Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History?

In Response to Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History?:
    In Response to Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History? : You're right. But some folks enjoy that kind of football talk. It can generate some interesting discussions, or not. Better to be discussing great coaches than gangbanging, no?
    Posted by BabeParilli

Babe,  

I couldn't agree more. It's always interesting discussion. We're past the SB loss and the draft is upcoming, I'm not sure when exactly and the posts on this site are retreads of too many past discussions. Aside from these retreads I guess by the lack of interesting posts that there is a lack of material to talk about. I haven't been online much but haven't noticed much about the Jests and Tebow. Maybe I just missed them but I thought that in Boston the latest lunacy out of the Jests would bring out laughter online. 

Pete

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History? : Babe,   I couldn't agree more. It's always interesting discussion. We're past the SB loss and the draft is upcoming, I'm not sure when exactly and the posts on this site are retreads of too many past discussions. Aside from these retreads I guess by the lack of interesting posts that there is a lack of material to talk about. I haven't been online much but haven't noticed much about the Jests and Tebow. Maybe I just missed them but I thought that in Boston the latest lunacy out of the Jests would bring out laughter online.  Pete
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I hear ya Pete. What can be said of the jets and Tebow? It's in the same category as learning about Rex's foot fetish. It's just a man bites dog bizarre story, but not unsurprising when you consider that the jets are as bizarre as the NFL gets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I had to go with Lombardi. Five titles in 15 years is phenomenal. A .736 W% over that long blows everybody else away too. And considering he passed away before his time, I just can't choose otherwise. I think if BB had won these last 2 SBs he might well be the best ever considering the restrictions of the era. And BB isn't done yet. A couple more titles could boost him over the top.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Lombardi had 5 titles from 1959 - 1967. He then had one year as coach of the Redskins in 1969 (when the Redskins went 7-5-2 and were suddenly more competitive). That would be 5 titles in 10 years, not 15. It would also have included 2 "first" years where he took over bad teams. So more realistically it is 5 titles in 8 years.

He was the offensive coach of the Giants before going to GB. Landry was the defensive coach of the Giants at the same time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History? : I hear ya Pete. What can be said of the jets and Tebow? It's in the same category as learning about Rex's foot fetish. It's just a man bites dog bizarre story, but not unsurprising when you consider that the jets are as bizarre as the NFL gets.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Babe, 

It cannot get more bizzare. 

But if used right Tebow is a very good athlete and in the right setting, not the Jets, it could be interesting. He's certainly a very talented runner but at running back I don't know. I'm not one to begrudge him his religious bent as many athletes after a TD thank Jesus, the Lord, etc and it's the press the blow it out of proportion. 

Tebow has a very high work ethic and in time could become a very good NFL passer as much as some may disagree. Only time will tell. 

Hetchinspete. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

BB praises Paul Brown as the man who pioneered the West Coast offense: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120331/SPT02/303310067/Belichick-PB-paved-way?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Comparisons across eras have little real world validity. Nothing is the same from era to era. Generally, our views are shaded by ethnocentrism: our leader (coach, QB) is the best because he is our leader. We fill in the facts to support the conclusion.

I think we can just talk about great QB's or great coaches but trying to determine the best is a ridiculous task. Yet, making fantasy projections of non existent realities is the "work" of a sports fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It killed me, but I had to put Lombardi ahead of Bill, although I think BB may catch him one day if he can keep up the pace and perhaps win another Championship.

I just hope someone like David Maraniss will be able to write a biography on Belichick - like the one he wrote in "When Pride Still Mattered". That may of been the best book I've read on a coach...it just was so thoroughly written.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

How is this even a question?  7 SB appearances as a coach, 5 rings?  BB would not lose if he was coaching in the weaker Lombardi era.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I don't put Brady at the top of the list. I don't put many Pats (all time greats) at any top of the list except for John Hannah. Maybe a Mike Haynes.

You're such anaincredible tool, it's fascinating.

Name another NFL coach who has been to 7 SBs.  Name another one who has been to 5 as a head coach.   Look at his postseason record. Look at his all time winning%.

All this in the cap era.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

It's just a real dumb question.  Cross generational comparisons are pointless.  To discount a coaches accomplishments because of the "weaker Lombardi era" is the mark of an unintelligent uneducated person.  The fact is, everyone had the same rules, same advantages and disadvantages as their piers regardless of the "weaker" era they may have been in.  But why would some clown use Belichick's accomplishments with the Giants prior to the cap to pad his stats while dissing the "weaker" era?  A lot more goes into it than how great a coach someone is.  Bill is a great coach who has a great QB and great ownership support.  Bill Walsh was the same.  Marv Levy, Jimmy, Parcells, Shanahan, and on and on.  All great coaches.
    Posted by Bustchise

"unintelligent uneducated"

LMAO!  Says a Jets troll who can't use words properly.  Anyone disputing the cap era as being more difficult is a moron to the nth degree.

That means Bustchise/Mangione/Jints Fan and every other NY/NJ are annoying tool we deal with here.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History? : So sad.  When confronted with logic you just lash out like a small child who can't have his way.  Why don't you explain to the world the correct way to point out that you are both unintelligent and uneducated. Your entire premise that life is so much harder now because there is a cap is completely flawed.  Today, every team has a cap.  In the 'weaker Lombardi era' no team had a cap.  Why was that easier?
    Posted by Bustchise

Why was pre free agency, less teams, and not having to worry about a budget easier?

LMAO

We have some very stupid people here and you need to include yourself in that group in case you already haven't, Phat Rex.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Is BB the Greatest Coach in NFL History? : Didn't Bill have three consecutive losing seasons during the weaker pre cap era? 
    Posted by Bustchise

No.  He was asked to rebuild an old Cleveland team with a slow footed QB who was done in 1991. In 1993, the cap was introduced, so it couldn't have been 3 straight seasons, dilspank.   Part of the reason he was hired was due to his approach to the new economics of the cap era NFL.  Modell should have listened better, which Modell admitted to later. 

Get your facts straight, Forrest.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

1991 and 1992 are two seasons, moron.

It's not a "claim". It's called basic math. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Yes. It started in 1993. And not only was I born then, kiddie, I was diddling schoolgirls while you were dropping steamy pancakes in your diapers in Jersey.

You and your moron cohorts are likely the only people here who think there is no difference in the pre cap and cap eras in the NFL.

You just can't make this stuff up.  Jets Fans = MORONS

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Sound great, Phat Rex.

Start a poll that asks which context was easier, pre cap or the current cap era.

Thanks,

Al Educated Pats Fans

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts