Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fredfredfred. Show Fredfredfred's posts

He always seems to be one step away from making a great play ie (jets game almost had an interception bills game almost had a great sack) 14 tackles through 4 games????

Signing bonus: $12 million in 2007.

Option bonus: $8 million payable in 2008, applied for cap reasons in equal $2 million increments in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Salaries: $900,000 in '07, $900,000 in '08, $1.9 million in '09, $4.9 million in '10 and $5.9 million in '11.

Workout bonuses: $107,000 annually if he participates in the Patriots' offseason workout program in Foxboro.

Cap numbers: In succession, beginning this year, $3.4 million, $5.4 million, $6.4 million, $9.4 million, $10.4 million.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?

He seems to be worth the money this season and the two previous seasons, but looks like he will have to step up his game in the next 2 to be worth his numbers. I would like to see if he restructures his deal. Chances are he won`t. If not what is the hit we would take if we try and dump him in the offseason after this year. I believe the cap penalty works out to whatever the remaining number from his signing bonus is. Do you have that number if we were to dump him before 2010?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

he's worth the money on the one fact that he bring's great veteran leadership..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

How do you know he brings great veteran leadership. I agree he is the only starting Patriot LB over 30. But it seems to me that Mayo has taken over play calling duties and was considered the new leader on D after Bruschi and Vrabel left. Guyton is now the play caller. I mean there are talks about bringing Seau back. He would bring more experience and more veteran leadership to the team but they are not going to pay him 6 or 7 million. If you are going to pay a LB that much money or more they need to be making plays. Sacks, FF, Int, dropping RB for losses, big stops on 3rd downs. He seems to make tackles yes but he doesn't seem to make that big play when needed. That's why Bill brought him here and paid him the big bucks to come.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I don't think he's lived up to that contract.  He's a good player but was expected, and paid, to be great when he was brought in.  He just hasn't made that many big plays.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DYBLITZ. Show DYBLITZ's posts

I think he does a lot more for the defense than we see. But even if we were to try to replace him ( hope we don't!!) There are no other LB's out there even close to his level. Why do you think we are bringing Seau back....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Why do I think we are bringing Seau back? Well I think they are bringing him back because Bill has had him in for a workout and said it is a possibility they would consider bringing him back. Reports are he will sign something and be in uniform at practice sometime next week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DYBLITZ. Show DYBLITZ's posts

In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?:
    [QUOTE]Why do I think we are bringing Seau back? Well   I think they are bringing him back because Bill has had him in for a workout and said it is a possibility they would consider bringing him back. Reports are he will sign something and be in uniform at practice sometime next week.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read that too. I was just saying that Bringing back Seau means there are no other LB's out there.....especially none as good as Thomas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

In Response to Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?:
    [QUOTE]He always seems to be one step away from making a great play ie (jets game almost had an interception bills game almost had a great sack) 14 tackles through 4 games???? Signing bonus: $12 million in 2007. • Option bonus: $8 million payable in 2008, applied for cap reasons in equal $2 million increments in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. • Salaries: $900,000 in '07, $900,000 in '08, $1.9 million in '09, $4.9 million in '10 and $5.9 million in '11. • Workout bonuses: $107,000 annually if he participates in the Patriots' offseason workout program in Foxboro. • Cap numbers: In succession, beginning this year, $3.4 million, $5.4 million, $6.4 million, $9.4 million, $10.4 million.
    Posted by Fredfredfred[/QUOTE]

He's an outside linebacker.  Not a middle linebacker. 

Let Mayo get healthy and puy AD back on the outside where he belongs.   Then judge him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

he is a solid player.but at his age,and the length of the contract,and amount is a little to much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : Yeah, I read that too. I was just saying that Bringing back Seau means there are no other LB's out there.....especially none as good as Thomas.
    Posted by DYBLITZ[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood because they do not play the same LB postition. Thomas being outside and Seau playing inside.

I would like to know if it is worth dealing Thomas in the offseason. I figure his number gets too high and the fact he does not make those game changing plays that we all expected from him there is a chance he gets dealt. I wanted to know from Fredfredfred who had all the numbers if he knew what the cap penalty would be if we dealt him after this season. If it is under 5 mill I think Bill would consider it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : He's an outside linebacker.  Not a middle linebacker.  Let Mayo get healthy and puy AD back on the outside where he belongs.   Then judge him.
    Posted by Ltown1[/QUOTE]

Umm Thomas has been playing outside. He has been playing outside all this year and all of last year. Guyton has been playing inside since Mayo went down. So umm yea I am going to judge him now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

No.

Injury prone and to often invisible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]No. Injury prone and to often invisible.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]
    At this point in his career he's JAG. Does he have one sack yet this year? That's the primary reason we paid him a truckload of money and he's been a big disappointment Iin that department, IMHO. But we're to thin at LB to do anything about it right now.
    If we're able to sign a couple of studs next year, either FAs or thru the draft, it wouldn't surprise me if he was just cut.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : At this point in his career he's JAG. Does he have one sack yet this year? That's the primary reason we paid him a truckload of money and he's been a big disappointment Iin that department, IMHO. But we're to thin at LB to do anything about it right now. If we're able to sign a couple of studs next year, either FAs or thru the draft, it wouldn't surprise me if he was just cut.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

This was what I have been trying to get at through my 4 or so posts on this thread. Fans seem to love to boo Maroney and I mean I understand he was a 1st rounder and all but he is only getting paid like 900,000 or something. Thomas at like 8 or so mill next year, should we be expecting more from him? I think so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : This was what I have been trying to get at through my 4 or so posts on this thread. Fans seem to love to boo Maroney and I mean I understand he was a 1st rounder and all but he is only getting paid like 900,000 or something. Thomas at like 8 or so mill next year, should we be expecting more from him? I think so.

I think the problem has been that due to our constant injuries to the linebacking core. AT's 1st year we had to play him inside due to injury therefore decreasing his sack totals. then he was injured and now Mayo is injured. Each year he has been putting up good #s until another injury comes along.

I agree the next 2 years he is due more $ then he will be worth. We'll probably just trade him to the Raiders for a 2012 1st Rd pick!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fredfredfred. Show Fredfredfred's posts

Adalius Thomas Career average
    Tackles 45
    Solo 35
    Sacks 5

Jared Allen
    Tackles 50
    Solo 42
    Sacks 10

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : Umm Thomas has been playing outside. He has been playing outside all this year and all of last year. Guyton has been playing inside since Mayo went down. So umm yea I am going to judge him now.

I don't know what games you've been watching but AD has been playing inside quite a bit this year with Burgess and Banta-Cain getting much of the pass rushing  opportunities from the corner.

AD has gotten outside in certain situations but he's been sharing the inside role.

Like I said, let him get settled back in his spot before you throw him under the bus.

Knee-Jerk reactions from fair-weather people like you are annoying.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fredfredfred. Show Fredfredfred's posts

It is fact.  I am just pointing out a fact and i have been a fan since the early days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?:
    [QUOTE]

Posted by Fredfredfred[/QUOTE]

He's defintely not worth the total contract.  He might be worth the portion that is unpaid...we'll see.  Ironically, the Pats did not get value on this one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : I don't know what games you've been watching but AD has been playing inside quite a bit this year with Burgess and Banta-Cain getting much of the pass rushing  opportunities from the corner. AD has gotten outside in certain situations but he's been sharing the inside role. Like I said, let him get settled back in his spot before you throw him under the bus. Knee-Jerk reactions from fair-weather people like you are annoying.
    Posted by Ltown1[/QUOTE]

I hardly think my reaction is that of the knee jerk sort. I think Thomas is a good solid LB. He played OLB in the 3-4 all of last season. The year before he did play inside yes, I agree with that. As for this year he has been playing Strong Side LB in the 4-3. That is an OLB position in the 4-3 Defense. We have been playing a primarily 43 defense this year. Yes he has shifted "inside" when Burgess and Banta-Cain come onto the field in sub packages. Yet that is a "Nickel" defense sub package that you are seeing where the Pats are playing a 4-2-5. That means 4 down lineman, 2 LBs, and 5 defensive backs. Burgess and Banta-Cain are actually playing defensive end, and Guyton is playing the Mike LB position and Thomas is playing the Strong Side LB position from this package. So, I guess it is considered the Inside because it is technically not the Outside position, but I am sure you knew all that already. Do not try to patronize me if you have no idea what you are talking about my friend. Now back to the original question of whether or not Thomas is worth his contract....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

He's worth the money in the fact the Woods and Banta-Cain are the starting OLBs without him.

Thomas is a legitimate starter at OLB and a marginal starter at ILB. He was over-hyped coming here, but, since linebacker has been a thin position since 2004, I'm glad the Patriots have him on the roster.

Now that the Patriots have two legitimate starters at ILB (Mayo and Guyton), and with McKenzie in the pipeline, I hope they address OLB this spring.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from atz640. Show atz640's posts

I think the poster who said there's a lot of good that he does that we don't see is true.  He always seems to be around the ball in one way or another and I he is playing inside which is not his strong suit.  I think if they bring back Seau and move AD outside you're going to see him a lot more.  Plus, offenses have been seemingly tending to play away from him.  I don't study film, but that's what I'm seeing.  I'm Ltown; the fair-weather knee jerk people are real annoying.  Try patience.

Sections
Shortcuts