Interesting stat.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Interesting stat.

Only one AFC QB manged to throw for more yards last season than our defense allowed in the air.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Interesting stat.

Q: what is 32nd, 31st and 29th.
    A: Packers, Patriots and Giants defensive passing stats last year.
    Observation: meaningless stat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting stat.:
    Q: what is 32nd, 31st and 29th. A: Packers, Patriots and Giants defensive passing stats last year. Observation: meaningless stat.
    Posted by digger0862

Meaningless? Are you saying those teams had good records because their D was actually good rather than that they had among the best offenses in the league?

To say the yards a defense allows is meaningless is a rather startling assertion. Do you have any other source than your opinion to back up that notion?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Q: what is 32nd, 31st and 29th. A: Packers, Patriots and Giants defensive passing stats last year. Observation: meaningless stat.
    Posted by digger0862

The 3 teams that had the most passing yards and scored the most points, Packers, Pats and Saints, also gave up the most passing yards. Related stats? I think so. When you score alot of points and your opponents are generally behind, they tend to throw more against you and you give up more yards. Also, the stats don't consider that when you are often way ahead, quite often your defense is playing prevent, just trying to keep the play in front of them and not give up a quick score. Giants were right up there in passing yards for/passing yards against as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

Posted by digger0862

actually, digger, that doesn't seem meaningless at all!

1. What about the Giants defensive passing stats, after their injured linemen returned?
    2. What about Giants defensive passing stats against Pats and Packers??

It certainly looks like that stat made all the difference

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Meaningless? Are you saying those teams had good records because their D was actually good rather than that they had among the best offenses in the league? To say the yards a defense allows is meaningless is a rather startling assertion. Do you have any other source than your opinion to back up that notion?
    Posted by BabeParilli

I was actually refering to your stat being meaningless but I'll stick by the source I gave in my post above about the Packers, Patriots, Saints and Giants being among the elite teams in the NFL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The 3 teams that had the most passing yards and scored the most points, Packers, Pats and Saints, also gave up the most passing yards. Related stats? I think so. When you score alot of points and your opponents are generally behind, they tend to throw more against you and you give up more yards. Also, the stats don't consider that when you are often way ahead, quite often your defense is playing prevent, just trying to keep the play in front of them and not give up a quick score. Giants were right up there in passing yards for/passing yards against as well.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111

Last year was odd in that the league was divided into the haves and have nots. The Steelers, Texans, Ravens and 49ers were among the haves and the Patriots, Packers, Saints and Giants were among the have nots.

Which group was better?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting stat. : I was actually refering to your stat being meaningless but I'll stick by the source I gave in my post above about the Packers, Patriots, Saints and Giants being among the elite teams in the NFL.
    Posted by digger0862

I didn't say it was meaningful. I said it was interesting.

What might be more meaningful is that our defense allowed nearly 30% more yards by the pass than the average NFL team threw for.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting stat. : Last year was odd in that the league was divided into the haves and have nots. The Steelers, Texans, Ravens and 49ers were among the haves and the Patriots, Packers, Saints and Giants were among the have nots. Which group was better?
    Posted by digger0862

The Steelers, Texans, Ravens and 49ers did not "have" an elite QB putting up big numbers.

But then, nobody would have been shocked if any of those teams won it all (well, not Texas without a real QB).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting stat. :  As far as naming or dubbing those teams elite it because they have QB's that own a combined 7 SB rings. Bottom line is in today's NFL in order to reach and win the SB you need an elite QB. The D just need to hold opponents 3rd down conversions to under 40% and be a plus 10 or better in the give/take dept. IMO 
    Posted by jri37

Holding teams under 20 points isn't bad either, especially when the opposing QB is one of the elite you just mentioned, and had 2 1,000 yard receivers with 20 td's? Last I checked the goal was to out score your opponent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting stat. : Holding teams under 20 points isn't bad either, especially when the opposing QB is one of the elite you just mentioned, and had 2 1,000 yard receivers with 20 td's? Last I checked the goal was to out score your opponent.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Lat time I checked, when your D can't get off the field to save their lives and that limits the possessions of your team's strength which is offense, you're probably going to lose.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think passing yards given up is an interesting and relevant stat but it has to be placed in context.  If a team is surrendering a lot of passing yards and also sux on offense then it's pretty revealing.  If, on the other hand, you've got a pretty potent offense and the other team is playing catch-up then, as has been stated, you'll be playing a lot bend-don't-break. 

It would be nice to see the potent Pats offense complemented by an increasingly stingy D as the season wears on.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Here are some more interesting stats.

Post season ppg allowed in 2011...

Saints 38.5

Steelers 29

49ers 26

Packers 20

Ravens 16.5

Patriots 16.3

Giants 14.5

Our defense suks though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

interesting stat:

The patriots came in second out of 32 teams last year.

The patriots are currently the favorite to come in first this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Here are some more interesting stats. Post season ppg allowed in 2011... Saints 38.5 Steelers 29 49ers 26 Packers 20 Ravens 16.5 Patriots 16.3 Giants 14.5 Our defense suks though.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Spin away Truechump.

Let's try the Niners D. Vs the Saints they faced 15 drives, vs the Giants the same. The Pats' D faced 8 in the SB. The Niners averaged giving up 1.73 points a drive. We averaged 2.37 a drive in the SB.

Care to look at any more, phoney?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

interesting stat: The patriots came in second out of 32 teams last year. The patriots are currently the favorite to come in first this year.
    Posted by ChasaB

Must have been that 31st ranked D that got them there, eh?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting stat. : Spin away Truechump. Let's try the Niners D. Vs the Saints they faced 15 drives, vs the Giants the same. The Pats' D faced 8 in the SB. The Niners averaged giving up 1.73 points a drive. We averaged 2.37 a drive in the SB.  Care to look at any more, phoney?
    Posted by BabeParilli

Come on now, this is a little oversimplified. Two of the 'drives' the Saints had were possessions when they got the ball back with 12 seconds left in the first half, and 3 seconds left in the game. If you count the 13 real drives the Saints had, they averaged 2.46 points per drive vs. the Niners. And the game against the Giants was in a driving rain and wind storm which featured 22 punts (thats an average of more than one every three minutes). There was very little the offenses could do in that storm.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Insert Picture of a Dead Horse
    Insert Picture of someone beating it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting stat. : STerling Moore and Spikes say "YEAH!" after the AFC title game. So, yeah. How many more times are you going to start these threads here, selfishly, ruining this board, simply because you're jumping through hoops to defend Brady to such an insane degree here? We all knew that was a rebuilt base of a D that was very young with injury problems, but once Spikes and Chung returned, the "31st ranked" D DID get them to the SB. As Brady said he "sucked pretty bad".  Yep. Usually, he answers so well after his bad games, but he didn't in the SB. 
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

Amen to that!

Sections
Shortcuts