Is "ball control" the right strategy when your offense is better than your defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Is

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

Ok, good enough on Tom "reading the riot act" to BB. Likewise, I think you are taking the "Brady was LIVID during his exit interview with BB after the 2006 season" that you recall one of the Boston writers saying back then as too literally. I rememeber that well. It was simple sensataionalism by the media, imagine that, to paint a picture that "All was no well in Nirvana". We were the AMAZING NE PATRIOTS and were perfect! They needed soemthing to shake up some media attention for their readers.......thats all. Tom went to Bill to discuss next year and share his wish list. Bill respectfully listened and obviously entertained, then reacted to his SUGGESTIONS, not demands. They have done AMAZINGLY well, even in light of the failures. I agree 100% with your  closing reamarks above. We do need to put more focus on balance and execution in the end to avoid these critical lapses moving forward.  I sincerely believe that no other 2-men, QB and head coach combination, rival what we have right now in Tom and Bill. But that is only until the next QB has Bill to push him, teach him, and lead him as his head coach! As if they read our posts, I am confident that we will see correction in the areas that you, I and many others talk about here. As a result, I feel very good about them winning the Superbowl again, THIS SEASON. So, thank God they listen to us!!!!

Trust me when I tell you the way it was framed by Holley, Curran or Perillo (I cannot remember who it was, but I think it was said on WEEI by Holley)....it wasn't meant to be sensationalist at all.

It was meant to explain why BB traded 3 draft picks for Moss and Welker. Each trade was a shock, if you remember. I believe Welker's came before the draft and then MOss's literally on draft weekend.

The media approach with bashing BB and that seed was planted until Spygate in Sept of 2007. That's when it took off with the approach for them to lie, sensationalize, etc.

I am just telling ya, I know what I heard/read at the time and Brady was not happy by a very firm source close to the organization.   Like I said, I can see why. His favorite WR disappeared off the roster and it made Caldwell the defacto #1.

BUt, if you think about it, the crux of our problem has not changed. It really hasn't.

Example: In 2006, with Gaffney signed on, Minny had the worst pass D in the NFL, so we shotgun spread them into oblivion winning 41-0, I believe, in Minnesota.

So, in that case, it shows WHY we would use a shotgun spread/pass first gameplan, but it also shows it doesn't matter whose name is on the jersey.

I bring this up, because pre 2007, that offense which was new via McDaniels, was more strategic.

Now, it seems like we just run the shotgun spread just because. Or, just because Brady prefers it.

That's my analysis. I think it goes deeper than it just being a coincidence. It's become like this big tease for an addict of sorts. Brady is the addict and the shotgun spread plays is the booze in the liquor cabinet.

I can't agree with you more about the shot gun formation. It has been absolutely overused to our detriment. I too would venture to say that Tom prefers it, as would most QBs who are effective at making good pre-snap reads and who are smart enough to know the right audible. It makes his job a lot more enjoyable and rewarding for him. I have no doubts that watching Gomer do what he did and hearing all of the praise that he got made Tom a little envious if not determined to prove his own abilities to do the same thing. So, yeah there was a bit of a slide in that direction since it proved so productive. Now, we are correcting back to the other direction ever so slightly to mitigate the predictability of the offense. BUT this is not in reaction to failures to execute, as that is an individual player issue, not a style thing. It is all part of the Offensive evolution and in the process, I see that they will find their way to more balance just like many of us here are begging for. Soemtimes the intoxication of records and big numbers can get the best of anybody. I think BB sets expectations and establishes the right mindset. The errors and needs are blatantly obvious if we see them so clearly. That means they see them too and will react. Pretty easy if you ask me. Its only football! I think our mad scientist and his QB makes all of us happy this year. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I disagree. I think he looked at GOmer's stats post 2004, has 3 rings and turned to BB and said something along the lines of "I want what he has stats wise and I think we can do that here".

Yep. I do. I really do.

I have no doubt you think that because you are nuts. And further, you think that because you think something, it must be true.

Here's a clue.

It's not true. You're making it up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I have no doubt you think that because you are nuts. And further, you think that because you think something, it must be true.

Here's a clue.

It's not true. You're making it up.

yep. that's the scary part. Legend in his own mind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Translation? All of them have some variation of mentall illness.

Righto dumbkoff. We're mentally ill because we claim numerous conspiracy theories against BB, have numerous fake accounts, always return after countless bannings, slam one certain greatest Patriot player ever on nearly every post, constantly make things up as though they are factual and have obsession with personal details about other poster's lives.

Oh wait, we don't do those things, YOU DO! LMAO@U

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'll bet you right now, he won't get to 35 TDs this year, and he'll back more under center more so than we've seen in years.

You know, your posts are so chock full of BS I really have to just pick one thing to destroy per post, otherwise I would be making a dozen replies to every one of your nutjob rants.

This one: Do you realize 35 TD passes have been achieved only 24 times in the history of the league? You act as if it's common. Brady might well not reach that lofty level even if nothing on the team were changed. He's only done it 3 times in his career. Learn the game.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I can't agree with you more about the shot gun formation. It has been absolutely overused to our detriment. I too would venture to say that Tom prefers it, as would most QBs who are effective at making good pre-snap reads and who are smart enough to know the right audible. It makes his job a lot more enjoyable and rewarding for him. I have no doubts that watching Gomer do what he did and hearing all of the praise that he got made Tom a little envious if not determined to prove his own abilities to do the same thing. So, yeah there was a bit of a slide in that direction since it proved so productive. Now, we are correcting back to the other direction ever so slightly to mitigate the predictability of the offense. BUT this is not in reaction to failures to execute, as that is an individual player issue, not a style thing. It is all part of the Offensive evolution and in the process, I see that they will find their way to more balance just like many of us here are begging for. Soemtimes the intoxication of records and big numbers can get the best of anybody. I think BB sets expectations and establishes the right mindset. The errors and needs are blatantly obvious if we see them so clearly. That means they see them too and will react. Pretty easy if you ask me. Its only football! I think our mad scientist and his QB makes all of us happy this year. 

[/QUOTE]

This work for ya, ATJ? lmao

RallyC,

I agree that all we can do is move forward. These discussions were always meant for real fans to be honest with the facts and share ideas as to why. Unfortunately, the ones who don't want the real fans to be honest and discuss, they end up trolling these discussions in fear of the truth, and how what they've been conditioned to believe, has been wrong the whole time.

It's sort of like asking someone in their 70s to vote Repubican or vice versa, pretty much admitting they've been voting the whole time for the wrong party. It's a hard thing to do.

But, after years and years of evidence, research I've done that matches what gut feelings on this topic, etc, the jig is up, IMO.

I think BB has had it and has conceded defeat with what Brady preferred to be doing as the QB and leader of this offense. I really do. 

I think he watched film on Welker and after watching his game vs Balt in January, the light bulb went off and he realized this stuff can't go on anymore. So, he lowballed him so badly, it turned Welker off.  At least that way he could save face, so even if Welker signed the 5 mil per, he'd still be phased out the next 2 years of his deal.

I've said this before, but BB was trialing out Edelman last year in camp for this same contingency.  Obviously, this Hernandez thing makes it more dicey, but I still think how well he manages the books, that problem won't affect the goal.  A cheap Sudfeld might make the team, Edelman might stay healthy all year for once and no one will remember that Hernandez or Welker even played here, as Ridley/Bolden and Blount run amuck for a combined with Brady more so under Center and more two sets or possibly more I formations.

It will be a huge relief to see it again. As much as it was fun to watch 2007, the aftereffects of what it has meant with how Brady runs our offense, and the 3-5 decisions he makes in key moments, leaves a LOT to be desired.  ANd, it all channels back to the pass first/shotgun preference and 40+ passes with leads blown. Every single time. It struck me as a fact in Week 3 up in Buffalo in 2011.  That's when this is all started and the BBWs started stalking me here.

As a diehard fan, I am not going to lie about it either.

[/QUOTE]

Offenses don't blow leads.  They either have a lead or they don't.  Not scoring a ton more points after getting a lead is not blowing a lead. It's not EXTENDING a lead which is not blowing anything.

Only Defenses can blow a lead and you are right,  They do it all the time.

It is also not the job of the offense to rest the D.  It is the job of the O to score points, no matter if it takes 30 seconds or 10 minutes.

On the other hand, it is the J.O.B of the defense to limit points AND GET THE BALL BACK TO THE O in the most efficient manner.  That is the function of a defense.  Support and protect the O and the lead.

It is not the J.O.B of the O to get the ball back to the D in the most efficient manner.

Offenses don't want to be on the bench.  Defenses do, but it is their responsibility to get there, not the O's.  Both sides of the ball get tired.  Why is is that only the Pats D gets tired and not the other D's?  Because they are on the field much longer than any one else, other than the opposing O's.

8 possessions x's 2.5 minutes= 20 minutes for the O.  100% normal, average NFL play.

8 possessions x's 5 minutes = 40 minutes for the D.      100% abnormal, wayyyy below average, NFL play.

Get it!  One is normal the other is not.

Only people who are NOT NORMAL themselves, can't understand that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Brady is used to going over 35 every now, isn't he? And, the fact is, all the elite QBs go over that or are right in and around that number anyway. Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, etc. Heck, Cassel had 27 in 2010.

LOL at bringing Cassels name up as having 27.  27 is not 35.  That's like lumping Matt Flynn in with Aaron Rodgers and Bret Favre because he broke a game franchise records for TD's and passing yards.  Cassel is a weak argument, dude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hey, TFB12 and Anonymis, how come you aren't lecturing "Bustchise" and one of his 3 board names here? Hmm?

Where's the outrage, fellas? Hmm?

Just out of curiosity, can you please confirm what his other 2 board names are?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Navin Johnson and Bunker Spreckels.   He uses the latter to mock me. He changed the way I had it spelled on my previous board name and does what he does, which is behave like a modern day Jeffrey Dahmer loose on the internet in a basement down in NJ.

Are you sure those were him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

As usual, you miss the point. Stats are UP across the league and have been off the lockout with more emphasis on getting revenue into Goodell's office.

So, even Matt Cassel.

The irony is, the Chiefs D with Cassel in the ball control offense was VERY similar to ours all year.

We allowed 313 points as a defense that year which is pretty darn good for starting 4 rookies on it, they allowed 326.  Difference for us in the postseson was Brady turning it over, dodging phantom sackers and wanting to run shotguns all night long, with no ball control whatsoever.

I would MUCH rather Brady throw for less TDs if it meant more ball control and better game management from him. THAT is the point.

Where did you go to college? Your reading comprehension is just absolutely awful. Every time you challenge me, you show you miss the point completely and then just add in a "lol" with exclamation points as if you're some teeniebopper.

Ugh.

As usual, you use horrible examples.  I believe the number being discussed was 35 td's.  You use Matt Cassell's one time of 27 td's as an example.  Bwahahaha!  Fail!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Recidivists just can't control themselves.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Righto dumbkoff. We're mentally ill because we claim numerous conspiracy theories against BB, have numerous fake accounts, always return after countless bannings, slam one certain greatest Patriot player ever on nearly every post, constantly make things up as though they are factual and have obsession with personal details about other poster's lives.

[/QUOTE]

1. Phat Rex is the only one with various fake accounts, PatsFan1966. Whopps. And you.

2. I don't care if Brady is the best player ever. I like to live in the present, not the past. Unless you have mental illness, which you have shown you do, or think Brady is above reproach and ifallible, Brady is to be held responsible for hurting our team just like any underpeforming, highly paid player.

3. The media bashing BB when they can, is not a conspiracy. It's a fact because it makes them money when they get clicks on an article or blog. The media hates. These are facts.

4. I never make things up. Ever. If anyone sourced their facts well here, it's me.  I might preface a secondary statement, with "IMO", which means, "in my opinion", Einstein.

5. You just called me a name, didn't address the rest of me counter towards you and so far I have not seen TFB12 or Anonymis come in here and take you to task for doing that as the one intiating the namecalling.

You all sure enjoy being hypocrites, don't you?

[/QUOTE]

I've told YOU over and over and over dumbkoff, I will not refrain from bludgeoning YOU at every turn. You are an idiot and a pariah to this board and I will tell you that daily.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

paranoia, conspiracies, lies....oh, my

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. Phat Rex is the only one with various fake accounts, PatsFan1966. Whopps. And you.

2. I don't care if Brady is the best player ever. I like to live in the present, not the past. Unless you have mental illness, which you have shown you do, or think Brady is above reproach and ifallible, Brady is to be held responsible for hurting our team just like any underpeforming, highly paid player.

3. The media bashing BB when they can, is not a conspiracy. It's a fact because it makes them money when they get clicks on an article or blog. The media hates. These are facts.

4. I never make things up. Ever. If anyone sourced their facts well here, it's me.  I might preface a secondary statement, with "IMO", which means, "in my opinion", Einstein.

5. You just called me a name, didn't address the rest of me counter towards you and so far I have not seen TFB12 or Anonymis come in here and take you to task for doing that as the one intiating the namecalling.

You all sure enjoy being hypocrites, don't you?

[/QUOTE]

I've told YOU over and over and over dumbkoff, I will not refrain from bludgeoning YOU at every turn. You are an idiot and a pariah to this board and I will tell you that daily.

[/QUOTE]

^Backepdal.

Babe unglued.

[/QUOTE]

What is Bakepdal?  A new anti psychotic drug they are testing on you?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I was surprised this thread got so much discussion.  Then I read the posts and realized it didn't get any discussion at all. 

Anyone interested in talking about ball contol strategies?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

What? No, you miss the point, obviously and now are embarrassed.  If Cassel can almost hit 30 TDs, 35 isn't a lot for Tom Brady. Pretty simple point there that is being made for  the average adult reading it.

When Brady isn't racing for 40 TDs, that will be a better Brady. He used to do 28 TDs and 14 INTs almost like clockwork from 2001-2006.

2007 has completely altered his approach and the seemingly obsessed quest to get to and surpass 40 TDS.

It's the flat out truth.

I believe he had 36 in 2010. That was incredible because of the lack of INTs and the way he was running our offense, very much like 2004 and that way.

Just get over it.  If you are a real fan and care about another SB, you;ll finally admit he has to be a better game manager and field general. It's not all a race for stats.

Very rarely do I ever get embarrasssed and believe me, this isn't one of those rare times.

It was one time! And 27 isn't 35.  What part of this don't you understand?  How many times has cassell thrown even close to that number ever again?  You use bad examples to push your agenda. 

I am a real fan, of course I care about another SB.  But I know that won't happen until the Patriots defense gets better.  The Patriots had 2 more SB victories in their grasp going into the final minutes of the last two SB's they were in.  The defense allowed game winning TD drives of 83 and 88 yards to lose them both.   You are pointing fingers in the wrong direction, dude!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I was surprised this thread got so much discussion.  Then I read the posts and realized it didn't get any discussion at all. 

Anyone interested in talking about ball contol strategies?  

lmao....hijacked again...

sure...see my comment at the beginning of the thread

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Ok here you go rusty.

1.The defense was giving up alot of ground to the offense.

2.He was tring to froce a few balls in yes he did but not to pad states or his ego thats where your wrong IMO.

3.The defense gave up the final points when they could have held so screw this bend dont break defense ,step up and play.

4.they were mistakes on both sides of the ball ,but the defense has been the problem most of the time!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I asked you to further your first post and you ran away.  Case closed. You're intimidated.  Obviously. Not hard to see.

Even when someone starts a thread for debate, weasels like you run away unable to back what you originally stated.

Learn from others who know more or don't comment.

Good Lord!  You have issues, Rusty.  I'm pretty positive nobody is intimidated by you.  LOL!

Sections
Shortcuts