INSIDER'S TAKE: JASON TAYLOR shares his PAIN, could this be GRONK, NINK or HERN today?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: INSIDER'S TAKE: JASON TAYLOR shares his PAIN, could this be GRONK, NINK or HERN today?

Jeez, that's a story football fans hate to deal with as much as the players.

Very sad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re: INSIDER'S TAKE: JASON TAYLOR shares his PAIN, could this be GRONK, NINK or HERN today?

This sort of reminds me of the novel North Dallas Forty written by ex-NFL-Dallas-receiver Pete Gent. (In 1965, Gent caught 16 passes for 233 yards and two touchdowns. In 1966, he had 27 receptions for 474 yards (averaging 17.6 yard per catch) and one touchdown. In 1967 with the arrival of Lance Rentzel and his declining health problems, he was moved to tight end.)

Gent's career was marred by injury, having had 2 knee operations and constant back problems. He was known for his intelligence, soft hands and size. He caught passes mostly from quarterback Don Meredith, with whom he enjoyed a close friendship off the field.

The novel was later made into a movie starring Nick Nolte.  The story centered on the agonizing pain that a player had to withstand to continue playing and the drugs and injections used to subdue the pain.  After which, when the player was no longer useful, the team casually kicked the player to the curb.

Jason Taylor's story parallels North Dalls Forty in a remarkably similiar fashion.

Apparently, some things have not changed in the NFL over the past fifty years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This sort of reminds me of the novel North Dallas Forty written by ex-NFL-Dallas-receiver Pete Gent. (In 1965, Gent caught 16 passes for 233 yards and two touchdowns. In 1966, he had 27 receptions for 474 yards (averaging 17.6 yard per catch) and one touchdown. In 1967 with the arrival of Lance Rentzel and his declining health problems, he was moved to tight end.)

Gent's career was marred by injury, having had 2 knee operations and constant back problems. He was known for his intelligence, soft hands and size. He caught passes mostly from quarterback Don Meredith, with whom he enjoyed a close friendship off the field.

The novel was later made into a movie starring Nick Nolte.  The story centered on the agonizing pain that a player had to withstand to continue playing and the drugs and injections used to subdue the pain.  After which, when the player was no longer useful, the team casually kicked the player to the curb.

Jason Taylor's story parallels North Dalls Forty in a remarkably similiar fashion.

Apparently, some things have not changed in the NFL over the past fifty years.

[/QUOTE]

Scary thing, DustCover, is that, until the end of his career,  Taylor always looked like Superman out there; never looked hurt. Imagine how bad the guys who are actually limping around on the field are beat up. Have to assume there are thousands of other JTs out there; we're just hearing mostly about the ones with concussions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/13/v-fullstory/3179926/dan-le-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html

as these stories are being publicly shared, no way can goody be too happy. ultimately, any reforms will cost money and force teams to expand roster space. better to pretend you care about the slaughterhouse like today's butchers and corporate farms then to actually look at alternatives or different lifestyles. more i hear this, must wonder about the kinds of pressure a gronk is under. clearly he's been taking some serious painkillers and will be severely medicated today just to get him in and thru the game. even during the games, they are taking shots. my sources tell me rg3 was injected when he first went down in the first quarter as he was shown going to the skins' dungeon.. yep, the same one taylor got accustomed to. SERIOUSLY.. if it takes this much to get your buttt out there to play, perhaps you shouldnt be playing or at least have your risks reduced, like not putting gronk on the extra point freakin team... EVER!

ditto with a seymour or wilfork at fullback. recall those days? i love watching these guys but really feel for their futures. just as the newtown murders have forced the gun issue, hopefully things will change before a peyton type shoots himself DURING his playing career due to the pain and shame about complaining about it or taking time off for it. yep, be a playa not a patient!

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, CC, but could you site your source on Gronk's condition?

That's what I thought.  Are you making up news again, CC?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/13/v-fullstory/3179926/dan-le-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html

as these stories are being publicly shared, no way can goody be too happy. ultimately, any reforms will cost money and force teams to expand roster space. better to pretend you care about the slaughterhouse like today's butchers and corporate farms then to actually look at alternatives or different lifestyles. more i hear this, must wonder about the kinds of pressure a gronk is under. clearly he's been taking some serious painkillers and will be severely medicated today just to get him in and thru the game. even during the games, they are taking shots. my sources tell me rg3 was injected when he first went down in the first quarter as he was shown going to the skins' dungeon.. yep, the same one taylor got accustomed to. SERIOUSLY.. if it takes this much to get your buttt out there to play, perhaps you shouldnt be playing or at least have your risks reduced, like not putting gronk on the extra point freakin team... EVER!

ditto with a seymour or wilfork at fullback. recall those days? i love watching these guys but really feel for their futures. just as the newtown murders have forced the gun issue, hopefully things will change before a peyton type shoots himself DURING his playing career due to the pain and shame about complaining about it or taking time off for it. yep, be a playa not a patient!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

just common sense on this one, nothing official.. do the math. like with ray lewis.. y do you think he's retiring? no way you come back this quickly from BOTH of their injuries without some serious extracurriculars. same with nink, wes 2 years ago, adrian petersen this year (we just dont see or hear about it).. these guys must have some serious shots. hopefully there are no long term consequences. but both rob and hern for different reasons strike me as guys who will have long term health issues beyond football. ditto with wes (too many hits). now the news isnt all bad.. would be shocked if a brandon lloyd even needs an advil when his career is over.. he goes down as easily as linda lovelace.. never puts himself in positio of harming his non-football life. is that right, is that wrong... if that were my son, would call it a great biz decision!

[/QUOTE]

Gronk broke his arm two months ago it should be healed by now.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Nobody forced Seau or Taylor to play for a decade and a half. Obviously the longer you go and the older you get, the more a physical game takes its toll.

Is it lust for money or glory or both?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Golden handcuffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

that was a brutally honest accounting of the NFL...I read it this morning and damn...that's some crazy stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nobody forced Seau or Taylor to play for a decade and a half. Obviously the longer you go and the older you get, the more a physical game takes its toll.

[/QUOTE]

My thoughts..not just money and glory, they love the game too.

However, the game will be destroyed if they try to take the violence out of it. Also these are grown men making decisions over their own lives, let them.

One thing that could be done is to set aside 20% of all players contracts  to a fund for a soft landing for those who have dedicated themselves to the sport and really need to leave due to injury but never got the big contract and have no other life skills.

As for the Jason Taylors who have socked away plenty but have other reasons for fighting through injury, let them, it is a free country.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

just common sense on this one, nothing official.. do the math. like with ray lewis.. y do you think he's retiring? no way you come back this quickly from BOTH of their injuries without some serious extracurriculars. same with nink, wes 2 years ago, adrian petersen this year (we just dont see or hear about it).. these guys must have some serious shots. hopefully there are no long term consequences. but both rob and hern for different reasons strike me as guys who will have long term health issues beyond football. ditto with wes (too many hits). now the news isnt all bad.. would be shocked if a brandon lloyd even needs an advil when his career is over.. he goes down as easily as linda lovelace.. never puts himself in positio of harming his non-football life. is that right, is that wrong... if that were my son, would call it a great biz decision!

[/QUOTE]

Gronk broke his arm two months ago it should be healed by now.

[/QUOTE]

did you see him play last wek and the ray lewis like padding he has on that? even for guys watching him at practice, they say he's favoring it and wont be healed til the end of the season.. he's far from 100% and must be experiencing some serious pain and using stuff for it.. taderol, very likely..

[/QUOTE]

Ray Lewis had a torn tricep which is much worse than a broken arm. Just keep making up things.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Both are accountable: players and teams. It is important for the teams to be accountable for their behavior in providing drugs that will harm a person later in life. That borders on negligent, abusive or criminal behavior. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Both are accountable: players and teams. It is important for the teams to be accountable for their behavior in providing drugs that will harm a person later in life. That borders on negligent, abusive or criminal behavior. 

[/QUOTE]

I SERIOUSLY HOPE THAT gronk doesnt end up as a seau or a taylor and have to live off painkillers the rest of his life.. will that arm ever recover to a 100%?

[/QUOTE]

Is that more or your common sense reporting    Stop with your bs spam. 

Sections
Shortcuts