Interesting take on Pats cap position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Interesting take on Pats cap position

Well, Mankins name is in with that special group so I don't know how he couldn't but help but save on the cap.  Where did this come from?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Ahhhhhhhrcarp was just lecturing me on if I bothered to read the article. I read it again and can't see where we eat Mankins money if we cut em'

That's all

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

rkarp...  the bean counters of the Patriots know pretty well what they need to do and BB knows who he will want to keep, trade or let go. There will be many decisions that will make fans happy as there will be many that simply make us go "what the f***!!!"  Of all the decision to be made, IMHO, Tom Brady is the most sacred cow in the house.  He will not go anywhere and has no reason to.  Yes, some here will point to Peyton Manning as an example of a supposed sacred cow that was let go, but, Peyton had injury issues and the Colts needed to move on without any question marks.  Presently, Brady has no question marks whatsoever regarding his health and play abilities.  He may not be a spring chicken, but, most QBs in the league would give their "left n*t" to play like Brady is playing now at age 36.  Overall, the team has holes to fill, a "real" WR and improved defensive backfield..  we shall see in the upcoming months leading to training camp.  The Pats have millions to spare, more than most teams in the upper echelons of the league.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

No.  How you decipher information is up to you.  I will not read into 15 mill under cap as a bad thing regardless of who is signed or not.  Sorry.  BB is the best at getting bargin priced players just fine.  They still have their best players on each side of the ball with room to get better.  All they HAVE to do is sign Talib or a number 1 corner.  You saw the difference that did.  

They have a real returner in Demps coming back.  Ballard bolsters out TE position.  The team is already better than last year if they can sign Talib.  That's what I see.  Then they have 3 picks in the first 3 round.  

Not concerned about the future of this team in the littlest bit.   

Of course being 15 mil under is not a bad thing, but it needs to be put in the right context. We have 15 mil to spend, but we currently have a roster of 39 players.  If we opt to try to keep Welker and his 100 + catches, that's 11+ mil.  If we want to keep Talib, that's 8+ mil a year.  I think Jason McCourty just got about that much, so Talib we be able to get that.  Pretty quickly, that 15 million is gone.  Like the Jets, we have a lot of money tied up in our top 3 or 4 paid players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Can somebody read this and give me the Cliff's Notes version? 

1. Gunty 42/46 is a moron delight.  His own GM has tried to copy BB and he mocks what BB does.  Yet, his own team missed the playoffs outright with a .500 record.

Priceless.

2. RKarp is utterly clueless when it comes to understanding finances.  He selects a wishful thinking-tinged anti-Pats based synopsis of what is otherwise widely considered incredible cap position for a very young team knocking on the SB door on an annual basis now.

He suggests he'd like to provide the Bills and Dolphins cap situation, but not the Jets.  Funny how he wants to not provide the dire Jets situation in this discussion, as he provides us with a very poorly analyzed Pats cap situation. Hmm.

This, on the heels of Revis being "shocked" he will be traded.   RKarp still can't figure it out.  If our best player needed a new deal while being 20 mil over the cap currently, an entire defense to fix, a new GM, no QB, a lame duck head coach, etc, this board would blow up.  RKarp's hypocrisy and lack of intellect cannot be made up. It just can't.

Keep in mind he claims he went to Tufts and has an MBA from Harvard. bawhaa

3. Everyone else but RKarp and MtHurl can see how great a position NE is in heading into 2013 and beyond before the cap rises in 2015.

Translaton: Nothing has changed. The trolls who pose as Pats fans will still have a see through agenda while the rest of us call them out with ease.

You seem to think that you have some insight into the cap workings of the NFL.  If that was the case, you would know that the odds of Revis being traded anywhere are unlikely at best. One, they would have to find a team willing to give up something more than a 2nd rounder for a CB coming of knee surgery, to have his rights for this year only. Two, they would have to be willing to take his entire cap hit this year from his 7 year contract to have him play for another team.  A far more likley scenario would be to trade Cromartie who is coming of a great season and under contract for a couple more years at market value.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Ahhhhhhhrcarp was just lecturing me on if I bothered to read the article. I read it again and can't see where we eat Mankins money if we cut em'

That's all

We gave Makins a 20 mil dollar signing bonus and 30 mil in gauranteed cash.  So far he's counted 7 mil on our cap.  Over the course of 5 years, it would cost us 23 mil to cut him now, half of that this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

In response to Frank158's comment:

No.  How you decipher information is up to you.  I will not read into 15 mill under cap as a bad thing regardless of who is signed or not.  Sorry.  BB is the best at getting bargin priced players just fine.  They still have their best players on each side of the ball with room to get better.  All they HAVE to do is sign Talib or a number 1 corner.  You saw the difference that did.  

They have a real returner in Demps coming back.  Ballard bolsters out TE position.  The team is already better than last year if they can sign Talib.  That's what I see.  Then they have 3 picks in the first 3 round.  

Of course being 15 mil under is not a bad thing, but it needs to be put in the right context. We have 15 mil to spend, but we currently have a roster of 39 players.  If we opt to try to keep Welker and his 100 + catches, that's 11+ mil.  If we want to keep Talib, that's 8+ mil a year.  I think Jason McCourty just got about that much, so Talib we be able to get that.  Pretty quickly, that 15 million is gone.  Like the Jets, we have a lot of money tied up in our top 3 or 4 paid players.

You can't compare other CBs salaries in different markets. The market is cotinually changing. The amount of quality CBs in FA hurts Talib, as does his chekered past, not to mention this is the best enviornment for him to play in with his agent knowing it.

I can see 6 for him, but no more. Welker is gone. Once they paid Hernandez, that was it for Welker, long term here.

I would not be srprised if Wilfork or even Mankins did some restructuring as well.  Vollmer will also not be overpaid.

Maybe Talib would take 6, but I doubt it.  He showed this year that he can be a good little soldier and that he was the difference between a really bad pass D and a decent one.  Maybe Mankins will restructure, but that's just kicking the can down the road like we did with Brady.  Decent corners are a hot commidity in the NFL and few teams have even one.   The only one better than Talib on the FA market this year is Grimes.  Talib will get paid by someone.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Bills cap article

Each week I am going to try to do a cap overview of the other teams in the division and so we will start with the Buffalo Bills. 

Per my estimates the Bills currently have 54 players under contract in 2013, the top 51 of which should account for about $109.7 million towards the salary cap with another $1.9 million on the books for dead money on the year. This includes a not likely to be earned incentive for George Wilson that I believe will count towards the salary cap in 2013 since his playing time is so high. That would place the Bills with about $9.3 million in cap space once the new league year begins. The Bills should be able to carry over around $9.8 million from 2012 to come into the league year with $19.1 million in cap room. John Clayton reported $20.6 million which probably does not include the Wilson incentive, but Id say its safe to estimate that $19-21 million is the correct range as of today. 

A number of Bills have escalators in their contracts that may have been earned in 2012. These players include Alex Carrington, CJ Spiller, Eric Wood, George Wilson, and Kyle Williams. I would just based on draft status alone that Spiller, Carrington, and Wood will earn their escalators which should eat into the cap room and increase the cash spending for the team by just over $3.5 million. Wilson plays enough to where should earn an additional $900,000 escalator as well to bring the total to $4.4 million. Williams is a higher talent player and likely needed a Pro Bowl to earn his escalator. The team will also need to account for draft picks which will eat up a few million in cap space. The first two picks should take up $2.4 million once you account for players they replace, so the real number for Buffalo is probably going to be closer to $14 million in spending room once all is said and done.

Now whenever you talk about the Bills you also need to talk about cash budgets and cash spending as most years that is their limiting factor. The Bills try to match their cap and cash spending and right now my estimates have them at around $90.6 million in cash spending. Their first two draft picks should cost the Bills $9,572,924 in bonus money, plus those additional escalators and we are really closer to $104 million in real money even if it does not yet show on the books. The question is will that be enough for Buffalo to work with? The League now mandates that a team spend 89% of the cap over a 4 year period, which for this season will be around $107.6 million. Will that be the Bills target or will they aim for 89% of their adjusted cap which will bump the figure to $116.6 million? Will they simply aim for the adjusted cap figure? That answer is really important when you try to forecast the Bills plans. The Bills have a number of free agents that they will likely want to re-sign which will potentially make the team need to trim those cap figures. Right at the top of the list is S Jairus Byrd. Byrd is arguable the best safety in the NFL which means he is in line to match the 5 year $40 million dollar contract received by Eric Weddle of the Chargers. Weddle received $14 million in compensation in the first year of the contract. Both of those numbers are likely going to be too high for Buffalo this season so I would expect them to use the franchise tag for $6.478 million on him. That will save Buffalo on their cash budget which may be more important to them. Andy LeVitre is one of the better Guards in the NFL which should mean a deal worth between $6 and $7 million a year. Leodis McKelvin may have a future in Buffalo as well as some other secondary tier free agents the team has. I think the point here is that the team needs to do some work in order to make sure they have the ability to keep their free agents they need to keep as well as improve a bit in free agency. So here are some of the options:

I would think the first move would be the release of DE Chris Kelsay. The Bills have far too much money invested in their defensive front and Kelsay is the least important of all of them. Last year Kelsay produced all of 14 tackles and 2 sacks and is set to count for $4.975 million against the salary cap, of which $4.575 million is due in cash. His dead money is minimal and will save the team $4.175 million in cap room. He has a bonus due on the 7th day of the league year so expect him to be released quickly. 

WR Brad Smith should either be released or have his contract renegotiated. His cap charge of $3.75 million ranks 11th on the club but he only plays about 30% of the teams offensive snaps and has less than 300 offensive yards for the team. He did have one kick return for a score, but I would think the money would be better allocated to keeping McKelvin, who is the better return guy and has more upside, than keeping Smith. Releasing Smith would free up $2.75 million in cap room and $3.25 million in cash. At the least I would think they should bring his base salary down from $2.75 million to around $1 million, which is more in line with what he would earn if he was released. His $500,000 roster bonus is due the third day of the league year. 

CB Terrence McGee agreed to a paycut this past season and is basically finished. He has had a long career and it might be time to retire a Bill. Releasing McGee saves the Bills $2.1 million in both cash and cap charges. 

DE Mark Anderson was a poor signing from the start, IMO, overpaying off one year and ignoring the general history of the player. Anderson was ineffective for a small part of the year and injured for most of it. While I do not have the specifics of Anderson’s contract in terms of due dates I believe the only part of his contract that was guaranteed was his signing bonus and his 2012 base salary. He has an option due in 2013 for $1.5 million and I cant see any reason to pick that number up. If they pick up the bonus Anderson will cost the Bills $4.5 million in cap and $4 million in cash. Releasing him before the option should save the team all of the cash charges. While it creates no cap room what it does is move Anderson off the books for 2014 when the Bills will need to be spending to extend players like Spiller. If you wait until 2014 you will carry $4 million in dead money for no good reason. 

Like Anderson, releasing QB Ryan Fitzpatrick offers little in terms of cap relief (only $450,000) but the cash relief is significant. Fitzpatrick was a signing that never made any sense other than from the standpoint of trying to send a good message to the fans about the teams pocketbook. The problem is that he is a journeyman QB being paid average starter money. Cutting him frees the team of a $7.45 million burden on the books in 2013. More importantly it gets him off the cap sheets in 2014, where he would carry a $7 million dollar dead money charge. 

Now all of that being said, cutting Fitzpatrick does leave the Bills with no QB on the roster so cutting him is contingent on them having another option in place for the team prior to the draft. Fitpatrick is due a $3 million dollar roster bonus on the 2nd day of the league year so the Bills cant wait to see what happens in the draft. Fitzpatrick, if he could count down on turnovers, is serviceable and might be able to also tutor a young player. Before releasing Fitzpatrick it is probably worth sitting down with him and coming to an agreement on a more realistic salary for him. If I am the Bills I am using that $7 million dead money charge in 2014 as my bargaining chip. I am telling his side that if we are going to possibly have that money hanging over our head we need significant cap relief in 2013 to balance it out. I would think bringing his cash number down to a fully guaranteed $3 million is more than what he would make in free agency and be a fair mark for both sides. On his original deal he made $3.22 million in 2011 so the figure should be fair. Such a move saves the Bills $4.45 million in both cash and cap. 

All in all if the Bills were to release all of those players the cap savings would be $9.475 million and the Bills would free up $21.375 million in cash for spending to improve the team. If they go the restructure route they will save even more in cap, somewhere around $12.5 million, and around $17.4 million in cash. That is more than enough to keep the free agents they want and maybe grab one or two more in free agency. While I don’t know nearly as much about the Bills performance as I would the Jets I do think that this is a team that provides an excellent example of why high reported cap figures in January do not always mean that a team can take it easy and sail into free agency. 

I believe the Bills are similar to the Jets in that they are a team held back by the QB position. I would actually expect them to target similar players that the Jets might such as Alex Smith and Matt Moore and likely gauge interest before making a final decision on Fitzpatrick. Where they will likely have an advantage is that they should be able to clear up more money to spend and can point to a few better skill position players to the make the transition easier than it would be in New York. That makes this an intriguing offseason because I can see them going head to head in free agency on a number of positions both on offense and defense, where the Jets Defensive Coordinator is taking over. 

My own opinion is that the Bills went way too deep on their defensive line last year completely throwing any analytical analysis out the window, but they can fix that with the release of Anderson and Kelsay. Mario Williams is overpaid but it is not as if he is not talented. He is a very good player he just never has been nor never will be the best defensive player in the NFL, which is how they paid him. You throw a decent QB in the mix and get your finances in order to bring in a better LB, CB, WR2, etc…and you have a team that is going to contend for the playoffs. If they are content with the status quo and chase the sunk costs in some of these other players they will likely be not much better than they were this previous season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Phins cap article

Each week I am going around the AFC East with a look at the teams roster and salary cap situation. This week is the Miami Dolphins. I find the Dolphins to be a fascinating team to watch this offseason, even moreso in light of their owners recent comments about how it finally feels like his team. The salary cap is clearly not an issue with the team as my estimates have them at about $44.561 million under their adjusted salary cap figure for 2013. That should be 3rd or 4th most in the NFL and that is without making any additional cuts or restructures. 

I admit to being completely dumfounded at the way Miami has built their football team. Their long term planning and commitment is completely non-existent. Most teams eliminated from the playoffs have well over 51 players under contract for 2013. Miami sits at 47. Most teams that would be considered on the rise have a portion of a roster in place for 2015. Miami has 9. In the last few years they have wasted cap space on bad franchise tag decisions, short term commitments to decent players, and dragging of feet on contract extensions. It’s just strange. At one point I assumed that Jeff Ireland had no real power or that Ross really wanted to sell the team if he couldn’t get a stadium. But I really have no idea. Now that Ross seems to be embracing it maybe this is the year they go wild. 

Miami’s salary cap strategy will be very interesting. Because they have no real long term commitments they can use this offseason to really determine the way they want to run the salary cap. The way they have been run makes me think that they want would ideally be best suited to following the Tampa Bay Buccaneers cap blueprint. This strategy consists primarily of avoiding the prorated bonuses, using large two year cash guarantees, and essentially being a cap equals cash type of team. For a team with cap room like the Dolphins this allows you to bring in 2 or 3 big ticket free agents that will not compromise their long term flexibility. Going the more traditional route the team could bring in 4 or 5 big ticket players if they so desired. 

Now none of this means the Dolphins will actually be active in free agency this year. They may decide the crop of players is not good enough or that they don’t have the internal budget to make these deals. One of the misconceptions I have seen on the internet as it pertains to the Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills is the feeling that they have to spend at least $107.6 million in cash this year because of the new cash minimums that take effect in the CBA. There are two things that people are not realizing with these rules. First is that the cash payments are grouped in 4 year buckets, in this case from 2013 to 2016, and they are not year by year mandated spend. What that means is if the Dolphins feel they don’t want to spend this year they don’t have to. They can wait all the way until the end if they want to make up for lower than minimum yearly spending. 

Secondly the penalty is not severe. You don’t lose draft picks. It doesn’t seem like you lose cap room. The only negative is that you post pay the shortfall to all the players who were on your team in the years you failed to make the minimum payment. So in that case it’s insurance. Why overpay for a player just to meet a minimum and get stuck with years of payments you don’t want to make to him? A team may want to maintain flexibility and a low payroll and just deal with the consequences after the 2016 league year when they have to cut a check to their former players. 

One of the things the Jets fans won’t want to hear is that Miami arguably has a better defense than the Jets. The run defense is far superior. While the pass defense is not as good it is passable and they have the ability to rush the QB through Cameron Wake. In terms of stinginess I had them ranked 6th in the NFL in terms of points allowed, with their opponents being held to 12.64% below their adjusted average. The last two years they have had a playoff caliber defense and really wasted them with poor play from the QB position. In 2011 it was Chad Henne and in 2012 it was Ryan Tannehill. It’s understandable with the rookie, but had the Dolphins started Matt Moore for 16 games the last two years they would have made the playoffs in at least one if not both seasons. Obviously at this point now they are only going to play Tannehill so I think the mission for Miami becomes finding the most talent possible to surround him with. 

On offense there are a number of free agents who were starters on this past years Dolphins team. The names include LT Jake Long, WR Brian Hartline, WR Reggie Bush and TE Anthony Fasano. Long is the most interesting because he comes from a high pedigree and was dominant his first few years in the league but the last two years he has been one of the worst starting left tackles in the NFL. He is constantly getting injured and the last two years has finished the year on IR. The fact that Miami has not extended him likely means they are finished with him and they already drafted that insurance policy in Jonathan Martin this past season. Despite Long’s fall from grace he is still going to have a team pay him big money. While it won’t be Joe Thomas money he should still earn in the ballpark of someone like D’Brickashaw Ferguson of the Jets or Trent Williams of the Redskins. That’s around $10 million a season with either rolling guarantees or a moderate guarantee around $18 million. Miami could also consider more dependable options like Ryan Clady or Branden Albert and them move Martin to Right Tackle. They could also keep Martin on the left side and make a play for Andre Smith of the Bengals to play the right side. 

Bush and Fasano cost the team $6 million and $4.375 million in cap last season, both I believe ranking 11th which is far too high, especially in Bush’s case. If Bush is back it should be at a lower cap number. If they re-sign him I’d think it will be a 3-4 year deal around $4 million a season maybe a touch less, though I have not really sat down and evaluated him. Fasano is a very underrated player and I think is a must keep. He is a very effective blocker and is good enough to grab more than a few passes thrown his way. Im not too sure of what his value would be since he is a different type of tight end than most but if they had no other franchise tag options the tag for Tight Ends is under $6 million so I could see going that route. I could see them using the less used transition tag in order to let him go find another deal and then they can make the attempt to match it. If nobody bites they could have Fasano for another year around $5 million. As they wait for Tannehill to develop I could see that being a smart option. If both will be back they were players that should have just been extended last season. I know Miami tries to sell the fact that the new carryover rules make it pointless to extend early, which is true to some extent because you don’t want a player to get injured in week 15 right after you sign him to a 5 year deal, but there are plenty of benefits to it as well. One is that you can lower the cap charges in essence making that carryover larger. Secondly, for players on their third deals or with injury history, its always better to get the prorations out of the way early to make it easier to cut them when they become ineffective. Look at it this way. If they had extended Jake Long in 2011 they probably could have walked away in 2014 if not 2013. Now they will look at an extension starting in 2013, pretty much locking him in until 2016 which obviously makes this a way more complex situation now. 

Defensively I would see Sean Smith and Randy Starks as must keep players. Smith could be given the franchise tag to keep his exclusive negotiating rights, though I think that pricetag is way too steep for Smith and he would run to sign his tender. I think that could lead to the same situation they had with Paul Soliai in which they got stuck on a tag number that was incredibly high compared to the free market value of the player. Jason McCourtys $8.6 million per year deal from the Titans is going to be the new deal everyone looks at as the new barometer for the first time free agent tier 2 cornerbacks. McCourty got $17 million guaranteed over 5 years and could likely be moved from the team after just two years. The approximate franchise tag is a guaranteed $10.6 million for just 1 year. That’s why I would advise against it. Too much money for the value of the player. 

With all the money the Dolphins have at their disposal I think they need to look for at least one if not two wide receivers. The names everyone will mention are Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, and Mike Wallace. I have to think Bowe and Wallace will get Vincent Jackson type money so you could be looking at a $26 million dollar payout over two years. WR’s are worrisome because there are plenty who get their money and never play well again, ala Roy Williams and Santonio Holmes. Others do very well. For that reason I like the Buccaneer style deal for the position and if they player does well then you have the option of prorating future money, which is exactly what Tampa just did with Jackson. Id be stunned if Miami does not come away with one of these players. I think if it was up to me I’d go hard after Bowe and Jennings and consider re-signing Hartline if the price is right. You can always cut Davone Bess and get $2.683 in cap relief at the position to keep the spending from climbing too high at the position. 

Defensively I could see the Dolphins looking at a new safety to replace Chris Clemons. LaRon Landry could be had from the Jets and the draft is always an option. They need an outside linebacker and probably another defensive end. I don’t think there are any worthy OLBs in free agency that would make anyone take notice but they could look at veteran players like Osi Umenyiora or Israel Idonjie to pair up with Wake. With Wake on one end I could see those types of players really having great seasons rushing the passer. 

While I doubt that Miami will look for cap relief they do have a few places to go, especially if they are simply interested in saving money. Cutting Richie Incognito saves the Dolphins $4.3 million in both cash and cap dollars, making him a clear target for release as they beef up the offensive line with younger players… I could see the team needing to make a decision between Richard Marshall and Dimitri Patterson. Both save the team $4.6 million in cash if cut while Marshall saves the team just over $3.4 million in cap dollars and Patterson the full $4.6. That money can go towards a legit extension for Smith…. Releasing K Dan Carpenter creates an additional $2.7 million in cap room and cash money. He cost the Dolphins at least two games last year. Probably more in line for a pay cut than a release, but there is no reason to pay him that money next year… I’ve also already mentioned the possibility of moving Bess if they can get WRs here. 

The Dolphins will save $6.25 million in cash and $3.925 million in cap by cutting Karlos Dansby. Dansby is way overpaid but with all the cap room the team has I don’t think they will cut him. He is under contract until 2014 and I think a smart move is to try to get him to take about $2 million off his cap number and meet them in the middle. They can throw that $2 million into his 2014 cap year as a roster bonus to ensure that he is released prior to free agency. Right now all his money in 2013 and 2014 is base salary which means he could be stuck on the Dolphins through August if they are not concerned about cap figures and then released. To a player like Dansby that is a death sentence because teams don’t have the cap room to pay much anything to players released at that time, so the paycut can potentially benefit his future. 

So in wrapping this up the Dolphins have significant cap room to basically steal any player they want from their division rivals or other teams in the league. They will have financial muscle if they choose to use it that cant be matched. Will they? Who knows. As for spending limits beyond the reports, Miami does have 3 players- Nolan Carroll, Reshad Jones, and John Jerry with moderate salary escalators that should increase their salary by $678,000 each. That brings the cap down to $42.527. With the roster at 47, Miami needs to concern itself with allocations for the first four draft picks which I have estimated at a cost of $3,964,721 so that can be pulled from the current estimate bringing the team to $38.56 million in effective cap space before trimming the fat from the roster. I think conservatively they should be able to create another $10 million in cap room via some of the cuts and restructures I suggested and you would replace them with rookies who at the most would take up $1 million in cap next year. 

So the team could get as high as $47.6 million in effective spending room. I think most teams would like to go into the season with between $8 and $10 million of yearly spending room to deal with late cuts, injured reserve concerns, or room for future extensions so Miami should be able to actually spend between $37.6 and $39.6 million in cap and still have a comfortable operating budget once the season rolls around. That’s a gigantic number and one that gives them the chance to really invest in a team and finally change the fortunes of the franchise around by bringing in some real quality talent to fill in some of the gaps they have. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mankins cap hit for 2013 is $10 million. If cut, he will count against the cap $2million and have $12 million in "dead money". 

If Jerrod Mayo is cut, he will count against the cap as $7.6 million and be $13 million in " dead money"

In other words, neither one of them is getting cut. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

1. Gunty 42/46 is a moron delight.  His own GM has tried to copy BB and he mocks what BB does.  Yet, his own team missed the playoffs outright with a .500 record.

Priceless.

2. RKarp is utterly clueless when it comes to understanding finances.  He selects a wishful thinking-tinged anti-Pats based synopsis of what is otherwise widely considered incredible cap position for a very young team knocking on the SB door on an annual basis now.

He suggests he'd like to provide the Bills and Dolphins cap situation, but not the Jets.  Funny how he wants to not provide the dire Jets situation in this discussion, as he provides us with a very poorly analyzed Pats cap situation. Hmm.

This, on the heels of Revis being "shocked" he will be traded.   RKarp still can't figure it out.  If our best player needed a new deal while being 20 mil over the cap currently, an entire defense to fix, a new GM, no QB, a lame duck head coach, etc, this board would blow up.  RKarp's hypocrisy and lack of intellect cannot be made up. It just can't.

3. Everyone else but RKarp and MtHurl can see how great a position NE is in heading into 2013 and beyond before the cap rises in 2015.

Translaton: Nothing has changed. The trolls who pose as Pats fans will still have a see through agenda while the rest of us call them out with ease.

I just provided the Phins and Bills article. As I clearly stated the Jets article will post this week. I understand your reading level is not up to Harvard standards, but even you should under stand that. Read all 3 articles and only a moron would say "bias against the Pats" but then again, you are a moron. 

if you have any understanding of the cap situation, you will see the issue with Brady in the next 1 or 2 years, which is clearly spelled out in the article.

Read the article again and see that this team has the most money due its 3 most aged players, Brady, Vince and Mankins. Vince and Mankins have had contentious negotiations with the Pats, and Brady is on the verge of being non negotiable with a cap hit exceeding Peyton with out a new contract, paying $100 million in his aged 38-42 years. 

You call this cap nirvana?

is it possible that you retort with out mentioning the Jets, as no where do I or the article bring up the Jets. Tell us genius, how you think that 2013 and 2014 is not going to be hard on he Pats?

i agree, it is better to be $15 milunder under than over, but the Pats have very little dollars of clear player cuts that will help the cap (Fells, Ghostkowski?) keeping Vollmer and Talib or replacing Talib with a similar talent, as well as signing Woody, Edelman, Arrington is going to be challenging with out Mankins and Brady restructured...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Frank158's comment:

You can't compare other CBs salaries in different markets. The market is cotinually changing. The amount of quality CBs in FA hurts Talib, as does his chekered past, not to mention this is the best enviornment for him to play in with his agent knowing it.

I can see 6 for him, but no more. Welker is gone. Once they paid Hernandez, that was it for Welker, long term here.

I would not be srprised if Wilfork or even Mankins did some restructuring as well.  Vollmer will also not be overpaid.

Exactly, I think Talib is in and WW is out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Priceless.

I have to agree with this. As he keeps trying to make 'points'.

If you don't think the Pats are in a good place, then you have wishful thinking of something negative.  Amazing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The articles are not my points. I found each of the 3 teams analyzed against the cap of interest, and felt many would also think the same. I expected Rock for brains to attack me and be the Jets troll that he is, hopefully many interested and reasonable fans enjoyed the articles. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Priceless.

You're correct!! Nothing has changed - we will still be plenty under the cap and we will continue to get our heads kicked in by better teams in the playoffs!! Congratulations! We might even continue to leave ourselves 4-7 millon under the cap (that sure helps us). Perhaps we can trade another 4th rounder next season to a team that has a talented defensive player? That way it will cover up our defensive mistakes.

Hey, how is that misfit poor decision by Harbaugh, quaterback doing these days?? What is that kid's name again? Colin Kaepernick? Something like that. It's too bad Harbaugh made the mistake of benching Alex Smith:)  Bawahahahahaaahaaahahaaa!!! My lord, you are easily the dumbest person on this site. Please please continue to enlighten us with your football insight, it is the most hilarious thing ever! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

The articles are not my points. I found each of the 3 teams analyzed against the cap of interest, and felt many would also think the same. I expected Rock for brains to attack me and be the Jets troll that he is, hopefully many interested and reasonable fans enjoyed the articles. 

I'm not sure what the problem here is looking at things realistically.  Fine, we have 15 million to spend.  We need to sign a CB that is among the top 3 available in FA or our pass D we be as bad as it was without Talib, we need to replace Welker's 100 catches, Vollmer is  going to cost some cash.  An early second round pick that has started a bunch of games for us and now entering his prime is going to cost 5-7 mil/per year.  We then have 5 or 6 other roster spots that are currently unaccounted for, I have a feeling none of them will be for free. We currently have about 5 mil in dead money for 2013.  Given our past practices, that will increase to at least 10 mil when we start chopping off the underperformers.  15 mil is not a lot of money considering what we need to spend to field a team as good or better than last year.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Priceless.

42/46 is a moron delight. His own GM has tried to copy BB and he mocks what BB does. Yet, his own team missed the playoffs outright with a .500 record.

Wrong as usual Queenie...i know u think bill bellichick invented football and discovered everything first including wearing cleets and the rest all just follow and copy him but u really got to stop with this little fantasy of yours especially when it comes to your daddies

as i have pointed out ad nauseum the gmen h ave been drafting the same way since the late 70's/early 80's when george young and bill parcells taught bellichick how to do it and acorsi and reese are just the latest to do it the same way, before during and after your sacred salary cap u think is the answer to everything-the Giants have had the same philosophy since forever under the Mara's and that includes when BB learned how to do it while he was here

see ur type of smarter than the rest of us self lovers always have that left-handed snide way u "compliment" others to forward ur own agenda ie: I give reese credit for following bb's blueprint blah blah blah-spare me, jerry reesedoesn't give a damn what bellichick and the pats do and follows the "blueprint" laid down two generations ago by Young and The Master

25. This post has been removed.