Irsay Frustrated with Manning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Irsay Frustrated with Manning

Per NFL.com

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay is frustrated by the state of contract talks with Peyton Manning.

Irsay, who has said he intends to make Manning the NFL's highest-paid player, believes the Colts' last offer to their franchise quarterback before the lockout was good enough to complete a deal.

"It should get done," Irsay said Monday at the NFL Annual Meeting in New Orleans, according to Comcast SportsNet New England. "If you ask me, it should have gotten done. You'll have to ask (Manning's agent) Tom Condon why it's not done."

Manning is scheduled to receive $23 million next season as the Colts' franchise player, but the sides would rather agree on a long-term contract. While the Colts would like to reward Manning for his 11 Pro Bowl seasons and one Super Bowl championship, Irsay also indicated the quarterback is willing to take a deal that will allow the team to remain competitive.

"(Peyton had) always said, 'It's not about money to me, it's not about how much money I make. It's about making sure we have a great team, making sure I'm surrounded by other players that can be re-signed,'" Irsay told NFL Network's Albert Breer. "The Pierre Garcons, the Austin Collies. The young guys that make the difference.

"The money's there," Irsay added. "I'm already offering more than any player's being paid in the league. So why wouldn't it get done?"

Irsay said he believed the sides would have been able to come to an agreement by this point in the offseason. The sides can't have further discussions until the league and the players reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

"I would have thought it would have been done already," Irsay said, according to Comcast SportsNet New England. "But these things get done when they do."

It's great, after all offseason last year, all the haters saying Brady would be walking...looks like maybe Peyton isn't too happy with the lack of success in Indy in recent years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Irsay Frustrated with Manning

Seems to me that part of this issue should be laid at Irsay's feet. 

1.  Irsay all but said Manning would have a new contract before the start of last year and that negotiations for that would begin last summer.  Manning wasn't even offered a contract before he had played 6 games into the season. 

2.  Manning has not been a big union guy in the past, but I'd say the team's neglect combined with Manning's agent's influence with the union caused Manning to throw some love their way.  I think Manning legitimately did not want to negotiate a contract during the season as he said, but by the time the season had ended, the labor issues were on the front burner and Manning had decided to be a union guy. 

I think Irsay may have no one but himself to blame for the predicament he is in.  That said, as Irsay indicates, something will get done. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

How predictable.  Underpants is on this quicker than Stompie's panties when they hit the floor at the male strip club.

The reality is, Manning feels pressure from the union to not only call himself the highest paid player, holding off on a long term deal with the Colts, but not signing it, he and the union feels it gives them leverage.

Keep in mind, the media was ALL OVER Bob Kraft/BB and Brady for not getting a deal done, yet they quietly went about their business and finalized one.

Then, we saw absolutely no drama from the media when Gomer pulled this little stunt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Irsay Frustrated with Manning:
    [QUOTE]You make one point but the way I see it is this: Manning wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL...period. The reason it didn't get done last offseason is because they were waiting on Brady's deal so they could one-up it. But Brady's deal didn't get signed until well into camp. Manning then refused to negotiate during the season, which is fine, but when I hear that he would not accept an offer that would give him the "Most-Paid" title that he clearly covets, I have to wonder if he doesn't want out of Indy.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

Good point on the Brady deal, and one I hadn't thought of, but we are aware of the fact that Indy hadn't even made an offer. 

Texas Pat has the same thoughts you do, and I've argued with him on this.  If you can point to a better situation than what Manning has in Indy and why its better, then I'll grant you that your theory is possible.  

I am of the impression that there is not a better place for Manning than in Indy. Also, Irsay is willing to make him the highest paid.  Unless I see some reasonable theory to the contrary, I'll continue to believe that the Union got to Manning and he threw his support that way to put pressure on the Colts specifically and the league in general as was noted in this article. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/jonathan-kraft-hopes-brady-was-conflicted-by-antitrust-lawsuit/

Further, the courting of these QB's was important to the union in this dispute because in a past labor dispute, the owners got to the top QB's who ended up not supporting the union. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-unionwantsbreesmanningbrady022511
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-richardsonmanning021311

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]How predictable.  Underpants is on this quicker than Stompie's panties when they hit the floor at the male strip club. The reality is, Manning feels pressure from the union to not only call himself the highest paid player, holding off on a long term deal with the Colts, but not signing it, he and the union feels it gives them leverage. Keep in mind, the media was ALL OVER Bob Kraft/BB and Brady for not getting a deal done, yet they quietly went about their business and finalized one. Then, we saw absolutely no drama from the media when Gomer pulled this little stunt.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    I am curious what stunt.  The colts didn't even make an offer to Manning until after 6 games. 

Ultimately, Manning sets the bar for all players in the league.  Getting the largest contract has more to do with helping his union brethren than it does helping himself.  He is more than set. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-peytonmanningunion080510

That doesn’t mean that, at the right time, Manning won’t play one of the most important trump cards in the pending labor battle – his contract. While one player’s contract won’t be the deciding factor in the two sides signing off on a new collective bargaining agreement, Manning’s insistence on a fair-market deal could threaten potential leverage by the owners.

Numerous agents and athletes around the league say that no player in the history of the NFL has been in a better situation to negotiate than Manning right now. Those same people say Manning’s next deal will have a ripple effect. Whatever he gets – and some speculate that he could get $25 million or more a year on a long-term contract – will set the bar for contracts of other quarterbacks and, in turn, other positions.

“Every contract is based on what quarterbacks get,” one agent said. “You start with the quarterback and you base what the top guys at the other positions get off that.”

While Manning has declined to discuss the specifics of negotiations, he recognizes his role in the overall situation.

“That doesn’t cloud my mind, but I believe that all players have a responsibility to each other, to the guys who are coming up for free agency,” said Manning, a four-time league MVP. “I do feel there is kind of an unwritten rule to sign a fair contract so that whoever the next quarterback is – be it Brady or Brees or whoever – you don’t put them in an unfair position because you did something not up to speed. Quarterbacks, defensive backs, whoever, I do feel it’s important, especially because of the franchise tag and the effect that has on other guys.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]I actually think in Mannings case he would be best served leaving the Colts. I dont think he will ever win another super bowl in Indy, thats just my opinion and I think he would do better for himself to go to a team like the Vikings. Maybe thats what Manning wants.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Why is the situation better in Minn?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]yea he is asking for a huge contract to help his "brothers" in the union. The union that he has never even had anything to do with until now. he has always looked out for himself and he has NEVER been known as a union man. So thats a BS excuse.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]
    Did you read any of the cited articles.  The writers have presented compelling agruements about why Manning is doing what he is doing, and Manning is even quoted about it himself. 

Take off the homer glasses, tas.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Nope. Michael Silver hung out with Gomer over the weekend and Gomer told Michael Silver he wanted to use him to try to get more money out of the Irsays.

Didn't you know, Undies?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Manning has always gone for the "max" contract. Nothing is different this time than last time. 

Irsay doesn't like it, then boo-hoo. Sign another QB for less money, and keep all the surrounding talent in place. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Manning has always gone for the "max" contract. Nothing is different this time than last time.  Irsay doesn't like it, then boo-hoo. Sign another QB for less money, and keep all the surrounding talent in place. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
    You obviously have no issue with this, correct.  All players should get as much as they can, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irsay Frustrated with Manning : Why is the situation better in Minn?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Because being in the NFC North he would have to play a couple of games in the cold and snow.  It would toughen him up and maybe he would learn to avoid throwing interceptions at critical moments.  Look what the cold and snow did for Tom Brady. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I have been watching with little interest (admittedly) the Manning contract situation.  I couldn't care less one way or the other what Manning does, but the whole contract situation seems to have worsened since the Pats quietly gave Brady a pretty fair deal.  What's the deal with Indy?  They don't want to pay Manning more than Brady?  Are they questioning his ability to deliver over the length of what would be an unprecedented mega deal?  They don't like where Brady's deal puts Manning in terms of pay or length of contract I guess.  Or is Manning trying to break the bank "for the benefit of his union brethren"?   Hah, that's a good one.  Those guys that are about to be paid are always looking out for the benefit of their peers, so noble of them.  

Either way, it makes both sides look like they're playing a game of chicken. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]I have been watching with little interest (admittedly) the Manning contract situation.  I couldn't care one way or the other what Manning does, but the whole contract situation seems to have worsened since the Pats quietly gave Brady a pretty fair deal.  What's the deal with Indy?  They don't want to pay Manning more than Brady?  Are they questioning his ability to deliver over the length of what would be an unprecedented mega deal?  They don't like where Brady's deal puts Manning in terms of pay or length of contract I guess.  Or is Manning trying to break the bank "for the benefit of his union brethren"?   Hah, that's a good one.  Those guys that are about to be paid are always looking out for the benefit of their peers, so noble of them.   Either way, it makes both sides look like they're playing a game of chicken. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

If the NFL did not operate with a collective bargaining agreement and Manning was completely free to negotiate with all NFL teams, he would probably be offered more than he will ever get under a salary cap arrangement.  So yes, he is sacrificing something for his fellow players. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irsay Frustrated with Manning : You obviously have no issue with this, correct.  All players should get as much as they can, right?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Do I sound like I have an issue with it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irsay Frustrated with Manning : Do I sound like I have an issue with it?
    not sure, which is why I asked the question.  Why not remove all doubt?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irsay Frustrated with Manning : not sure, which is why I asked the question.  Why not remove all doubt?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

My post is unequivocal. I can repost it again if it makes you feel better.

Although, now that you bring it up, shouldn't you be upset at Manning for maxing out the owners while not understanding the impact his contract has on the business in this recession ... or something? Or you should be angry with him for "bringing the Colt's to their knees" as labor so often does, per your own words? That is why you side against labor right? Outrageous demands? 

Irsay is a billionaire's son who is building corporate golf courses for Colt's management next to a tax funded stadium while whining with the rest of them about 'cash flow' issues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Z - you are such a typical acedemic snob, its pathetic.  but if that's what validates you, have at it. 

I am not at all upset with Manning.  I have the benefit of seeing the value of both sides.  You on the other hand are blindly following one.  

Manning has given his reasons for what he is doing and they are valid.  I don't think Manning thinks that he crippling the colts either.  Take Brady as an example.  Its widely accepted that he took a discount for the benefit of the pats on his last contract.  What did that produce for him?  1 mvp, 1 sb loss. 

On the other hand, it is accepted that Manning took a max deal on his last contract which produced 2 mvps, 2 sbs, 1 sb win, and an sb mvp.  If that is what you mean by bringing a franchise to its knees, I'd like another serving please. 

Organized labor is no different than management, they just have different beneficiaries.  For you however, you find nobility in one and vulgarity in the other.  I see two sides simply fighting for the same piece of pie. 

Irsay is a millionaire's son who is a billionaire only because of the valuation of the team.  If the team loses in the near future, I am sure he would lose that status.  Regardless, Irsay doesn't comparatively have a significant amount of liquid wealth.  He's house rich, cash poor, as they say.  Manning's probably got more cash than he does. 

Oh, and the golf course, haven't seen it, but knowing the land, I'd be surprised if its 9 holes, but I do know its not next to the stadium.  Oh, and I am sure he'd let the players play.  He's not all that uppity of a guy, not snobbish like you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Z - you are such a typical acedemic snob, its pathetic.  but if that's what validates you, have at it.  I am not at all upset with Manning.  I have the benefit of seeing the value of both sides.  You on the other hand are blindly following one.   Manning has given his reasons for what he is doing and they are valid.  I don't think Manning thinks that he crippling the colts either.  Take Brady as an example.  Its widely accepted that he took a discount for the benefit of the pats on his last contract.  What did that produce for him?  1 mvp, 1 sb loss.  On the other hand, it is accepted that Manning took a max deal on his last contract which produced 2 mvps, 2 sbs, 1 sb win, and an sb mvp.  If that is what you mean by bringing a franchise to its knees, I'd like another serving please.  Organized labor is no different than management, they just have different beneficiaries.  For you however, you find nobility in one and vulgarity in the other.  I see two sides simply fighting for the same piece of pie.  Irsay is a millionaire's son who is a billionaire only because of the valuation of the team.  If the team loses in the near future, I am sure he would lose that status.  Regardless, Irsay doesn't comparatively have a significant amount of liquid wealth.  He's house rich, cash poor, as they say.  Manning's probably got more cash than he does.  Oh, and the golf course, haven't seen it, but knowing the land, I'd be surprised if its 9 holes, but I do know its not next to the stadium.  Oh, and I am sure he'd let the players play.  He's not all that uppity of a guy, not snobbish like you.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

You can call me all the names you want, if that makes you feel better. That said, you don't see two sides of anything, so stop pretending you do. 

What you are saying now is wildly, wildly contradictory to what you have been saying all along re: the labor situation. And you have, with one other poster non-withstanding, been the most vociferous anti-NFLPA poster on this forum. 

You said, and I quote, that labor asks for more money than they deserve, and brings 'industries to their knees.' What Manning is doing is no different than what anyone else does, so why are you painting it that way here? Shouldn't he take less, rather than hurt the NFL's financials?  

So why aren't you 'siding with the owners' here, as you said yourself? You did say you side with owners right? And you did say it was because labor makes outrageous demands, and then only gives in when they 'bring the business to its knees' right?

You are dead-red for the owners, and don't pretend you aren't because every post that doesn't involve Manning's contract is all about unions ruining businesses, and how you want to (again in your words) 'bring on the scabs.' 

So why aren't you talking abot how Manning is raking Irsay over the coals here, like you have elsewhere about workers in general?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

WTG ZBELLINO ...Well said indeed .

Polian's team makes me BARF.

But I  have to admit I'm a Pats fan that actually likes Manning .
     I remember the first time I saw him in person ~ 2001 in Foxboro ( actually Bradys first start ever ) I was prepared to really hate his guts , but after watching him and Marvin H go thru their pregame ritual like it was game conditions - I was won over ( for the record he played like crap when the actual game started )...
      I appreciate what he brings to the game of football.

In fact , I really don't have a problem with most Indy fans either . 

Personally I don't particularly care for their midwest vibe in general , but as far as obnoxious fans go , we all know they got nothin' on the East.

Now Underdogggggg .... PFFTT !

Man oh man does he know how to push buttons .

( He's made me mutter some pretty bad 4 letter words aloud ...once when I didnt realize some of my kids were in the room ...DOH )

But two things I'll say about UD6 :

1) He's not your typical "Spygate-a-thon  Pats Hater " .

Nope . He's the real deal...hardcore .

You have to understand ... 

THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS ARE THE YANKEES TO HARDCORE INDY FANS .

Our decade of domination came at a time when they were primed to take the next step ...and it was us who continually kept them down with heartbreaking defeats in wintry Foxboro ~ Until they finally got over the hump and won their grand total of 1 SB  ... which isnt bad ( ask Jets fans ) but not as many as they would have won had we not been in their way .

So when you read Undys words remember :
    HE HATES THE PATS AS MUCH AS WE HATE THE YANKEES 

So of course the ramblings spewin' out of his fingers are designed to rattle the faithful here ... IT'S ONLY NATURAL.
     Now truth be told , he does make the occasional valid critical point about our beloved Pats....but I digress.

2) I think its fair to say he loves his Colts as much as just about anybody here loves their Pats .
      So I will say this for him ... he shows up and takes his licks after painful Colts defeats.
    Now even though most here wouldnt be caught dead posting on INDY.Com ( if there is one ) or Stampede Blue ( or whatever they call it )  
       I know if I was a Pats fan who regularly trolled on an Indy sight ...
    NO WAY I'm checking in immediately after tough Pats losses , not gonna happen .
     ( Heck , it took me a couple months just to get over the Jets debacle and continue posting again anywhere )

So I guess what I'm sayin is :
     YES , UNDERDOGGGGG  IS A RABBLE ROUSER WHO WILL TICK YOU OFF IF YOU LET HIM... 
    BUT AT LEAST HE'S A MAN ABOUT IT .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

For the record ...

I'M PRO PLAYERS 100% .

( They ARE the product )

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Cap'n, 

1.) I don't hate Peyton Manning. I don't spend time on here bagging on players, like some other posters. There really aren't any players I dislike as persons ... except Ben Rape-lis-turder, and a select few real scum-bag jocks.

2.) UD doesn't really bother me at all. I find him kind of odd, because I don't know too many people that love to live their entire lives day in day out fighting about minutiae, and hurling grade-school names at near strangers, but then that is kind of par for the course on the internet. 

My guess is that he is really bored with his life, and letting loose a good old "acedemic (sic) snob" was probably pretty durned cathartic. 

Good for him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]For the record ... I'M PRO PLAYERS 100% . ( They ARE the product )
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

As hard as it is to 'be for' a workforce that includes a bunch of overpaid people, the bottom line is that the owners are overpaid even more. They are essentially middle men who own a logo. The public generally builds their stadiums, or most of the stadium. The TV networks market their product. The players actually are the people doing the work that brings people there. 

The success of the s-s-s-s-ocially (there I said the bad word) owned Packers over the last century is evidence enough that owners bring just about zero to the party except a full cup that keeps asking for more. Co-operative/local ownership can just as easily hire lawyers and accountants as anyone else, and they don't lock the doors on all the people working for them to squeeze a few more pennies out.  

If the NFLPA thought that the NFL was in danger and not viable financially, this would have been a done deal. Labor always gives in to demands when it is necessary to keep a business afloat, even if (as is MOST frequently the case) they are merely subsidizing managment failure.

However, nothing in Moody's or any other benchmark indicates this is a fact, and the owners of the franchises won't (can't?) prove otherwise. Moreover, the anti-trust exemption granted to the NFL has been proven to be a complete sham, and the courts should strike it. It is manifestly evident that the NFL is using its tax-sheilded, monopoly status to benefit the owners and not the owners and players as business partners, per the exemption's demands. 

What I am against, is the anti-worker misinformation that is routinely spread on this board. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

[QUOTE] So I guess what I'm sayin is :  YES , UNDERDOGGGGG  IS A RABBLE ROUSER WHO WILL TICK YOU OFF IF YOU LET HIM...  BUT AT LEAST HE'S A MAN ABOUT IT .
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried. Dogg is a deeply disturbed coward that wouldn't know the first thing about being a man. He doesn't even have the dignity or self respect to stay away from a place where he's not wanted and has banned from several times. That doesn't sound very manly to me.

Being the "man" that he is, he came here to rub our noses in the Pats playoff choke against the Jets the next day. Real class act. He is the message board equivalent of Matt Cooke.

Either he is completely out of his mind and obssessed with stalking and inciting strangers on a message board, or he isn't real and is just another creation of the BDC mods. How else would you explain his garbage going unchecked for so long?

Either way, nobody here has any respect for him. We all think he's a joke. Just because he makes the occasional sane post, does't mean that he's any better than Leon or any of these other nut jobs. He's a troll. Period. The only real question is if he is real or not. 

I put him on ignore a while ago. Best thing I ever did on this forum. Outside of all the people that can't resist responding to his idiocy and feel the need to quote his ramblings I don't ever have to deal with him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Seems to me that part of this issue should be laid at Irsay's feet.  1.  Irsay all but said Manning would have a new contract before the start of last year and that negotiations for that would begin last summer.  Manning wasn't even offered a contract before he had played 6 games into the season.  2.  Manning has not been a big union guy in the past, but I'd say the team's neglect combined with Manning's agent's influence with the union caused Manning to throw some love their way.  I think Manning legitimately did not want to negotiate a contract during the season as he said, but by the time the season had ended, the labor issues were on the front burner and Manning had decided to be a union guy.  I think Irsay may have no one but himself to blame for the predicament he is in.  
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Oh...I see. Blame it on Irsay...who only wants to make Peyton far and away the games highest paid player. This is just another example of why you have no credibility on this forum, and why no one here should take you seriously: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/633485-indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-has-become-the-most-selfish-player-in-the-nfl 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irsay Frustrated with Manning : You can call me all the names you want, if that makes you feel better. That said, you don't see two sides of anything, so stop pretending you do.  What you are saying now is wildly, wildly contradictory to what you have been saying all along re: the labor situation. And you have, with one other poster non-withstanding, been the most vociferous anti-NFLPA poster on this forum.  You said, and I quote, that labor asks for more money than they deserve, and brings 'industries to their knees.' What Manning is doing is no different than what anyone else does, so why are you painting it that way here? Shouldn't he take less, rather than hurt the NFL's financials?   So why aren't you 'siding with the owners' here, as you said yourself? You did say you side with owners right? And you did say it was because labor makes outrageous demands, and then only gives in when they 'bring the business to its knees' right? You are dead-red for the owners, and don't pretend you aren't because every post that doesn't  involve Manning's contract is all about unions ruining businesses, and how you want to (again in your words) 'bring on the scabs.'  So why aren't you talking abot how Manning is raking Irsay over the coals here, like you have elsewhere about workers in general?

Keep acting like you know everything including what I think and the name continues to fit. 

I do side with owners, but I understand the players side, and have stated more than enough that the owners have no one to blame but themselves for this mess.  I don't begrudge them doing what they must to get what they think they need.     

As for Manning, I think Irsay may have screwed up.  If he had done what he said he was going to do, which is negotiate in the offseason, then he might have gotten a deal done and might not currently be in a lawsuit against his player. 

Ultimately, I am not highly emotional about this.  When the dispute is resolved, and regardless of who gets the best of the other side, I expect Manning will get a top contract (appeasing the union) that he will do in a way that allows Colts management to sign the players they need as they requested.  

If it doesn't get resolved.  Bring on the scabs!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts