Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana.

Nice read on the comparision of Brady and Montana.  Both QB's lost big games against the Giants.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana.

Good find. Brady is the best ever when you weigh it all.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Good find. Brady is the best ever when you weigh it all."

Interesting - I don't agree. I realize it's a subjective argument but to me 4-0 in four super bowls with 12 touchdowns and 0 interceptions seals it for Montana. 

Brady has been outplayed, by a hair, but outplayed, by Eli Manning now in two SuperBowls. It doesn't mean Brady isn't an all time great but the best ever has to pull one of those out. And yeah, it's unfair because any number of things could have swayed that, but it is what it is. 

However Brady's career isn't over, Montana's is, so in my opinion Brady can still move up. 

ruling out the Johnny Us and Otto Grahams since I just don't know how to take those guys into account fairly, I have Brady in the top five somewhere, I tend to put Montana first, Elway second, and Brady third. But I have 2 and 3 closer together than further apart, no matter how different their styles are. I still see Montana as one major step above. 

I'm rooting for Brady to add to his legend though. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana.:
    [QUOTE]" Good find. Brady is the best ever when you weigh it all." Interesting - I don't agree. I realize it's a subjective argument but to me 4-0 in four super bowls with 12 touchdowns and 0 interceptions seals it for Montana.  Brady has been outplayed, by a hair, but outplayed, by Eli Manning now in two SuperBowls. It doesn't mean Brady isn't an all time great but the best ever has to pull one of those out. And yeah, it's unfair because any number of things could have swayed that, but it is what it is.  However Brady's career isn't over, Montana's is, so in my opinion Brady can still move up.  ruling out the Johnny Us and Otto Grahams since I just don't know how to take those guys into account fairly, I have Brady in the top five somewhere, I tend to put Montana first, Elway second, and Brady third. But I see have 2 and 3 closer together than further apart, no matter how different their styles are. I still see Montana as one major step above.  I'm rooting for Brady to add to his legend though. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

There is a hell of a lot more to who the best ever is beyong what happened in SBs. And Brady has a hefty edge in all of those.

Elway isn't top 5.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

I tend to put Montana first, Elway second, and Brady third.

How can you put Elway ahead of Brady? Brady has more overall playoff wins, and is 3-2 in the big game while Elway is 2-3. And in those losses Elway played a lot worse than Brady did in these last two. Elway finally won the SB once he had a balanced offense. His losses were with teams who were predominately passing teams, just like these last two Patriots teams. And both Elway and Montana had much better defenses in all their big game appearances than NE has had since the last win. Joe was definitely on his game in the big one, but that first SB his defense forced 5 turnovers against the Bengals. You don't lose SBs when you jump out to a 20 point lead! I think you need to insert Aikman and even Bradshaw into the mix above Elway. And Brady has also had the disadvantage of having to do it during the salary cap. The 49ers, Steelers, and Cowboys all were able to keep the core of the team together. I still think Brady needs another ring to be considered equal or better than Montana, but IMO he has surpassed John Elway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana.:
    [QUOTE]Nice read on the comparision of Brady and Montana.  Both QB's lost big games against the Giants. http://thefanhub.com/posts/detail/303056/Like-Tom-Brady-Joe-Montana-Couldnt-Beat-the-Giants
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]
    It goes to show how fleeting memories are!  No one will drudge up the "bad" games Montana had within those winning years, which per the article, are eeriely similar to Brady's.  As I said in another discussion, the fans here are currently in a "what have you done for me lately" mode and completely forget all the good stuff Brady has done.  Could we dare say if Brady was not the QB of the Pats these 11 years, would we have seen the Pats in the SB 5 times?  Think about it!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

TB12 will go down as one of the greatest ever maybe even the best. But Joe did go 4-0 in SB's. He never threw a nint in a SB. He made a slow average receiver named Clark a Pro Bowler. If he wasn't traded he would have 5 rings. Tom will always have better stats but Joe had a passer rating of 127.8 in 4 SB'S, that's pretty hard to top. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wasecl. Show wasecl's posts

Brady had the advantage of Spygate that Montana didn't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

You know what Montana had that Brady didn't?

Roger Craig.

Give Brady a true running game and he would be 5-0 in Super Bowls.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana. : It goes to show how fleeting memories are!  No one will drudge up the "bad" games Montana had within those winning years, which per the article, are eeriely similar to Brady's.  As I said in another discussion, the fans here are currently in a "what have you done for me lately" mode and completely forget all the good stuff Brady has done.  Could we dare say if Brady was not the QB of the Pats these 11 years, would we have seen the Pats in the SB 5 times?  Think about it!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget Montana had the greatest WR in NFL history for two of those Superbowl victories, Mr. Jerry Rice.  Add in Roger Craig in the running game for 3 of those superbowl victories(1988 offensive player of the year).

On defense you can start with the Best safety in NFL history in Ronnie Lott and work you way down.

In all of Brady's Superbowl victories and appearances, how many would be considered greatest of all time? answer: zero.  How many are sure fire Hall of famers? answer: zero

Montana was a great QB, but if he had to play with the same level of talent that Brady has throughout his career, his Superbowl victories would be zero.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

[QUOTE]Brady had the advantage of Spygate that Montana didn't.
    Posted by wasecl[/QUOTE]
    This is way wrong.

Every team was videotaping.  Every team.  Even back then.  This is straight from the better coaches in NFL history.  49ers had film, too.

The NFL decided to stop the taping and issued a letter instructing everyone to stop.  The Patriots ignored the letter.  So, at best they benefitted from one half of one game more than the rest of the league.

That does not take away from their Superbowl victories whatsoever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Brady had the advantage of Spygate that Montana didn't.
    Posted by wasecl[/QUOTE]
    Prove Spygate and how it helped the Pats!!!  Nothing but fan BS and innuendo!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Montana raised the bar Johnny Unitas set, and Tom Brady has come along and raised it farther than Montana

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]"   Brady has been outplayed, by a hair, but outplayed, by Eli Manning now in two SuperBowls. . 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

I have a problem with the above. How can you say he was out played when both games came down to 2 catches made by one guy who had a very short career in the NFL 3 yrs and a 4th or 5th reciever and another who was the 3rd WR on the team.Yes the Pats/Brady lost but to say he was out played is a stretch

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana. : no he wouldn't
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

As usual you have provided sound logic and thorough reasoning in your reply. No trolling for you but just a genuine attempt at discussion. Well played sir.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana. : and if Brady didn't have Adam Vinetieri he might have zero also...be fair
    So, EVERY team who won a SB by 3 points or less, a FG, should have the win discounted because they had a FG kicker who made a kick or two.  Hmmm... just who led the team down field to get the kicker in the position to kick the FG, the kicker???!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

get brady a freakin running back, please

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

Agreed. Need a reliable, quality RB -- perhaps, the combination of Ridley/Vereen will do the trick.

On the subject of Brady-Montana comparison, another comparison is worth looking at.  John Elway has been deified in most talking heads circles but a look at his season-by-season stats shows that Brady far outpaces him on virtually every dimension - most notably on W/L ratio, TD/Int ratio and passer rating.  True, Elway did go out in style, winning two SBs in his last two years!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting article comparing Brady to Montana. : no he wouldn't

Go back to new jersey, you've extended your stay long enough.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

To me, the difference is that when Montana had less dominant teams he failed to even reach the SB.  Not to diminish Montana, but if some of his other playoff teams had reached the SB his record would show more blemishes.