is 5 running backs an unusually high number?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

is 5 running backs an unusually high number?

its strange to have so many older and injury prone guys take up so many roster spots at one position!!! that said i think fred taylor is going to be the man this year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Re: is 5 running backs an unusually high number?

The Pats will probably carry 4 RBs this year. BJGE will be cut or traded. The Pats will probably use that roster spot at LB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

when 4 get injured every season, i would say not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Probably will have one on the practice squad in reserve for the usual injury to Morris and Maroney that knock them out half way through the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Four is not a bad number with multiple offensive schemes as long as it's the right four....

Still a bit perplexed about the no new blood at RB given all those picks....Hmm

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

when you consider that more often than not BJGE and Morris are in the FB position, there are 3 HBs (LM, FT, KF) and 2 FBs (BJGE, SM) not unusual at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Most teams carry 4 RB on the 53 man roster.  I was hoping we would have drafted a big back like Gerhart, Tate or Hardesty allowing us to cut both Morris and Taylor but that didn't happen.  There is no way we cut BJGE.  He is too inexpensive.  If anyone gets cut it will be Taylor and his $2MM salary.  Morris costs only $900K and is a year younger.

Given the injury prone situation with Morris and Taylor (Maroney too, although he stayed relatively healthy last year), I think the Pats carry all 5 backs to start the season.  It won't take long for one of them to get hurt and go out on injury reserve.

We signed an undrafted rookie free agent.  I look for him to make the practice squad and he's there if we need him.  To make room for the 5 RBs, I think we go with 5 WRs (Moss, Edelman, Tate, Holt and Price) instead of 6.  Welker starts on PUP.  Patten, Aiken and maybe even Slater get cut. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Aiken was a ST Captain, no way he is cut...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

i was just about to say the same dat dey aint gon cut Aiken!

We need all the RB's we need lol:P but i want FT to step up to the plate and EAT up  LB's! Maroney needs to stop fumbling or he is gonna be benched! and dont cut bjge he is really good! he is waay better than maroney who dances behind his o-line

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: is 5 running backs an unusually high number?:
    Aiken was a ST Captain, no way he is cut...
    Posted by titletownfan

Yes way!  Aiken is a one dimensional player.  He's terrible as a WR.  We since have signed Marques Murrell and drafted Devin McCourty.  McCourty is an excellent gunner and adds to the defense while Aiken can only play special teams.  By signing Holt and drafting Price plus with a healthy Brandon Tate, we don't need another WR/ST expensive player like Aiken who makes close to $1 MM to cover kicks.  I said the same thing about Kelly Washington before last season and everyone called me crazy but I was right about that and I will be right about this.

We have 5 guys who I think we carry as WRs in Moss, Edelman, Tate (another special teams guy), Price and Holt.  You got to look at the numbers.  Either Aiken goes or we cut a RB or OL type.  There just isn't room for Aiken the way I see it. 
    If you didn't like my Aiken prediction, you're going to hate this; I think Ron Brace could be cut.  I know, he was a high pick but he was drafted as a hedge to Wilfork holding out.  Now that Wilfork is signed long term, we don't need Brace.  I thought he was a mistake when we took him and he appears to be a bust.  I think Slater needs to be cut too now that we have McCourty to return kicks.  I don't think we'll cut a DB because 9 is just about right.  That means we cut either Ninkovich or Murrell.

So, if you want to keep Aiken, who do you cut on offense?  If 1-2 guys get hurt during training camp and start on PUP, then there could be room for Aiken for awhile.  But, if that happens, I'd rather give Brace another year.  Here's my depth chart and we still have one player too many on defense. 

OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot24 Julian EdelmanTory Holt PUP 29 W Welker
    WR#90 T Price22 Brandon Tate 
    LOT32 Matt Light26 S Vollmer24 George Bussey
    LG28 Logan Mankins28 Dan Connolly 
    C30 Dan Koppen  
    ROG34 Stephen Neal24 Rich Ohrnberger 
    RT31 Nick Kaczur28 Mark LeVoir 
    TE#42 R Gronkowski#113 A Hernandez32 Alge Crumpler
    QB33 Tom Brady24 Brian Hoyer 
    RB25 L Maroney34 Kevin Faulk34 Fred Taylor
    33 Sammy Morris 
    25 BJ Green-Ellis 
    WR33 Randy Moss  

DEFENSE 26 Players
    DE 29 Ty Warren24 Myron Pryor 
    NT28 Vince Wilfork28 Mike Wright 
    DEGerrard Warren32 Damione Lewis 
    OLB30 Tully Banta-Cain28 Pierre Woods26 Rob Ninkovich
    ILB24 Jerod Mayo24 T McKenzie25 Marques Murrell
    ILB#62 B Spikes24 Gary Guyton 
    OLB#53 J Cunningham25 Shawn Crable 
    LCB#27 D McCourty26 J Wilhite 
    RCB29 Leigh Bodden24 Darius Butler25 T Wheatley
    SS26 B Meriweather23 Pat Chung 
    FS26 James Sanders26 B McGowan 

SPECIAL TEAMS 3 Players                                Possible Cuts
    PK26 S Gostkowski 35 Shawn Springs
    P#150 Z. Mesko 36 David Patton
    H  23 Ron Brace
    LS24 Jake Ingram 24 Ryan Wendell
    KR#27 D McCourty 28 Eric Alexander
    PR#27 D McCourty 24 Matthew Slater
       29 Sam Aiken

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to is 5 running backs an unusually high number?:
    its strange to have so many older and injury prone guys take up so many roster spots at one position!!! that said i think fred taylor is going to be the man this year
    Posted by sirpinochle

I believe so.  However, most of their RBs can only play for part of the season(s).  Is it time to spend that #1 pick on a(nother) premium RB?

Personally, I just want to see a productive/healthy RB ready for the play-offs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

yeah, i'm sure it will be cut down to four

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DogenHanda. Show DogenHanda's posts

No, if we lack a feature rb and the ones on the roster get injured a lot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

I wouldnt cut Law firm. He is a decent back with a good potential as a blocker. He cleared the way for atleast two Maroney TDs, if I'm not mistaken. Also we need to get younger, so given the choice, Sammy Morris would be stuck with the short straw, IMHO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

can we stop suggesting that pat paschall, a small back from a Div 1AA school, is going to bump BJGE, a big back from an SEC school, off the depth chart.  lawfirm is a good back with solid size. he is a little brick with the ability to power it up between the tackles.

green-ellis is also versatile enough to line up at FB and clear the way for the guy behind him. he is quite a find in rookie free agency and i expect him to stick around as he has more priority that pat paschall as it will be his 3rd season in 2010.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Id say Sammy gets the boot, although for the $$ Id rather see Taylor go.  In my dream Patriot world, the Pats would trade their (not OAK's)  2011 1rst Rd. pick for Titans holdout Chris Johnson. Unfortunately, the amount of money it would take to sign him to the deal he expects and resign Brady/Moss makes it highly unlikely. Can you imaging what the passing game could do with a homerun threat like him standing behind Brady?!!! Opposing defenses would have to pick their poison! Go Pats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

Do to their age I think one will be out injured before the end of preseason so the PATS will only have 4 at most by the time the regular season starts and thats about a normal number of RB's. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

The RB position got better just by the addition of Crumpler and I can't imagine they would have the injury issues they had last year. If they do, well, it's a chance you take at all positions.  I too would love Chris Johnson or a CJ style RB. Don't see that happening though until next seasons draft or free agency.
     I like the RB's we have right now and expect BJGE to be released as well if Paschall(sp) is nearly as good as he might be. BJGE has leveled off and actually gotten slower in my opinion.

Sections
Shortcuts