Interesting comments from Al Davis on Belichick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Interesting comments from Al Davis on Belichick

This is a link to an interesting article about what Al Davis had to say about the Seymour deal and how Belichick was almost hired as a Raiders coach.For some reason I couldn't cut and paste it.Sorry. 

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?&entry_id=47459

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Re: Interesting comments from Al Davis on Belichick

In Response to Interesting comments from Al Davis on Belichick:
    [QUOTE] This is a link to an interesting article about what Al Davis had to say about the Seymour deal and how Belichick was almost hired as a Raiders coach.For some reason I couldn't cut and paste it.Sorry.  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?&entry_id=47459
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Update: Al Davis steals the show

Richard Seymour is a Raider, but Al Davis stole his show Saturday night. That's fine, because Davis only speaks so often. Seymour gets to do his talking Monday night.

Davis couldn't resist crashing the press conference Saturday where Seymour was introduced as the Raider in No. 92. He wanted to make it clear Seymour always wanted to play for the Raiders.

All of that is covered in the print edition Sunday, which also will pop up at www.sfgate.com soon enough.

Here are some other highlights ... (with updated stuff at the very bottom)

** The Raiders and Seymour are not discussing a long-term contract, Davis said. His deal expires after this season.

And yes, those who saw the live press conference on TV, I got punked by Davis for asking. Live and learn.

** Seymour will play Monday against the Chargers, though no one was willing to say in what role.

** Davis said the Raiders haven't had a great player play the right end in a three-man line since Lyle Alzado. In context, Davis said he's had his eye on Seymour for years as he played in a 3-4 defense. Don't know if this means the Raiders will try some 3-4 with Seymour here, but the games will tell soon enough.

** Davis said all these Patriots deals in recent years involved him and Bill Belichick on the phone, then mentioned he almost hired Belichick in 1999.

According to Davis, team CEO Amy Trask wanted Belichick but Davis wanted Jon Gruden. We all know who won that one.

** Davis thinks right defensive end Trevor Scott will still be "brilliant" but they didn't want him to get "beat up" everydown like he says Derrick Burgess was. Sounds like he'll play as a third-down pass rusher when Seymour bounces inside.

This blog can't handle the 40 minutes of transcript, but here's Davis explaining how the deal went down.

"Well we couldn't do it in February and March cuz if we could have done it, we'd have done it. That's the point. Ever since they were talking to me about Burgess, I've been talking to them about a defensive lineman but I never dreamt, and both Tom Cable and I knew that the one we wanted. You shouldn't tell them this, it's the guy wearing No. 92. They were offering me some other things and it was at the end that I had an idea what happened. One day he said to me about two days before we made the trade, 'Would you be interested in Seymour?' I didn't put the phone down or anything, I said 'Yeah I'd be interested in Seymour.' I said 'What do you want' and he told me what he wanted for him. And I said I would do that. Can we do that now? Bill said to me he has to check with Kraft. I laughed because I thought all coaches had complete ability to do what they wanted. It's only this place where they have to go to the owner if they want to do something. So he said he had to go to Kraft and he came back to me. They changed the deal a little bit and then they gave me the opportunity to make my choice on draft choices what I wanted to do. As you well now in 2010 we have a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds a 4th and two 5ths. We have a lot of choices. I said I'll go with the 1 in 2011. I'll stick with that. That's what you can have. I just wanted to get it done. He said we'd get it done but certain things had to be worked out because he was blindsided. He was hit and I understand that. We've had players that we have done it to unfortunately in the past but we were willing to wait a period of time."

** Lastly, Davis doesn't think much of the NFPLA grievance on Seymour's behalf saying the Raiders had no right to send him a five-day letter to report or face suspension.

"I'm sure that they won't even go through with it. They had nothing. They just wanted to let you know that the Players Association is still available. Whatever we did, we were entitled to do. I wouldn't doubt that they would not file the grievance or pull it off the thing. They can't do anything. I don't even know what your question is other than they filed a grievance. Anybody can file anything. That grievance meant nothing. The rules state that I could do it. I wouldn't have done it otherwise."

** Ok, really lastly, Davis actually defended Randy Moss and mentioned him as one of the trades they've made for great players.

"Randy Moss was great here for us. We couldn't satisfy Randy, that was our fault. He's a truly great player. The idea when you get a great player is to make him happy and satisfy him.

UPDATED ADDITIONS

On Napa's ongoing investigation involving the alleged Randy Hanson assault: "I don't get involved in those things. I don’t know much about it. I don't expect anything to happen. I hope nothing happens, let's put it that way. That’s what we don't need right now."

On Lane Kiffin's loss to UCLA Saturday, including a blown goal-line scoring attempt: "I know Neuheisel. I know the other fella who coaching the other team. I did see the similairites, though, when you get near the goal line."

On progress of DHB and JaMarcus: "Darrius will come around, he'll be great. What's-his-name was called, "oops," Jerry Rice with the 49ers. Couldn't catch the ball. Terrell Owens. Couldn't catch the ball. Fred Biletnikoff, I was going to trade him, then at the last minute I kept him because he couldn't catch the ball. Somehow or other they came around and Darrius will come around, I hope. But JaMarcus missed Schilens for awhile because every time he would be in trouble, if you noticed, you knew where that ball was going, and the other guy would catch it."

More on Chaz Schilens' broken foot: "I'm just shook over Schilens, that bothered me, because he's a great player and he meant a lot to JaMarcus."

On Seymour playing so soon after the trade: "Matuszak played the second year, the second game, in '76. We won the opener. We beat Pittsburgh in a big game here. Franco dropped the ball, and Matuszak came in in the second game and played for us the rest of the year and we won the Super Bowl, and he was a fixture with us. Hendricks didn't play right away. And you know, that's a concern of where he is. He wants to play, and the concern is, are we rushing him? All these things have to be taken into consideration.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

In Response to Interesting comments from Al Davis on Belichick:
    [QUOTE] This is a link to an interesting article about what Al Davis had to say about the Seymour deal and how Belichick was almost hired as a Raiders coach.For some reason I couldn't cut and paste it.Sorry.  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?&entry_id=47459
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I think it's interesting how he said that BB offered other players.  I wonder who they could be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hoier ...Thanks for cutting and pasting the article.For some strange reason,I couldn't do it this morning.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I almost get the feeling like Big Al thinks he is getting the better of Belichick in these deals.  I love Seymour as a player, but if he walks away from the Raiders and they can't resign him or successfully franchise him, this is a BAD deal for them.  You don't give up a #1 for a guy that most likely will not be back, especially when you're rebuilding and that #1 has top 5 potential.  Davis probably thinks they are superbowl contenders.  We'll see what happens with the Burgess trade.  Maybe a # 3 and 5 was too much, maybe not.  At least Al is admitting he got taken in the Moss deal, even if he doesn't come right out and say it.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree the deal was bad and the more I see from Davis I think he is not senile or suffering from Dementia or anything like that, but he is definately not up to the level you need to be to match wits with guys like Belichick, Polian, Pioli, the Tuna, and the other top personel men in the NFL.  
    You can't look at this deal w/o seeing it as a bad deal even if they Franchise him and Sey accepts it. And Even if they sign him Long term I don't see it as a good deal because a #1 like they gave the Pats will be top 10 definately and likely top 5 and Sey is not that good.
    Best case scenario for Raiders is Sey signs long term and they don't over pay for him and he goes on to play 80% of the games over the next contracts length at a high level not neccessarily pro bowl but solid level.-Chance of this happening... 15% and I think that is Generous. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting comments from Al Davis on Belichick:
    [QUOTE]I almost get the feeling like Big Al thinks he is getting the better of Belichick in these deals.  I love Seymour as a player, but if he walks away from the Raiders and they can't resign him or successfully franchise him, this is a BAD deal for them.  You don't give up a #1 for a guy that most likely will not be back, especially when you're rebuilding and that #1 has top 5 potential.  Davis probably thinks they are superbowl contenders.  We'll see what happens with the Burgess trade.  Maybe a # 3 and 5 was too much, maybe not.  At least Al is admitting he got taken in the Moss deal, even if he doesn't come right out and say it.   
    Posted by BrooklineRob[/QUOTE]

Honestly, Seymour has not been as big on the line as he was during his first contract.  In fact, many Pats fans started getting comfortable with him on the sidelines.  If this trade happened earlier (i.e. before the production became mediocre), Pats nation would be peaved!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting comments from Al Davis on Belichick:
    [QUOTE]Teams will now double team him and he'll be even less of a factor on a poor team. Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

This is what any team would want - a defensive lineman to eat up two offensive lineman. How can that be bad? Raiders have a shutdown corner - keep one safety over the top of the opposite reciever, and you have a free defender to blitz while Seymour occupies two lineman. How is that bad?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCox. Show DeweyCox's posts

Thanks for the post.Good read.

Sections
Shortcuts