Interesting stat on Pats rushing the passer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Interesting stat on Pats rushing the passer

Saw on the NFC west blog (ESPN) a chart of teams rushing 5 or more on each down. The NFL average for week one the first three downs was 32.6% of the time and the number one team came in at 50% (Arizona.) Where were the Pats - they ranked 32nd at 13.6%. It is only one week and so I don't want to blow this out of proportion but I do find it interesting.

Couple of factors both ways -

1. Going against a second year QB you sort of expect teams to be more of a 'throw the kitchen sink' in terms of pressures (Arizona was going against a rookie for example)

2. Dealing with a fast and explosive RB and a QB who has some running ability there might be fear of losing contain if you commit to blitzing - especially inside the tackles.

Still - with a somewhat suspect defensive backfield applying more pressure up front would seem to make sense. Wonder if we will see more blitzes going forward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Interesting stat on Pats rushing the passer

I think you nailed it in regard to containing Chris Johnson. With a back like that you can't get caught out of position, as he will take it to the house. Gap integrity was the name of the game for the defense. Contain the run game and let Locker try and beat some single coverage. He made a few nice throws up high to Cook, and 1 to Washington before we killed both of them on the same play. Other then that it was a perfect defensive game plan....as usual for the master.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Saw on the NFC west blog (ESPN) a chart of teams rushing 5 or more on each down. The NFL average for week one the first three downs was 32.6% of the time and the number one team came in at 50% (Arizona.) Where were the Pats - they ranked 32nd at 13.6%. It is only one week and so I don't want to blow this out of proportion but I do find it interesting.

Couple of factors both ways -

1. Going against a second year QB you sort of expect teams to be more of a 'throw the kitchen sink' in terms of pressures (Arizona was going against a rookie for example)

2. Dealing with a fast and explosive RB and a QB who has some running ability there might be fear of losing contain if you commit to blitzing - especially inside the tackles.

Still - with a somewhat suspect defensive backfield applying more pressure up front would seem to make sense. Wonder if we will see more blitzes going forward.

Whatever BB did, it was effective.  It was nice to see Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower score a touchdown. 

BB's big defensive worry would be to stop Tennesee's running back.  This they did, generally planting the poor guy behind the line of scrimmage.

This was Jake Locker's first start as QB in the NFL.  I'll suspect that BB was happy enough with rushing 3, as long as they sometimes got home.  BB's scheme almost got 4 turnovers out of Tennessee's passing game, and the defense only gave up 3 points until the game was pretty much over.  That's called maximizing your profits.     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

With the quality of the QB's in Arizona I believe BB won't worry too much about pressuring them a lot and will focus on taking away his offensive weapons. The Pats run defense looks great and the Arizona backs are beat up and jsut not very good, so I really don't think that will be much of an issue. As long as we can get some good penatration at the line our defense should be able to handle the Arizona offense. Fitzgerald will be very tough and require double coverage or help over the top on every play, worst part about this is he will still get his usuall 7-10 catches.

As far as the Pats offense goes, I would welcome the Cardinals rushing that many men. Let Ridley get more touches, get him invloved in the screen game and use those TD's to work the middle of the field and short dump of passes. We will probably see Hern coming out of the fullback or runningback slot to bump a defender and roll out for a pass in hopes to gain some YAC with less defenders up field due to how many men Arizona will rush. The Patriots should work this strategy all first half and then come out in the second half with another play action pass to Lloyd like they did against the Titans last week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's not just containing Johnson though. locker was an extremely mobil QB. It wouldn't shock me if BB wanted to keep Locker in the pocket and completely contain the edges against the scramble and Johnson. Basically saying if they are going to beat us it will be with Lockers arm on scripted plays (which isn't his strength; scrambling and working in broken plays is)

Sections
Shortcuts