INTERESTING ARTICLE. WHAT SAY PATS FANS?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Re: INTERESTING ARTICLE. WHAT SAY PATS FANS?

Move big Ben from 1 to 4 with Rogers, Eli and Rivers 1,2,3 and the rest of the list remains pretty much the same for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Aaron Rodgers, then Matt Ryan...thennnn Sam Bradford, thennn maybe (a big leap, but the guy always kept things interesting) Rex Grossman, then back down to a tie with Stafford & Newton, so I can throw Leinart at 5 (b/c he's got the most tread left on anyone I don't hate I guess).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Wow. 02/03 really had some bad 1st round QBs!

I think Newton needs to prove something beyond one year to justify that. PLENTY of players have had a good season, then dropped of significantly. I'm not sold on Newton actually being that good, I expect defenses to game plan for him much, MUCH better this year.

He had his bye in Week 9, dead smack in the middle. Pre-bye he had a 300+ yard game (Week 4), and two 400+ yard games (Week 1 and 2). He had <250 yards only 3 times, and only 1 of those <200 (Week 3).

POST-bye: he hand NO 300+ yard games, nevermind 400+ yards. He was <250 yards in 6 out of 8 games, and <200 for 3 of those. That's the league starting to adjust.

When most rookies really suffered with the lack of off season, he seemed to thrive with no teams able to think about him until half way through the season. I'll be shocked if he cracks 400 yards this season, and be surprised if/when he goes over 300. And that's with consideration to the fact they will be behind, and throwing, a lot.

I can't believe so many 'experts' seemingly weigh his projections based off of the first 4 games. His rookie year could easily be his best ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Oh, and Stafford will climb up that list significantly this year, that's my projection. He was finally healthy, and threw for 5000 yards and is helping to change a culture of losing into something hopeful. Megatron obviously helps.

Rodgers/Eli/Rapelisthburger/Rivers are about equal at this point, Rivers sticking at 4 until he at least gets to a Super Bowl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

By only looking at the first round , you are not getting the whole picture. What about guys like Matt Schaub (3rd round 04), David Garrard (4th round 02), Kyle Orton (4th round 05) Matt Cassell (7th round 05) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (7th round 05). These guys have been more productive than many of the guys on that list. Oh, and Jim Sorgi (6th round 06), who has been a greater value pick than him???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: INTERESTING ARTICLE. WHAT SAY PATS FANS?:
    [QUOTE]By only looking at the first round , you are not getting the whole picture. What about guys like Matt Schaub (3rd round 04), David Garrard (4th round 02), Kyle Orton (4th round 05) Matt Cassell (7th round 05) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (7th round 05). These guys have been more productive than many of the guys on that list. Oh, and Jim Sorgi (6th round 06), who has been a greater value pick than him???
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

It's the whole picture they wanted to look at. First round picks come with more expectations and with more research having been done. There are always later round guys who outperform their 1st round counterparts, but that wasn't the intent of the article.

1st rounders are supposed to be a cornerstone of a team. Later round guys are usually projects, or come with some sort of issue that keeps teams from wanting to make that kind of committment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: INTERESTING ARTICLE. WHAT SAY PATS FANS? : It's the whole picture they wanted to look at. First round picks come with more expectations and with more research having been done. There are always later round guys who outperform their 1st round counterparts, but that wasn't the intent of the article. 1st rounders are supposed to be a cornerstone of a team. Later round guys are usually projects, or come with some sort of issue that keeps teams from wanting to make that kind of committment.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Oh, Definately this- But also, when we do it this way, Eli Manning is a Top 3 Quarterback of this past decade... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Big Ben drops on the likelihood he decides to rape somebody again...  Matt Ryan or Bradford on a better team are the best QB's on the board.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Big Ben drops on the likelihood he decides to rape somebody again...  Matt Ryan or Bradford on a better team are the best QB's on the board.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

with all the picks that the rams gained, therefore a good chance they build a good team, i too was thinking bradford might shoot up.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

definitely Rodgers number one, then probably Stafford, Ryan, and Eli. Right now I think Eli is better than Stafford and Ryan, 2nd best in the league behind Rodgers,  but those guys are a few years younger.

Roethlisberger and Rivers are both very good and Cam Newton looks like he might be too, lets see after another year or two.

The rest of those guys you can keep.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I'd take Matt Ryan. he is the QB i would want to replace TB when that comes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Wheres Brady?  He is better then 90% of those guys. Anywyas. Really Big Ben as #1?? I rather have Newton, Rodgers, Dam i'll even take Bledsoe, lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

The thing i take away most from this is how hard it is to find that 'franchise qb', once you get past 11ish those guys are a crapshoot...get the pick right, and your franchise has hit the jackpot, get it wrong and you could be set back half a decade.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm buying Cam Newton. His passing stats went down in the second half but his winning percentage went up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: INTERESTING ARTICLE. WHAT SAY PATS FANS? : it says FIRST ROUND picks so Brady is not included... as for big ben, newton has played one yr and bledsoe was good-except when it counted, the exact opposite of big ben
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Brady was also 12 years ago...

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to INTERESTING ARTICLE. WHAT SAY PATS FANS?:
    [QUOTE]Twenty-seven quarterbacks have been selected in the first round of the draft over the past 10 years. Around the League ranked them from top to bottom. The core criteria is a mix of career achievement and future potential (for instance, Cam Newton at No. 5? You bet, based on what we've seen and what we expect to see). Rosenthal and I engaged in a furious two-minute debate over IM, shifting some guys around, generating some consensus, disagreeing in other areas. We thought we'd throw it your way. You're an NFL general manager. Who do you want leading your team? Here's our list: 1. Ben Roethlisberger , Steelers (No. 11, 2004) 2. Aaron Rodgers , Packers (No. 24, 2005) 3. Eli Manning , Chargers (traded to Giants) (No. 1, 2004) 4. Philip Rivers , Giants (traded to Chargers) (No. 4, 2004) 5. Cam Newton , Panthers (No. 1, 2011) 6. Matt Ryan , Falcons (No. 3, 2008) 7. Matthew Stafford , Lions (No. 1, 2009) 8. Jay Cutler , Broncos (No. 11, 2006) 9. Carson Palmer , Bengals (No. 1, 2003) 10. Sam Bradford , Rams (No. 1, 2010) 11. Joe Flacco , Ravens (No. 18, 2008) 12. Mark Sanchez , Jets (No. 5, 2009) 13. Alex Smith , 49ers (No. 1, 2005) 14. Josh Freeman , Buccaneers (No. 17, 2009) 15. Jason Campbell , Redskins (No. 25, 2005) 16. Vince Young , Titans (No. 3, 2006) 17. Tim Tebow , Broncos (No. 25, 2010) 18. Rex Grossman , Bears (No. 22, 2003) 19. David Carr , Texans (No. 1, 2002) 20. Byron Leftwich , Jaguars (No. 7, 2003) 21. Matt Leinart , Cardinals (No. 10, 2006) 22. Kyle Boller , Ravens (No. 19, 2003) 23. Brady Quinn , Browns (No. 22, 2007) 24. Joey Harrington , Lions (No. 3, 2002) 25. Patrick Ramsey , Redskins (No. 32, 2002) 26. J.P. Losman , Bills (No. 22, 2004) 27. JaMarcus Russell , Raiders (No. 1, 2007
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Out of the above group, I like Eli. He seems to have a great temperment both on and off the field. But, most of all, he can make all the throws, and has proven to be a clutch performer.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

1. Rodgers
    2. Ben
    3. Eli

who cares about the rest!  Lots of flops taken in the 1st round over the years.

Sections
Shortcuts