Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History?

Since he has worked his magic throughout the NFL "Era of Parity", and has had his team in SB contention for over a decade, I say he is. But, what's your opinion?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NonChalant1. Show NonChalant1's posts

Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History?

Remains to be seen.  He has to win one more to solidify it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

Yes he is! He's also the best GM in history or what we know of since the salary cap was introduced.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I say yes he is... but he needs one more championship to solidify his spot in my book. (I also will be shocked if he doesn't get at least one more).

That is a solid list you put up there, and the thing I come back to is this... He is the only coach who has dealt with Free agency, and the Salary cap while maintaining success.  I wonder how Guys like Lombardi, Noll and Brown would have done in the league now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Have to say that Don Shula's 328 career wins is extremely impressive. If BB were to average 10 wins a year for the next 15 years, he still would be behind Shula in career wins. Amazing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

In Response to Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History?:
    I say yes he is... but he needs one more championship to solidify his spot in my book. (I also will be shocked if he doesn't get at least one more). That is a solid list you put up there, and the thing I come back to is this... He is the only coach who has dealt with Free agency, and the Salary cap while maintaining success.  I wonder how Guys like Lombardi, Noll and Brown would have done in the league now.
    Posted by DaBlade

Right, the league has changed, more competition, salary cap, egos, complex schemes, it goes on and on. NFL coach is by far the toughest of any sport. They used to take most of the winter and spring off, now its nearly 24/7 year round with a couple of short breaks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

agreed. you really cant compare coaching or gming in this era to any non cap era.
    sean payton is really smart, but hed have to be consitently good for a long time to come near bb's accomplishments.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

Have to say that Don Shula's 328 career wins is extremely impressive. If BB were to average 10 wins a year for the next 15 years, he still would be behind Shula in career wins. Amazing.
    Posted by TexasPat

Shula was a great coach during that time, he won with different teams and it didn't matter who the QB was, they won. It was before my time but I think that like the Giants and Parcells I think his Dolphins won a superbowl with their backup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yes he is! He's also the best GM in history or what we know of since the salary cap was introduced.
    Posted by 15315k

Classic Rusty. Good grief man, TRY to make it look like this isn't just another account. This is pitiful.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Posted by 15315k

Hi Rusty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

In Response to Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History? : Hi Rusty.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Nothing better to do than follow my posts around here keyboard warrior? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Never in the history of the NFL has there been ONE GM/Coach who owes so much to one man as Belichick does to Tom Brady. That GM/Coach STILL thinks that man can continuously do it without a legit RB and WR.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Never in the history of the NFL has there been ONE GM/Coach who owes so much to one man as Belichick does to Tom Brady. That GM/Coach STILL thinks that man can continuously do it without a legit RB and WR.
    Posted by palookaski

True nuff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

He needs to retire first, once he does, he'll be without a doubt the greatest coach of all-time, the greates GM of all-time. But until then he's just one of the best coaches in today's NFL.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History? : wouldn't era of parity mean less great teams to face? hence last yrs schedule
    Posted by JintsFan

No. It would be much easier to win year after year with a set, dominant team. Currently in the NFL, there's a set of good teams consistently squaring off against good teams. In other words...lots of evenly matched teams, each with flaws, going at it.  

Let's take the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 70s. If there was a salary cap, could they have kept their great team intact over their dynastic run? How much money could a Mel Blount have demanded? Mean Joe Green? Jack Hamm? Jack Lambert? L.C. Greenwood? Dwight White? On offense...Terry Bradshaw? Franco Harris? Lynn Swann? John Stallworth? Mike Webster?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Interestingly, I don't see Coughlin on this list of choices. Why? Not enough room? He has as many SB wins as several on the list and I believe no SB losses.

Shannahan has 2 as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I had to go with Lombardi. Five titles in 15 years is phenomenal. A .736 W% over that long blows everybody else away too. And considering he passed away before his time, I just can't choose otherwise.

I think if BB had won these last 2 SBs he might well be the best ever considering the restrictions of the era. And BB isn't done yet. A couple more titles could boost him over the top.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Coughlin is a great coach when he has to be. Every 2 years he's on the chopping block for his job and he wins the superbowl. I like him cause he's old school and can take a good freezing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

BB is already amongst the greatest coaches ever......but imo he needs to win one more ring to be considered the best ever.....sure seems like they are loading up to do it this year

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Interestingly, I don't see Coughlin on this list of choices. Why? Not enough room? He has as many SB wins as several on the list and I believe no SB losses. Shannahan has 2 as well.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Or Joe Gibbs who won three titles with three different quarterbacks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

My vote is not to vote since I think these comparisons are very interesting fodder for conversation but in the real world meaningless, like finding the greatest QB of all time. If you limit your discussion to the each decade or maybe twenty year period the discussion is valid, but many of these coaches worked in completely different times & were all great but the game changes from era to era.

Like in basketball now King James is the best of all time, before him it was Michael Jordan, etc, etc. The latest in any sport seems to always be the greatest.

Just my totally invalid ramblings, 
    Hetchinspete

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

My vote is not to vote since I think these comparisons are very interesting fodder for conversation but in the real world meaningless, like finding the greatest QB of all time. If you limit your discussion to the each decade or maybe twenty year period the discussion is valid, but many of these coaches worked in completely different times and were all great in the own time.  Just my totally invalid ramblings,  Hetchinspete
    Posted by Hetchinspete

You're right. But some folks enjoy that kind of football talk. It can generate some interesting discussions, or not. Better to be discussing great coaches than gangbanging, no?

Sections
Shortcuts