not zero catches. Zero targets

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Interesting stat per Reiss

In response to rkarp's comment:

Hartsock 324 snaps last season

zero targets

KARP

So, what does this say to you about what BB is thinking about our offense? Is he content to move away from the TE offense and toward a more traditional passing game/running attack? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hartsock 324 snaps last season

zero targets

[/QUOTE]

KARP

So, what does this say to you about what BB is thinking about our offense? Is he content to move away from the TE offense and toward a more traditional passing game/running attack? 

[/QUOTE]

I think it says a number of things. First and foremost is that there are not enough bodies in camp at the TE spot.

Also, Jones and Watson showed so little that they were replaced by an OL now playing TE and a 10 year vet without a team on 8/10

contrary to reports, Gronk is not cleared yet, and may be limited for the first part of the season

What to make of Williams as he is still here

I still assume that Boyce and Thompkins are on the team at the expense of a 3rd TE

Expect to see a lot of Hooman

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I will be at practice this afternoon and will do my best to follow the TE position 

I was not at practice yesterday, but heard Manieri did not show well

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I will be at practice this afternoon and will do my best to follow the TE position 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Didn't we already have Manieri as a UDFA TE at one point and lost him on waivers? I could be thinking of someone else but for some reason I remember his name.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Didn't we already have Manieri as a UDFA TE at one point and lost him on waivers? I could be thinking of someone else but for some reason I remember his name.

[/QUOTE]

Last time in camp his listed position was OL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

While many here are quick to point out that Thursdays game was "meaningless", I found it interesting that Vollmer lined up at TE half a dozen times( I think it was him via the TV replay)

Maybe the Pats keep 9 OL and use one as that 3rd inline blocking TE. Might make lead blocker Devlin expendable as well

Keeping 3 qb's may be at the expense of a 4th or 5th rb or a 3rd TE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Last time in camp his listed position was OL

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That was it. I couldn't remember if he was a TE coming out we tried to convert to a OL or an OL coming out we tried to convert to a TE.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

While many here are quick to point out that Thursdays game was "meaningless", I found it interesting that Vollmer lined up at TE half a dozen times( I think it was him via the TV replay)

Maybe the Pats keep 9 OL and use one as that 3rd inline blocking TE. Might make lead blocker Devlin expendable as well

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Good point. Though I'm not sure keeping a 3rd QB is because they want the extra insurance at the QB level or because of lack of options at the TE level. They've tried everyone at TE at this point (I half way expect Arrington there next) and none seem to please BB. I still think it was a mistake not targetting a TE in the draft or going after a Chandler, Myers, or even a Daniels. It's not like any of them got paid big money, actually I think all make less than Hooman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Good point. Though I'm not sure keeping a 3rd QB is because they want the extra insurance at the QB level or because of lack of options at the TE level. They've tried everyone at TE at this point (I half way expect Arrington there next) and none seem to please BB. I still think it was a mistake not targetting a TE in the draft or going after a Chandler, Myers, or even a Daniels. It's not like any of them got paid big money, actually I think all make less than Hooman.

[/QUOTE]

Careful. We were criticized for pointing this out a few months ago. 

Could it be you were right and BB wrong?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Good point. Not sure what BB the GM was thinking. Always seemed like a pretty obvious issue to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think two things are going to happen...one, we will continue to sign and cut free agent tight ends at will...two, we most likely won't be featuring much tight end play in the passing game, so this part of the offense will become more of a blocking roll. Gronk of course is the exception, but with his injury I imagine he will be limited for much of this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

BB knows far more than I and is often mostly right about a lot of things. Most of the time BB's action and my thinking overlap but on occasion it doesn't. I really don't want to come out sounding I know better than BB, because I don't, and I get attacked enough by those going to that extreme saying that's what I think. But, BB is human and in the end I do, on occasion, make a call that was the right one to make that BB didn't. To me the TE position this year was one of those clear cut cases that more should have been done, like DL last year (both getting a younger starter and getting a vet rusher), or getting proper backups for injury prone players. This year BB seems to agree with my thoughts from last year since he spent money on quality starters for the secondary, got White for Vereen, Easley (though I don't like his injury history will give him a shot), and Smith but still think we had plenty of cash and draft picks to address either a backup TE or a starting caliber WR to get Brady another weapon. Overall I'm happy with the direction BB took the team. It's what I was begging for last year and got jumped on for (funny how people are now celebrating the moves), I just think he stopped a bit short when he had the means for that 1 extra player or two. Now if Gronk can stay healthy all season the point is moot, but if he doesn't I think we will look back and wonder with all the cap space why we didn't go out and grab that extra FA at reasonable cost. Similar to why we wonder why we didn't grab an extra CB last year at reasonable cost knowing Talib's injury history (which I got killed for suggesting that too).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think two things are going to happen...one, we will continue to sign and cut free agent tight ends at will...two, we most likely won't be featuring much tight end play in the passing game, so this part of the offense will become more of a blocking roll. Gronk of course is the exception, but with his injury I imagine he will be limited for much of this year.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If that's what will happen we better hope the RB's can pick up the slack because this WR core is going to be hit or miss. If Ridley continues with fumble problems and Vereen takes up residence in the hot tub like usual this is going to be a long trying year for the O.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If that's what will happen we better hope the RB's can pick up the slack because this WR core is going to be hit or miss. If Ridley continues with fumble problems and Vereen takes up residence in the hot tub like usual this is going to be a long trying year for the O.

[/QUOTE]

For many here, thats not a problem because the Pats will win the division for the impteenth time in umpteen plus one years

(sarcasm)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

Do we have any personnel on D who can function as a blocking TE with sneaky good hands in a pinch? Vrabel was that guy for us back in the day. Always amazed me at how effective he was (did he just not get any respect and lulled LBs into a false sense of security? Something Fauria, Graham, Watson couldn't do?)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok, folks here it is. Pay close special attention to what rkrap just.did.

He just said "might make lead blocker develin expendable as well"..

This is what rkrap does.  He tries to lure people in by selling speculation and media heresay, and then if he thinks you are gullible, he will drop in 'shocking' info like that.

Develin is not going anywhere.  Reports are brady loves him and he has good hands.

Everyone with a brain, please call out rkrap when he does this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

"Corps"

Don't pull an rkrap and backpedal either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin.
    Show DougIrwin's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Blocking is just as important as catching balls, if this guy or Huey catch a timely pass on a crucial drive in the playoffs I could care less what their career stats look like, no more than I did Jermaine Wiggens.

Fantasy Football give us the idea that rushes, passes, catches are the most important thing, defense is lumped together into one all encompassing point system, but here in the real world someone has to block, someone has to play special teams, not everyone can be the focus of the offense and more importantly variety is the key to guile and trickery.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blocking is just as important as catching balls, if this guy or Huey catch a timely pass on a crucial drive in the playoffs I could care less what their career stats look like, no more than I did Jermaine Wiggens.

Fantasy Football give us the idea that rushes, passes, catches are the most important thing, defense is lumped together into one all encompassing point system, but here in the real world someone has to block, someone has to play special teams, not everyone can be the focus of the offense and more importantly variety is the key to guile and trickery.

[/QUOTE]

Point taken

If Hartsock is here for blocking only ( not sure if he plays ST)....would the roster be better served by keeping Boyce (WR and KR) or Connolly (G,C)

and every now and then line up Solder or Vollmer at blocking TE and give Cannon some T snaps?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Wozzy it's not all about fantasy football when talking O. Lets face it the TE core has let us down in the playoffs and the total TE corp hasn't provided anything once the weather gets cold. If this guy is a pure blocking TE what's the difference between him and carrying and extra OL for that position? What we've been lacking is the threat of a TE catching a pass in the playoffs which has lead to teams stacking the box and beating up on our smaller WRs at the line. Saying we need a weapon at the TE position for the playoffs isn't fantasy football it's what we've sorely been lacking year in and year out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Oh I get the theme now. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

One All Pro tightend is in jail, the other has had his knee blown out, I'm not sure anyone saw that coming... but nobody here can deny that we have a lot of money tied up in tightends and it's highly likely we won't do a lot of big spending there nor should we.  

Solder at TE in a pinch is better than Justin Jones who can't block.  No team has Pro Bowl players at the end of their bench waiting for a chance.  The tightend position has not "let me down" anymore than the rest of the team has in the post season, injury is the main reason why and this is not exclusive to the Patriots.  

We haven't been lucky enough, but we've had plenty of talent in relation to the rest of the NFL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Hartsock sounds like Matthew Slater at the TE position.    Slater is the secret weapon WR that only gets thrown to in key playoff games.