Interesting Question Posed... Thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Interesting Question Posed... Thoughts?

Listening to Felger and Mazz, someone just called in saying losing Gronk was the best thing that happened to this team because we've been forced to run the ball.

And this guy goes on and on with a yelling rant how running the ball is the way to go and it's what the oline wants to do and how we move the chains effectively.   

But, then Felger asks him a great question: if they Pats are down 17-3 in the first half, so you continue to run? How long into the game if we are sown 2 scores to them?  He answered, until the mid third.   

Now the reason I post this thread is because:

1) this guy could've been rusty lol (nothing against you Russ, just playing around)   

2) the guy is a little crazy for thinking Gronk being out is good. No way that it is, Gronk made everyone around him so much more lethal. And Gronk would be a huge factor this weekend if healthy but anyways   

3) the great point here is: how far into the game do we run it? Say the score is 17-6 2nd Q? I say yes.  21-10 2nd Q? Yes  24-10 3rd Q? Early, yes. Late, no  

So I'm just wondering what the board thinks about this. Saying our offense is scoring only FGs while Denver is putting up TDs, how far do we run the ball into the game if down, if they decide to pound it Sunday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Interesting Question Posed... Thoughts?

i think they will be going to the air with short passes and run most of day. I think you will see a healthy mix. Safe ...time consuming plays. Keep Manning off the field...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

My eyes hurt. Fine print? Are you a lawyer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Listening to Felger and Mazz, someone just called in saying losing Gronk was the best thing that happened to this team because we've been forced to run the ball.

And this guy goes on and on with a yelling rant how running the ball is the way to go and it's what the oline wants to do and how we move the chains effectively.    But, then Felger asks him a great question: if they Pats are down 17-3 in the first half, so you continue to run? How long into the game if we are sown 2 scores to them?  He answered, until the mid third.    Now the reason I post this thread is because: 1) this guy could've been rusty lol (nothing against you Russ, just playing around)    2) the guy is a little crazy for thinking Gronk being out is good. No way that it is, Gronk made everyone around him so much more lethal. And Gronk would be a huge factor this weekend if healthy but anyways    3) the great point here is: how far into the game do we run it? Say the score is 17-6 2nd Q? I say yes.  21-10 2nd Q? Yes  24-10 3rd Q? Early, yes. Late, no   So I'm just wondering what the board thinks about this. Saying our offense is scoring only FGs while Denver is putting up TDs, how far do we run the ball into the game if down, if they decide to pound it Sunday.

Well, I won't hesitate to say that I will always prefer having a healthy Gronk on the field.  However, I am not going to argue that BB isn't finding a way to turn our lemons into lemonade.  While Gronk is out, BB is developing a potentially lethal running threat.  Imagine next season when Gronk returns!  Wow! 

As to your question...I would base the offense on the Bronco's defense.  That is, if they look like they are gearing up to guard against the run then I would utilize play-action and take to the air, and vice versa.  I don't think the Pats should go in with any hard-wired plan in place.  They need to adapt to the situation, as it unfolds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

With the playoffs approaching, the weather getting more inclimate, this team was going to run with or without Gronk, it was built to run and would obviously be better with a huge run blocking tightend/pass catching threat like Gronk. 

They didn't change plans midstream because he got hurt.  BB traded for a 250 pound runningback before the season began because running the ball more was planned prior to last season. 

Just because Jamie Collins has emerged, Blount is running well, Siligia is playing well don't think for a moment we're better because of injury; bar injury this team may have gone undefeated.  Our team is insanely deep, thank the GM.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Will be interesting..the farther behind the PAts get (hypothetical) the more Denver will defend the pass / pressure Brady and concede the run.

As long as the Patriots run formations that do not indicate a pass or run and they are unpredictable with the calls I think they will not get behind.

Also keeping 3rd down less than 5 yards will make it so pass or run is an option there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

My eyes hurt. Fine print? Are you a lawyer?

Sorry Muz, wrote this on my phone and the text is normally huge so I thought I hit tweleve font it switched to like 8...

Fixed it though!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Absolutely not,  with GRONK there would be fewer targets for the dropsy twins Danny and Edelman.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

With the playoffs approaching, the weather getting more inclimate, this team was going to run with or without Gronk, it was built to run and would obviously be better with a huge run blocking tightend/pass catching threat like Gronk. 

They didn't change plans midstream because he got hurt.  BB traded for a 250 pound runningback before the season began because running the ball more was planned prior to last season. 

Just because Jamie Collins has emerged, Blount is running well, Siligia is playing well don't think for a moment we're better because of injury; bar injury this team may have gone undefeated.  Our team is insanely deep, thank the GM.

Agree, if injury free this team had a legit 16-0 shot. That Defense would've been top 5 in the league no doubt.

Also, I know BB traded for Blount but I think if Bill knew BLount would be this effective he would've started him over Ridley immediately.

If Ridley didn't have fumblitis, I don't think we'd be seeing much of anything from Blount outside 5-7 carries a game...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Absolutely not,  with GRONK there would be fewer targets for the dropsy twins Danny and Edelman.  

agree totally, my real question is at the bottom though!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

They won't be giving up on the run and going into open almost all pass catchup mode  until there is 4min left per TD they are behind.

down 14 when 8 min are left in game

down 21...12 min left

down 28 ..1qtr+/- about

although there will be tweeks all along...only way they will get that far behind is turnovers...not game strategy

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

He is arguably the most dominant player in the game today when healthy.  I don't think Gronk being out, in a vacuum, is ever a good thing. 

I'd say the reasoning for saying it's better when he's out is that the byproduct of him being out is a more balanced, back-to-basics style of offensive philosophy.  Over reliance on a good thing is not usually good, big picture.  I'd say there is definitely some truth to that. 

If they'd have the same philosophy when he's in as when he's out, that would be great.   Then stat heads would be saying he's under used so it's a double edged sword...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agree, if injury free this team had a legit 16-0 shot. That Defense would've been top 5 in the league no doubt.

Also, I know BB traded for Blount but I think if Bill knew BLount would be this effective he would've started him over Ridley immediately.

If Ridley didn't have fumblitis, I don't think we'd be seeing much of anything from Blount outside 5-7 carries a game...

If Ridley didn't fumble the ball he would be one of the best runningbacks in the NFL.  It wouldn't matter about Blount, he would still be waiting for his shot but we would still be running heavy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

And this guy goes on and on with a yelling rant how running the ball is the way to go and it's what the oline wants to do and how we move the chains effectively.   

But, then Felger asks him a great question: if they Pats are down 17-3 in the first half, so you continue to run? How long into the game if we are sown 2 scores to them?  He answered, until the mid third.   

1) this guy could've been rusty lol (nothing against you Russ, just playing around)   

2) the guy is a little crazy for thinking Gronk being out is good. No way that it is, Gronk made everyone around him so much more lethal. And Gronk would be a huge factor this weekend if healthy but anyways   

3) the great point here is: how far into the game do we run it? Say the score is 17-6 2nd Q? I say yes.  21-10 2nd Q? Yes  24-10 3rd Q? Early, yes. Late, no  

So I'm just wondering what the board thinks about this. Saying our offense is scoring only FGs while Denver is putting up TDs, how far do we run the ball into the game if down, if they decide to pound it Sunday.

Stop trying to make this trivial pursuit(not you joel). Its never a good thing to lose an All Pro Tight end and Oh, he was a great run blocker as well. The only thing that changed this year is BB went out and found a RB that he coached up and wants to give the ball to now.(BLOUNT) He didnt think too highly of Maroney, Benny, Ridley when the games mattered most.

All this talk about lineman wanting to run block...Oh my! Stop the Presses. Any casual fan SHOULD KNOW THIS but it doesnt mean you do it just to please them at the detriment of losing games because you cant keep pace while the D is giving up chunks of yards and points.....Smh

Wow...we are re inventing the wheel now. Now all these homers think they are genius'  lol  little do they know they are only IN sulting BB by saying he just woke up this year and found out running is the best option....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

To answer your question, it depends.  As long as they're within 2 scores, keep running it into the 4th qtr.  Have to stay unpredictable and physical.  If it comes to pass that unpredictibility goes out the window, losing Gronk will hurt more, obviously.  If the Pats can eliminate turnovers, they should be fine.  even better if they can create 1 or 2 on D or STs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

gotta be Rusty because the logic behind it is silly

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

I don't think it's realistic to expect 6 Rushing Touchdowns every week especially in the Playoffs.   So I believe as many do in that balance is the Key.  If the Pats hand the ball off on every play for the first 3 series and are three and out each time it is only OK if our defense does the same thing to Denver.   If we win 3 to 0 that's fine.  However, this probably isn't realistic either.  So as BB says "it's situational football" and if the situation/defense dictates a run, we run, if pass, we pass. 

And I'll say that in this case, a "One Trick Pony" will probably end up as horse meat.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

If Ridley didn't fumble the ball he would be one of the best runningbacks in the NFL.  It wouldn't matter about Blount, he would still be waiting for his shot but we would still be running heavy.

now how exactly can you prove this?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PestZapper2. Show PestZapper2's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

agree totally, my real question is at the bottom though!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am encouraged with the run game, but not going to get carried away based on a quitting Bills team and an over matched Colts team.

The Pats need to be able to game plan for the team they are playing that week. They cannot play a heavy run against a team that stops the run, and play a heavy pass against a team that stops the pass. Plan each week as each team presents itself, and execute accordingly, with adjustments as needed at half time.

The advatage in these games is BB...use him for that advantage.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

yes agree totally. Bill came into the year thinking Ridley could take 300 carries and give even more production than last year's season.

I still think Ridley is the best runner on this team. runner, though. do i trust him? no.

Blount is a good RB but he seems to not create as much. If you give Blount the hole though, he can do way more damage than Ridley with the homerun threat. Ridley is better at making 4-5 yards at something that wasnt there and a better grind it out back

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The pats are better with Gronk...period.

dont be surprised if on Sunday we see a lot more passing early in the game. Pats got to exploit the depleted and weak Denver secondary. It's there for the taking. Ridley, Vereen and Blount will get theirs Too. I see a much more balanced game in Denver for Sunday early on. If it stays that way will depend in part on the score.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

now how exactly can you prove this?

last year. 280 carries 1200 yards 12 tds.

•  
  • This post has been removed.

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts