Is BB getting a pass on these boards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Is BB getting a pass on these boards

Wow, football players got hurt and didn't pan out, who would have thunk it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I don't think he has gotten a free pass on the board. Some people here are pretty vocal about their displeasure with his drafting.

The Patriots are again one of the top 3 teams in the NFL. This doesn't help their argument.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

haha that's a really funny scene when i think about it. sitting at gillette up 7-0, 11-4 record, #2 seed home field advantage on the line and all of a sudden rkarp turns to his neighbors and asks.. you guys think BB is getting a pass? think about the 2009 draft. 

huhhhhh? 

[/QUOTE]

Yup

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After RKarp's favorite team, the Jets, looking like absolute slugs vs feeble Buffalo, not fighting for Rexie and NE's D ascending without even the starting lineup out there, it's a bad week for RKarp.

A great week for diehard Pats fans who have been around for a lot longer, as loyal as they have been, for a lot longer than 5 years.

[/QUOTE]

+1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think he has gotten a free pass on the board. Some people here are pretty vocal about their displeasure with his drafting.

The Patriots are again one of the top 3 teams in the NFL. This doesn't help their argument.

[/QUOTE]

What is my argument? I was just saying ... he doesn't get a free pass. There are more than a few on the board that have questioned his drafts. 

There are also even MORE people that question his coaching here, albeit indirectly. 

I made no comment about Bill's draft performance. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

When you consider their drafting position is constantly in the bottom five of the draft, having "average" drafts is really pretty astounding. It means even though his draft position is bottom 5, his drafts are actually producing a minimum of ten positions higher. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What is my argument? I was just saying ... he doesn't get a free pass. There are more than a few on the board that have questioned his drafts. 

There are also even MORE people that question his coaching here, albeit indirectly. 

I made no comment about Bill's draft performance. 

[/QUOTE]

You were referring to the third person as was I.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, football players got hurt and didn't pan out, who would have thunk it?

[/QUOTE]

That's fair, you can blame a poor draft on injuries. After 3 years you should be able to draw final conclusions. 

I see it a little differently. I simply don't see Chung having the skill set to play safety in the NFL. I also thought the issues with Butler and Tate were mental, not physical. They simply weren't smart enough to play the system the Pats wanted to play. That is on the scout department. 

I thought Brace and Pryor were derailed by injury. Both could have been rotational players year by year a potential roster cut. 

I would have expected more out of 3 second round draft picks. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guy,I am in the parking lot waiting to go into the game. If you don't want to read the thread, then pass on bye. No one forcing you to read. Just biding some time before I go into the stadium.

[/QUOTE]

Who's "Guy"?  Guy LaFleur, Guy Harvey, Guy Fieri?

You start a thread titled "Is BB getting a pass..." and then critique a draft four drafts ago to show that he's a lousy GM, and you expect everybody to just agree with you?  

Nice try.  Guy Boucher said to say "hi."

[/QUOTE]

Muzzle,

I am tail gating at the game with some other fans. The discussion turns to Brace and his release. The 09 draft is revisited amongst 6-8 people. I warm up in the car and tool around on the iPad and throw it out there. 

Wow, is that too hard to fathom? 

Please refer me to where I said BB was a lousy GM? I asked if he is getting a free pass regarding the draft years on players who should be core players. 

As someone else said, BB did a great job plugging in undrafted players Francis, Lovie, Connolly, Wendell, Arrington to make up for the weak draft. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

haha that's a really funny scene when i think about it. sitting at gillette up 7-0, 11-4 record, #2 seed home field advantage on the line and all of a sudden rkarp turns to his neighbors and asks.. you guys think BB is getting a pass? think about the 2009 draft. 

huhhhhh? 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is funny. But you should try to go to a game once in a while and sit with other season ticket holders. The conversation is EXACTLY about things like this, and there was a lot of discussion on Brace, his release and BC roots. Lots of speculation on Chung as well during the game. ( consensus amongst my section of the stands is Chung is gone) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chung and Prior aren't on the team?

[/QUOTE]

Pryor hasn't played since week 2 of 2011

Chung seemingly on the way out. 

The three 2 nd rd busts should be making big contributions this year. Lets not forget there were also two 3 rd busts that same year 

amazing the Pats are playing so well with 2009 draft so down. Kudos to BB the coach, jeers to BB the GM ( can anyone on this board criticize BB yet still be a Pats fan)

[/QUOTE]

How did he do in 2010?

[/QUOTE]

He did great in 2010 ( thankfully)

team was a obviously aging, needed a turnover and infusion of youth, speed, and overall talent. 2010, 2011 and 2012 look very good.....doesn't it make you wonder what happend in 06, 07, 08, 09 and what could have been?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I have been one of the few that,have criticized BB the GM. 06-09 was a black hole in drafting. Simply not enough contributors remaining from those years, and not a great job in FA as well. However, BB plugged holes as he typically does better than anyone else and we remain competitive. You can't ask for more than that . Sure, I wish those years would have yielded more fruit, and maybe we hit on some better FA's, but the only thing that matters is winning, and BB has delivered that in spades. 

this coming offseason is going to be critical. bb is going to have a lot of tough personnel decisions to make and probably the lowest number of draft picks in his tenure entering the draft. I personally would rather spend this time talking about all the moving pieces next year. I do agree with rkarp that DL is a big need. Resigning Wes is another. and there are many more. 

what bb does better than anyone else, and this is why I don't think you can separate the GM from the coach, is he builds enough meat in the middle of this roster, is expert in identifying udfa talent, and conditions versatility for plug and play into different positions. This is not just about player selection, but playing development, complimentary skill sets, etc. he is the master of this. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

Muzzle,

I am tail gating at the game with some other fans. The discussion turns to Brace and his release. The 09 draft is revisited amongst 6-8 people. I warm up in the car and tool around on the iPad and throw it out there. 

Wow, is that too hard to fathom? 

Please refer me to where I said BB was a lousy GM? I asked if he is getting a free pass regarding the draft years on players who should be core players. 

As someone else said, BB did a great job plugging in undrafted players Francis, Lovie, Connolly, Wendell, Arrington to make up for the weak draft. 

[/QUOTE]

OK, you didn't say he's a lousy GM, but you certainly inferred it. What exactly is he getting a pass on? Explain what you mean by that if it's not a commentary on his performance as a GM. I'm not sure how else to interpret it? If it's just a critique of one draft, four drafts ago, and not a commentary on anything else, then how is it relevant to anything? Or maybe you should just have titled the thread "Gee, the 2009 draft wasn't very good" or something like that.

His team wins 11+ games year after year. If he was just the GM and not the coach, he would be looked at as one of, if not the best in the business.  You don't judge a GM by how many players from a certain draft are still in the league, you judge him purely by the performance of the roster he is responsible for. 

If AJ Smith had a lousy 2009 draft but his team won as often as the Pats, he'd be getting an extension, not getting canned.

So BB made some lousy choices in 2009. Agreed. He's still the best in the business. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I've never understood the argument of "draft success" unless you put it in the context of what other teams in the league have done in terms of "hitting" in the draft over the course of a number of years versus what the Pats have done.  What percentage of players stick to a roster frome each draft on average?  And even then, can we agree that teams with (subjectively) better drafts may be poor teams with big roster needs and by default more young players stick to the final roster?   Throw in the injuries wild card (Cunningham, Spikes and Chung have all looked like bad picks at times) and it's likely that some drafts will look better than others.  

BB and his personnel guys have had some misses for sure, but the on-field product has looked pretty solid for a long time now. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK, you didn't say he's a lousy GM, but you certainly inferred it. What exactly is he getting a pass on? Explain what you mean by that if it's not a commentary on his performance as a GM. I'm not sure how else to interpret it? If it's just a critique of one draft, four drafts ago, and not a commentary on anything else, then how is it relevant to anything? Or maybe you should just have titled the thread "Gee, the 2009 draft wasn't very good" or something like that.

I would say that drafts 2006-2009 were poor, and cost the team playoff wins and potentially additional SB's. As someone who attends play off games, and 1 SB game, the topic of playoffs and SB comes up in conversation frequently with other season ticket holders.

His team wins 11+ games year after year. If he was just the GM and not the coach, he would be looked at as one of, if not the best in the business.  You don't judge a GM by how many players from a certain draft are still in the league, you judge him purely by the performance of the roster he is responsible for.

You also judge a GM by how many play off and SB wins he has. WHile BB has been very good in this regard, I think that those draft years have cost this team additional playoff wins 

If AJ Smith had a lousy 2009 draft but his team won as often as the Pats, he'd be getting an extension, not getting canned.

This ownership group, and fan base paying these ticket prices are demanding of more than regular season wins.

So BB made some lousy choices in 2009. Agreed. He's still the best in the business. 

He is the best coach in the business. Period. As a GM,  he has managed the salary cap better than any other team over the past decade (although we do not know if that is solely on BB). He has identified players that can play his system very well, and understands when to pull the plug if it is not working, better than anyone in the business. As a GM who has brought players in thru the draft and free agency, I think BB is league average in the draft, with a 4 year dry spell followed by 3 very good years, and I think BB is average to below average in his free agency decisions.  I dont infer that as saying BB is a lousy GM as you stated, and I see no reason to bring up other GM's in the conversation as the other person on this thread constantly does. I simply think that BB had a 4 year dry spell when drafting, and it came up as a point of interest amongst other fans at the game. Certainly Brace getting cut, and Chung playing poorly were 99% of the reason this was brought up. Most in attendance (about 8 at the tail gate and maybe 20 in our section of the stadium) commented on it, and found it interesting. I did as well, and posted on this conversation board. Obviously most on this board dont care, my error. But most on this board are hanging out thinking they are arm chair GM's, never attending games, never paying the ticket costs, and thinking BB is infallable. I on the other hand, will call it as I see it. You are free to comment, or not... 

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

huhhhhh? 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is funny. But you should try to go to a game once in a while and sit with other season ticket holders. The conversation is EXACTLY about things like this, and there was a lot of discussion on Brace, his release and BC roots. Lots of speculation on Chung as well during the game. ( consensus amongst my section of the stands is Chung is gone) 

[/QUOTE]

Who cares if they walk away from Chung?  They can address it in FA, maybe Tavon Wilson breaks through,  or they can draft high to bolster it.

You act as if no NFL team walks away from a 2nd rd pick after the rookie deal expires.  He's injury prone. It happens.  They'll walk away because of health issues.  It's a good thing he didn't cost a lot.  The pick came from Cassel, dumb-dumb.  

You act like BB ran over your grandmother. Everyone in that parking lot should REALLY be talking about Brady playing well in the postseason this year, because he's been wildly inconsistent in the postseason since 2006, if not 2005, ironically IN DENVER with a Pick 6 and other issues, the place where it might come down to taking out Gomer. Yep.   That's REALLY what the fans in the lot should be talking about if they're being honest.  Of course, the fans you run with are dorky fantasy fans with high def tvs in their pick ups not even inside for kick off!  Yep. I've seen it.

You ain't fooling anyone.

I'll tell you right now, DORK....WHen I used to go to games there we got REALLY LOUD in the stands when that defense was on the field. Now, you can hear a pin drop. And all the REAL fans who have decided to de-gift their tickets or sell them for cash, who don't go like they used to, ARE BETTER FANS THAN YOU.

Trust me.  When I used to go there through high school, we MADE NOISE and we didn't need a little sound effect foghorn to tell us to do it. I go back every couple years now to take in a game, and my oh my has our fanbase there changed.  Some legit fans still remain, but you're not one of them. 

And, I wouldn't think for a million years to be texting or calling people from the lot as I tailgated either.  I was BUSY. Busy being a human being with the people I was with, enjoying the environment, some nice bevrages and delightful tailgatiing fare.

You wouldn't know how to have a good time if Mila Kunis landed on your face, you dink.  Your midlde name is wet blanket, apparently.

[/QUOTE]

Since thre is no longer an "ignore" option on BDC, would someone tell this idiot that I am ignoring him?

Thank you.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Considering the Pats are going to the playoffs again, I don't think his job is in question. Kraft will keep him until the team stops winning.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

@OP...

I'm surprised some of the posters on this board haven't called you, "rjet" yet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The bad news: Yes, Belichick has been "getting a pass" for years. Face it, the guy sucks.

The good news: Lots of guys who are much better will soon be available.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The bad news: Yes, Belichick has been "getting a pass" for years. Face it, the guy sucks.

The good news: Lots of guys who are much better will soon be available.

[/QUOTE]

+1

I don't get why saying BB has had fits drafting a few spots (CB/S, WR) and had a few bad drafts overall = saying he "5uck5". 

In the end, without nitpicking, there are few GM's who draft as well as he. He is "in the mix" as one of the best. The sheer amount of talent he has drawn into the offense and LBing crew alone is just great. 

Consider the RBs he picked, the TEs, and the ILBs and most recently the DE. Yeah, he still had to go to Fa to get Talib, and I question a few other players, but overall he is great. Sadly, I think it's just a testament to the NFL and parity that an injury in an untimely fashion (Gronk last playoff series) can derail the 'validation' some people seek to show that 'greatness.'

If Gronk isn't a no-show in the Superbowl, then NE probably has 'just enough' to edge the Giants, and suddenly, everyone feels better.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

this is probobaly the dumbest thread ever posted on here