Is AFC East a weak division?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Is AFC East a weak division?

Our resident Giants and Colts fans usually claim that the AFC is a poor division, and thereby try to diminish the results of our team. But if the claim were true, then it should mean the AFC East has a poor out-of-division record.

Well, this is the sum of out-of-division W-L record over the past 5 years.

1. AFC N              (107-93)
    2. NFC S/AFC E    (106-94)
    4. NFC N              (105-95)
    5. NFC W             (96-104)
    6. NFC E/AFC W   (95-105)
    8. AFC S              (89-111

A couple of observations. The AFC East is steady, generally in the top half year to year. The NFC E had one winning season - back in 2009, but has been loosing out of division ever since. NFC W has gone from last to first, where AFC S has gone from first to last.  Looking at the numbers you could argue that AFC S is in a category of s*ckiness all by itself.

So, is AFC E a great division. No, I don't think it is, but it does better than I would have thought. And fans of the Giants and the Colts better turn it down a notch or two!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Re: Is AFC East a weak division?

Why did you put NFCS with AFCE records combined?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to soxrockursox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why did you put NFCS with AFCE records combined?

[/QUOTE]

They have similar records of 106-94, and NFC E and AFC W have similar records of 95-105.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Ok just asking I thought you were combining the 2 records.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Yes, but it's cyclical. But the divisional games are still tough games.  Patriots still need to win most of their division games if they want to win their conference and make a playoff stop.  Take advantage while you can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

take the Pats out of that division however and it is very weak.

I agree with "on any given Sunday"...however I think a team with an inexperienced HV and QB is going to struggle. The Bills and Phins seemingly will be in that .500 or under area for a while, and if Geno isnt a player, ditto Jets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Out of conference, non divisional games mean less, coaches won't say so but they do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with "on any given Sunday"...however I think a team with an inexperienced HV and QB is going to struggle. The Bills and Phins seemingly will be in that .500 or under area for a while, and if Geno isnt a player, ditto Jets.

[/QUOTE]

Take the leading team out of any division and that division will be weak. Also if the Pats weren't in their division the Fins and Jets wouldn't seem so weak. Nor would the Bills.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For the sake of argument I removed the record of the division winners from every year, leaving a picture of how the rest of the division did against the outside. If your argument holds, one would expect the AFC E to drop in the rankings. But the picture doesn't really change. They actually hold up okay.

AFC N   (76-74)
    NFC N   (72-78)
    AFC E   (69-81)
    NFC S   (67-83)
    NFC E   (65-85)
    NFC W  (61-89)
    AFC W  (59-91)
    AFC S   (57-93)

My guess for why there is a perception of the AFC E as a weak division is that it hasn't produced a wildcard in since what, 2010? The other teams in the division must be to competitive against each other.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

The AFC West has the AFC East and NFC West as their non division/non conference opponents next season. Will be interesting to see how the Broncos fare this year. They have road games at NE, Seattle, St Louis and Cinci, and have to play San Fran, Arizona and Indianapolis at home. Much tougher schedule.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

otay

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to cellucci's comment:
    [QUOTE]

how could he be combining the 2 records when the NFC North is alone with the same amount of games???

[/QUOTE]

I didn't. They had similar records, so I let NFC S and AFC E share the ranking - tied for 2nd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Think about what you just said: take out the best team from ANY division and it will have a similar impact. Each year there are one or two divisons with two very good teams but they usually are not the same division over a few years. Most divisions have one higher performing team. Some dont have one (a few years ago the NFC West for example).

The AFC East has been a slightly below average to a slightly above average division each year for a while. WHen the Jets made the playoffs (sorry folks) the division was slightly above average. Now the Jets, Dolphins and Bills are all tough teams even if not strong teams. I would say at this point the division is pretty average over all. I would not say it was weak.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Take the leading team out of any division and that division will be weak. Also if the Pats weren't in their division the Fins and Jets wouldn't seem so weak. Nor would the Bills.

[/QUOTE]

I think they would. Buffalo has had what, one 8 win season in a decade?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Looking through the stats from the last 5 seasons what stands out to me is that Jets, Dolphins and Bills are pretty consistent. Bills are a 6-10 team, where the two others seem to change between 7-9 and 9-7. There is rarely a year where any team in the division truly s*cks, but it is also a rare occasion - like the 2010 Jets - that they produce a really good season.

Nobody is arguing that it is a great division. But considering that they do reasonably well outside the division it stands to reason that they do poorly against the Patriots and are aside from that take away from eachother. Thats is not a sign that they are bad, it is a sign that they have the misfortune to be in a division with the best the NFL has to offer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

Our resident Giants and Colts fans usually claim that the AFC is a poor division, and thereby try to diminish the results of our team. But if the claim were true, then it should mean the AFC East has a poor out-of-division record.

Well, this is the sum of out-of-division W-L record over the past 5 years.

1. AFC N              (107-93)
    2. NFC S/AFC E    (106-94)
    4. NFC N              (105-95)
    5. NFC W             (96-104)
    6. NFC E/AFC W   (95-105)
    8. AFC S              (89-111

A couple of observations. The AFC East is steady, generally in the top half year to year. The NFC E had one winning season - back in 2009, but has been loosing out of division ever since. NFC W has gone from last to first, where AFC S has gone from first to last.  Looking at the numbers you could argue that AFC S is in a category of s*ckiness all by itself.

So, is AFC E a great division. No, I don't think it is, but it does better than I would have thought. And fans of the Giants and the Colts better turn it down a notch or two!

Let the trolls say whatever they like. Over the past fews years, the Jets and Dolphins for the most part have hovered around .500, while the Bills seemingly play everybody tough, particularly at home.

The weakest division in football is currently the AFC South, where UD6, a/k/a The Dog(gggggg), a/k/a Gomez's Indianapolis Colts reside. Houston, Jacksonville, and Tennessee are terrible teams.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The stats are there to make whatever argument you like.  My comments have always surrounded how many teams has the division sent to the playoffs.  Since the league went to 4 divisions in 2002, divisions have sent the following # of teams to the playoffs over the past 12 seasons:

1. NE - 21
    2. AS - 20
    3. AN - 19
    4. NS - 18
    5. AW - 17
    6. NN - 17
    7. NW - 16
    8. AE - 16

All divisions get one team in but which divisions produce teams with good enough records to get a 2nd or in rare cases a 3rd team into the playoffs.  The NFC E got 3 teams in twice and the AFC S got 3 in once. 

Look hard enough and you'll find the stats you want to support your position, but I like the idea of playoff teams dictate the strength of a division.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

This whole thing is a joke. The one factor that no one ever addresses it the "roller coaster" effect....... Bad teams will draft early and have, for the most part, improved within the next few years. Look at the AZ Cards. Two years before, they were DFL and the laughing stock in the NFL. They draft early, sign Warner as a FA, and they're in the Super Bowl, darn near winning it. Within a couple of years they are back in the top 10 drafting.

El Gigantes are another good reference. One year they win the SB. The next they are out of the playiofs. No consistency. Same for the Falcons, Saints, and Vikings. The Patriots are in an exclusive club of consistent teams, for different reasons. This club includes: JESTS!, Bills, Raid-uhs, Jaguars, Rams, and Lions.

Anyone but me recall the year the Seahawks won their division at 7-9? They made the playoffs as the division winner, and everyone was up in arms because teams with better records didn't make it in. They won their first playioff game. Now, it's not like any double digit team plays in and LOSES it's first playioff game, right? And the year the Cards went to the Super Bowl they were 9-7. Two years later they were 5-11. Not the stuff the Pats are made of. Keep in mind that they were in a division with the woeful Seahawks, 49'ers, and Rams.

The Strongest/Weakest Division is a term that means nothing. Because of the way they are built and run, the Pats will win at least 10-12 games every year. That's a fact. A lot depends on other teams in juris, how they progress with younger/higher round draft picks,a nd how they "gel". Reading any more into this is crazy and unintelligent. No one will dispute what a great run franc hise the Steelers are. Even they had down years afetr Super Bowl appearences, mostly due to aging players and injuries. Can't point to ownership or coaching.

The Patriots have a formula of retooling to stay young. Now, they need to start sinning teh BIG games at the end of the post season. But I'd rather be in the dancehall than to be a JESTS! fan. Or a Bills fan, or a Rams fan, or a Lions fan, or a Jaguars fan........  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

The AFC East has the best record playing oppenets outside of their own division last year.  Take it all with a grain of salt. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Its pretty mediocre but so are most other divisions.

AFC N - mediocre 

AFC S - horrible

AFC W - strong

NFC E - mediocre

NFC N - below avg (all the mediocre divisions had one team that was a step above the rest)

NFC S - mediocre

NFC W - strong

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Just dump the woeful NY Jets...45 consecutive years of laughable buffoonery should be enough...get rid of the Jets and the division wouldn't be half bad.....the Jets are the NFL's version of the "Pottstown Firebirds"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

...and whose fault is it?  Not the Patriots!

Every team in that division has the same opportunity to improve itself every season.  How the Patriots are able to stay competitive this last decade plus is attributable to how well the team is run.  Is it the Pats' fault the other teams can't keep up?  Nope.

So, for all you out of town Pat haters, quit using the Pats are in a weak division to diminish the team's accomplishments.  The Pats have to play 10 other teams outside of that division, a schedule which is tougher than the other AFC East teams,and even better teams when it gets to the playoffs. The fact the Patriots have gotten to the AFCCG three years in a row is a clear sign the "weak division" argument has not hurt their ability to go deep into the playoffs. Blame the other teams in the division for their not being good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My numbers have the Patriots and three relative bunnies.  It's not who you beat, it's how well you beat them.

By my numbers the Patriots were playing at a strength of 10.5 victories out of 16 as of February 1.  Add what you want for Revis, Browner, Gronk coming back, Wilfork possibly coming back, and subtract for a few losses such as Talib.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My numbers have the Patriots and three relative bunnies.  It's not who you beat, it's how well you beat them.

By my numbers the Patriots were playing at a strength of 10.5 victories out of 16 as of February 1.  Add what you want for Revis, Browner, Gronk coming back, Wilfork possibly coming back, and subtract for a few losses such as Talib.

[/QUOTE]

They'll be 14-2 for the season and host the Donkies in the playoffs ... Horseface and the Donkies have to play the NFC West this year...BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Put the Jets on Staten Island and disconnect the island and push those losers into the Atlantic...they suck...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Sections
Shortcuts