Interesting NY football anecdote

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Interesting NY football anecdote

After last week, over the past 4 years TCoughlin and RRyan have the same record, and the same amount of playoff wins. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Interesting NY football anecdote

In response to rkarp's comment:

After last week, over the past 4 years TCoughlin and RRyan have the same record, and the same amount of playoff wins. 

I don't think so.  The last 4 years would include the last Giants SB season (4 wins) which is double the number of playoff wins for Ryan (2).   I think Ryan trails Coughlin in wins over that period too.   What was your source for this?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It's true. You don't exactly need a "source" to look up that sort of thing.

Ryan is 36-31 in his four plus years with the NYJ, 4-2 in the PS.

Coughlin in the same period is 36-31, 4-0 in the PS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Fully supports the following claims:

A. The Giants are the most fraudulent "champions" of all time, in any sport.

B. Coughlin and Reece are substantially overrated and the least impressive coach/GM duo to win multiple championships in any sport, ever.

C. Winning a championship is a random factor of luck and qualifying for the playoffs, something the great G-Men have done once in going on 5 years.

I'll also add that, considering all the drama and other nonsense he's had to deal with (some of which is his own doing), Rex is doing OK.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Muz...   your item C is oh so true.

Thinking back over all the past SB winners, how many times did the "best" team win versus the team who just happened to play their best game that day?  For that matter, and I expect to get slammed by 42AND46 here, the Giants in their 2 SB wins over the Pats got the benefit of two ridiculously miraculous plays late in the games to win.  Just goes to show how the bounce of the ball rings so true in the playoffs.  Look at how the Giants got into the SB over the 49'ers simply due to the "bounce" of two muffed punts late in that game.  No muffs, no SB.

It is all history now!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Muz...   your item C is oh so true.

Thinking back over all the past SB winners, how many times did the "best" team win versus the team who just happened to play their best game that day?  For that matter, and I expect to get slammed by 42AND46 here, the Giants in their 2 SB wins over the Pats got the benefit of two ridiculously miraculous plays late in the games to win.  Just goes to show how the bounce of the ball rings so true in the playoffs.  Look at how the Giants got into the SB over the 49'ers simply due to the "bounce" of two muffed punts late in that game.  No muffs, no SB.

It is all history now!

It's true...and we can even apply it to the Pats. If Lee Evans doesn't "drop" (I say that in quotations because I believe it was partially on him and partially due to Sterling Moore making  a good play) and Cundiff does not miss the FG (given this was to tie, not to win), then the Ravens might make the SB that year.

IMO, it's about the team that gets hot at the right time (Giants, Ravens last year) and gets a few bounces in their favor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Ayyy..  we can add the famous "Tuck Rule" game, too, for the Pats. That started the run.  Who knows how the Pats would have fared in subsequent seasons if they did lose that game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It goes on and on, Ravens beating Denver on an inexcusable meltdown by the Denver secondary. Green Bay qualified for the playoffs in 2010 because of a blown call in a game between Tampa Bay and Detroit, otherwise someone else wins that year. There's something like that every year, that's why it's random.

Two number one seeds have won the SB in the last decade, Pats in '04 and Saints in '09. So, of 20 teams that had the best regular season in their conference, only two have won a title. In that same decade, four wild card teams have won a championship. Case closed.

I don't want to hear about how important it is to have a bye week, or that the best team wins the SB. The evidence suggests it's better to be lucky than good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Muz...    we see it every week.  On any given Sunday, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Muz...    we see it every week.  On any given Sunday, right?

Yes. You have to be good enough to get in the playoffs (which often requires luck) and then hope for the best. There's no common denominator among SB winners. It's not a great defense or a great running game or any of that. It's certainly not having the best coach or GM or the best draft picks. Please.

That's why the Pats now 13 year run is so great, because it's so unusual. Nobody else is even comparable. They've just not had a lot of luck recently.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

B. Coughlin and Reece are substantially overrated and the least impressive coach/GM duo to win multiple championships in any sport, ever.

C. Winning a championship is a random factor of luck and qualifying for the playoffs, something the great G-Men have done once in going on 5 years.

I'll also add that, considering all the drama and other nonsense he's had to deal with (some of which is his own doing), Rex is doing OK.

Fully agree with C. above.  I'd need to understand your criteria for A. & B. before saying "all time", "any sport", or "ever".

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm no Goints fan, but boy is this bad.

1. How are their championships fraudulent?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Posts like that are really sad.  "An inexcusable meltdown by the Denver secondary"?  If you think that, it just goes to show your football ignorance.

What do you call it genius? You have the game won and let a receiver beat you on what amounts to a Hail Mary. Poorly timed stumbling attempt to knock down the pass. I'm fairly certain the entire football viewing world saw that play as utter failure by the Denver defense. 

But you apparently have a different take. Please enlighten us. I'm dying to hear this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How many times does this have to be said? Do a search. I'm tired of talking about it. But the short version is they back into the playoffs winning the worst division in football with a 9-7 record, the 25th ranked defense and worst running game in the NFL, get a series of lucky bounces and win a title. That, in the middle of missing the playoffs 4 times in 5 years. They stink.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How many times does this have to be said? Do a search. I'm tired of talking about it. But the short version is they back into the playoffs winning the worst division in football with a 9-7 record, the 25th ranked defense and worst running game in the NFL, get a series of lucky bounces and win a title.That, in the middle of missing the playoffs 4 times in 5 years. They stink.

[/QUOTE]

How do you think a Raiders fan feels about the Patriots 2001 Super Bowl Title?

I could be wrong, but werent the Patriots real fortunate also on a David Patten fumble in Buffalo down the stretch?

Numerous teams in all of sports have had something go their way on the road to a Championship.

Heppnes to the Pats, they won. The Giants, they were lucky. Right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

The reason the Giants had the "worst running game in  the NFL" in 2011 is that their #1 and #2 RBs missed significant time during the RS due to injuries.

It's comparable to the 2013 Patriots passing game without DA and Gronk.

The end of the season is all that matters.   As much as the SB losses to the Giants hurt, there was nothing fraudulent about them.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

I hate the Giants, but we need to give some credit to a dominant defensive line especially in 2007/8.  They did not win by luck alone. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

muz is right

You have to have luck in your side, I would have even just taken a healthy Gronk

But what makes the Pats different is that they have won so much over so long a time - and even without TB went 11-5 and were unlucky not to make the playoffs, Who knows they could have won it all - they were playing as well as anyone at the end of the seasonseason

Look what has happened to the steelers, chargers, colts. maybe Balt can stay in the hunt?

And it's why all the doom and bloomers make me shake my head.

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

How do you think a Raiders fan feels about the Patriots 2001 Super Bowl Title?

I could be wrong, but werent the Patriots real fortunate also on a David Patten fumble in Buffalo down the stretch?

Numerous teams in all of sports have had something go their way on the road to a Championship.

Heppnes to the Pats, they won. The Giants, they were lucky. Right?

[/QUOTE]

Please point out where I indicated that the Patriots were exempt from the notion that it's better to be lucky than good, especially in the playoffs.

What I said about the Patriots in this regard is that no other team has put themselves in a position to win a championship more often, every year but one in fact, in the last dozen going on 13 years. 

I don't think you read well.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

I hate the Giants, but we need to give some credit to a dominant defensive line especially in 2007/8.  They did not win by luck alone. 

The Dlines was the MVP both times not EliEli

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Posts like that are really sad.  "An inexcusable meltdown by the Denver secondary"?  If you think that, it just goes to show your football ignorance.

[/QUOTE]

What do you call it genius? You have the game won and let a receiver beat you on what amounts to a Hail Mary. Poorly timed stumbling attempt to knock down the pass. I'm fairly certain the entire football viewing world saw that play as utter failure by the Denver defense. 

But you apparently have a different take. Please enlighten us. I'm dying to hear this.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, in 2001, the patsies were lucky to shut down the NFLs greatest O, in 2003 the patsies were lucky to get AV into range and in 2004 the patsies were lucky that the Eagles ran out of time.  

You can only play with fire for so long.  The patsie pass D had been giving up yards all day (all season), it was only time before it resulted in another score.  Ever notice how luck only helps other teams, but when the patsies win three SBs by 9 points it was all skill and game plan?

[/QUOTE]

Umm, well we are apparently talking about something completely different. I'll go slow here so you can follow along, okay? Here we go, ready?

I was referring to the game tying catch by Jacoby Jones from Joe Flacco in the last seconds of the divisional playoff game between the Broncos and Ravens last season.  You might recall that? At the time, it was much discussed.

I truly have zero idea what's on your mind. I'm guessing some form of controlled substance. Or it could be you're just developmentally challenged, in which case don't feel bad. It's not your fault. 

Sections
Shortcuts