Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?

In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?:
    In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : I hardly think my reaction is that of the knee jerk sort. I think Thomas is a good solid LB. He played OLB in the 3-4 all of last season. The year before he did play inside yes, I agree with that. As for this year he has been playing Strong Side LB in the 4-3. That is an OLB position in the 4-3 Defense. We have been playing a primarily 43 defense this year. Yes he has shifted "inside" when Burgess and Banta-Cain come onto the field in sub packages. Yet that is a "Nickel" defense sub package that you are seeing where the Pats are playing a 4-2-5. That means 4 down lineman, 2 LBs, and 5 defensive backs. Burgess and Banta-Cain are actually playing defensive end, and Guyton is playing the Mike LB position and Thomas is playing the Strong Side LB position from this package. So, I guess it is considered the Inside because it is technically not the Outside position, but I am sure you knew all that already. Do not try to patronize me if you have no idea what you are talking about my friend. Now back to the original question of whether or not Thomas is worth his contract....
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

I'm not your friend. 

Thanks for the wikipedia post.

The nickel package is used in passing situations no?

So Adalius is pass rushing from the middle in passing situations.   He's getting less opportunities from the corner.  

When Mayo gets back and Adalius is back on the outside with one hand in the dirt ready to attack,  then we'll see is he's still effective.  

I'm just telling you that it's not even week 4 and he's been playing out of position alot of the time. 

For a guy his age, 10 sacks would be a successful season.   He's about 1 1/2 sacks off the pace.  

Chill out.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm sorry are we talking about our best linebacker... our hands down best linebacker?

Thomas almost always drops into coverage, he has the makeup speed that once he has determined it is a running play instead of a passing play he can close the distance fast and make a solid open field tackle.  Nobody else can change directions like that at linebacker. We don't have Rodney Harrison or any real STRONG safety on our roster to cover tightends. 

Let's not confuse that if his only duty was to rush the passer he would blow up the stat page.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

He seems to be worth the money this season and the two previous seasons, but looks like he will have to step up his game in the next 2 to be worth his numbers. I would like to see if he restructures his deal. Chances are he won`t. If not what is the hit we would take if we try and dump him in the offseason after this year. I believe the cap penalty works out to whatever the remaining number from his signing bonus is. Do you have that number if we were to dump him before 2010?

AD's has about $4.4m in bonus proraded yearly, so if the Pats cut him after this season, they will have to eat $8.8m in dead cap space.  Since he's total cap space for the year is about $9.5m, its not a big enough total cap savings to warrent his departure - assuming he's still a viable player. 

If they cut AD after the 2010 season (only 1 year remaining on contract) the Pats will only have to eat $4.4m in dead cap and save about $6m in total cap space. 

I don't think AD will be on the Pats roster for the 2011 season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

He seems to be worth the money this season and the two previous seasons, but looks like he will have to step up his game in the next 2 to be worth his numbers. I would like to see if he restructures his deal. Chances are he won`t. If not what is the hit we would take if we try and dump him in the offseason after this year. I believe the cap penalty works out to whatever the remaining number from his signing bonus is. Do you have that number if we were to dump him before 2010?

If the Pats dumped him before the 2010 season, you've just paid AD $24m over 3 years or $8m/year.  His salary/year actually goes down for each year you keep him on the roster. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I like A.D too but do not think he will b back in 2011.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

FYI,

The one player on this year's list of "dead" cap space: Richard Seymore at about $6.4m

Since the Pats had to pay Richard about a $19m signing bonus 3 years ago and his salary numbers were much less than that, the Raiders actually get him for a completely reasonable rate for 2009. 

Next year, Seymore's salary demands expect to be much more burdensome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : I'm not your friend.  Thanks for the wikipedia post. The nickel package is used in passing situations no? So Adalius is pass rushing from the middle in passing situations.   He's getting less opportunities from the corner.   When Mayo gets back and Adalius is back on the outside with one hand in the dirt ready to attack,  then we'll see is he's still effective.   I'm just telling you that it's not even week 4 and he's been playing out of position alot of the time.  For a guy his age, 10 sacks would be a successful season.   He's about 1 1/2 sacks off the pace.   Chill out.  
    Posted by Ltown1

The problem should not be that he is not rushing from the outside. That he needs to put his hand in the dirt, like you mentioned. This guy was supposed to be a force when we signed him. So far he has been a solid contributor but really nothing more. He played inside his first year here, so I should give him a break? When he came over from Baltimore he was highly touted as being the most versatile LB in the NFL. Being able to play Inside, Outside, Defensive End, Safety and even lining up at CB in Baltimore. The guy is good don't get me wrong, that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that I think looking back maybe we overpaid for him a little bit, because he has not produced as many big plays as I think we all expected from a player with that size of a contract. The question to this thread is he worth the money. So far I think he has been, but I think like some of the more informed fans than I, have said about his contract, Bill should look to try and move him after 2010, or try and get a restructured deal in place after this season, unless he surprises this season.

Oh and Ltown Thomas is actually not blitzing that often and is motsly dropping into coverage as others have stated. He has one sack over four weeks which means he is on pace for 4 sacks over the course of the regular season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

He's definitely not worth the money. He can play and he's above average, but for the money he is making he should be making a bigger impact. He just has never done that. That said they don't have anyone even close to being able to replace him so looks like they got to keep paying a superstar salary without getting superstar results. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fredfredfred. Show Fredfredfred's posts

Vs Denver

0 tackles
    1 assisted
    0 sacks

Money!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

They ran right at him at the end of yesterday's game.... and he got blown out, 5 yards to the outside, which opened up the running lanes for Moreno.

I don't know anymore.  I'd love to see game film and know what he was supposed to do.  If he has a difficult job on the defense and he gets it done despite low stats, then he's probably worth the money to Belichick, fans be damned.  But the end of yesterday's game shed a little doubt.  Maybe they're asking too much of him to bounce between the outside (setting the edge/contain and covering the flats) and the inside (follow flow and fill against the run or cover the middle of the field).  Having tried both, they're very different.  I was a serviceable OLB/DE, but a lost MLB.  Especially within a game, it might be a bit much to expect him to switch mentalities on the fly.

At one point, he had to follow a RB who split out wide to the offense's left, at which point the Patriots were forced to call a timeout.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

I think we should trade Thomas for TO?
    BB and Brady/Moss would shut up the whole popcorn-thing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PedroiaThaDestroyah. Show PedroiaThaDestroyah's posts

who's gonna replace him? that has as much experiance has him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$?:
    He always seems to be one step away from making a great play ie (jets game almost had an interception bills game almost had a great sack) 14 tackles through 4 games???? Signing bonus: $12 million in 2007. • Option bonus: $8 million payable in 2008, applied for cap reasons in equal $2 million increments in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. • Salaries: $900,000 in '07, $900,000 in '08, $1.9 million in '09, $4.9 million in '10 and $5.9 million in '11. • Workout bonuses: $107,000 annually if he participates in the Patriots' offseason workout program in Foxboro. • Cap numbers: In succession, beginning this year, $3.4 million, $5.4 million, $6.4 million, $9.4 million, $10.4 million.
    Posted by Fredfredfred

Is the defensive scheme that is limiting AT or is AT simply not performing? A bit of both - but moreso due to the defensives schemes which prevent him from being aggressive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

No, he's not worth the $$$.  He's not playing at the physical level of a Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher type player nor does he seem to exhibit the leadership skills needed by the defense right now.  That is the downside of free agents, most just play out their contracts with the hope of avoiding injury to secure the next deal.  The teams interests become secondary. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

For the scheme the Pats run, maybe.  For what is expected on paper from the fans and media alike, no.  I still feel a traqde of some sought is needed.  Like my previous post.  Trade for Steven Jackon(Rams) and give up L. Maroney( he's from the Missouri area) and maybe a 3rd rounder.  A outside receiver??????????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

In Response to Re: Is Adalius Thomas worth the $$$? : I don't know what games you've been watching but AD has been playing inside quite a bit this year with Burgess and Banta-Cain getting much of the pass rushing  opportunities from the corner. AD has gotten outside in certain situations but he's been sharing the inside role. Like I said, let him get settled back in his spot before you throw him under the bus. Knee-Jerk reactions from fair-weather people like you are annoying.
    Posted by Ltown1

I actually think this is a fair question but I agree with you.  His production individually is very weak but so has been the production individually for the rest of this unit.  I think it boils down to how they're using him and I often wonder why he isn't rushing the passer more often.  If we need pass rush he could certainly play Defensive End.

To answer the question I think he is worth the money.  I think more fans would realize that he is a great player if he had more opportunity to produce.  When you consider our linebackers are Guyton, Mayo and Thomas - that's actually one of the best units in the NFL.  They just don't have any gamechanging stats because of the assignments.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agentcooper. Show agentcooper's posts

hey, he did have one tackle yesterday -- kind of an expensive one, it seems.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

hey, he did have one tackle yesterday -- kind of an expensive one, it seems.
    Posted by agentcooper

Haha, well put.  It was actually an assist too.  Randy Moss technically had a bigger impact on defense than he did.

Sections
Shortcuts