Is BB getting a pass on these boards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Is BB getting a pass on these boards

Regarding the 2009 draft? 12 picks, Vollmer and Edelman still on the team. 

I always thought Brace was injured, not simply a bad player. I assume some team gives him a shot next year. 

I think playing beside Vince makes Lovie/Deadrick better players, but I still think interior DL is where the #1 draft choice needs to be spent.

In addition, would also like to see an experienced interior DL brought in. Not a break the bank type of guy, simply a solid vet on a team friendly deal. Would love it to be Seymour, but assume its a long shot. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Is BB getting a pass on these boards

rkarp...  the guy is drafting based on his and his support staff's research and information, choosing the types of players which best fit the "Patriots" vision he has for a team.  When you read these types of posts, it makes me wonder if the fans on this board, who have all the right to question these draft choices, actually believe they'd do a better job.  What is not taken into consideration is how that player actually lives up to the "vision" BB had when the player was drafted.  What did BB see, which is information we as fans are not privy to, that made him pick that player?  Noting your comment about Brace, do you really think BB drafted a "bad" player or did the onset of injuries, which no one can predict, derail a promising career?  If the fan base of this team is awaiting a "big name" draftee, we'll be waiting a long time as that is not the Patriots way.  There are VERY few teams that strike the super bowl jackpot because of their drafts.  It takes a lot of luck and being in the right place at the right time.  Look at the team makeup of the Pats in those 3 out of 4 SB winning years 2001 - 2005.  How many top flight players were "name" players on those teams? 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Chung and Prior aren't on the team?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Pryor hasn't played since week 2 of 2011

Chung seemingly on the way out. 

The three 2 nd rd busts should be making big contributions this year. Lets not forget there were also two 3 rd busts that same year 

amazing the Pats are playing so well with 2009 draft so down. Kudos to BB the coach, jeers to BB the GM ( can anyone on this board criticize BB yet still be a Pats fan)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Who cares about this stuff? Do they hand out rings for best draft and I just missed it? Does it matter if he drafted a guy, got him UDFA, off waivers or in a trade? Belichick and the FO is responsible for the roster and he and the coaches for performance on the field. The roster is just fine and the team wins way more than it loses, year after year. That's what he needs to be judged on, not how many players from some draft years ago are still in the league.  Myself, I would say he and his staff, both FO and coaching, are doing a stellar job on both counts.  

Are you really more concerned with minutiae like how they did on a draft going on four years ago than with the team's record? This is the kind of stuff people just looking to find fault would go looking for.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I don't know why people just can't enjoy this ride we're on.

I remember when the ride wasn't so sweet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

What is your obsession of critiquing Bill's personnel decisions?  My goodness.  Can you name me ONE GM that has had more success than BB over the past decade?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

I don't know why people just can't enjoy this ride we're on.

I remember when the ride wasn't so sweet.

That would be outlandish, Salcon.  Critique, critique, critique!  Who cares about the final product?  We love to overanalyze each and every decision that BB makes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Regarding the 2009 draft? 12 picks, Vollmer and Edelman still on the team. 

I always thought Brace was injured, not simply a bad player. I assume some team gives him a shot next year. 

I think playing beside Vince makes Lovie/Deadrick better players, but I still think interior DL is where the #1 draft choice needs to be spent.

In addition, would also like to see an experienced interior DL brought in. Not a break the bank type of guy, simply a solid vet on a team friendly deal. Would love it to be Seymour, but assume its a long shot. 

I used to think Brace was playing injured too - especially his rookie year - because I really couldn't understand why/how a guy that big could play so poorly against the run. Turns out he just sucks. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Guy,I am in the parking lot waiting to go into the game. If you don't want to read the thread, then pass on bye. No one forcing you to read. Just biding some time before I go into the stadium.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The three 2 nd rd busts should be making big contributions this year. Lets not forget there were also two 3 rd busts that same year 

amazing the Pats are playing so well with 2009 draft so down. Kudos to BB the coach, jeers to BB the GM ( can anyone on this board criticize BB yet still be a Pats fan)

Chung may not be great but he was a starter since year two.  Even if he's gone next year that's something, it's not like every 2nd rounder becomes a multi- year starter.  There are plenty of guys that come in the 2nd round and never do that.  Vollmer made All Pro in 2009, only a handful of guys every draft ever do that.  They also moved picks into 2010 leading to Gronk and Hernandez. So yeah, it could be better but I think your chicken littling it a little.  

Given the Pats have had probably the worst average drafting position over the last ten years and just once again are a leader in pro-bowlers I think they're doing pretty good.  Some years are better than others but overall it's like a QB completes 90% of his passes and you say "Hey what about the 3 passes he didn't complete, why don't we talk about those?"  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

How can you get a pass when you remain one of the top teams year after year?  I don't care if his drafts are busts and he wins with vets, the matter of the fact is he is winning!  I know, no SB's in a while but is there a team our there who can say they are better year after year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Guy,I am in the parking lot waiting to go into the game. If you don't want to read the thread, then pass on bye. No one forcing you to read. Just biding some time before I go into the stadium.

Who's "Guy"?  Guy LaFleur, Guy Harvey, Guy Fieri?

You start a thread titled "Is BB getting a pass..." and then critique a draft four drafts ago to show that he's a lousy GM, and you expect everybody to just agree with you?  

Nice try.  Guy Boucher said to say "hi."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I do think Belichick gets a little bit of a pass, but he deserves it - he is the best coach in the NFL and the best coach we will ever have. I think his drafts have been average over the past five years, but that is the draft in a nutshell...it happens. I think the free agent signings over the last two years have been poor, but that has more to do with them always reaching for value. In the end Bill Belichick the coach will make up for the mistakes that are brought in...having Brady helps just a tad too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I suppose I don't get what is meant by "getting a pass." His drafts have been criticized by fans and the media when they haven't been stellar, like '09 and a couple other years. By the way, some of those '09 picks are still in the league, even if they were not good enough to stick in New England.  

But in the end, you're not judged as a GM by the percentage of draft picks that make the team, you are judged by how well the team performs. 

In BB's case, that pretty much speaks for itself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

THere are 2 points here. Belichick the coach has shown he can overcome numerous personnel decisions/mistakes. He is truly the best in the business.

Belichick the GM/final decision maker has a spotty record with free agents, and is about league average in the draft. I would assume the release of Brace brought the 2009 draft out of moth balls( it did with Reiss as well today). 

Vollmer is a great pick. But to get 12 picks and after 2-3 years have 1 starter from the draft, no matter how you sugar coat it is not good. 

Regarding Chung, it's funny, I never thought he "won" a starters job via performance. He seemed to inherit the job thru attrition, but could not hold onto it thru injury/poor performance. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

I TOTALLY agree he is getting a pass from arm chair coaches and GMs in here!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't grade drafts.  I grade the product on the field.  He puts a great product on the field year in and year out, good enough.  Everything else is silly doll collector babbling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Davedsone's comment:

I don't grade drafts.  I grade the product on the field.  He puts a great product on the field year in and year out, good enough.  Everything else is silly doll collector babbling.

lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't think he has gotten a free pass on the board. Some people here are pretty vocal about their dspleasure with his drafting. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

He gets a pass from me. This is his seventh 12 win season since he has been in charge. Everyone makes mistakes in the draft. In 2009 I thought it might take 2 or 3 years to make them a legitimate contender again. I even thought the Pats might have to win the wildcard a couple of times before contending. He made them a contender in 1 season. In fact he did it on the fly during the 2010 season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

How did he do in 2010?

Sections
Shortcuts