Is Baker the missing link???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Is Baker the missing link???

In Super Bowl 42 the Giants took the deep routes away. As a result, Welker had 10 catches and would have been MVP if the Pats D had held. Additionally, the O-Line was brutal. In the last two Super Bowl wins we had a blocking TE who could also catch - Graham. Now we have Baker, who can block (not as good as Graham but better than Watson) and catch (better than Graham and Watson). Does Baker create a second inside option while offering blocking ability that will help prevent teams like the Giants from teeing off on Brady?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

Re: Is Baker the missing link???

he doesn't look anything like bigfoot!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I would say he blocks more like Yeti and catches like the Lock Ness monster.

This should be interesting to watch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Yep! I think this is the guy. He and Brady clicked. Plus the Pats are going to rely more on a blocking TE. Isn't the idea to keep Brady on his feet? Heck, I'd take the TE we had in 2001 over Watson. Watson is waiting for something. What I don't know. Classic case of a guy with more talent in his little pinky than most ballplayers but he plays with no passion or heart. He won't fight so the Pats found someone else! Belichick went out and got Baker. He's moving on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

i believe he was refering to this....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

beastie like the pic. Baker looked good no doubt Graham was a beast in our blocking system , way underated by fans and media.I really like what I've seen so far, we are this years Patriots as in 2009. We are reinventing ourselves and not trying to replicate what was successful, but will be successful. Too many fans and teams try to be carbon copies of what was successful and get hung up on replacing players and not replacing strengths of positions and matchups, which is where games are won and lost. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Is Baker the missing link???:
    [QUOTE]In Super Bowl 42 the Giants took the deep routes away. As a result, Welker had 10 catches and would have been MVP if the Pats D had held. Additionally, the O-Line was brutal. In the last two Super Bowl wins we had a blocking TE who could also catch - Graham. Now we have Baker, who can block (not as good as Graham but better than Watson) and catch (better than Graham and Watson). Does Baker create a second inside option while offering blocking ability that will help prevent teams like the Giants from teeing off on Brady?
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

Baker stinks. Jets did not want him, and Keller was immensely better. Baker fumbles after the catch all the time and gets little YAC. Forget this guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: Is Baker the missing link???:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is Baker the missing link??? : Baker stinks. Jets did not want him, and Keller was immensely better. Baker fumbles after the catch all the time and gets little YAC. Forget this guy.
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE

LOL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

4 TE's all have uniquely different sets of skills,Alex Smith is a great blocker when in motion thats how Cadillac Williams got so many yards a few years back he would sweep and then cut back off of a Smith block so when the RB's in New England figure out how to follow his blocks they will roll up enormous yardage.Watson is an enigma what a bunch of talent that can't shine,I can't figure it out.Devree could be the odd man out but he is a good pass catching TE and as for Thomas he too is the reciever type but he is learning how to block a little better.So someone might get traded from this group!! So whose it going to be????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

I'm not really sure...those touchdowns seemed a little easy. but I guess that could be from good route running who knows at this point. We'll see in a few weeks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from glostafishermen. Show glostafishermen's posts

The one thing Baker does that Watson doesn't do is catch the rock!!! He also creates space after the catch which ='s YAC! Yes, Watson is chiselled like a Greek God, but all those Greek Gods are statues in Rome, sound familiar? Because that's what Watson is, a statue with all the talent in the world. He looks so uncomfortable after he catches the ball, he looks like a rat in a maze, not sure where to run. Give Baker the chance to show what he can do, cause he can't do any worse than what Watson has done.
    Dwayne Milne, Rapid City, SD. formerly of Gloucester.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

I thought that 4 million year old Lucy chick was the missing link....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Piltdown Man was a hoax..no opposable thumb for catching the curl routes and text messaging.  Zinjanthropus was a hell of a blocker from the four point stance, but was cut because he had trouble absorbing the play book.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]Piltdown Man was a hoax..no opposable thumb for catching the curl routes and text messaging.  Zinjanthropus was a hell of a blocker from the four point stance, but was cut because he had trouble absorbing the play book.
    Posted by krismk[/QUOTE]

Piltdown man didn't even have any hands.. no wonder his jaws were fractured; kept taking slant passes on the chin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]Zinjanthropus was a hell of a blocker from the four point stance, but was cut because he had trouble absorbing the play book.
    Posted by krismk[/QUOTE]

Zinjanthropus wasn't cut, he's in Minnesota now wearing #4. 

Still having problems with the playbook.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I don't think Baker is a "missing link", but he has come in and (so far) won the starting job, which I don't think was an easy task. Thomas has looked improved in training camp, so it will be interesting to see how that translates to actual game play. I have not heard or seen enough of Watson this year to make any kind of judgement, but with all the tough competition, he needs to perform well to earn a place on the roster. Smith has been a bit of a disappointment--he's got the talent and experience, but he needs to learn the offense and get on the same page as Brady. Devree has shown good hands, but has not done well enough at blocking to earn a spot on the final 53.

Right now, I think Baker is the only lock, and Thomas, Watson, Smith and Devree are fighting for two spots.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Is Baker the missing link???:
    [QUOTE]In Super Bowl 42 the Giants took the deep routes away. As a result, Welker had 10 catches and would have been MVP if the Pats D had held. Additionally, the O-Line was brutal. In the last two Super Bowl wins we had a blocking TE who could also catch - Graham. Now we have Baker, who can block (not as good as Graham but better than Watson) and catch (better than Graham and Watson). Does Baker create a second inside option while offering blocking ability that will help prevent teams like the Giants from teeing off on Brady?
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

No....he is better looking than that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]The one thing Baker does that Watson doesn't do is catch the rock!!! He also creates space after the catch which ='s YAC! Yes, Watson is chiselled like a Greek God, but all those Greek Gods are statues in Rome, sound familiar? Because that's what Watson is, a statue with all the talent in the world. He looks so uncomfortable after he catches the ball, he looks like a rat in a maze, not sure where to run. Give Baker the chance to show what he can do, cause he can't do any worse than what Watson has done. Dwayne Milne, Rapid City, SD. formerly of Gloucester.
    Posted by glostafishermen[/QUOTE] Baker is a fumbling machine after the catch. That is one reason they released him. Remember two year ago in Foxboro when the JESTS and Pennington were putting up a good fight against us? Chad hit Baker wide open down the middle, he lugs it to the red zone, then the ball pops out of his hands so nicely at the first "contact", a pinkie touch by the safety. Let's not get too excited about this guy just yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

pre-season,and the season is much diffrent.thats when you will see whats good,or not,but as always you wont see a te on the pats have a jason wittens type numbers.we have to many good receivers who will have them.the other teams with the te,s that get big numbers,dont have great receivers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DZ1958. Show DZ1958's posts

Watson's only claim to fame to date is his 95YD chase-down of Champ Bailey's interception return - a DEFENSIVE play. I think he's a born Linebacker trying to play TE. Since BB likes his players to be multi-taskers and the LB corps. is thin already, let's try Watson back there for a while and see what happens.

DZ Newburyport

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SullyFromMA. Show SullyFromMA's posts

God damn it I am SLOW. I couldn't figure out what any of this was all about... der... "missing link". Well played gentlemen, well played.

Sections
Shortcuts