Injury prone teams and those with hardly any injuries

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Injury prone teams and those with hardly any injuries

Doesn't it seem like the same teams year after year are getting hit with devastating injuries. For example take the Patriots, Chiefs, Packers, Steelers. These 3 teams always have suffered so many crucial injuries on defense and offense.

Then you have a team like the SF 49ers who have been incredibly injury free for most of the past 3 years under Harbaugh.  The 49ers defense  had all 11 starters play all 16 games in 2011. In 2012 their starting defensive lineup only missed a few games and was healthy for the playoffs.  In 2013 they are the healthiest team in the NFL on defense, offense, offensive line.

The Packers starters were dropping like flies during the game.  Chiefs lost 4 or 5 starters on saturday. The Patriots receivers cannot stay on the field for more than a few games.  The Steelers have lost 2-3 O linemen the past 3 years.  I won't even get started the injuries on defense for the Pats, Steelers, Packers.

How does something like that keep happening?  I do not believe it is pure luck,  not for 3 straight years.  Same teams are injury prone and others barely have any injuries.

Do the 49ers have a superior training staff? Do they simply have better conditioned athletes?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Re: Injury prone teams and those with hardly any injuries

Interesting question, but I think most teams suffer similar numbers of injuries over several seasons. If you just count the 16 games in a season, it's a pretty small sample size where figures can appear inflated.

You also need to factor in postseason appearances as those are extra opportunities for injuries. Patriots, Steelers, and Packers certainly have been in their fair share of those in the past several years.

Taking your example of the 49ers, I'd point out that they lost their starting QB (Alex Smith) last season for a key stretch. If not for Kaepernick, their season could have been ruined by that. They also lost Patrick Willis and Justin Smith for awhile (if I remember correctly), and Crabtree for most of the season this year. So some of it might be perception too, which can often be influenced by amount of media coverage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

It's part of BB's "value" strategy. Save money when and where you can. That's why instead of a strength and conditioning team he gives every player a half off coupon for a membership at planet fitness. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

In response to kevin13130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting question, but I think most teams suffer similar numbers of injuries over several seasons. If you just count the 16 games in a season, it's a pretty small sample size where figures can appear inflated.

You also need to factor in postseason appearances as those are extra opportunities for injuries. Patriots, Steelers, and Packers certainly have been in their fair share of those in the past several years.

Taking your example of the 49ers, I'd point out that they lost their starting QB (Alex Smith) last season for a key stretch. If not for Kaepernick, their season could have been ruined by that. They also lost Patrick Willis and Justin Smith for awhile (if I remember correctly), and Crabtree for most of the season this year. So some of it might be perception too, which can often be influenced by amount of media coverage.

[/QUOTE]

but isnt  3 years a pretty big sample size?

Does anyone have a stat for the number of games missed by starters for all teams in the past 3 years?

I would bet Steelers, Packers and Patriots would easily be in top 5. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Spetznaz24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kevin13130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but isnt  3 years a pretty big sample size?

Does anyone have a stat for the number of games missed by starters for all teams in the past 3 years?

I would bet Steelers, Packers and Patriots would easily be in top 5. 

[/QUOTE]

Someone did post that last week. Would have to look for it.

As of right now the Pats sit at the top of the list in Ir'd players, money wise and yes they are always high on the list yearly.

I do think it has to do with their value approach.  All teams have injuries but when you gravitate to players with a history, it might just be what keeps them at the top of the heap.

It might have to do with over use of some players too.  Wilfork  Mankins.  It's not the back ups getting hurt, not usually.  Maybe 88-95% of the snaps are a little much.

Jones has played an awful lot this year.  Hope he's not the next casualty.

fingers crossed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

With all those injuries we continue to win.  Thank you Tom Brady

Sections
Shortcuts