Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss

Mike Reiss 
    Interesting factoid on Pats' offense in second half: Of 19 snaps, 15 have come with no RBs on the field. All 3 WR/2 TE.

I am not the biggest fan of the spread or O'Brien's lack of using our RB's. However, we won the game in the 2nd half  and this is something I really didn't notice during the actual game. I think not putting a consistent RB in the game makes us predictable, but sometimes when your that good passing the ball you have to go with what works best for you.

What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss

I think your exactly right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Predictability will kill us in the playoffs, but, is BB setting this up on purpose?  Isn't he known for coming up with surprises?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In Response to Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss:
    [QUOTE]MikeReiss   Mike Reiss   Interesting factoid on Pats' offense in second half: Of 19 snaps, 15 have come with no RBs on the field. All 3 WR/2 TE. I am not the biggest fan of the spread or O'Brien's lack of using our RB's. However, we won the game in the 2nd half  and this is something I really didn't notice during the actual game. I think not putting a consistent RB in the game makes us predictable, but sometimes when your that good passing the ball you have to go with what works best for you. What do you guys think?
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

Did you notice that after the barrage of successful passes in the second half, suddenly the running game (even an end-around) were more successful.  It is what I have been saying all along.  With THIS team, the passing game opens up the running game.  Also, how do you count those two QB sneaks for touchdowns and the one for a first down?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

With two starters injured suddenly on the offensive line, it's better to abandon the run as worthless.  Just overload Miami's fifth pass defender and gun it.  Wait for Miami to put passing personnel on the field before switching back to the run or to the screen pass.  Hernandez can fill in at back if Miami wants to go in that direction.  I guess that Miami, the team without a coach, never tried to adjust.

Then starting Miami cornerback Vontae Davis left, and whoever replaced him had a  kick me sign on his backside.  What's TB to do?

Brady was listed as having 9 rushes in this game.  Curious.  Two were taking a knee, but the rest...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss : What if being unpredictable doesn't work?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]
    We're screwed?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss : Did you notice that after the barrage of successful passes in the second half, suddenly the running game (even an end-around) were more successful.  It is what I have been saying all along.  With THIS team, the passing game opens up the running game.  Also, how do you count those two QB sneaks for touchdowns and the one for a first down? Posted by sheldong[/QUOTE]

Watching those TDs on the ground with Tom Brady going up the middle? I found myself wondering, "Hasn't Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis scored from in close in his career too?"

As I see the Baltimore, Cincinnnati, Houston, Pittsburgh and Tennessee defenses possibly looming during the playoff run I suppose I'll do two things.

1. Hope the Patriots hang enough points by ground and/or air.
    2. Most importantly, I hope the defense can manage "less than explosive" offenses well although Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, Emanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace and Hines Ward scare me.

Pats all the way though! Playing at home counts for something.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

go with what works best.

Attack offense won the game

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

BB did a lot of very intriguing things against Miami. To be unpredictable is to do the opposite of what you normally do, for us that would be running the ball. What BB does is bewilder teams come playoff time. He remembers all the small wrinkles he has tried during the regular season and runs them out come playoff time. He tried it last year against the Jets with that fake punt, but that failed due to execution not gameplanning.

If we lined up Hern at fullback, with Ridely as RB then have Gronk and Solder on the line, we could really run some interesting plays.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Disagree and agree about abandoning the run.

...The predominant way many teams play the Pats from the beginning of the game cannot be sustained because it wears out the defense which means after a point in the game the PAts can play all pass and have success...infact if they want they can also be balanced and have succes...but really the passing will wear out the other team even more because it involves many potential recievers and compells the other team to an exhaustive pass rush almost every play.

however..depending how much the other team hedges towards all pass the Patriots must run the ball in the beginning of the game..sometimes they get it perfect..ie eagles, jets games, ..sometimes not. Last game was an example of not. This offense stubbornly tried to pass and miami was playing all pass (spread or no spread passing will be hard) ...6 punts.brady had no time to even set..this offense should never have 6 punts in a row.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]you know...i'm wondering if miami's D didn't let up a little on coverage in the second half because of the two pi calls?  maybe they figured the officials were going to call it tight so they backed off a little...
    must be the reason our secondary has sucked all year also.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Interesting that the second half was indeed in fact won by the pass (like most of our entire games are)...imagine if we had a consistent running game and defense?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting that the second half was indeed in fact won by the pass (like most of our entire games are)...imagine if we had a consistent running game and defense?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

If we had an "average" defense and an "average" running game, we would be the superbowl favorites.........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss : Or you stick with what has been successful?
    Ok, so why do so many fans complain the team is not running it enough to create balance?  Is the team becoming TOO predictable and passing all the time, which works?  Seems the opinions vary from one extreme to another and opinions do not win games! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

There used to be a lot of arguing over the value and lack of appreciation for BJGE. Looking at this guy statistically (and you really don't need to) he is ranked 28th in rushing yards. The really sad part is that out of the top 50 ranked running backs (and that's a lot of them) there is only two guys in that entire list that has a lower yards per carry average. Try to imagine how little a defense pays attention to our running game with a QB like Brady and the fact that we throw the ball so much; this guy has room to run - he's not skilled enough to take advantage of it. It's great that he doesn't fumble and that he can score from the one yard line, too bad we need more than that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Stat from Mike Reiss : What if being unpredictable doesn't work? Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE] There's no way you could predict that.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

All of our rushing yards and attempts by a starting 1-A runningback came in the 2nd half.  Let's not rewrite history here...

Magically passing worked when the threat of a power runningback entered the picture, maybe unpredictability isn't going to happen starting Danny Woodhead or ANY of our third down backs in the first half?

We've had this conversation already; on offense you can either pass or run, the combination of both creates unpredictability.  Starting Woodhead signals to an opposing defense that you're passing or that you want to pass...   Ridley's ability to run and catch is unpredictable.

25. This post has been removed.