Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach?

In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : Please source this statement for the board to see. Thanks, Rational Pats Fans
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Here you go Russ.

“I’ll take responsibility for all the plays that are called,” Belichick said.  “I have the final say on it.  If I don’t want to run the play, I’ll call it off.  That’s my right as a head coach.  So, the bad ones, blame me for, because ultimately, I could change them if I want to.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2011/11/16/patriots-coach-bill-belichick-breaks-down-the-play-calling-duties-for-the-first-time/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? :   it's a shame his best player couldn't seal the deal TWICE in the last qtr . He left the field 3 times with the lead, once with 3:30 left, one with 2:30, one with 1:30...to me that equals "sealing the deal"...guess Brady has to play defense too for him to win when it counts
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

he left the field with the same score that they had in the beginning of the 3rd quarter....i understand what you are saying, but the offense could have done a lot more to help the defense

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : The Ocho money could have been better spent, eh? But that is another discussion. BB the GM and BB the HC are really different subjects.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Hey man, I saw at least 70 catches outa that dude....

BB should definitley spend some money on the D though... sorta like that 07' overhaul on offense but on the D this time....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : i dont think anything can explain the two heave int's by brady other than two mental lapses or him trying to be a hero....i guess i have less of a problem with the pass against baltimore since it was really an incredible int and was really more of him trying to put the nail in the coffin, still no excuse for it though. the int in the super bowl was incredibly stupid however, throwing it deep on 1st down near mid field to a guy playing on one ankle? i really dont get that, they had a chance to run more clock and get a field goal at least and TB just throws it away like that....he made a heck of a move to evade the pass rush, only to crap on what he had just done
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

I think there is a method to that madness. 

1) I don't generally think that D's expect a home run ball on first down so the opposing defense may not be prepared for it.   
    2) if a great QB with a good receiver is against a suspect defender one on one, its worth a try. 
    3) even if the play fails the defense now knows they have to be prepared for it in the future and adjust accordingly which may open up other routes or run plays. 
    4) if the play fails because the receiver fails to get separation, it also tells the offense for the future that a certain play may not be available. 
    4) the only things that can't happen is an int or as in Brady's first play of the SB, a safety. 
    5) when that happens, the QB has to take the brunt of the blame. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : he left the field with the same score that they had in the beginning of the 3rd quarter....i understand what you are saying, but the offense could have done a lot more to help the defense
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]
    Not unlike colts teams of the past, the pats offense is expected "win" vs. the opposing defense.  When this happens, your team almost automatically wins. 

In the SB - Brady failed majorly early in the game by giving up immediate points to the opposition, giving the opposition momentum with those points and putting the ball back in the giants hands with excellent field position.  

Rather than being able to take advantage of the Giants, the pats were left with playing catch up.  The offense did this very very effectively in the second quarter and first possession of the third, but rather than being up 10 points (or more) they were only up 8 with more than 1 1/2 quaters left to play. 

You can look at individual plays if you like, but in general, New England never had enough of a lead to force the Giants to play the kind of game New England's defense likes. 

New England's defense is getting better - particularly in the front seven (better than I thought they would be), but they are not the catalyst for the team.  Tom Brady's offense is. 

The QB can play an otherwise statistically good game, but he needs to be more than that.  He needs to carry the team.  He didn't do enough of it.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your team got lucky in SB 42 with a miracle duck, with two iffy PI calls in November and then our crappy OC and mental breakdown Brady giving your team chances to come back.  If NE had a better.. If NE... Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]
    Oh please stop with the excuses and the "ifs". 

If NYG got just one of those possible PI calls and if the ref hadn't called a highly questionable holding call against Boothe (didn't wilfork admit it wasn't holding), the SB you are crying about now might not have even been a game. 

The holding call alone changed the game.  If not for it, the Giants would have been rolling with a 1st down in FG range with 4 minutes to go in the half.  The pats defense was reeling at that point and either a FG or Touchdown would have put the Giants up 12-3 or 16-3 with less time for the pats to score on the final drive of the first half.  Could you imagine what the game might have been if the Giants had gone into halftime up 16-3? 

I mean if we are going to deal in hypotheticals, you must consider the other side of things as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What you're saying is, "I want BB to micromanage everyone", which would obviously be a lead story daily on ESPN if he did that.
    And what you are saying is that you don't take people at their word unless you do.  How slanted is that? 

question - in your infinite wisdom, how do you decipher between what is truth and what is "coach speak"?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Knowing how BB works to protect both his players and coaches, as a leader, it's not slanted at all. Babe must be new to following the Pats.
    baloney!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, right.  Let's pretend throwing co-workers under the bus is the professional thing to do. Just because Gomer threw his O Line under the bus to protect his ego, doesn't mean that's the way to go, Underpants.
    I never said it was but I am willing to bet you are not truly clairvoyant and know whether what Belichick is saying is truth or coachspeak.  And without that knowledge you have to take the man at his word.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

As a Head Coach yeah, as a GM, NO!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach? : He'll call it off. I'll take responsibillity. He's covering for O'Brien, you moron. Most normal adults would read this to be BB taking blame to cover for his subordinates which is what a good leader does. What you're saying is, "I want BB to micromanage everyone", which would obviously be a lead story daily on ESPN if he did that.

Stop with the idiotic spin.

You're trying to tell us that BB doesn't like the excessive passing and spread formations but he is powerless to stop Brady and/or OB. You spin it that he's too busy or something to put a stop to the one thing you say is hurting this team the most.

THAT'S RIDICULOUS.

Then confronted with proof by BB's own words you try to spin it into meaning other than what he said.

You are a mental case.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Umm, I go by patterns and consistency. If O'Brien took a dump on BB's headset, BB would defend O'Brien publicly. Has nothing to do with clairvoyancy, it has to do with knowing how BB operates as a coach and leader. Period.
    So be it, but if after being dumped on, Belichick says I deserved it, is he just protecting his minion or is he telling the truth? 

you have no idea when Belichick is talking coachspeak or telling the truth.  You asked Babe for evidence.  he gave it to you, and now you are attempting to spin your way out of it by suggesting you know when Belichick is just practicing coachspeak vs. telling the truth.  

give it up russ. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Is BB getting the job done as Head Coach?:
    [QUOTE]I see innumerable posts complaining about the Pats not running enough and using certain formations too much. So, is BB doing a good job as Head Coach if these great flaws exist? I think he's the best coach in the game and I have no complaints with his coaching.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how much credit BB can take on offense since there's some pretty talented players there. I know on defense year after year he's depending on value pick vets past their primes. I'd like to see him develop some homegrown pass rush solutions and also develop some CBs and WRs. He didn't want to run the defense we saw at the end of the year but he had no choice either because this team couldn't execute man defense. When the Pats lost in the SB it was absolutely no surprise to me. They look more like the run and gun Indy Colts than the 2003 Mt Washington defensive juggernaught. Why is it the good FAs don't want to come to NE anymore? Is it because its not fun to play in NE or they're cheap? It seems FAs avoid NE now and I wonder why. I like Chung and Mayo but who else is a legit defensive impact players he's brought in and developed? I love the Pats and I hate to be critical but this constant value syndrome just ensures you come up 4 points short all the time in the playoffs just like Indy used to every year. How about they actually draft high, spend some money in FA and win another SB before Brady starts with the neck surgeries?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Umm, I go by patterns and consistency. If O'Brien took a dump on BB's headset, BB would defend O'Brien publicly. Has nothing to do with clairvoyancy, it has to do with knowing how BB operates as a coach and leader. Period.

Dude you've got to be kidding me with this crap? Are you insinuating that Belichick doesn't have control over what the offense ultimately does? You think a head coach with Belichick's pedigree is going to allow some no name coordinator to do whatever the hell he wants? Why do you think Kraft pays Belichick 7 million per year? To just stand there and let O'Brien run the show? Hahahahaha! OMG!

I understand the fact that Belichick won't throw a guy under the bus to the media, but if you think for one second that Belichick doesn't have his finger strongly on the pulse of every aspect of this team you're crazy.

We pass so much because we have to. It's because the personnel is not there to run it consistently.  

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts