Is BB a defensive genius?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Is BB a defensive genius?

Bellicheck used to draw up schemes to confuse Peyton Manning; now he gets dominated by Flacco

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Bellicheck used to draw up schemes to confuse Peyton Manning; now he gets dominated by Flacco

What is more baffling is that the no huddle shotgun offense was what picked apart the Pats for three straight drives. Baltimore was not having trouble with the Patriots doing the same thing. So is Brady, Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez, Ridley and Vereeen just not as good as Flacco, Boldin, Smith, Pitta, Rice and Pierce? Is the Ravens defense (who was led to believe last week was old and slow) that much better than the Patriots? Or is John Harbaugh a better coach than BB?

My actual guess is that Dean Pees and Jim Caldwell are that much better than Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels. They saw weaknesses (their own and the other teams and adapted in the second half). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

His body of work in recent years certainly does not merit defensive genius.  But, I'll plagiarize Mike Reiss.  He wonders whether or not BB the GM sometimes doesn't give BB the coach what he needs.  No amount of genius can overcome a lack of talent.  I think there are two positions that BB seems unable to evaluate for talent; WR and DB.  We got lucky with Dennard this year, but other than that Assante was the last good pick.  He is very good at the other positions, but sure seems blind when it comes to WR's and DB's.  And of course, DB is where most of our problems have been.  We've drafted so many players in the secondary in recent years that we should have the top secondary in the NFL.  

So, perhaps he still is but BB the GM just can't give him the players BB the coach needs, especially in the secondary.  But seriously, doesn't it seem like he has a blind spot there?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Yes, Bill used to be named Romeo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

But, I'll plagiarize Mike Reiss.  He wonders whether or not BB the GM sometimes doesn't give BB the coach what he needs. 

Funny place this board. I have said that for 4-5 years and get abused for stating the truth, but Reiss is a trusted pundit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Liked the progress this year, the draft picks (Jones trailed off), the talib move ( if could have gotten in better shape...!)...  Overall  BB looks good, but in the end its the players who make the plays out on the field.

Actually would prefer if he stayed on defense . Im beginning to suspect he is messing up the offense with whatever system they are running  since it has failed in big games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to carawaydj's comment:

But, I'll plagiarize Mike Reiss.  He wonders whether or not BB the GM sometimes doesn't give BB the coach what he needs. 

Funny place this board. I have said that for 4-5 years and get abused for stating the truth, but Reiss is a trusted pundit.

no, you only get abused for stating the truth by the guy with 9 names. actually, it took more time for some than others, but most agree with you now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

The people who once said Parcells never won anything without BB might morph the saying into BB has never won anything without Crennel....

Don't forget Weis calling the offense. 

Also, Parcells won a Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler at QB. Oh yeah, almost forgot, Crennel was in New York for both of the Parcells Giants Super Bowls as well (Special Teams in 1986 and Defensive Line in 1990).

parcells had an awesome staff many of who found success elsewhere: bellichick, coughlin, fox, crennel....i know i'm missing a couple too

btw doesn't pepper johnson work for the pats?

Pepper Johnson is the linebackers coach. Too bad his two Super Bowl rings (as a player) and two pro bowl appearances do not compare to whatever it is Matt Patricia did as a Grad Assistant at RPI, or else, he could be the Patriots defensive coordinator.

yeah u would think he'd maybe get a shot

I have heard that he would like the job. Not sure why Bill thinks his is unqualified for it...

I think they havent promoted him for fear of him being courted the next year. With Yes men like Matty P on the Job, noone will try to steal him with his porous defense. If Peppers took over, we would be a mean bunch, BB would look inept and Peppers would have a job eslewhere the next year. Former players relate to current ones. Players loved playing for Romeo because he was like a father figure none of them had...BB, not so much! He is just a stern Dictator with a little fluff for veterans but if you are young, he is gonna work you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The people who once said Parcells never won anything without BB might morph the saying into BB has never won anything without Crennel....

Don't forget Weis calling the offense. 

Also, Parcells won a Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler at QB. Oh yeah, almost forgot, Crennel was in New York for both of the Parcells Giants Super Bowls as well (Special Teams in 1986 and Defensive Line in 1990).

parcells had an awesome staff many of who found success elsewhere: bellichick, coughlin, fox, crennel....i know i'm missing a couple too

btw doesn't pepper johnson work for the pats?

Pepper Johnson is the linebackers coach. Too bad his two Super Bowl rings (as a player) and two pro bowl appearances do not compare to whatever it is Matt Patricia did as a Grad Assistant at RPI, or else, he could be the Patriots defensive coordinator.

yeah u would think he'd maybe get a shot

This is almost insane, and how you lose good coaches. Patricia over johnson I will never understand. to show us how much confidence bb has in Patricia in gig situations and games, guess who is coaching up the defense?....not Patricia. pay crennel...can Patricia ...easy math

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

BB needs or have one job, Head Coach, D. Coord., or GM. Doing all three gives that particular position less attention than what it needs.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

BB needs or have one job, Head Coach, D. Coord., or GM. Doing all three gives that particular position less attention than what it needs.

When I said this comparing him to Shanahan after Denver's SB wins, I like Babe was a clueless troll who knew nothing about football let alone the Pats.Funny how the real trols seem to be the ones who never form an opinion BEFORE something happens but spends their time bashing anyone who doesn't agree with their rose colored views. This post I wrote on September 19 drew plenty of "troll spankers" out of the woodwork

posted at 9/19/2012 11:24 PM EDT

This team will NOT win the Super Bowl unless we revert to the Pats of Dillon,Smith and play making defense. The D has already shown that it is more than up to the task early. Stevan Ridley is as good or better(explosive) than both Dillon and Smith during our glory ( We knew we'd win) years. With an O line in flux( for now), Brady is best served under center (with the OPTION TO AUDIBLE) than spread with barely any protection. Teams have seen this for a DECADE and OUR receivers aren't made to break tackles on our BUBBLE SCREENS with the bigger and faster corner. If we are to remain ths fast break O , we need more Torrey Smith than Wes Welker(Speed and Size).That is not who we are anymore. More Ridley, more play action.... LESS RAZZLE DAZZLE( Looking at u Josh and Woody)

RIDLEY IS  A BEAST!!!!!!!

BRADY STILL EXCELS AT PLAY ACTION!!!!

THE DEFENSE ALREADY HAS TEAM GAME PLANING FOR "THEM"!!!!!

except no one game planned for your defense

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think he is a defensive genius - if anyone else was coaching our defense they wouldn't be able to beat Arlington Cathlolic. Guarantee Arrington and Chung would struggle against high school kids if it weren't for Belichick hiding them in his schemes.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think he is a defensive genius - if anyone else was coaching our defense they wouldn't be able to beat Arlington Cathlolic. Guarantee Arrington and Chung would struggle against high school kids if it weren't for Belichick hiding them in his schemes.

I think all genius' needs a great supporting cast that pushes them and challenges them to think outside of themselves. We now have BB and the Pips....

Robert Plant has had a very successful solo career but if he teamed with Jimmy Page, JP Jones and John Bonhams son, he'd be back on top.....lets get the band together for one more run!!!!!

Romeo, Romeo, where fore art tho ????

gotta say i got the concert from the O2 in london in dec 07 dvds and i was blown away
    band was tight and powerful and plant hit notes i didnt think he could anymore!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think all genius' needs a great supporting cast that pushes them and challenges them to think outside of themselves. We now have BB and the Pips....

Robert Plant has had a very successful solo career but if he teamed with Jimmy Page, JP Jones and John Bonhams son, he'd be back on top.....lets get the band together for one more run!!!!!

Is there anything better than Bonham? I just spent two months trying to learn how to play Fool In The Rain...the guy had such a style...very tough to play his stuff.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Is there anything better than Bonham? I just spent two months trying to learn how to play Fool In The Rain...the guy had such a style...very tough to play his stuff.

awesome groove on that one