so an exercise in handicapping whether the young/Vet perimeter WRs develop in the system or Hern and Gronk make it through the season healthy and free from jail, balanced against the importance to the offense of either unit. 

I'm going to go with WRs.

Only because I expect Hern and Gronk to be cleared (both medically and legally).

If they aren't it would possibly end NEs run, as they ARE the offense. But I find it much more likely that a few WRs don't take to the system than that both Gronk and Hern are eliminated.

So yeah, a full complement of WRs for the perimeter has been an unfilled priority for years now.

I am still wondering about the real story behind ditching Lloyd, who was not great, but proved servicable. Perhaps the rumors of locker room friction have some merit. I would have thought he would have been a safe/stable #2 they could have backed with younger legs like Dobson and Boyce.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

OK, so an exercise in handicapping whether the young/Vet perimeter WRs develop in the system or Hern and Gronk make it through the season healthy and free from jail, balanced against the importance to the offense of either unit. 

Only because I expect Hern and Gronk to be cleared (both medically and legally).

If they aren't it would possibly end NEs run, as they ARE the offense. But I find it much more likely that a few WRs don't take to the system than that both Gronk and Hern are eliminated.

So yeah, a full complement of WRs for the perimeter has been an unfilled priority for years now.

I am still wondering about the real story behind ditching Lloyd, who was not great, but proved servicable. Perhaps the rumors of locker room friction have some merit. I would have thought he would have been a safe/stable #2 they could have backed with younger legs like Dobson and Boyce.  

Between the locker room issues and I'm sure performance issues (lack of Yac in a heavy yac team), BB set a price in his mind at what Lloyd deserved. He tried to renegotiate with Lloyd to get him down to that price and it didn't happen so BB let him go. If Lloyd took that number he'd still be on the team is my bet. But, this Hern issues (not that it can be predicted but exposed how swallow the receiving core is right now) and that we have over $8mil left makes you kind of wonder why they didn't offer more to Sanders if they wanted him or why they didn't re-up Welker and still get Amendola.

I agree though Z, with Hoom, Fells, Ballard, Sudfeld I think we could stand the lose of Hern or Gronk for a period but not both.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

May be time to call back LLoyd and apologize....lol - What looked like a stack team, really isnt when you factor in  in-experience and system

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

May be time to call back LLoyd and apologize....lol - What looked like a stack team, really isnt when you factor in  in-experience and system

lmao....he'll probably accept higher pay as an apology....lol

Sections
Shortcuts