Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AusPatsFan. Show AusPatsFan's posts

Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach?

Hi,
    First time posting here but I've been following some of these threads for a while and it's always a great read. In particular, the run-the-ball-more crowd versus the others. Looking at SB 46 I can see good points from either side but at the end of the day it's our offense, which has more talent, that should be our strength. Some of the problems with our D were also caused by the O.

The Gronk INT was particularly painful because (I think it was this play) Woodhead was 15 yards down the field, completely alone, waving at Brady. He was even standing roughly between Brady and Gronk so should have been picked up. The safety was dumb and robbed our D of some much-needed rest, kept the ball in the Gints' hands. The run play-calling was also horrible. Several times (notably the play leading to the infamous 2nd and 11) they line up and it was obvious even to me they were running BJGE up the middle. To put that in perspective, I've moved to Australia and only get to watch a handful of Pats games a year so I'm not exactly an expert on our playbook. Sure, Benny isn't a top 5 back but if we're calling obvious run plays his effectiveness is even more limited. 

Do any of those things better and we have the ball longer and keep the ball out of Eli's hands (geez I'm sick of hearing how "elite" everyone thinks he is).

Am I happy with the D's performance? Not quite, they gave up some dumb, avoidable penalties. However, I think our Elite top 3 offense is the more capable portion of this team and they came up short.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach?:
    [QUOTE]Hi, First time posting here but I've been following some of these threads for a while and it's always a great read. In particular, the run-the-ball-more crowd versus the others. Looking at SB 46 I can see good points from either side but at the end of the day it's our offense, which has more talent, that should be our strength. Some of the problems with our D were also caused by the O. The Gronk INT was particularly painful because (I think it was this play) Woodhead was 15 yards down the field, completely alone, waving at Brady. He was even standing roughly between Brady and Gronk so should have been picked up. The safety was dumb and robbed our D of some much-needed rest, kept the ball in the Gints' hands. The run play-calling was also horrible. Several times (notably the play leading to the infamous 2nd and 11) they line up and it was obvious even to me they were running BJGE up the middle. To put that in perspective, I've moved to Australia and only get to watch a handful of Pats games a year so I'm not exactly an expert on our playbook. Sure, Benny isn't a top 5 back but if we're calling obvious run plays his effectiveness is even more limited.  Do any of those things better and we have the ball longer and keep the ball out of Eli's hands (geez I'm sick of hearing how "elite" everyone thinks he is). Am I happy with the D's performance? Not quite, they gave up some dumb, avoidable penalties. However, I think our Elite top 3 offense is the more capable portion of this team and they came up short.
    Posted by AusPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Well put and welcome!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Well, the only person I saw downfield waving his hands because he was open was Gronk.  Woodhead was running back and forth parallelling the line about five yards back as far as I can tell.  It was a bad throw by Brady . . . don't want to defend his throw. But Gronk was wide open for a while.  Brady just underthrew the ball.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]Well, the only person I saw downfield waving his hands because he was open was Gronk.  Woodhead was running back and forth parallelling the line about five yards back as far as I can tell.  It was a bad throw by Brady . . . don't want to defend his throw. But Gronk was wide open for a while.  Brady just underthrew the ball.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

No doubt about that. Gronk, bad ankle and all had his guy clearly beat and waved for the ball. Had it not been underthrown it would have been a touchdown. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Hi, First time posting here but I've been following some of these threads for a while and it's always a great read. In particular, the run-the-ball-more crowd versus the others. Looking at SB 46 I can see good points from either side but at the end of the day it's our offense, which has more talent, that should be our strength. Some of the problems with our D were also caused by the O. The Gronk INT was particularly painful because (I think it was this play) Woodhead was 15 yards down the field, completely alone, waving at Brady. He was even standing roughly between Brady and Gronk so should have been picked up. The safety was dumb and robbed our D of some much-needed rest, kept the ball in the Gints' hands. The run play-calling was also horrible. Several times (notably the play leading to the infamous 2nd and 11) they line up and it was obvious even to me they were running BJGE up the middle. To put that in perspective, I've moved to Australia and only get to watch a handful of Pats games a year so I'm not exactly an expert on our playbook. Sure, Benny isn't a top 5 back but if we're calling obvious run plays his effectiveness is even more limited.  Do any of those things better and we have the ball longer and keep the ball out of Eli's hands (geez I'm sick of hearing how "elite" everyone thinks he is). Am I happy with the D's performance? Not quite, they gave up some dumb, avoidable penalties. However, I think our Elite top 3 offense is the more capable portion of this team and they came up short.

Did you know that elite #3 offense was missing (virtually) its #1 weapon because of injury? I think most everybody heard about that. Did you expect them to be elite despite that?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : Did you know that elite #3 offense was missing (virtually) its #1 weapon because of injury? I think most everybody heard about that. Did you expect them to be elite despite that?
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe if you look at the interception again Gronk had his man cleanly beat and would have scored had the ball not been underthrown. That said having your number one weapon at less than 100 percent would definitely hurt, we don't know how much because only he knows how he felt. I'm sure it affected him though, not arguing that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AusPatsFan. Show AusPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : Did you know that elite #3 offense was missing (virtually) its #1 weapon because of injury? I think most everybody heard about that. Did you expect them to be elite despite that?

I absolutely agree that having Gronk virtually nullified was a factor. That was a huge blow to the team. However I did expect them to be able to make up for this and still perform near to their usual elite selves. Athletes suffer injuries all the time and while this one hurt more than most, we can't lean on this reason as to why our O struggled. At the end of the day Gronk is just a TE and the game was there for the taking regardless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AusPatsFan. Show AusPatsFan's posts

Also, thanks for the welcomes to the site.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : No, it wouldn't.  Did Moss help Maroney?  No. 
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Could anyone help Maroney?  He doesn't even have a job in the NFL anymore.  After BB dumped him, his career ended.  Maybe that's why BB didn't use him quite as much as you think he should when he was here.  Maybe BB knew that Maroney wasn't really so good. His runs in the first half of the first (2007) Giants Super Bowl were pretty dismal for the most part. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : I absolutely agree that having Gronk virtually nullified was a factor. That was a huge blow to the team. However I did expect them to be able to make up for this and still perform near to their usual elite selves. Athletes suffer injuries all the time and while this one hurt more than most, we can't lean on this reason as to why our O struggled. At the end of the day Gronk is just a TE and the game was there for the taking regardless.

You expect them to perform near their elite selves with their biggest weapon hobbled? Wow. I can't see how that's possible. Do you think the Giants would have been near their selves with Eli rendered ineffective?

Gronk is "just a TE"?

You realize he just had the greatest TE season in history, right?

You realize only 4 times in league history his TDs catches have been exceeded, right?

You realize he was responsible for nearly a third of all their TDs, right?

You think subtracting that is no big deal?

The game was there for the taking. But the D let the Giants score a TD with 57 seconds left. Oops.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : No doubt about that. Gronk, bad ankle and all had his guy clearly beat and waved for the ball. Had it not been underthrown it would have been a touchdown. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

Yep . . . it wasn't so much a bad decision by Brady as a bad throw.  Brady should know his limits better (and also Gronk's limits with an injured ankle), but when you see your all-world TE all alone with only a LB on him--and the LB about 5 steps behind him--it's a tempting target. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : No, thank you! THe intelligent fans are seemingly outnumbered 2:1. It's like stopping into a Walmart to buy deodorant.
    Wow! I sure hope you aren't admitting to shopping at Wally World.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : No, thank you! THe intelligent fans are seemingly outnumbered 2:1. It's like stopping into a Walmart to buy deodorant.

It's more like you're outnumbered 12:1. And no intelligent fan wants to trade Brady and fire BB if they don't heed your nonsense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

BB is getting the job done as head coach and gm. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AusPatsFan. Show AusPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : You expect them to perform near their elite selves with their biggest weapon hobbled? Wow. I can't see how that's possible. Do you think the Giants would have been near their selves with Eli rendered ineffective? Gronk is "just a TE"? You realize he just had the greatest TE season in history, right? You realize only 4 times in league history his TDs catches have been exceeded, right? You realize he was responsible for nearly a third of all their TDs, right? You think subtracting that is no big deal? The game was there for the taking. But the D let the Giants score a TD with 57 seconds left. Oops.

If Eli or Brady weren't playing in the SB I accept that as a reason as to why an offense doesn't execute properly. I absolutely acknowledge how much Gronk contributed to this team. Yes, having a healthy Gronk might have made the difference but he shouldn't be relied on so heavily. They knew coming into the game what he was capable of. The Pats did enough to win without him but not having him healthy was less of a factor that the glaring mistakes that were made during the game. I'm not giving the D a pass, I think they could have played better. Summing this up, both the O and the D made mistakes and didn't execute any of the potential game-ending plays but given the level of talent and the reputations on each side of the ball, who do you think should have done the better job?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : If Eli or Brady weren't playing in the SB I accept that as a reason as to why an offense doesn't execute properly. I absolutely acknowledge how much Gronk contributed to this team. Yes, having a healthy Gronk might have made the difference but he shouldn't be relied on so heavily. They knew coming into the game what he was capable of. The Pats did enough to win without him but not having him healthy was less of a factor that the glaring mistakes that were made during the game. I'm not giving the D a pass, I think they could have played better. Summing this up, both the O and the D made mistakes and didn't execute any of the potential game-ending plays but given the level of talent and the reputations on each side of the ball, who do you think should have done the better job?

I agree. It was close. Both sides of the ball had their share of moments that could have been the win.

It's too bad the D couldn't have gotten that last stop though. That would have really boosted their stock in the eyes of their many detractors.

We did give them a hell of a fight though, considering our probably future HOF TE was broken.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : While I do agree that belicheat is a good coach I also don't think it's a mere coincidence that he hasn't won since Weis, Crennel and Pioli left. I just think he should stick to coaching and leave being the GM to someone else.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969[/QUOTE]

a 40+ year old man saying "belicheat"? get a grip man.....seems like you have as many friends as you have hair on your head....none

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

Back to the OP.........

Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach?

Well, the answer is simple. Since he hasn't won since '04, no, he isn't getting it done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AusPatsFan. Show AusPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : I agree. It was close. Both sides of the ball had their share of moments that could have been the win. It's too bad the D couldn't have gotten that last stop though. That would have really boosted their stock in the eyes of their many detractors. We did give them a hell of a fight though, considering our probably future HOF TE was broken.

Yep, agreed on all points. Woulda been great with a full Gronk and it would have so sweet to see what the media would say about the Pats D if their darling little Eli had been stopped there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : Yep, agreed on all points. Woulda been great with a full Gronk and it would have so sweet to see what the media would say about the Pats D if their darling little Eli had been stopped there.

IF a frog had a parachute it wouldn't slap it's azz on the ground every time it hopped.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : IF a frog had a parachute it wouldn't slap it's azz on the ground every time it hopped.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969[/QUOTE]

you are so freakin weird, but anyways, yes it didnt happen....but the defense still did play well....allowing only 19 points to an offense featuring eli, cruz, manningham, nicks, and bradshaw is not terrible....obviously the only thing people will remember are the welker drop and eli's final drive, but thats not the whole story

Sections
Shortcuts