Interesting Amendola CAP number

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Interesting Amendola CAP number

Last offseason, the New England Patriots signed WR Danny Amendola to a five-year, $28.5 million contract with the idea that he would replace Wes Welker as QBTom Brady's go-to slot receiver. Instead, as has typically been the case for Amendola during his NFL career, he was injured often, and Julian Edelman turned into Brady's top WR option. 

Now, it appears that Amendola may not even return as a Patriot for the 2014 campaign. 

"Danny Amendola may be fighting for a roster spot come March 11, the first day of the 2014 league year," wrote Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. "... Amendola is coming off a disappointing season in which he missed four games and lost Tom Brady’s trust, and could be in danger of being cut. 

"It would cost the Patriots $4.8 million against the cap to outright cut him, which seems unlikely given their tight cap situation, but they could designate him a post-June 1 cut, which would give him cap charges of $1.2 million in 2014 and $3.6 million in 2015. The Patriots could then use those savings to sign free agent Julian Edelman." 

Unless Edelman is willing to re-sign with the Pats at a discount, he likely won't come cheaply after pulling in 105 passes for 1,056 yards and six touchdowns (all career-highs, by far) this season. As ESPN's Jon Gruden noted on "Mike & Mike" this week, even with Edelman and Amendola in the mix, the Pats need to improve their WR corps this offseason. 

“There’s no question they need to address their receiving corps," Gruden said. "I don’t know that [Danny] Amendola, [Julian] Edelman, the cast of receivers, has enough firepower to take you the distance." 

There are a lot of high-end wide receivers in this year's draft and quite a few quality options who should be available on the free agent market, so the Patriots could aggressively address their WR weakness this offseason. Interestingly, though, ESPN NFL Insider Mel Kiper Jr. gave the Patriots Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro with the 29th pick in his initial mock draft: 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Interesting Amendola CAP number

interesting find karp.

i wonder if the pats are considering it.

they must be after this year.

I really like a lot of WRs in this draft

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

From just a fan's perspective,  I'd like to see them give him another season before dumping him.

He played very well his first game against Buffalo and promptly got hurt.

He then played the rest of the season hurt.  If he's 100% going into next season I think the results will be different provided he can stay healthy.  If not, then there is no point in keeping him.  Also, this depends on if the Pat's sign Edelman or lose him to FA. 

I don't know how it would relate to the salary cap after next season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

From just a fan's perspective,  I'd like to see them give him another season before dumping him.

He then played the rest of the season hurt.  If he's 100% going into next season I think the results will be different provided he can stay healthy.  If not, then there is no point in keeping him.  Also, this depends on if the Pat's sign Edelman or lose him to FA. 

Generally I agree with you. 

But, can he ever stay healthy? And can the Pats sign Edelman and still pay Amendola? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

But, can he ever stay healthy? And can the Pats sign Edelman and still pay Amendola? 

I say give him another season to prove he can stay healthy and be a bigger contributor.

This was the first year Edelman has been able to stay healthy all season.  Wouldn't surprise me if the Pat's resign him and he blows out his knee in training camp. Although, I hope that's not the case.   

But, I guess that's the risk that teams have to take.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I say give him another season to prove he can stay healthy and be a bigger contributor.

This was the first year Edelman has been able to stay healthy all season.  Wouldn't surprise me if the Pat's resign him and he blows out his knee in training camp. Although, I hope that's not the case.   

But, I guess that's the risk that teams have to take.

Point being they cannot sign Edelman given Amendolas contract number.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Like I said this is the first season Edelman has stayed healthy.

Hopefully this means his injury bug is in the past.

Amendola hasn't proven that yet but I would like to see what he can do when healthy for a full season. 

So, if they can't keep both, then which one would you rather have.

Most people I guess would want to keep Eds because of what he was able to accomplish this season and his specials teams contributions plus I love his fire and attitude.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Whichever option leaves us in the best position to add another stud WR would be the best one for me. Amendola is only set to make 3 million this year. It looks like if they cut him after this season they owe him nothing. Given the two options below (correct me if I am wrong) the team probably has more upside and ability to get another better WR if they keep DA.

Option 1 - Cut Amendola as a June 1st cut, save 2.8m at the expense of 3.6 million in 2015 (seems harsh). Keep Edelman. Edelman's cap number this season would need to be just around 4m because with the 1.2m in dead money that would amount to just about what the team paid him and Amendola combined this past year.

Total estimated cost of just Edelman = 5.2m '14 and probably like 7m in 2015 (Edelman + 3.6m dead money for Amendola)

Option 2 - Let Edelman walk. Pay Amendola his 3m base in 2014 (2m guaranteed) and if he repeats this awful season cut him for no monster 3.6m hit in 2015. He's likey to have a chip on his shoulder and want to prove he is a lot better than this. and basically would be playing for a contract if all his guaranteed money is used up after '14. The team can sign Collie for the cheap deal Edelman accepted last year (1/750k). 

Total cost of Amendola/Collie = 3.7m '14. Saving a little bit of $ to update elsewhere next year and a lot of cash in '15.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Jace Amaro is more WR than TE, he isn't quite Jimmy Graham, but has the upside to be close to that type of player and can play the role Hernandez played here and eventually, he is young, be better.

He does not block well though.

I think TE Eric Ebron and WR Mike Evans will both be long gone when the Pats pick. If one was there for us that would be insanely awesome.

If one of Benjamin or Amaro was there for the Pats that would be great as well. Really any of those 4 would be the weapon TB needs. 

I think all will be gone personally, and if it was between TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins and a WR like USC's Hill, Fresno's Adams or Penn State's Robinson I would pick the WR and assume that the ND and Iowa TE's Niklas and Fiederwicz could be had later on.

I'd consider another trade down from 30 to 35-40 to take a WR, add a 3rd rd pick in the 65-70 range (for the TE) and use our own 2nd and 3rd rd picks on a safety and then whatever side of the line we didn't address in free agency (ex. DT in rd 3 if the team say signed C Alex Mack... C or OG if the team signed Linval Joseph).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I would be ok with cutting Amendola.  I didn't mind the signing when it happened, but it just didn't work out.  Guy really is made of glass.  He was worth a gamble, IMO, but it just didn't work.  I say cut your losses and move on.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I would be ok with cutting Amendola.  I didn't mind the signing when it happened, but it just didn't work out.  Guy really is made of glass.  He was worth a gamble, IMO, but it just didn't work.  I say cut your losses and move on.  

That's the thing, which everyone kind of missed on this issue. The pats could cut him and incur only $1.2 cap hit this year. About what the AWilson hit was. 

Would enable the Pats to sign Edelman

but would be a huge admission by BB that he made a mistake with Amendola signing in the first place

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Another what do we do with Amendola thread.  Not surprising.. I would like to just remind a few posters on this forum that I told you so!  Now that I got that off my chest... what do we do with Amendola?

This is interesting info that you post rkarp.  Well done, you add a lot of good info to the forum.  I am assuming Ben Volin is correct with his numbers on Amendola's cap hits for 2014 and 2015.

The savings for this season between Amendola's cap hit of $4.575 million and $1.2 million (post June 1) would be huge in keeping Edelman and possibly even allow the Pats to bring in a more experienced down field threat FA after redoing Wilforks contract, which we know has to happen.  Gruden is 100% correct (amazing) when he says the Pats need to improve the receiving corps for next season. 

Do we really see the Pats going after more WR's in the draft and expect that to be the answer to adding firepower with Dobson and Thompkins?  I'm not so sure about that.  They need a quality FA WR signing this off season.  

So if you are keeping Thompkins, Dobson and Boyce then re-sign Edelman, Cut Amendola after June 1, bring in a legit FA WR who can work the middle to deeper parts of the field, re-sign Talib, redo Willforks contract.  Is that all doable?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

That's the thing, which everyone kind of missed on this issue. The pats could cut him and incur only $1.2 cap hit this year. About what the AWilson hit was. 

Would enable the Pats to sign Edelman

but would be a huge admission by BB that he made a mistake with Amendola signing in the first place

Hasn't stopped him before.  Remember Haynesworth? and even Tebow and Ocho.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think they should get amendola to restructure to an incentive laden contract that could equal the same money but depends on playing time and performance

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Cut Amendola, this guy is just a season ending injury waiting to happen.  Tired of the Pats going into the season with players that don't last and going to the scrap heap to fill holes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

I wouldn't put to much stock in what Ben Volin says, what makes you think he has any knowledge of the inner workings of the Pats org. Julian Edelman is going to get paid this year. Unfortuantely it will not be the Pats paying him. There will be some club out there who will over pay. He has one chance in his career for a big payday and this year is it. Good for him he earned it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I actually like the thought of us drafting a tightend over a wide receiver early, because that is where we really are hurting. Remember this WAS a two tightend offense, which dwindled down to a no tightend offense by the end of the season. I think the throws to the tightend are easier for Brady's skill set right now and it's one of the easier reads to make. And believe it or not I think Dobson and Boyce will be solid in year two. Of course if they lose Edelman and are stuck with Amendola I will change my mind.

Another thing I'd like to see is us acquire a running back that you don't have to sub in and off the field...a guy that can run and catch. Has Brady ever had a guy like that before? A guy who can block, be a dump off receiver and run between the tackles. I know Dillion could catch a little, but he was nothing more than a run 5 yards and turn around and catch, guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

interesting find karp.

i wonder if the pats are considering it.

they must be after this year.

I really like a lot of WRs in this draft

Typical media "what-iffing" and it is taken as just about gospel here.  Conjecture on the part of the writer with no intel from the Patriots themselves.  For all we know, DA is to fit perfectly into whatever the Pats have in mind for 2014.  Oh, I'm sorry, am I trying to guess what the Pats are going to do?  I should be a writer!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It is rash to cut Amendola now and take the cap hit. Better to give him 1 more year to prove himself.

Amaro (Tex Tech Red Raiders) catches the ball really well. Big 12 DB's had a hard time covering him at Tex Tech. Will he provide the same coverage disparity in the NFL? This is the question for the scouts but I think he can get open in the NFL if he could do it consistently with 2 true freshman QB's at Tech. 

BB has a good relationship with former Pat, Kliff Kingsbury who is the Tech head coach. KK ran a fast paced offense at Tech centered around Amaro. Is a pipeline of future Pats players getting set to come from Lubock, TX? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Here is a good layout of the 5 different type of Cap scenerios if the Pats released Danny Amendola.  Written by Miguel Benzan @patscap

Right now, Danny Amendola’s 2014 cap number is $4,575,000 which consists of 3 million salary, $1.2 million in signing bonus proration, and $375,000 ($31,250 per 46-man active roster appearance) roster bonus.

I have been asked what would be the salary cap ramifications if the Patriots chose to release Danny Amendola in 2014.

When Danny Amendola was signed to his current contract in March, 2013 it was widely reported that he received $10 million in guaranteed money and that 2 million of his 3 million 2014 salary was fully guaranteed. Today the Boston Globe’s Ben Volin reported that the “$2 million of his (Amendola’s) $3 million base salary in 2014 becomes guaranteed if he’s on the roster at 4 p.m. on March 11 which would mean that the Pats could take steps to avoid making the two million fully guaranteed.

I will present a couple of scenarios.

Cut Danny Amendola before 4PM March 11 and make him a June 2 designation.
    That means the Pats would carry his $3 million salary and his $375,000 roster bonus on their books until June 2nd. On June 2nd he would be released. His 2014 cap number would then drop from $4.575m to $1.2million ($1.2 million signing bonus proration) – net cap savings in 2014 of around $2.88 million.
    His 2015 cap number would go from $5.575 million to $3.6 million.

Cut Danny Amendola before 4PM March 11 and do NOT use the June 2 designation.
    His 2014 cap number would then drop from $4.575m to $4.8 million – the rest of his signing bonus proration. Since a player with a $420,000 salary would then take his place in the Top 51 list, the Patriots would lose additional $645,000 in cap space.
    His cap number would go from $5.575 million to zero.

Cut Danny Amendola after 4PM March 11 and before June 2 and make him a June 2 designation.
    That means the Pats would carry his $3 million salary and his $375,000 roster bonus on their books until June 2nd. On June 2nd he would be released. His 2014 cap number would then drop from $4.575m to $3.2million ($1.2 million signing bonus proration and $2 million salary) – net cap savings in 2014 of around 880K

Cut Danny Amendola after 4PM March 11 and before June 2 and do NOT use the June 2 designation.
    His 2014 cap number would then increase from $4.575m to $6.8 million – the rest of his signing bonus proration ($4.8m) plus the $2 million salary. Since a player with a $420,000 salary would then take his place in the Top 51 list, the Patriots would lose additional $2,645,000 in cap space.
    His cap number would go from $5.575 million to zero.

Cut Danny Amendola after June 1
    His 2014 cap number would then drop from $4.575m to $3.2million ($1.2 million signing bonus proration and $2 million salary) – net cap savings in 2014 of around 880K

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Another what do we do with Amendola thread.  Not surprising.. I would like to just remind a few posters on this forum that I told you so!  Now that I got that off my chest... what do we do with Amendola?

This is interesting info that you post rkarp.  Well done, you add a lot of good info to the forum.  I am assuming Ben Volin is correct with his numbers on Amendola's cap hits for 2014 and 2015.

The savings for this season between Amendola's cap hit of $4.575 million and $1.2 million (post June 1) would be huge in keeping Edelman and possibly even allow the Pats to bring in a more experienced down field threat FA after redoing Wilforks contract, which we know has to happen.  Gruden is 100% correct (amazing) when he says the Pats need to improve the receiving corps for next season. 

Do we really see the Pats going after more WR's in the draft and expect that to be the answer to adding firepower with Dobson and Thompkins?  I'm not so sure about that.  They need a quality FA WR signing this off season.  

So if you are keeping Thompkins, Dobson and Boyce then re-sign Edelman, Cut Amendola after June 1, bring in a legit FA WR who can work the middle to deeper parts of the field, re-sign Talib, redo Willforks contract.  Is that all doable?

YUP, TFB, you did. And it certainly didn't work out the way I expected/hoped it would. Good call. BUT! If it meant to sign Wes last off season to the same kind of a deal, I still beieve that AD was the better investment as compared to Wes when it comes to subsequesnt seasons and moving forward. But, for the 2013 season, you were correct. HOWEVER, if Wes is critical in a loss next Sunday, you still gonna feel it woulda been better to sign Wes, and for long term???

Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

YUP, TFB, you did. And it didn't work out the way I expected it too. Good call, but not if meant sign Wes to the same kind of deal. I still beieve that AD is the better investment when comparing him to Wes as for moving forward. But, for the 2013 season, you were correct. 

No doubt the type of contract they gave to Amendola wasn't what I wanted to see Welker get.  I wanted to see a two year deal and if it took 3 to get it done then do the 3 years, having it structured to where if the Pats wanted to release him in year 3 then it wouldn't hurt the team. 

I really don't see the Pats cutting Amendola loose after this one season, I think we need to still give him another year to see what happens.  But if it meant cutting him loose so they could keep Edelman and bring in a good, legit FA WR who could work the mid to deep field then I am all for doing that.  There are going to be many tough decisions for BB to make this off season, I'm excitied to see what is in store.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

Edelman is not likely to be resigned, nor will Amendola be cut - the contract details will force this decision and it might be okay for the Pats. No player can guarantee performance, so every personnel decision comes with risk. TJ Moe & Josh Boyce may very well be ready for an increased role in 2014 and giving Amendola a second chance at being a solid option for Brady is not unreasonable, especially given his football upside and the financial downside of releasing him.

In addition, Gregory, Sopoaga, A Wilson and perhaps Connelly are candidates for salary cap cuts that would free up about $9M. BB also has a very big decision to make wrt Wilfork & Kelly. Their offseason rehab status will have a huge impact on the makeup of the defensive line as well as over $10M in salary cap charges ( $8M for VW alone ). 

I think that BB wants to resign Talib and Blount, but knows that he needs to approach both contracts cautiously, not getting overcommitted while not missing the opportunity to employ two very good football players.

It will certainly be a very interesting offseason that, if managed well, can definitely result in another SB-contending team in Foxboro. I, for one, am extremely optimisitic. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't know if this guy's numbers are correct. This is what spotrac says:

2014 3,000,0001,200,000500,0004,700,0006,800,000

2015 4,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 5,700,000 3,600,000

2016 5,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 6,700,000 2,400,000

2017 6,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 7,700,000 1,200,000

If these are correct, his dead money hit this year (last column) is $6.8 mil and his cap hit $4.7 mil (fourth column). The article said his cap hit if they cut him is $4.8 mil, so something is incorrect. If the dead money hit is $6.8 mil, even if it can be spread out, that's too much. If they wait until next year it drops to $3.6 mil, that's when you make the move. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I don't know if this guy's numbers are correct. This is what spotrac says:

2014 3,000,0001,200,000500,0004,700,0006,800,000

2015 4,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 5,700,000 3,600,000

2016 5,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 6,700,000 2,400,000

2017 6,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 7,700,000 1,200,000

If these are correct, his dead money hit this year (last column) is $6.8 mil and his cap hit $4.7 mil (fourth column). The article said his cap hit if they cut him is $4.8 mil, so something is incorrect. If the dead money hit is $6.8 mil, even if it can be spread out, that's too much. If they wait until next year it drops to $3.6 mil, that's when you make the move. 

The dead money if they cut him is $6.8 million I believe.  That's the remaining $4.8 million of his $6 million signing bonus that hasn't yet been accounted for plus the $2 million of his $3 million 2014 base salary that is guaranteed.  

Sections
Shortcuts